"Gamers aren't overcharged, they're undercharged"; New study claims games are too cheap.

IKnight

That's retarded. Who says games must be priced according to entertainment hours? Allowing me to play for longer doesn't mean the studio is generating any new content or value, the PLAYERS are. If anything, by that metric, heavily multiplayer focused games should cost LESS, as they often contain fewer assets and story content than games with fleshy single player campaigns.

Games should cost the right amount to cover development costs and make a profit. Even if this isn't already the case with 60$ releases, go ahead, raise the price to 80$ or 100$ - write it on the box though, don't try to hide the real price with season passes, day 1 dlc or, even worse, microtransactions with no real upper limit. This "study" is so detached from reality that I doubt anyone involved has ever played a videogame other than candy crush.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

4 hours ago, IKnight said:

He said if a gamer spent $60 for the game, an additional $20 per month for loot micro-transaction boxes and played around 2.5 hours a day for one year, it comes out to roughly 40 cents per hour of entertainment.

Someone want to explain this math to me?  $0.40/hr for a $80 ($60+$20) game would require 200hrs, but 2.5hrs per day for one year is about 912hrs of gameplay.

I mean, this all said, a game that can provide 200hrs of entertainment is a good value, but the majority of gamers don't see 200hrs out of a game.  Me, personally, the only game franchise I typically see hundreds of hours in are the Civilization titles.  And sure, that's why I buy them, because they'll give me hundreds of hours of gameplay but I rarely do over 30-50hrs in any other game, for many I play the story mode once and that's it.

13 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

Someone want to explain this math to me?  $0.40/hr for a $80 ($60+$20) game would require 200hrs, but 2.5hrs per day for one year is about 912hrs of gameplay.

The shill analysis expects people to pay 20 dollars in micro-transactions every month, not just once.

But the math still doesn't work out really...

(60 + (20*12)) / (2.5*365) = ~0.33

So it should be 33 cents per hour.

21 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

Best part of it is that the games I also have longer hours played like Civilization myself, The Witcher 3 and so on are all games that does not feature micro transactions, CS:GO would be the only exception but at least in there it is nothing but cosmetic.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

2 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

The shill analysis expects people to pay 20 dollars in micro-transactions every month, not just once.

But the math still doesn't work out really...

(60 + (20*12)) / (2.5*365) = ~0.33

So it should be 33 cents per hour.

Right, okay, I misread that... But that means we're still talking about 912hrs of gameplay in a year out a single purchase.

Okay, kudos to anyone who can squeeze THAT much entertainment out of a single purchase... But who outside of an EXTREME minority gets 900+hrs out of a single game???

Ladies and gentlemen

This is what happens when you're too engrossed in the business side that you lose touch with reality.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

I think it depends on the game. I'm in and out of GTA V for maybe a few hours at a time over a month.....

HOWEVER, I'm on my *countless* Skyrim profile on countless hours.. What year did that come out again? Oh and i bought it for PS3 first. Then Bought it for PC..... Even starting the clock at reaching the grey beards *first hour or so* I still play she shit out of this game probably more than any other game besides LoL (league of legends).

I literally "WASTED" *pun intended* $60 or however much it was on GTA V based off my playing time. Your welcome rockstar

But yet getting my moneys worth 10 fold on Skyrim.... EVEN when I bought it twice and not including the same first hour of gameplay... lol

The second purchase for PC was on steam sale but i was getting it anyways.....

Its the quality of the game and how much ones likes to play that style or type of game that makes it worth it. Its partially up to the devs to fit that certain style that gravitates their fans to that game. Bethesda kinda did that to me. I don't care what game trailer it is, if i see "Bethesda" in it, I try to look into it to see what its all about because i might like it. I also own Fallout3 for PS3 and PC and fallout 4 for PC and can always go back to those games and get another 8-10 hours in easy.

idk about this... games have cost me almost $2 per hour, but im also a pretty casual gamer.

most people are just casual gamers...

I thought the whole idea behind gaming was to have something that is somewhat cheap and fun to do when you otherwise have nothing else to do? like watching tv or a movie...

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

This sounds reasonable at first, but in reality it is false. Let's look at EA's financial records shall we?

Net revenue - 2.951 billions

Cost of goods sold - 1,181 billion

Gross profit - 1,77 billion dollars

Money spent on development - 0,758 billions

2017:

Net revenue - 4,845 billions

Cost of goods sold - 1,298 billion

Gross profit - 3.547 billions

Money spent on development - 1,205 billions

So from 2006 to 2017 the cost of development increased by 59%, and their gross profit increased by 100%. This whole idea that companies need additional revenue streams is simply not founded in reality.

They make more money now per dollar invested in developing games, so I don't think the whole "it costs more to develop games" argument holds up. Also, we're talking about a company with a gross profit of 3.547 billion dollars. 

They could give each and every of their employee a bonus of 333158 dollars and still make a profit of 1 billion dollars.

Edit:

Another thought I had regarding this, who is to say that movie tickets should be the yard stick for dollar per hour? Maybe it's those things that are overpriced and games are reasonably priced? Movie theaters are not exactly know for being reasonably priced.

Edit 2:

Holy crap as someone else pointed out this guy says games are cheap if you spend over 912.5 hours in the game. What about the average game where you might spend ~10 hours? All of a sudden games are expensive and should actually drop in price.

Thanks for grabbing the numbers. As I said in my original quote, there's an interesting discussion about the Point of Sale price and the way companies are generating revenue now. Production costs going up for a product with nearly no-cost to replication is a sign of the higher man-power needed for games these days. (Some of the greatest gaming classics had teams below 10 people.) However, their ability to find more ways to get people paying has clearly run well ahead of that.

The rise of F2P MMOs is probably the biggest catalyst, as it changed perspectives on the quality of what "F2P" meant. Took a while before it moved to normal games, but we're definitely there now. Even if Valve has been selling hats for bank for a very long time. (Though I'm still amazed it's EA that has become the gaming villain, and Activision suddenly isn't. Probably because Activision-Blizzard likes their properties to survive.)

The guy has direct ties to EA.

D5C18A8A-E0E4-4829-81DF-26BCF1129D9A.jpeg.eb2504420204ac6f7799df0306a3a3f3.jpeg

C83BE108-63B8-4113-B7CC-7ECA9496C2DC.jpeg.ac05924db8cbe05a1f22450224eefdd5.jpeg

137CBE34-F59A-4FF4-B756-CD7C63A93C0F.jpeg.b4fd1447ad4712e8204350a1b234f35e.jpeg

Spoiler

Quiet Whirl | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Mobo: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200 Mhz Graphics card: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING X TRIO PSU: Corsair RMx Series RM550x Case: Be quiet! Pure Base 600

Buffed HPHP ProBook 430 G4 | CPU: Intel Core i3-7100U RAM: 4GB DDR4 2133Mhz GPU: Intel HD 620 SSD: Some 128GB M.2 SATA

Retired:

Melting plastic | Lenovo IdeaPad Z580 | CPU: Intel Core i7-3630QM RAM: 8GB DDR3 GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 640M HDD: Western Digital 1TB

The Roaring Beast | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690 (BCLK @ 104MHz = 4,05GHz) Cooler: Akasa X3 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H RAM: Kingston 16GB DDR3 (2x8GB) Graphics card: Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB (Core: +130MHz, Mem: +230MHz) SSHD: Seagate 1TB SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB HHD: WD Red 4TB PSU: Fractal Design Essence 500W Case: Zalman Z11 Plus

AAA games are RECYCLED games.
Let me tell you what cost the most in creating a game. Good concept/idea.

And a good concept/idea requires time 

Big companies are skipping this step and milking existing titles. example:
COD_2014 -> COD_2015 -> COD_2016 -> COD_2017 -> ect.
SIMS1 -> SIMS2 -> SIMS3 ->SIMS4 -> ect.
NFS1 -> NFS2  -> NFS3 ->NFS4 -> ect.

No shipping Cost (or very very small) and IF developers decide to maintain servers instead of community That is theirs money and business.

Well if you guys think that its better to increase Price of the games, then so be it.

Lets see how much sales will drop or increase outside of US and see how Trustworthy is that study.

I know for sure that i will vote with my pocket.

28 minutes ago, ZackBarletto said:

I think it depends on the game. I'm in and out of GTA V for maybe a few hours at a time over a month.....

HOWEVER, I'm on my *countless* Skyrim profile on countless hours.. What year did that come out again? Oh and i bought it for PS3 first. Then Bought it for PC..... Even starting the clock at reaching the grey beards *first hour or so* I still play she shit out of this game probably more than any other game besides LoL (league of legends).

I literally "WASTED" *pun intended* $60 or however much it was on GTA V based off my playing time. Your welcome rockstar

But yet getting my moneys worth 10 fold on Skyrim.... EVEN when I bought it twice and not including the same first hour of gameplay... lol

The second purchase for PC was on steam sale but i was getting it anyways.....

Its the quality of the game and how much ones likes to play that style or type of game that makes it worth it. Its partially up to the devs to fit that certain style that gravitates their fans to that game. Bethesda kinda did that to me. I don't care what game trailer it is, if i see "Bethesda" in it, I try to look into it to see what its all about because i might like it. I also own Fallout3 for PS3 and PC and fallout 4 for PC and can always go back to those games and get another 8-10 hours in easy.

Your children will be buying copies of Skyrim on the next-next-next-next generation of consoles if Todd Howard has anything to do with it.

2 minutes ago, thorhammerz said:

If a gamer still has $15 in his pocket, then we charged him $15 less than we should have xD.

No, if a gamer has $15 in their pocket then we should have charged an extra $30 and given them a "discount" of $15.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

I've an idea.. let's instead do a study of games and the problems associated with it, like long loading times/getting kicked from a server after waiting x minutes/day one patches required etc. Then factor in the associated cost of wasted time when you could be playing instead.

I figure that they should PAY US for the beta testing on a product that's so buggy and shouldn't have been released yet.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

The last I checked, the consumer dictates the value of a product through demand, not in competition of other forms of media.

If these publishers feel confident, they should increase the prices, but I’m confident that unless it’s an already established franchise, like Call of Duty, the demand is going to drop drastically.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

1 hour ago, Ganz said:

I have no problem paying more for something I spend more time in, sure. But that is willingly vs being forced.  I am much more of the attitude that I pay what I think something is worth to me.  If I want to support the Devs I pay more (DLC, MT etc.)  Example I have over 3000 hours in Guild Wars 2.  Bought the game for $45.  Had ~1500 hours before the first expansion and only had an additional $100 or so in cosmetic MT over 3 years.  So I had no problem dropping money on the DLC. 

But, to say that games are under priced is outrageous.  90% of games out there you're lucky to get 60 hours out of it.  There's also a lot of other factors that go into gaming that don't go into other forms of entertainment.  Sure, going to the movie theater is more expensive in cost/hr than gaming up front.  But don't forget you need all the tools to play said game at home which you should factor in cost/hr. 

I agree that comparing games to movies in silly, but entertaining that idea for a moment, and fleshing out your very good point about needing equipment to play the game, you could make up just about any numbers, right?

Say you have a $1000 computer (not counting peripherals) every 3 years to play AAA titles at medium-high settings. That's a completely arbitrary number so let's not get caught up on that. Say it draws ~500 watts from the wall and you play 3 hours a day on the weekdays and 5 hours on the weekends (conservative for my kids brothers, the opposite for the parents on here ;-) ), that's 1300 hours a year, or at say $0.15USD per Kilowatt-Hour ($0.20USD in the EU), that's ~$100USD per year.

$1000/3 years + $100/1 year = ~$430/year, not counting the AAA $60USD or greater for the game, not including micro-transactions.

That brings some tangible numbers to mind.

Sure, raise the prices then and see what happens.

I can make a paper airplane and try to sell it for $100 but nobody is going to buy it.

I really do like how they quote out the price of seeing a movie in a theater as a comparison. Considering I haven't been to a theater to see a movie in a couple of years primarily due to the fact that the prices have gotten ridiculous I no longer see it as being worth it for the price. I also don't subscribe to cable television as even at the low price of $0.60 an hour or whatever they quoted I still don't find it worth spending my money on.

Bottom line is that you can price something however you want but you still have to deal with market forces when it comes to actually selling the product, that is until they can coerce you into paying for it though legislation...

3 minutes ago, imreloadin said:

Sure, raise the prices then and see what happens.

I can make a paper airplane and try to sell it for $100 but nobody is going to buy it.

I really do like how they quote out the price of seeing a movie in a theater as a comparison. Considering I haven't been to a theater to see a movie in a couple of years primarily due to the fact that the prices have gotten ridiculous I no longer see it as being worth it for the price. I also don't subscribe to cable television as even at the low price of $0.60 an hour or whatever they quoted I still don't find it worth spending my money on.

Bottom line is that you can price something however you want but you still have to deal with market forces when it comes to actually selling the product, that is until they can coerce you into paying for it though legislation...

I agree. Looking at some of the most popular games currently their upfront cost is less than $60 which allows more users to have access, which spreads word of mouth, which gets more people interested....and so on and so forth.  (Games I'm referencing: Overwatch, League of Legends, PUBG, CSGO, Hearthstone)

22 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Your children will be buying copies of Skyrim on the next-next-next-next generation of consoles if Todd Howard has anything to do with it.

Well yeah, if people are dumb enough to keep buying it then why the hell wouldn't they keep having it ported?

You're telling me that if you were in his shoes that you wouldn't do the exact same thing? It's not like it keeps them from making other new games, they know they still have to do that if they want to keep doing the staying in business thing xD

I'll tell you what would stop that behaviour dead in it's tracks though...people stopped buying it!

6 minutes ago, imreloadin said:

Well yeah, if people are dumb enough to keep buying it then why the hell wouldn't they keep having it ported?

You're telling me that if you were in his shoes that you wouldn't do the exact same thing? It's not like it keeps them from making other new games, they know they still have to do that if they want to keep doing the staying in business thing xD

I'll tell you what would stop that behaviour dead in it's tracks though...people stopped buying it!

I didn't say it was wrong, I was just making a joke about it. :)

1 minute ago, Taf the Ghost said:

I didn't say it was wrong, I was just making a joke about it. :)

Ahh gotcha, thought you were taking the "it's just a screwjob from Bethesda" route that I saw in the other thread about it being ported to the Switch.

I've always wondered about people who post stuff like that, maybe they think Todd Howard will be waiting under their beds to get them if they don't buy it for every console they own xD