"Gamers aren't overcharged, they're undercharged"; New study claims games are too cheap.

IKnight

This is stupid. It's popular so it should cost more? Yeah I know gaming is cheap in comparison to going out with friends and buying food/entertainment, but it's a product being offered to everyone in the world to buy rather than just those in a small geographical area.

Cost per Hour... yeah, you can only come to this conclusion if you considered games as a "service" instead of an actual product.

Ok, so what about games that have zero replay value and are less than 3 hours, at full price?
That's over charging according to their cost per hour method of comparing.

And who plays the same game every single day, for an entire year, without ever getting tired of it...

No two games are the same length,comparing a game to a movie or TV is like comparing an orange to an apple, it's not the same. While movies and TVs generally are always the same length (24 minutes tv show without ads to over 3 hours for movies)while games can be as short as a few minutes to hundreds of hours.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

My game library has one game at 143 hours and all others at an average of 18 hours.  Not sure who plays as much as they think people do, but it's not me.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

17 minutes ago, TOMPPIX said:

SpKbfBV.png

vUanMP2.png

I wonder if this breaks any investment/consumer laws over there, claiming to release independent study into the value of a product when you work for the company that makes said product?  

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

20 hours ago, AshleyAshes said:

Right, okay, I misread that... But that means we're still talking about 912hrs of gameplay in a year out a single purchase.

Okay, kudos to anyone who can squeeze THAT much entertainment out of a single purchase... But who outside of an EXTREME minority gets 900+hrs out of a single game???

I believe he calculated with 1 game-free-day per week, that would reach about ~0.38$/h
Still we are talking about 782.5 hours per game. 

The actual play time seems to be an average of 60h (just an assumption by looking at GameLengths.com and howlongtobeat.com)

So if we calculate no season-passes, DLC, Micro transactions, ect. we would be talking about 1$/h (highly different depending on the game itself and "replayability")

What I find amusing by this 'Study' is that it is based of the BASE game. that means Pure vanilla. You think about previous game Like MW3, MW2, Halo 4, Destiny, etc you have actually paid nearly £150 for those games if you include the DLC. 

Destiny1 Vanilla costs around £45-£50 (due to being on 360) You had 3 expansions all costing £20 each or £50 overall if you have the season pass. They then went on to give us taken King which was £25-£30  if I recall and finally Rise of Iron coming in around £25-£30 pounds So if you bought that as you went you pretty much spent £160 on the game (based of highest costs) and that's without using the micro transactions. Same goes for old titles like MW3 you bought it at £30-£35 bought I think 3-4 DLC's which cost £15-£20 each so that's already £130 roughly

So to say Games are undercharged is kinda false. If you are Vanilla players then meh maybe. But they will only get so many hrs out of a Base game. The 100+ people put into games are ones that usually put money into the games DLC and all.

So sorry this 'Study' isn't by far complete let alone a valid argument.

Secondly the payment that a company gets from making a game is based on how many sells. If they have Sold so many copies at Z'd price they have got a good payout anything more is a bonus and goes into funding content for that game. Game Companies aren't going huh lets sell this at £60 and that can be the wage a worker gets for working on this game for so many years.... 

Some people prefer a challenge, I just band my head against a wall until my method works...

8 hours ago, mr moose said:

My game library has one game at 143 hours and all others at an average of 18 hours.  Not sure who plays as much as they think people do, but it's not me.

Lol it's definitely me. According to PSN & Steam, I play games to their max.

Destiny: appx 547 hours, I dropped off when my clan dissolved around Rise of Iron

Fallout 3: 414 hours

Fallout 4: 339 hours

Skyrim: 468 hours

Diablo III: 417 hours, and is about to climb with Season 12

These are just the main one, I don't feel like pulling up older titles. But to the main point of this article, I don't think avg. gamers are willing to pay over $100 for AAA titles. I know going into Destiny, at about the time of the Taken King expansion I started to get pissed off with Bungie. The expansions were simply creating a new limit, meaning you had to fork up more money if you wanted the newer, better weapons because eventually your old weapons would get nerfed. I can't tell you how many times I had to switch up weapons for Trials because weapons that I worked towards would get nerfed in an update or a newer, better version would become available, meaning I had to buy the expansion to keep up. I think this is the business model that game makers are moving towards, but I think it's going to alienate some of their crowd.

17 hours ago, Paranoid Kami said:

This is stupid. It's popular so it should cost more? Yeah I know gaming is cheap in comparison to going out with friends and buying food/entertainment, but it's a product being offered to everyone in the world to buy rather than just those in a small geographical area.

No... What they’re saying is that per hour of enjoyment, video games have some of the lowest costs. Therefore there is room to increase the costs of games so that the cost per hour of enjoyment is equal to that of going to the movies, etc.

Basically he’s saying that people are already willing and able to pay for more expensive forms of enjoyment, so there is room to increase the price of games to that of equivalent forms of enjoyment I.e movies. 

An example would be: 

• A movie ticket costs $10, and the movie is 120min long. Therefore the cost per hour is $5. 
  • Witcher 3 costs $60, and I spent 70 hours on the game. Therefore the cost per hour is $0.86
  • There is therefore room to increase the cost of Witcher 3 up to $350 where the cost per hour would be $5. 

That said, we all know that very few would pay $350 for Witcher 3, so that scenario would be unlikely to happen. There is room for game prices to increase $10-20 however, or as we’ve seen - micro transactions & DLC.

In other news, cars are overpriced, because 1 unit of car is several thousand dollars, while one unit of banana is less than a dollar. 

Also, staring at a wall costs $0 per hour of entertainment, underpriced AF, 10/10 would buy again.

2 hours ago, Belgarathian said:

No... What they’re saying is that per hour of enjoyment, video games have some of the lowest costs. Therefore there is room to increase the costs of games so that the cost per hour of enjoyment is equal to that of going to the movies, etc.

Basically he’s saying that people are already willing and able to pay for more expensive forms of enjoyment, so there is room to increase the price of games to that of equivalent forms of enjoyment I.e movies. 

An example would be: 

• A movie ticket costs $10, and the movie is 120min long. Therefore the cost per hour is $5. 
  • Witcher 3 costs $60, and I spent 70 hours on the game. Therefore the cost per hour is $0.86
  • There is therefore room to increase the cost of Witcher 3 up to $350 where the cost per hour would be $5. 

That said, we all know that very few would pay $350 for Witcher 3, so that scenario would be unlikely to happen. There is room for game prices to increase $10-20 however, or as we’ve seen - micro transactions & DLC.

I don't mind DLC as long as it's cosmetic. I've bought many guns skins in CS:GO for instance. Increasing the base game price however is an incredibly bad thing. It results in less people buying it, which decreases the playerbase for multiplayer games.

The only thing that comes to mind in this case is "fuck off you cashwhores" cuz' this is some Grade A bullshit. Instead of charging people even more for a game why not just make less of a profit and not fuck over your employees.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Look man, I just wanna play my games. I don't particularly care how much it is, as long as the game is worth it for the price.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Refrigerators are too cheap. You use it for how long and it keeps you fed and nourished for years? 

This is how retarded this sounds.

image.png.8570abd7a78e783ecef2603718303cff.png

Well... 

.40 x 833 = $333... 

Then add some crate keys, +$0. 

I'm not paying $333 for a game. 

Edit: Skyrim is even worse at 1432 hours! I'm not paying $700! 

Spoiler

Though, the Bijin Warmaidens mod would definitely be worth it. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

On 21/11/2017 at 10:08 AM, IKnight said:

Yeah exactly. And this study claims that people play games for 2 hours per day. I somehow doubt this, considering most people have responsibilities; jobs, school, kids.... 

I used to play a lot of games when I was a kid but now I have a job I haven't actually played a game like that in 5 months. The last game I played was Wolfenstein II but I finished that in my two days I had off. Whenever I have free time I spend it reading manga, watching films or YouTube. Video games just aren't a very good way to spend your time if you're limited. I would rather play a short single player experience then anything else. Or at least a game that has no filler in it. I found The Witcher III game to be really great because it was long yes but the quality of the missions and story was really good so it never felt like I was wasting my time when I could be doing something more interesting. 

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

Let's look at it the other way: if movies cost ten times as much as video games per hour of entertainment, maybe they should reduce the price of watching a movie to be more reasonable.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

If talking about hours of entertainment it depends on the game. Back when I used to game heavily I had no responsibilities besides school. On days when I didn't have to go to school, say a weekend or school holidays, I lived on little sleep. I would generally sleep in so say I got up at 10am or even midday, I wouldn't go to bed until 6am the next morning. Also im not really into short fast paced games. The games I like are very very very long huge campaign games that can take weeks and weeks to finish even with a large amount of hours put into it. 

When I do game these days it is very much on a small scale now. 

21 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

How much do movie tickets cost there? Kinda curious, it's less than 10.5 USD in my area

Where I live in southern Germany, a movie ticket is between 10 - 30 euro depending on the length, popularity and if it is in IMaX or 3D. Then you can add another ten euro for snacks and drinks per person.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

If hours of entertainment determined price then chess boards would cost many thousands of dollars...

Supply and demand are the only factors that determine price. 

On 11/21/2017 at 5:10 AM, Volbet said:

Movies (be they rental, bought or theater movies) are completed products. You pay and you get the full experience.

A niche exception would be The Hobbit...

Your resident osu! player, destroyer of keyboards.