OnePlus collects users data - a lot of data[UPDATE]

JuztBe
3 hours ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Tbh, Not exactly a lot of choices if one wants a high performing device on the cheap. Prices of more mainstream brands are getting quite high. :(

Nokia 8?

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

20 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

You can get an android phone with 64 GB of storage, an SD821 and far, far better battery life for the same price. I have such a phone myself, albeit, with a custom ROM.

Battery life on the SE is pretty good. I personally haven't had any issues with how long it lasts and this is with all day usage for business. With that the continued support is quite handy as well. The A9 and SD 821 are pretty equal in bare metal performance. I have the 128GB. Which you can get for $200 apparently now (last I looked it was the 32GB). You can get the 32GB for $130. Custom ROMs aren't a necessity for most people, so that's really neither here nor there. Not to say that what you said isn't an option.

42 minutes ago, Captain Chaos said:

... and this is why you should never run a stock ROM on any smartphone.

Many manufacturers void your warranty if you flash a custom ROM, although I'm not sure how they would be able to tell if you flashed in back after.

1 hour ago, suicidalfranco said:

b-b-b-but it's just telemetry, how is one plus supposed to know how improve the device without that telemetry?

Privacy doesn't exist on the internet, if you want privacy disconnect

If you need privacy it's only because you're doing something wrong

ring a bell?

how is how long one spends on a app not developed by them in anyway shape for form help improve oxygenOS?

If it was doing this or bundled apps I could understand but everything single app? 

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

6 hours ago, BuckGup said:

Typical android

DId you just asume for a second, even for a joke's sake, that only android collects massive ammounts of data? that would be more funny than the joke itself.

2 hours ago, silberdrachi said:

Just to say for everyone, you should really use Google's data viewer webpage and see what google is actually tracking about you. Because i was shocked that they actually did the same thing with tracking what apps were opened when, for how long and all sorts of other data on interactions. Similarly the voice features have all your queries going back as far as youve used it.

The downside is that disabling the history on these things (search/maps/voice) disable quite a few very nice features in different google services that seemingly shouldnt be disabled. Such as disabling the maps history will mean that it wont give me my daily drive to work estimate in google now, despite my office being marked as work and having nothing to do with my history. Or disabling voice history also disables the "OK Google" command. Even though ive had a few instances where we were discussing topics and when i went to search something related to it, auto complete had my question as the first result. Somehow i doubt when i type "Smok" the auto complete would fill in "smokey tuna dip recipe" unless it was listening in on the discussion we were having.

TL;DR: Google is as bad if not far worse, and no one is paying attention to it even though they put it all out there in the open.

Hi 

Google is different from 1+

First, with google , you know that your information is actually secure.

2nd : Although Google use these informations for things like ads , You also get some benefits from it so i prefer to look at it as a Win Win for both consumer and google . You get personalized services , search results and ads and other stuff and mean while google can sell more ads and improve their AI.

At the end there are some people who doesn't like Google saving what they are doing and these people can disable location history , search history etc from google account settings (I have all of them enabled because I trust Google) but it's good to know that you can disable them if you want (assuming that google disables them completely ;)

but with oneplus , the story is different:

First of all they are trying to hide the fact that they collect information from People's phone and they even don't tell you what kind of information they are collecting and the worst one , they don't even let you turn it off if you don't want it to happen and they probably sending these info to somewhere in china which we don't know what they are gonna a do with it , is it only bug reports or other things as well , do they sell these info ? Do they save them somewhere secure ?

4 minutes ago, Red Hardware said:

Hi 

Google is different from 1+

First, with google , you know that your information is actually secure.

2nd : Although Google use these informations for things like ads , You also get some benefits from it so i prefer to look at it as a Win Win for both consumer and google . You get personalized services , search results and ads and other stuff and mean while google can sell more ads and improve their AI.

At the end there are some people who doesn't like Google saving what they are doing and these people can disable location history , search history etc from google account settings (I have all of them enabled because I trust Google) but it's good to know that you can disable them if you want (assuming that google disables them completely ;)

but with oneplus , the story is different:

First of all they are trying to hide the fact that they collect information from People's phone and they even don't tell you what kind of information they are collecting and the worst one , they don't even let you turn it off if you don't want it to happen and they probably sending these info to somewhere in china which we don't know what they are gonna a do with it , is it only bug reports or other things as well , do they sell these info ? Do they save them somewhere secure ?

I agree in some parts. Though i will say i disabled all the tracking stuff i could and still more data was showing up on that list than i was happy with.

My point was basically just along the lines of pointing out that one plus wasnt the only one doing it, and they arent (at least to my knowledge) doing it as extensively as google. I have no problem with this type of tracking, assuming you are told about it, and are given the ability to disable it. Android phones collect a truly massive amount of data, some of it tied to your account and some not, and im not sure we will ever know how to fully disable it all short of finding a rom with it all removed.

I also dont blame them for disabling services when someone disables some of their tracking stuff, though i do find it disappointing they feel the need. They arent losing out on that much information by me disabling voice history, is it going to cost them that much to let me leave "OK Google" turned on? This also makes the Google Home pretty much useless to me, which is sad because i think i could tie it into some cool systems if i had the chance.

But this is something that will be debated to end and back over the next ten years. Especially with Google Home/Amazon Echo/Apple Whatever becoming more popular. Its something i follow pretty closely as it is the intersection of three or four things i care quite a bit about. It just takes one shitty company to ruin it for everyone though.

Primary:

Intel i5 4670K (3.8 GHz) | ASRock Extreme 4 Z87 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP 2x8GB | Gigabyte GTX980ti | Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 240GB | Corsair RM 850W | Nanoxia Deep Silence 1| Ducky Shine 3 | Corsair m95 | 2x Monoprice 1440p IPS Displays | Altec Lansing VS2321 | Sennheiser HD558 | Antlion ModMic

HTPC:

Intel NUC i5 D54250WYK | 4GB Kingston 1600MHz DDR3L | 256GB Crucial M4 mSATA SSD | Logitech K400

NAS:

Thecus n4800 | WD White Label 8tb x4 in raid 5

Phones:

Oneplux 6t (Mint), Nexus 5x 8.1.0 (wifi only), Nexus 4 (wifi only)

Data collection is a concomitant of advancing technology in humanity.  You can't have one without the other unless you find someway to shift the intrinsic human psyche to a more altruistic condition.     The only thing we can hope for is that, like most bigger companies, they use the data sparingly to improve their products and not in an unethical manner.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

For F%#$ sakes, gods damn it.  Blackberry come back; We need you!  Not being able to have a smart phone without someone getting all up in your shit is getting annoying.

4 hours ago, Mihle said:

Nokia 8?

Nowhere close to the price/performance I'm thinking of. Lol.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

5 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

b-b-b-but it's just telemetry, how is one plus supposed to know how improve the device without that telemetry?

Privacy doesn't exist on the internet, if you want privacy disconnect

If you need privacy it's only because you're doing something wrong

ring a bell?

To be fair, I'm one of the people who defend companies like Microsoft on the whole telemetry thing.

But there's a little bit of a difference between collecting telemetry, and collecting personally identifiable usage statistics on a per app basis, tagging them with your devices serial number...

And there's a little bit of a difference between collecting personally tagged information in a preview software that tells you they're collecting that data (i.e. insider preview) and consumer level software (i.e. Oxygen OS)

4 hours ago, vorticalbox said:

how is how long one spends on a app not developed by them in anyway shape for form help improve oxygenOS?

If it was doing this or bundled apps I could understand but everything single app? 

...that's the point... It's called sarcasm to xP

52 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Nowhere close to the price/performance I'm thinking of. Lol.

At least here its cheaper than OnePlus 5, and seems really similar in specs too.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

3 hours ago, MoonSpot said:

For F%#$ sakes, gods damn it.  Blackberry come back; We need you!  Not being able to have a smart phone without someone getting all up in your shit is getting annoying.

No! Blackberry isn’t coming back and it ain’t happening. 

https://www.thestar.com/business/2012/04/07/rim_gives_india_access_to_blackberry_messages.html 

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2011/aug/08/london-riots-blackberry-messenger-looting

2 hours ago, Sniperfox47 said:

But there's a little bit of a difference between collecting telemetry, and collecting personally identifiable usage statistics on a per app basis, tagging them with your devices serial number...

If you read Microsoft’s privacy statements on telemetry, they actually collect personally identifiable information even on basic telemetry. With full telemetry enabled, they even collect keyboard presses. Microsoft does not depersonalize  and anonymize telemetry data unlike other tech companies. 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/configuration/basic-level-windows-diagnostic-events-and-fields

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/configuration/windows-diagnostic-data

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

As a Oneplus 5 owner, I'm not that impressed with this news... However at least they aren't recording the GPS cordinates too. Which Google does anyways. 

Owners of Oneplus devices should make a big deal of this, and maybe they will at least tone it down or do a Microsoft/Windows move and at least let you kinda disable the stupid tracking... 

The oneplus 5 is a good device, yes has its quirks but this really shouldn't be an acceptable practice for any tech company but we typically live with it. However for new/small player in the smartphone market they need to get their shit together, real fast or there won't be a market for a oneplus 6. 

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

5 hours ago, vorticalbox said:

https://technet.microsoft.com/itpro/windows/configure/basic-level-windows-diagnostic-events-and-fields

taking in consideration MS's own words, keep in mind this is just basic telemetry lvl and not full, and OPs past claims during the spyware10 debacles: it's very important.

1 hour ago, Sniperfox47 said:

and collecting personally identifiable usage statistics on a per app basis, tagging them with your devices serial number...

like how MSs attach every machine to a random number that "will never identify you personally"? App Usage statistics that MS also gather as shown above

1 hour ago, Sniperfox47 said:

And there's a little bit of a difference between collecting personally tagged information in a preview software that tells you they're collecting that data (i.e. insider preview) and consumer level software (i.e. Oxygen OS)

only insiders have to deal with this level of basic telemetry gathering? that sounds new to me

https://technet.microsoft.com/itpro/windows/configure/basic-level-windows-diagnostic-events-and-fields

is full telemetry just for fast ring people then?

gotta love the amount of double standards here, can't stop laughing my way to the bank

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

7 hours ago, hey_yo_ said:

Hmm... Are MAC addresses supposed to be private unlike IP addresses? I think OEMs have a record of IMEI but I can see how this can be a concern since it can be used to block access to a phone. But I think at the moment users of OnePlus should keep the tin foil hat in the shelf, calm down, and wait as the story unfolds and until OnePlus responds.  

Well, MAC addresses can tell a bit of information.  If you know the MAC address of a device, you can use websites to find out what type of device it is.  Of course, one can always spoof the MAC.

Funny thing is, if you are hooked into a network, the company controlling the network can see all that information like MAC, IP, source, and destination.

Pretty much the saying goes:  if the device is hooked to the Internet, privacy is out the window.

Or heck, I seen enough enterprise level equipment with deep packet inspection and shows what type of device with model hooked into the network.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

3 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

only insiders have to deal with this level of basic telemetry gathering? that sounds new to me

is full telemetry just for fast ring people then?

gotta love the amount of double standards here, can't stop laughing my way to the bank

*Facepalm* no, but basic telemetry doesn't include what apps you open and how long you open them, or really anything that you shouldn't be sending to Microsoft anyways. Unless you want to point it out to me in that list?

Oh no, they're getting the setup error code of my failed security update install! Whatever shall I do? So nosey! So intrusive! /s

Windows insiders are locked on full telemetry. They're the only ones locked on full telemetry, and the only ones who are required to have app usage statistics, memory dumps, filesystem reports, and other information concerning personal usage transmitted back to Microsoft. Everyone else has the choice to just sit on basic.

It's a little bit different scale, with Oxygen OS A) not informing the users, and B) not giving you the option to disable it.

15 hours ago, VegetableStu said:

That's it, every time from this point onwards someone I know shows off a new china-company-based phone I'm going to say the word "sigh".

If you have a custom AOSP-based ROM you can usually avoid things like this, even with Chinese models. There's other ways to deal with it, too.  It's a much better option than spending $1000+ CAD on a smartphone these days. 

It's not like Google and Microsoft, American companies, are doing the exact same thing to begin with. Only instead of giving your information to the US government, they sell it the highest bidder.

6 hours ago, MoonSpot said:

https://www.xda-developers.com/purism-kde-crowdsource-free-smartphone/

Seems like the only option for a phone that doesn't spy on everything you do, so good news there. Clearly there's demand for it since they reached their goal quicker than expected. 

11 hours ago, JuztBe said:

Story is still unfolding, but there's no way to disable with UI afaik. You have to be somewhat techy to do it. 
And well it's not really anonymous, your phone's IMEI and MAC is being sent too, which is most definitely not required for anonymous telemetry. You could trace it back with those stats.

You can disable it via a command prompt or Magisk module: https://www.xda-developers.com/oxygenos-is-allegedly-data-mining-personally-identifiable-information-for-analytics/

pm uninstall -k --user 0 net.oneplus.odm

On 10/10/2017 at 7:08 PM, hey_yo_ said:

Working with law enforcement and providing the data they ask for is somewhat different than androids hoover everything and sell to everyone angle.

As long as the government asking is credible, they've just cause, and a warrant; IDC.

Dick move by OnePlus.

18 hours ago, Sniperfox47 said:

*Facepalm* no, but basic telemetry doesn't include what apps you open and how long you open them, or really anything that you shouldn't be sending to Microsoft anyways. Unless you want to point it out to me in that list?

I would not be surprised if basic telemetry includes which apps you run and for how long. Enhanced (the default) telemetry does at the very least.

I mean, Microsoft even injected telemetry into programs compiled with Visual Studio without telling developers. So even if the OS doesn't directly gather stuff, they might have hijacked programs to do so.

But that's just what Microsoft says. How anyone can actually trust Microsoft these days is beyond me. I mean, they have legitimately pushed out updated labeled as security update, which were advertising upgrades for Windows 7 users to Windows 10.

19 hours ago, Sniperfox47 said:

Oh no, they're getting the setup error code of my failed security update install! Whatever shall I do? So nosey! So intrusive! /s

They collect way more than that. Maybe you should look at the list. Or maybe you found the list waaaaay too long and couldn't be bothered. After all, it's a list of things they collect, which is almost 100 pages long. I mean, I don't see why Microsoft needs to know every single program on my computer, when I installed it, how it was installed, when it was updated, etc, either, which is something they do collect even at the lowest settings.