OnePlus collects users data - a lot of data[UPDATE]

JuztBe
1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

I don't see why Microsoft needs to know every single program on my computer, when I installed it, how it was installed, when it was updated, etc, either, which is something they do collect even at the lowest settings.

My guess is so they can get a good statistic of how many apps are brought through online stores (like the MS store, steam, etc) how many are just software keys versus physical CD's and what sort of issues arise from each type of software and the install method not too mention the type of software (games, cad, proprietary, etc).  That is great information for how they setup their own store and how  much effort they need to put into supporting what type of apps.   For example if they discover of all the apps installed 60% needed java and of that 60% 30% suffered some sort of critical error then that information is gold.  Waiting for or relying on volunteered feedback is no where near as accurate. 

I am sure there are other ways to get that information, but this way seems to be the quickest, easiest and most accurate.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

6 hours ago, mr moose said:

My guess is so they can get a good statistic of how many apps are brought through online stores (like the MS store, steam, etc) how many are just software keys versus physical CD's and what sort of issues arise from each type of software and the install method not too mention the type of software (games, cad, proprietary, etc).  That is great information for how they setup their own store and how  much effort they need to put into supporting what type of apps.   For example if they discover of all the apps installed 60% needed java and of that 60% 30% suffered some sort of critical error then that information is gold.  Waiting for or relying on volunteered feedback is no where near as accurate. 

I am sure there are other ways to get that information, but this way seems to be the quickest, easiest and most accurate.

Sounds like good reasons for why they might want to collect that data. It doesn't make me more comfortable or accepting of it though. I don't like that they are harvesting the private information of millions of people (unknowingly) to further their ideals which I don't even agree with (I hate the Store).

I mean, you could find reasons for why OnePlus collects this data too, but that doesn't make it any less creepy to me.

3 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Sounds like good reasons for why they might want to collect that data. It doesn't make me more comfortable or accepting of it though. I don't like that they are harvesting the private information of millions of people (unknowingly) to further their ideals which I don't even agree with (I hate the Store).

I mean, you could find reasons for why OnePlus collects this data too, but that doesn't make it any less creepy to me.

I'm not saying you have to be happy with it, I am over arguing about that,  just speculating about why they might.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

OnePlus CEO commented on the issue.

The reason we collect some device information is to better provide after-sales support.

Seems like a pesky excuse for collecting phone numbers.

At any time, users can opt-out of usage analytics collection by navigating to 'Settings' -> 'Advanced' -> 'Join user experience program'.

By the end of October, all OnePlus phones running OxygenOS will have a prompt in the setup wizard that asks users if they want to join our user experience program.

Based on this "Join user experience program" is turned on by default. It's quite a name for a spying toggle

We would also like to share we will no longer be collecting telephone numbers, MAC Addresses and WiFi information.

It seems shitstorm was big enough. This by no means justifies how OnePlus handled analytics to this point, but at least things are being changed, other companies could've simply ignored it.
Sadly things that burn their ass is being changed, not what users are asking for months ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Source: https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/lets-talk-about-oxygenos-analytics.654820/

Laptop: Acer V3-772G  CPU: i5 4200M GPU: GT 750M SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB
DesktopCPU: R7 1700x GPU: RTX 2080 SSDSamsung 860 Evo 1TB 

OnePlus will have to change this, because it breaks a lot of current privacy laws already and certainly is not in line with the new EU General Data Protection Regulation will come into effect May next year.

19 hours ago, JuztBe said:

At any time, users can opt-out of usage analytics collection by navigating to 'Settings' -> 'Advanced' -> 'Join user experience program'.

By the end of October, all OnePlus phones running OxygenOS will have a prompt in the setup wizard that asks users if they want to join our user experience program.

Based on this "Join user experience program" is turned on by default. It's quite a name for a spying toggle

I own an OP3. This option was available after the Nougat update on my device. When you setup your device, you get a full page about this which has an agreement linked to it and you can disable it before completing the setup. IMO they did asked for it. I've read the agreement but it doesn't specify that they'll collect data like Phone numbers, Mac IDs, WiFi SSIDs, etc so they're definitely wrong there.