Apple tells a judge their phones are only guaranteed to work for 365 days

Master Disaster

If i remember right the touch disease is due to apple not using underfill. This is just negligence it not producing a product to last. Its against good practice. 

The legal team. Should be going at this via this angle. 

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

Well, that's strange: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/2016/04/15/its-confirmed-your-iphone-has-a-limited-lifespan-says-apple/

3 years seems way more reasonable than 365 days. I know it's not a new document, but has their statement changed that much?

On topic: I agree with the lawyers approach here, I just think apple is being "shitty"

That's funny but yeah either know that before hand or don't support them. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

5 minutes ago, FeralWombat said:

Well, that's strange: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/2016/04/15/its-confirmed-your-iphone-has-a-limited-lifespan-says-apple/

3 years seems way more reasonable than 365 days. I know it's not a new document, but has their statement changed that much?

On topic: I agree with the lawyers approach here, I just think apple is being "shitty"

The default warranty length in the United States is one year, so they don't have to necessarily state that their phones will last three years here.

I'd assume it's different over in EU countries.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

1 hour ago, Master Disaster said:

There's no missed context here guys, this was a production fault affecting multiple people and Apple basically said "meh, your phone is out of warranty so we don't care".

And is there anything wrong with that? Any other company would be the same as after all, the warranty has ran out. 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

Louis called it a year ago xD

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

1 minute ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

And is there anything wrong with that? Any other company would be the same as after all, the warranty has ran out. 

Gotta sell your agenda any way you can, bub. That means ignoring something almost every company does.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

Meanwhile old Nokia's going stronger than ever...

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

I don't really see them at fault here. Most manufactures only have a 1 year guarantee, and have no legal responsibility to go beyond that. If they had said anything else different in the court room it could have put them in a huge legal mess on honoring expired warranties, and that is no different from any manufacturer.

On a side note the issue in question did in fact happen to me and my dad's 6 plus', and in both case apple gave us a brand new replacement phone for free 6 months outside of the warranty.

Main Rig "Rocinante" - Ryzen 9 5900X, EVGA FTW3 RTX 3080 Ultra Gaming, 32GB 3600MHz DDR4

26 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Again, why does it matter? It is the carrier who made this deal with Apple, financing over 24 months is not something they do on their own. It's up to the carrier to either negotiate better terms of clarify that the phone is under warranty only for the first year regardless.

Apple also does 24 month financing as well. They only offer up front or 24 month financing with yearly tradeups. They also force u to buy apple care if u finance it as it's included in the price.

Look at Google. They are replacing my 6p with a brand new pixel 9 months past warranty due to a known issue. Apple slings out crap on a stick knowing it will fail after a year and says shove. Sadly my carriers insurance doesn't cover the 6p.

As someone who is neither an Apple, Android, PC, Mac, Windows, or Linux fanboy, i've had Samsung *AND* Motorola say the exact same thing to me when my Droid Charge quit responding to all functions. Power button, screen, and navigation buttons and Droid X outright failed (wouldn't even so much as charge) Fortunately, they were both purchased at Costco, and they were very willing to help me with the issue.

So, while you're well within your right to dislike Apple, you can't single them out in this circumstance as an exclusive perpetrator. I've been running a 4S since the week my Charge failed, and it's not skipped a single beat.

~Remember to quote posts to continue support on your thread~
-Don't be this kind of person-

CPU:  AMD Ryzen 7 5800x | RAM: 2x16GB Crucial Ripjaws Z | Cooling: XSPC/EK/Bitspower loop | MOBO: Gigabyte x570 Aorus Master | PSU: Seasonic Prime 750 Titanium  

SSD: 250GB Samsung 980 PRO (OS) | 1TB Crucial MX500| 2TB Crucial P2 | Case: Phanteks Evolv X | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (with EK Block) | HDD: 1x Seagate Barracuda 2TB

Just now, Snaeb said:

Look at Google. They are replacing my 6p with a brand new pixel 9 months past warranty due to a known issue. Apple slings out crap on a stick knowing it will fail after a year and says shove. Sadly my carriers insurance doesn't cover the 6p.

I had a issue with my nexus 6 in the past were the mic stopped working. I got a new phone from them and they extended my return period due to I was out on a business trip. I feel google has some top notch support.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

I like that its 2 year minimum warranty on stuff that is ment to last that long, but 5 years on those that is ment to last longer than 2.

Phones and Computers actually go under the 5 year one (and ofc stuff like cars)

But, after 2 years, its the customer that must "prove" that the damage isnt caused by normal usage or user error.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

2 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

You guys are going out of context. For the region where the question was asked, the device has a 1 year warranty by default. And therefore, Apple is legally obligated to ensure that the device works in that period, else repair it or replace it. After that period, Apple doesn't need to care. Although, they probably target 2 years, for regions that requires it, as the device is sold worldwide, and also cover themselves for Apple Care.

Apple will deal with countries and regions that requires longer warranties, where they can be very stiff in covering you, or do it at a loss, paid back by other regions.

Amen to sense and sensibility.

Good on Apple for defending their warranty from stupid carrier promises, pyo.

Bad on Apple for only covering their products for a year as a default, pyo.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Seems weird to me. If you buy a car with 5+ year loan you don't expect the manufacturer to cover repairs when it goes past the 3 year warranty. If it's a common issue though, I'd say that's a bit different, but the case the lawyer is making doesn't make sense to me.

Yeeeaaah... 10 years on the Apple train, I think it's time for me to get off at the Android station.

29 minutes ago, LeinadTM said:

Yeeeaaah... 10 years on the Apple train, I think it's time for me to get off at the Android station.

Why? They've always had 1 year warranty on iphones. I don't think you were really ever on the apple train if a single biased and misleading headline is enough to take you off

1 hour ago, The Benjamins said:

I had a issue with my nexus 6 in the past were the mic stopped working. I got a new phone from them and they extended my return period due to I was out on a business trip. I feel google has some top notch support.

Can confirm. Nexus 5 got replaced twice with no hassle and only 2 minute chat convo. One time it was for a brand new one and the other was refurb as they had no new stock but apologised for that. Got a pixel xl. No offer here in the uk for free day dream headset just 3 months free music sub. I already subbed to that on family which wasn't free. Contacted them as a few articles online suggested it was world wide... one of the support leads came back a month later saying he couldn't send one for free but.. he may be able to refund one if I ordered one... so I did and it was instantly refunded. Talk about quality service. 

Retried Battlefield Moderator EA Star Wars Battlefront Senior Moderator  Battlefield Moderator and EA Champion

So this suit will probably fail... But the issue is yet again apple cutting corners and refusing to acknowledge an issue.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

Smartphones go through extremely variable environments ranging from people that treat them with the utmost of care, to people that borderline abuse them. Its certainly understandable why manufacturers shy away from willingly offering longer warranties than they have to. 

Though failure points like lack of underfill aren't so readily excusable 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

The most important thing is that their products actually have a very low failure rate.  Difference between talking the talk and walking the walk.

PC Build: R5-1600.  Scythe Mugen 5.  GTX 1060.  120 GB SSD.  1 TB HDD.  FDD Mini C.  8 GB RAM (3000 MHz).  Be Quiet Pure Wings 2.  Capstone-550.  Deepcool 350 RGB.

Peripherals: Qisan Magicforce (80%) w/ Gateron Blues.  Razer Naga Chroma.  Lenovo 24" 1440p IPS.  PS4 Controller.

Audio: Focusrite (Solo, 2nd), SM57, Triton Fethead, AKG c214, Sennheiser HD598's, ATH-M50x, AKG K240, Novation Launchkey

Wishlist: MP S-87, iPad, Yamaha HS5's, more storage

The plantiff's argument is terrible and Apple should win this one easily.  You can't just arbitrarily redefine what a warranty period is based on some made up "expectation" that a phone will last a contract life. 

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)