Android O launching August 21

porina
3 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

I wonder, what sweets starts with letter Q...

Is it one version a year? If so, they got 2 years to figure that one out.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

3 hours ago, lvh1 said:

Nice, maybe I'll be able to get it in 2018, since Samsung takes forever to update their phones...

The 21st of august will be interesting, a solar eclipse, Intel announcing their new lineup and now this.

Hopefully that will be reduced moving forward with Google's project treble and vendor partitions, and Sony's RRO/OMS. They'll only have to maintain one version of Samsung Experience and can update it independently of Android, won't have to get updated OEM modifications from their silicon manufacturers, and can just update Android independent of all their crud.

In theory at least. And assuming they can be halfassed bothered to implement it. I mean they couldn't be bothered to put A/B Partitioning on the S8 for seamless updates so...

8 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

Quince?

18 minutes ago, Sniperfox47 said:

Hopefully that will be reduced moving forward with Google's project treble and vendor partitions, and Sony's RRO/OMS. They'll only have to maintain one version of Samsung Experience and can update it independently of Android, won't have to get updated OEM modifications from their silicon manufacturers, and can just update Android independent of all their crud.

In theory at least. And assuming they can be halfassed bothered to implement it. I mean they couldn't be bothered to put A/B Partitioning on the S8 for seamless updates so...

Quince?

I sure hope so. I've only had android 7 for a couple of months now and it was released a year ago..

1 hour ago, porina said:

Is it one version a year? If so, they got 2 years to figure that one out.

Doesn't matter how long it takes. Can't update to the latest anyway, unless you got a new phone that runs on Android P

47 minutes ago, Sniperfox47 said:

Quince?

Only Q I found was,

csm_teaser_weltderwaffeln_quadratini_cho

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

1 hour ago, NumLock21 said:

Theres more Q's than O's.

Quaker Oats (Not exactly a sweet though they do make sweet things)

Quality Streets

Quench Gum

Quick Bread (can be savoury but is usually made with fruit like date or banana)

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

I expect Samsung to get Android O sometime 2019.

29 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Theres more Q's than O's.

Quaker Oats (Not exactly a sweet though they do make sweet things)

Quality Streets

Quench Gum

Quick Bread (can be savoury but is usually made with fruit like date or banana)

It needs to be a name of a sweets, not a brand. Then again the one i posted is a brand too. So it's a fail for me.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

7 hours ago, hey_yo_ said:

I don't know if I memorized all Android versions from the top of my head. 

Donut 1.0

Eclair 1.6

Froyo 2.2

Gingerbread 2.3

Honeycomb 3.0

Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0

Jelly Bean 4.1/4.2

Kit Kat 4.4

Lollipop 5.0

Marshmallow 6.0

Nougat 7.0

Oreo 8.0

did I miss something? 

The pre-1.0 version was called Cupcake, iirc. B didn't have a codename. 

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

2 hours ago, Mooshi said:

I expect Samsung to get Android O sometime 2019.

One can only hope. I like my S8 twins.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

I really hope that the folks at LineageOS will be able to make it work on my S5... :)

Watch a few previews of the Android O. Still don't get what is big deal of it.

Last two updates gave me a bad taste in my mouth. Many apps won't run well, or at all for at least two months. I'll be happy to stay with Android N.

Great. But what still sucks is that devices like flagships only get 2 big version upgrades and even then slowly. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

If Google decides to make "Android T", can they name it as either Android Tim Tam or Android Toblerone? 

IMG_5796.JPG.e73c7b222a57127370cb70d85f1a44b3.JPGIMG_5797.JPG.355c440037cc44533f1fd650e3cbb4e2.JPG

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

9 hours ago, NumLock21 said:

I can't thunk of any. Android "Queso" perhaps? But that's Spanish. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

2 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

I can't thunk of any. Android "Queso" perhaps? But that's Spanish. 

I looked it up. No sweets with letter q in the english language. Oh well looks android p will be the last android os. 

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

14 hours ago, porina said:

hope my 5X isn't too old to get it.

It isn't. You get two years of software updates with a nexus or pixel. Google always includes the second major software update in those two years (so a 5x or 6p will get android m and o, the pixel will get o and q, etc.)

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

Just in time to make sure Nougat doesn't hit even 12%. I mean if Android isn't a giant clusterfrack of fragmentation, then what's the point?

https://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/android-distribution-news/

Fix your crap Google, before spamming more crap.

That being said, I wonder what great new features this version includes:

• Auto censorship of all non bay area ideologues
  • Force shutdown all units belonging to the right wing
  • Auto doxxing of all "hate speech" (ie. something Goolag disagrees with).

Can't wait. Sounds great.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

1 hour ago, Notional said:

Just in time to make sure Nougat doesn't hit even 12%. I mean if Android isn't a giant clusterfrack of fragmentation, then what's the point?

https://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/android-distribution-news/

Nougat is already at 12%. In fact, it's at 13.5% right now.

Here is the source for the article you linked, with updated stats.

Fragmentation isn't that bad by the way. As you can see, 45% of Android devices are on Android 6.0 or above. That means almost half of all Android devices are running the latest or the second latest version of Android (not counting 7.1 since it was just a minor release with stuff like extra genders for emojis).

1 hour ago, Notional said:

Fix your crap Google, before spamming more crap.

They are trying to fix it, but it's not an easy thing to do.

I don't know why, but updates to ARM devices do not work the same way an update to an x86 computer. It is not an Android issue either. Apple manages it by having a very limited set of devices to work with, and they do everything themselves. Microsoft tried to do the same thing but in the end, they have at several points just given up and axed support for a ton of devices. Right now I think there are only a handful of WP devices still getting updates.

Android O will hopefully fix some of the issues with project Treble (which will come with Android O).

i wonder, would it possible for android to be developed in such a way that it doesn't need SoC manufacturer to write new drivers to support the new OS but instead have newer install of android just use what's already available. We've seen through out the years that samsung, qualcomm and mediatek, huawei and soon Xiaomi see no value in making their old chips support the new OS, and since opensourcing their shit is a no go because reasons, why not just use the already available blobs and stop breaking compatibility at each new OS update?

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

Question, i understand that new Android versions require new drivers from manufacturers, but why can't we all get security updates? 

27 minutes ago, MyName13 said:

Question, i understand that new Android versions require new drivers from manufacturers, but why can't we all get security updates? 

Because then you wont buy new stuff... Want updates? Want updates? Buy a new phone... (yeah, yeah. I pretty much stole this one from Linus and rewritten it...)

3 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Android O will hopefully fix some of the issues with project Treble (which will come with Android O).

44 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

i wonder, would it possible for android to be developed in such a way that it doesn't need SoC manufacturer to write new drivers to support the new OS but instead have newer install of android just use what's already available. We've seen through out the years that samsung, qualcomm and mediatek, huawei and soon Xiaomi see no value in making their old chips support the new OS, and since opensourcing their shit is a no go because reasons, why not just use the already available blobs and stop breaking compatibility at each new OS update?

As I understand it, that's the point of the Project Treble that LAwLz mentioned above.  Making Android more modular, so it doesn't have to be specifically written for the phone to update it.

On 19.08.2017 at 8:33 PM, rashdanml said:

The pre-1.0 version was called Cupcake, iirc. B didn't have a codename. 

What happened to A?

Sorry for bad Ingrish

Just now, Denis Rakhmanov said:

What happened to A?

there never was one

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>