Android O launching August 21

porina
6 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

there never was one

6 hours ago, Denis Rakhmanov said:

What happened to A?

1.5 was Cupcake, 1.1 was Petit Four and earlier ones didn't have official codenames

Anyone trying to watch the livestream? Got an intro and... not a lot else.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

So far it doesn't seem like Android 8 is that big of a release, but I haven't read through all the new features yet.

Here is the announcement video (basically just the intro, no proper video yet):

Not that much to say. I will be adding new features to this thread as I discover them.

Speed improvements (quoted as 2x faster startup time for "favorite tasks"). My guess is that this will be like SuperFetch in Windows, where it will learn what programs you use the most often, and then load that into RAM before you need it (using prediction, not just loading it in at all times).

Automatically minimize background activity for apps you don't use often. Hopefully, this will help with apps draining your power in the background.

Autofill passwords inside apps. It's basically like Chrome's autofill function, where you can tell Chrome (and now Android) to remember your account name and password for websites (and now apps). So if you, for example, reinstall an app, or switch phones then it can remember your password.

Picture-in-picture mode. I don't know much about how this will work, but the example Google shows is a video call in the lower right corner of your phone, and then calendar being fullscreened behind the video. Not sure how useful this will be since there is already multi-window support.

Notification dots on icons, which are interactive. Now when you get a notification from an app, the icon will display a dot in the corner. By quickly tapping the dot a speech bubble will appear showing you the notification. You can also dismiss notifications from the icon.

This is what it looks like:

Capture.PNG.d5e7b4c8b5c5a07ecf9a90ae7c9c4ee3.PNG

Support for "instant apps". Basically, when you visit a website such as BestBuy, it can "stream" the BestBuy app to your phone. So instead of ending up at the BestBuy website in your browser, it will open the app (which is not actually installed on your phone). Not sure if this will lead to an increase in data usage, but it will probably be very useful. No more need to install a billion apps for each individual website you visit, just because their mobile page sucks ass.

Might still be best to install the app though since it will probably save you a bit of data.

Over 60 new emojis... yay...

Background execution limits

More control over how apps run in the background for better overall system performance.

Background location limits

Limits the frequency of location updates in the background for better overall system health.

Color management! Finally proper support for different color gamuts in Android. It's per-app as well.

It seems like there are still some limitations though, for example, the color space will be hardcoded to the app and can not be changed by the user. A properly programmed app shouldn't need the user to intervene but it would have been nice to have regardless.

New share API which allows you to "share files across the Internet via web links". My guess is that it will upload a file temporarily to Google Drive and then generate a link for it.

Snooze notifications. You can now temporarily hide notifications, which will appear later again.

More granular control over notifications, with "notification categories". This to me seems like a developer feature and not a user-facing feature. If I understand it correctly, developers can now assign notifications to different categories which can be used to for example bundle them (no need to have 5 notifications if you got 5 new text messages).

Project Treble!

Making Android a bit more modular which will help chipset makers reuse code for Android updates. What this means is that (hopefully) updates for phones will get developed faster and become more common. I wouldn't bet on it though.

More reading about it here.

API for tooltips in apps. They are small popup windows which text describing things.

You could already do this if you wrote your own code, but now there is a first party API for it which will help with consistency in apps.

Wi-Fi Assistant

It's been a Nexus feature before but now it seems like it is coming to all Android phones.

What Wi-Fi Assistant does is that, when turned on, your phone will automatically connect to open Wi-Fi networks which are deemed "high-quality" (not sure how this is determined). In order to protect you from attacks (because open networks are not secure) you also establish a VPN connection to Google, so your traffic is encrypted.

Plus lots and lots of other stuff.

• Improvements to WebViews (safe browsing and multiprocess)
  • VoIP apps can now be more deeply integrated.
  • Support for Sony's LDAC codec (new codec for Bluetooth audio, which actually seems pretty good).

15 minutes ago, porina said:

Anyone trying to watch the livestream? Got an intro and... not a lot else.

...that was the livestream... A 40 second "Hey it's the name everyone figured it would be, we actually licensed another name after the disaster that was KitKat" video...

So after a lot of teasers, hints, speculations and rumors, it's finally here-Android 8.0 Oreo.

IMG_20170821_212247.thumb.png.046472c3414a23a852a829c472800512.png

So what does 8.0 Oreo bring to the table? Aside that it's brand-named just like 4.4 KitKat, it brings quite a bit of new features. Some of those are:

quick boot (up to 2x faster than 7.0), picture-in-picture for videos,

notification dots (similar to 3D Touch), new emojis,

better battery life and so much more...

The update will first roll out on the Google Pixel (XL), Nexus 6P, and Nexus 5X, and then the rest of the phones that can support it.

Sources:

https://9to5google.com/2017/08/21/android-8-oreo-name-unveiled/

https://www.android.com/versions/oreo-8-0/

Athlon X2 for only 27.31$   Best part lists at different price points   Windows 1.01 running natively on an Eee PC

My rig:

Spoiler

Celeronator (new main rig)

CPU: Intel Celeron (duh) N2840 2.16GHz Dual Core

RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333MHz

HDD: Seagate 500GB

GPU: Intel HD Graphics 3000 Series

Spoiler

Frankenhertz (ex main rig)

CPU: Intel Atom N2600 1.6GHz Dual Core

RAM: 1GB DDR3-800

HDD: HGST 320GB

GPU: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 3600

Repost. But it looks cool! Although I'm on Android 5, so I'm not too likely to get 8. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

1 minute ago, Jamiec1130 said:

Repost. But it looks cool! Although I'm on Android 5, so I'm not too likely to get 8. 

Ah such a shame, it looks very cool...

Also, it's NOT a repost, it's just that me and @LAwLz were typing at the same time. Mods will probably merge the two posts because they were posted just 2 minutes apart.

Athlon X2 for only 27.31$   Best part lists at different price points   Windows 1.01 running natively on an Eee PC

My rig:

Spoiler

Celeronator (new main rig)

CPU: Intel Celeron (duh) N2840 2.16GHz Dual Core

RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333MHz

HDD: Seagate 500GB

GPU: Intel HD Graphics 3000 Series

Spoiler

Frankenhertz (ex main rig)

CPU: Intel Atom N2600 1.6GHz Dual Core

RAM: 1GB DDR3-800

HDD: HGST 320GB

GPU: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 3600

Too bad you can't twist it, lick it, dip it and then eat it. You might end up voiding your warranty. /s

I've always been a fan of new OSes though, can't wait to see what this one brings.

"The only thing that matters right now is that you're here, and you're safe."

7 minutes ago, Sniperfox47 said:

...that was the livestream... A 40 second "Hey it's the name everyone figured it would be, we actually licensed another name after the disaster that was KitKat" video...

Thought they were gonna talk about features and stuff. Don't need a livestream to show a short vid like that...

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

googleoperatingsystemdistribution.jpg

Like it matters when the vast majority of Android users are on OSs released in 2014 and 2015. Those devices didn't even get 2016's Android.

Ye ole' train

8 minutes ago, lots of unexplainable lag said:

Like it matters when the vast majority of Android users are on OSs released in 2014 and 2015. Those devices didn't even get 2016's Android.

and due to the updating model it is the manufacture and carriers fault for them lagging behind on it, Glad I have a pixel.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

32 minutes ago, Djole123 said:

better battery life

Google claim this release after release yet battery life is still a concern.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

Android Oreo (8.0) threads were all merged.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

On 8/19/2017 at 4:17 AM, hey_yo_ said:

-snippo-

Cupcake, also Jelly Bean is 4.3 as well.

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

Sounds like Project Treble will be a mandatory part of the Android 8.0 CDD though so at least we have that to look forward to :3

On 8/19/2017 at 2:13 AM, porina said:

Source: https://arstechnica.co.uk/gadgets/2017/08/android-o-is-o-fficially-launching-august-21/?comments=1

If Intel's announcement of 8th generation CPUs competing with the total solar eclipse in North America wasn't enough, you can also add the launch for Android "O" to the list. Preview test versions have existed for some time, but let's see how quickly it gets released to the masses. I hope my 5X isn't too old to get it.

Personally, if I were within reach of the line of totality of the eclipse, I'd prioritise that as chances don't happen often unless you make a big effort on travel. Partial eclipses are less rare and relatively meh. Tech comes and goes.

Unless your college class made you miss the whole thing.... :(

As #muricaparrotgang's founder, I invite you to join our ranks today.

"My name is Legion 'Murica Parrot Gang, for we are many."

(We actually welcome all forms of animated parrot gifs.)

The artist formerly known as Aelar_Nailo.

Profile Pic designed by the very lovely @Red :)!

1 hour ago, lots of unexplainable lag said:

So what you're saying is that Google should halt all Android development until all phones run Nougat?

There is no reason for Google not to soldier on. They can't fix existing devices although they're certainly trying to fix it for new devices while maintaining legacy support.

All they can do is hope OEMs will use the tools that are available to push updates to their customers but as we know they can just ignore that and sell you a new phone instead (and they will). Project Treble will eliminate a significant roadblock but there is still work to do for the OEM, so we'll probably still run into a lot of devices not being updated or only getting occasional security updates despite the changes in Oreo.

With all that being said: they have put a lot of stuff into the Play Services framework so users on older devices will still see some benefit from development.

1 hour ago, vorticalbox said:

Not really, it got vastly better. It's the fault of putting middling batteries in flagships, of course you're going to get 1 day battery life, but standby with Doze has been massively improved. No denying that. Try a Moto Z Play or Lenovo P2.

13 hours ago, Denis Rakhmanov said:

What happened to A?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_version_history

That's actually more accurate. 

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

2 hours ago, vorticalbox said:

I've yet to see a phone that benefited from Google's "battery saving" techniques over the OEM or custom ROM solutions.

2 hours ago, Sniperfox47 said:

Sounds like Project Treble will be a mandatory part of the Android 8.0 CDD though so at least we have that to look forward to Dread

I can honestly say, I'd rather use an iPhone 3G or a Windows Phone 7.5 device before any Android phone that has a major version of Android other than the one it shipped with. Unless the OEM spends a year fixing and replacing shit, so I don't have to deal with Google's latest abortion.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

great vid from android central showing off the new features

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

11 hours ago, Drak3 said:

I've yet to see a phone that benefited from Google's "battery saving" techniques over the OEM or custom ROM solutions.

Umm... The Nexus 5 got a pretty hefty screen-off battery life boost from doze, and the 6P got a pretty decent one from doze on-the-go. Not to mention that pretty much every Android 6.0 phone that's come out since has had doze enabled because of the battery life boost...

11 hours ago, Drak3 said:

I can honestly say, I'd rather use an iPhone 3G or a Windows Phone 7.5 device before any Android phone that has a major version of Android other than the one it shipped with. Unless the OEM spends a year fixing and replacing shit, so I don't have to deal with Google's latest abortion.

Abortion is a bit strong. Not sure what glaring flaws you see in the latest version of Android, but the Pixel was really strong out of the box, as were the other phones that were 7.0 or 7.1 at launch. If you're using the version that came on the device you're also subjecting yourself to glaring security holes that get fixed in the monthly updates. It's no different than iOS in that regard.

But that's the whole point of Treble anyways. It's there so that they don't *need* a year to tweak, all their tweaks will either work out of the box with the next major version or gracefully fall back. That's what all the work on RRO, OMS, and treble has been for. So all the OEMs can have their own flavor of Android, but still benefit from the latest security patches and under the hood fixes.

Hopefully it pops up on my 6P soon 

Specs

i9 9900K 5.1GHz 0 AVX offset

ASUS MAXIMUS APEX XI

Custom watercooling (360mm, 60mm thicc)

EVGA GTX1080 FTW DT

EVGA T2 1000W Platinum PSU

3200MHz G.Skill RGB B-die

Samsung 970 Pro 512GB

Samsung 860 EVO 2TB

Crucial MX300 1TB