Android O launching August 21

porina
12 hours ago, Drak3 said:

I've yet to see a phone that benefited from Google's "battery saving" techniques over the OEM or custom ROM solutions.

Did Doze really get wiped from your memory or something? It helped more than any other battery saving option from an OEM.(without gimping the phone)

1 hour ago, Sniperfox47 said:

But that's the whole point of Treble anyways. It's there so that they don't *need* a year to tweak, all their tweaks will either work out of the box with the next major version or gracefully fall back.

That year of tweaking is fixing the broken mess that is an update of the major Android version. At least, as best it can be fixed without pushing new hardware tailored specifically to that major version.

If you're using the version that came on the device you're also subjecting yourself to glaring security holes that get fixed in the monthly updates. It's no different than iOS in that regard.

Major version. That means Android 6.x.x. That doesn't mean the off hand security updates, which there is not fucking reason to not push to older versions.

Umm... The Nexus 5 got a pretty hefty screen-off battery life boost from doze, and the 6P got a pretty decent one from doze on-the-go. Not to mention that pretty much every Android 6.0 phone that's come out since has had doze enabled because of the battery life boost...

Not from my testing. I've never been able to get a battery life boost out of a new version of Android without the OEMs pushing an update to their own techniques. I've had access to multiple Nexus PoSes, Note 4, S6, ZTE Grand 2, Note 10.1, Android x86 installs. Custom ROMs and stock ROMs. But then again, I test fresh install vs fresh install.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

7 minutes ago, coolkingler1 said:

Did Doze really get wiped from your memory or something? It helped more than any other battery saving option from an OEM.(without gimping the phone)

Bullshit it has. Samsung's Ultra power saver on Kitkat netted me 10 days of standby battery life. Standard power saver on every Android version since, minimum of 3 days. Google Doze, at best, 2 days.

And that has been replicatable in every skinned version of Android I've used, and every custom ROM I've put on a Nexus PoS.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

Just now, Drak3 said:

Bullshit it has. Samsung's Ultra power saver on Kitkat netted me 10 days of standby battery life. Standard power saver on every Android version since, minimum of 3 days. Google Doze, at best, 2 days.

And that has been replicatable in every skinned version of Android I've used, and every custom ROM I've put on a Nexus PoS.

UPS would gimp it afaik. Doze did actually bring massive improvement, everybody was raving about it at the time because it was very noticeable. 

You have to keep in mind that Android has that across the board with all devices who can get MM, OEM solutions can be optimized.

That Doze helped is undeniable, you can not possibly expect them to reach IOS levels of optimization, who only have a couple of devices per year.

Just now, coolkingler1 said:

UPS would gimp it afaik. Doze did actually bring massive improvement, everybody was raving about it at the time because it was very noticeable. 

You have to keep in mind that Android has that across the board with all devices who can get MM, OEM solutions can be optimized.

That Doze helped is undeniable, you can not possibly expect them to reach IOS levels of optimization, who only have a couple of devices per year.

Fresh install vs fresh install, battery life has not improved since Kitkat on anything I've tested.

To say Doze helped is bullshit. Removing clutter with a new install that contributes to shorter battery life helps. Nothing Google does has.

And everyone raving about it either doesn't know how much about technology, or is just an all around idiot.

And I'd say that for everyone that likes the yearly major Android update. There is no reason for it, and I've yet to come across a device that receives the initial update well. One reason I chose Samsung, and will likely continue to do so, is because they don't push updates for around a year, I get more use out of the phone before it becomes unusable by my standards.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

12 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Fresh install vs fresh install, battery life has not improved since Kitkat on anything I've tested.

To say Doze helped is bullshit. Removing clutter with a new install that contributes to shorter battery life helps. Nothing Google does has.

And everyone raving about it either doesn't know how much about technology, or is just an all around idiot.

And I'd say that for everyone that likes the yearly major Android update. There is no reason for it, and I've yet to come across a device that receives the initial update well. One reason I chose Samsung, and will likely continue to do so, is because they don't push updates for around a year, I get more use out of the phone before it becomes unusable by my standards.

Fresh install vs fresh install. Your findings are bullshit if you think 1 use-case defines all improvement. Literally a useless statistic of 1 sample.

To say Doze helped is bullshit: No, to say it didn't help based on a couple of stupid stand-alone tests you alone did yourself, that is what is bullshit. Do you have any idea on how research works? Doze also requires several sensors to work, maybe you are missing that on your however many years old phone.

And everyone raving about it either doesn't know how much about technology, or is just an all around idiot: Fucking bravo dude, great argument. When you can't come up with arguments start the insults. Sign of weakness. No, it in fact did help, you are just incapable of accepting that, because your own 'testing'(whatever standards that has) hasn't come up with results (according to you)

You have proven to be:

- Irrational

- Biased

- Have no idea how research works (what device? Over how many days? What apps did you have installed? etc)

- Dismiss anybody that disagrees (with your statement about something that has been proven numerous times to help) as an idiot

Ignored, you are the worst kind of person and you can't debate worth a dime. But please, by all means, go on to think you know better than the teams at Google who actually made the damn function.

Btw, you can get Android O (right now) if you sign up for the Beta https://www.google.com/android/beta

Specs

i9 9900K 5.1GHz 0 AVX offset

ASUS MAXIMUS APEX XI

Custom watercooling (360mm, 60mm thicc)

EVGA GTX1080 FTW DT

EVGA T2 1000W Platinum PSU

3200MHz G.Skill RGB B-die

Samsung 970 Pro 512GB

Samsung 860 EVO 2TB

Crucial MX300 1TB

4 hours ago, Klovnious said:

Btw, you can get Android O (right now) if you sign up for the Beta https://www.google.com/android/beta

It's not actually the full carrier approved build, just the Release Candidate (Specifically RC6) that's been sent for carrier approval. There might still be a couple tweaks when the full build comes out in a week or two.

On 22.8.2017 at 6:44 PM, Sniperfox47 said:

It's not actually the full carrier approved build, just the Release Candidate (Specifically RC6) that's been sent for carrier approval. There might still be a couple tweaks when the full build comes out in a week or two.

Seems about right, my battery gets drained within hours

Specs

i9 9900K 5.1GHz 0 AVX offset

ASUS MAXIMUS APEX XI

Custom watercooling (360mm, 60mm thicc)

EVGA GTX1080 FTW DT

EVGA T2 1000W Platinum PSU

3200MHz G.Skill RGB B-die

Samsung 970 Pro 512GB

Samsung 860 EVO 2TB

Crucial MX300 1TB

4 hours ago, Klovnious said:

Seems about right, my battery gets drained within hours

Were you in the beta builds? Did you try a factory reset after the update (back up your fake "SD card" storage first?

I've had *substantially* better battery life on RC6 on my Pixel XL with Battery saver off, Battery Optimization disabled for Android Wear, and Screen 50% adaptive brightness. So far today I've gotten 12H with 2H of screen time, and am still sitting at 48%.