Nvidia thinks "Pascal is just unbeatable" and already decided not to move Volta ahead

Misanthrope
Just now, i_build_nanosuits said:

and i see it the other way around...stock clock is the data point and ''average overclock'' is the real indication of how good the hardware really is.

Which is flawed because of the huge amount of variation not only between the quality of manufacturing at the time affecting how good the GPU can get to, but how the board was designed itself. I can't overclock my GPU to any of the, say EVGA Classified cards because my board literally does not have the support circuitry to drive a GPU that hard. All an overclock test does is tell me how good that particular board is. Not how good the GPU is in its entirety across the board.

I want to go in knowing I'm guaranteed at least X amount of performance. Not that I have the potential to achieve Y amount of performance. Because the latter's case is basically the same as internet speed marketing.

1 minute ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Which is flawed because of the huge amount of variation not only between the quality of manufacturing at the time affecting how good the GPU can get to, but how the board was designed itself. I can't overclock my GPU to any of the, say EVGA Classified cards because my board literally does not have the support circuitry to drive a GPU that hard. All an overclock test does is tell me how good that particular board is. Not how good the GPU is in its entirety across the board.

I want to go in knowing I'm guaranteed at least X amount of performance. Not that I have the potential to achieve Y amount of performance. Because the latter's case is basically the same as internet speed marketing.

we'll just have to disagree then...personally i hate to see the nvidia cards tested at 1650mhz when 95%+ of them can hold 2000mhz stable with the pushing of a single slider in afterburner and 100% of them can do 1900mhz...i think it's miss-representation of actual performance.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

I said something like this would be bad for the community on PCper Vega article, and this is what someone responded with

zme-ul said

to the contrary, it's very good for the market because it will be the 1st time in a very long time that GPUs will have a larger life span, and that's very good for the consumer considering the price premiums we had to pay for Pascal

also, nVidia expressed no intention to launch consumer Volta this year - taken from the recent earnings call

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

5 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

I said something like this would be bad for the community on PCper Vega article, and this is what someone responded with

zme-ul said

OMG that's the stupidest thing i've read today...''we paid a lot for these old ass cards, so it's good that they keep being relevant longer''

meanwhile...4K 120hz isn't happening, and i can still barely run project cars on medium settings in my oculus rift..

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Just now, i_build_nanosuits said:

OMG that's the stupided thing i've read today...''we paid a lot for these old ass cards, so it's good that they keep being relevant longer''

meanwhile...4K 120hz isn't happening, and i can still barely run project cars on medium settings in my oculus rift..

and now that I think about it the name seems familiar :^)

4 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

and now that I think about it the name seems familiar :^)

...and now nvidia will start making those +5% performance leap per generations, just like intel did for the past 7 years...

Seriously, what we really need is for AMD to GTFO and be replaced by another major corporation that has more budget for R&D and that is not driven by a bunch of drunken monkeys.

1 minute ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

...and now nvidia will start making those +5% performance leap per generations, just like intel did for the past 7 years...

Seriously, what we really need is for AMD to GTFO and be replaced by another major corporation that has more budget for R&D and that is not driven by a bunch of drunken monkeys.

*Rise of the Matrox*

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

So, this year Nvidia will release... nothing? Or we will have a Pascal "refresh"?

2 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

honestly Navi is make or break point, sense it is the GPU that is FULL designed by the new leadership.

If Nvidia does the 5% scheme then if will allow AMD to bounce back like they did in x86 but if Nvidia keeps doing health improvements then it could force AMD out of the GPU marked. (assuming Navi fails)

But it is definitely showing that Nvidia doesn't have to work that hard to keep them selves at the top.

29 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Didn't paul's hardware and Hardware unboxed compare vega 56 to AIB cards and didn't vega 56 match and beat those as well ?

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

2 minutes ago, XenosTech said:

Didn't paul's hardware and Hardware unboxed compare vega 56 to AIB cards and didn't vega 56 match and beat those as well ?

Paul used an overclocked Galax 1070

3 minutes ago, Dietrichw said:

Paul used an overclocked Galax 1070

I know and the 56 kept up and beat it in some games... think steve used a factory oced 1070 too and at the end of his i think  vega was like a couple % faster

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

4 hours ago, Flavio hc 16 said:

even though  under heavy oc it could draw someting retarded like 750w alone).

Go look at a 980TI or R9 Fury under LN2, they go beyond that with ease. 980TIs can blow the 24 pin under LN2 because of the PCIe draw, maybe not alone but definitely if you have 2+ of them lol. Furys are the same. The 1080TI is sadly not as fun... 

4 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

It is now and it has been for a while, but no. Some of their past processors were actually quite better than contemporary intel offerings for example. Goes for some generations under ATI as well.

I often wonder what would have happened with the GPU market if AMD never bought ATI... Fun things probably. 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

3 hours ago, NumLock21 said:

Volta will probably release along side navi.

I'm going to say Volta will win by a few months. I have always said Volta announced at CES 2018, probably will take some time from that to hit the market but I doubt AMD will crank out Navi before then. They might but I don't think they will. 

1 hour ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

and i see it the other way around...stock clock is the data point and ''average overclock'' is the real indication of how good the hardware really is.

If that was how reviews were done my 970 would have been returned within a week of purchase. Probably bottom silicon ever put out from the fab, any overclock, even 1mhz, will crash the card as it hits ~60C which it will, even light load will get it there. 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

6 hours ago, Tiwaz said:

then why does it have such a shitty efficiency? 

It doesnt, but when they increase clock speeds they increase power consumption. If you lower the clock speeds, it actually approaches the efficiency of the 1080, but not the performance. 

Hello This is my "signature". DO YOU LIKE BORIS????? http://strawpoll.me/4669614

5 hours ago, Taf the Ghost said:

@snortingfrogs

There was one other little thing about Vega that LTT came across that I'm quite curious to see tested more.

There's quite a lot of room between the 1080 and the Vega 64 in CS:GO. This matters a lot. I also want to see Dota 2 testing, especially against the 1080 Ti. If Vega 64 = 1080 Ti in two of the most popular games available, suddenly Vega's value completely changes.

This needs further testing.

CSGO monster.jpg

Well I always thought csgo had a 300 fps limit so I don't see this being  that big of a deal. Obviously having higher fps in a game like csgo is beneficial but I had thought the engine had a 300 fps limit.

4 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

Well I always thought csgo had a 300 fps limit so I don't see this being  that big of a deal. Obviously having higher fps in a game like csgo is beneficial but I had thought the engine had a 300 fps limit.

No you can set the limit to anything you want, set it to 1800fps or something

and its basically unlimited. 

Builds:

Spoiler

1 hour ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

we'll just have to disagree then...personally i hate to see the nvidia cards tested at 1650mhz when 95%+ of them can hold 2000mhz stable with the pushing of a single slider in afterburner and 100% of them can do 1900mhz...i think it's miss-representation of actual performance.

Did they disable gpu boost? Because  most will boost higher than that out of the box. Also it is kinda of unfair to compare a reference model of the Vega 56 with a AIB partner card gtx 1070. I mean Vega 56 will have partner cards with better overclocking and cooling  performance  which should compete better against the gtx 1070 partner cards.

1 minute ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

No you can set the limit to anything you want, set it to 1800fps or something

and its basically unlimited. 

Oh is it just set to 300 by default then?

Well information has just recently been released stating that the prices of Vega 64 aren't the final prices. It has been revealed by Overclockers UK that the price of Vega 64 (499) is set to increase in the long term to around £599. This does interfere with AMD's price to performance ratio slightly as their Vega 64 is now more expensive for +/- 5% performance making Nvidia's GTX 1080 seem sike the better deal.

Read the Article here

http://wccftech.com/amds-rx-vega-64s-499-price-tag-was-a-launch-only-introductory-offer/

This article paints a different picture:

GeForce Volta is coming - Nvidia and TSMC to increase production of 12nm

This week, TSMC, Nvidia’s silicon partner, announced that it will be kicking off production of its 12nm FinFET chips later this year, making Volta-based GeForce graphics cards possible as soon as early 2018.

So we won’t be seeing any GeForce-series Volta graphics cards in time for the holiday season, but with production of 12nm FinFET ramping up, we could see something in the first half of next year, potentially even before the end of March 2018 but that is speculation at this time.

https://www.kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/damien-cox/nvidia-and-tsmc-to-increase-production-of-12nm-volta-gpus-later-this-year/

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

41 minutes ago, VagabondWraith said:

This article paints a different picture:

GeForce Volta is coming - Nvidia and TSMC to increase production of 12nm

https://www.kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/damien-cox/nvidia-and-tsmc-to-increase-production-of-12nm-volta-gpus-later-this-year/

Not really a different picture: Article I quoted is Jan saying no consumer volta for holiday 2017. The ramp up could be related to quadro volta sales or just early 2018 release which is past the holiday season

-------

Current Rig

-------

4 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Not really a different picture: Article I quoted is Jan saying no consumer volta for holiday 2017. The ramp up could be related to quadro volta sales or just early 2018 release which is past the holiday season

Could also be the GV100 is ramping from increased demand since they are already implementing them in systems currently.

Its to bad they couldn't give specifics as to which silicon is being ramped up.

3 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Lines up pretty good with my theory about a CES announcement for Volta though, both articles do actually 

Builds:

Spoiler

1 hour ago, Brooksie359 said:

Oh is it just set to 300 by default then?

Yes. You can just change it in the console 

Builds:

Spoiler