RED Hydrogen - $1500 Android Smartphone

Just now, themctipers said:

I'm pretty sure security updates are issued in .1 updates with android, like iOS. Like, 7.0.3

No, security updates on Android are independent of version number.

1 minute ago, themctipers said:

im pretty sure one of those updates introduced material design all over,

That ugly abortion can burn in hell along side its creator.

2 minutes ago, themctipers said:

id be happy if my phone got an update

Most people prefer updates bring something useful. Which has been lacking since Lollipop, and the only real thing it brought was ART, which IMO was inferior to Dalvik until recently, and now it's about on par as far as my testing goes.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

7 minutes ago, Max_Settings said:

If it has the first 8K smartphone camera I'm buying.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Red's 8k sensor is 36x24mm.

That'd be one hell of a phone.

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

29 minutes ago, Dash Lambda said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Red's 8k sensor is 36x24mm.

That'd be one hell of a phone.

The phone itself will be using a 12 megapixel shooter shooting 1080p 30fps. 8k will be available if you buy the mods which costs twice the phone LOL.

1 minute ago, JuNex03 said:

The phone itself will be using a 12 megapixel shooter shooting 1080p 30fps. 8k will be available if you buy the mods which costs twice the phone LOL.

I think an 8k camera attachment would run you a lot more than double the price, mate.

Unless Red just wants to completely and utterly destroy its business in one swift motion, that is.

1 hour ago, Dash Lambda said:

I hate going too far off topic, so I'll hide my ramblings about the iPhone:

Hide contents

-snip-

You have to disassemble the phone in order to replace the battery, which nowadays means clawing through gobs of adhesive and fiddling with very delicate components. If I recall, the 4 and 5 series chassis were the last ones to actually feature screws as the primary fastener, which is something that I think makes a huge difference. In fact, looking at the earlier iPhones, I really can't say I have a lot against them. They're less like the modern paper plate phones and more just really streamlined phones with an OS I'd prefer not to use.

Anyway, in contrast to the current trend towards disposable black boxes, looking at the picture of the Red phone I just noticed a few big, clean, friendly hex screws. And they're not even security. If this thing is actually real, and those aren't just for show, that's some serious brownie points right there.

It sounds like you have more against advancing technology in general. In most fields you'll see a decrease in user serviceability as technology improves. The same is true in the automotive industry. It's just something you'll have to come to accept.

They said it's not final hardware. I'd hate to have user accessible screws like that. Sure, it's useful if you want to...do something inside (I can only think of changing the battery), but it also means anyone with a screwdriver can fuck with your phone. Not something I'm willing to risk.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

I think it's a gimmick. Kinda of like the 3DS and the whole 3DTV displays. It will probably be something like those failed gimmicks. Not saying they looked bad. I liked the 3DS one but it wasn't even 3D at all. lol This will be using nanotechnology.

I say it's just one last shot at making some bucks out of the 3D gimmick.

And also there is no Holographic content that would be worth buying right now. Actually there is nothing. lol

Also what could Holographic content even do? ... I don't see anything good about it.

9 hours ago, Bouzoo said:

I can not wait for the to reveal it does not come with a charger

Sorry to disappoint you on that595f058302736_ScreenShot2017-07-07at9_22_17AM.png.2c20fdfeadf6570cbea2a0f1c60ad80e.png

37 minutes ago, Dash Lambda said:

I think an 8k camera attachment would run you a lot more than double the price, mate.

Unless Red just wants to completely and utterly destroy its business in one swift motion, that is.

Well, I did not say how many mods you have to buy to achieve actual 8k. They can charge you $250 for a cable if they want.

48 minutes ago, dizmo said:

It sounds like you have more against advancing technology in general. In most fields you'll see a decrease in user serviceability as technology improves. The same is true in the automotive industry. It's just something you'll have to come to accept.

They said it's not final hardware. I'd hate to have user accessible screws like that. Sure, it's useful if you want to...do something inside (I can only think of changing the battery), but it also means anyone with a screwdriver can fuck with your phone. Not something I'm willing to risk.

Glue is not advancing technology.

We could always build things that were a pain in the ass to open, tech companies are just doing it more and more now because they're finding it financially beneficial in some way. Soldering chips to the mainboard I understand in such small devices as phones, even abandoning expandable storage is something I reluctantly accept when it means they improve the existing internal storage, but drenching a product in glue rather than having a slightly more complex design with serviceable fasteners is NOT advancement in technology.

As for the screws on the Red phone, I'm not sure what the hell you're doing on your phone but I don't see easily accessible fasteners as any particular security risk. I'm not paranoid enough to glue all my stuff together.

Unless it's something other than a security risk, in which case I'm curious.

4 hours ago, dizmo said:

Pricing never includes tax or shipping...why is that surprising to you?

In Portugal maybe, but I don't think anywhere in North America has taxes high enough to make that statement even remotely true.

I am not sure how NA works, but all pricings here include tax, which is 25%, which answers both of your questions. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

if you click on the link the 1500 version is made of titanium and they have a 1200 dollar version made of aluminum if they deliver on the holographic display they are not that much more than an iphone and it will have a cool if somewhat gimmicky feature to justify the extra 200

people are forgetting that this isnt for normal consumers. its for people who are already using Red cameras. which means budget is less of an issue.

That being said, this does look REALLY interesting. I may actually consider it as my next phone,  after i see a tech sheet, and after its released and properly tested.

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

With Red's logic, the phone is 1500, charger will be 500, cable will be another 100... xD

8 hours ago, dizmo said:

I'd hate to have user accessible screws like that. Sure, it's useful if you want to...do something inside (I can only think of changing the battery), but it also means anyone with a screwdriver can f*** with your phone. Not something I'm willing to risk.

7 hours ago, Dash Lambda said:

As for the screws on the Red phone, I'm not sure what the hell you're doing on your phone but I don't see easily accessible fasteners as any particular security risk. I'm not paranoid enough to glue all my stuff together.

I have to concur with Dash, I don't understand your reluctance towards screws on phones.  Unless you're worried about someone physically damaging your phone (which can easily be done without opening it), there's literally no reason to worry about someone accessing your phone via removing a couple screws.  And it's not like the phones can't still be water resistant, even with screws.

Consider the convenience factor of screws versus glue, and I literally don't see any argument against them.  Though if you have such an argument, I'm also interested in reading it.  Even if I don't agree with it, I'd at least like to see it.

I came here just to post this story... I was sad to see I got beat to the punch. Oh well.

I'm kind of excited to see what this thing actually is. 

For $1500 is that the entire phone or just a empty shell aka "brain". And then you'll have to spent another $3 million on parts like power button, screen, volume switch, speakers, receiver, head phone jack, sim card holder, battery cover, battery, etc.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

21 hours ago, Dash Lambda said:

Glue is not advancing technology.

We could always build things that were a pain in the ass to open, tech companies are just doing it more and more now because they're finding it financially beneficial in some way. Soldering chips to the mainboard I understand in such small devices as phones, even abandoning expandable storage is something I reluctantly accept when it means they improve the existing internal storage, but drenching a product in glue rather than having a slightly more complex design with serviceable fasteners is NOT advancement in technology.

Miniaturizing is, and if it takes glue to hold those components together instead of screws, that's an effect of advancing technology. When you look at the cost to implement something on devices that are being sold in the millions, every little bit adds up. Take into consideration the cost increase of screws vs glue. It's any times more expensive. You also have to have room to drill the pilot holes. Not only that, but you have to factor in just how many people it affects. I don't think there's enough people damaging their devices that will fix it themselves to warrant the added cost. If you think they don't research these things before putting out products, I don't know what to say.

13 hours ago, Jito463 said:

I have to concur with Dash, I don't understand your reluctance towards screws on phones.  Unless you're worried about someone physically damaging your phone (which can easily be done without opening it), there's literally no reason to worry about someone accessing your phone via removing a couple screws.  And it's not like the phones can't still be water resistant, even with screws.

Consider the convenience factor of screws versus glue, and I literally don't see any argument against them.  Though if you have such an argument, I'm also interested in reading it.  Even if I don't agree with it, I'd at least like to see it.

Allowing the back to be open easily will result in more people opening it just to see what it's like. This will undoubtedly lead to people somehow fucking up their device, and calling the device "crappy" as a result. Granted maybe not so much with this one, as it's quite expensive and I would hope those people would have a little more common sense, or the money to replace it easily enough that they'd just own up to their stupid mistakes. It's sad, but when designing something you need to account for the "most challenged" people that will buy it.

The glue is most often used for the screen, and sometimes bit around the body. I don't see how screws would change that.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

45 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Miniaturizing is, and if it takes glue to hold those components together instead of screws, that's an effect of advancing technology. When you look at the cost to implement something on devices that are being sold in the millions, every little bit adds up. Take into consideration the cost increase of screws vs glue. It's any times more expensive. You also have to have room to drill the pilot holes. Not only that, but you have to factor in just how many people it affects. I don't think there's enough people damaging their devices that will fix it themselves to warrant the added cost. If you think they don't research these things before putting out products, I don't know what to say.

I never said they don't research it -Thing is, that research isn't to figure out what's best for the customer, it's to find out what they can cut corners on without most of their customers getting angry. Fasteners don't even take very much room, and they sure as hell don't affect the electronics you can stuff in it. The only time they make a difference is when you're fussing over fractions of a millimeter (like Apple), which makes absolutely no difference and is ultimately just an excuse.

54 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Allowing the back to be open easily will result in more people opening it just to see what it's like. This will undoubtedly lead to people somehow fucking up their device, and calling the device "crappy" as a result. Granted maybe not so much with this one, as it's quite expensive and I would hope those people would have a little more common sense, or the money to replace it easily enough that they'd just own up to their stupid mistakes. It's sad, but when designing something you need to account for the "most challenged" people that will buy it.

That's... Not a justification. It's not even worth considering. You should consider people dropping it, sitting on it, being rough on connectors, sticking the wrong things in the wrong places, but if someone takes it apart they almost certainly understand at that point that it's on them. There will always be the extraordinary idiots, but only a certain subset of the market should be designed for those people, the rest should be for reasonable people.

My philosophy is that it's not the manufacturer's business what the customer does with the product.

Damn, they went all out on marketing shpeel in the pdf, that's for damn sure.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

That's, interesting. Would like to see this reviewed for sure.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

On 7/6/2017 at 11:59 AM, The Benjamins said:

what he means is that they have not made smartphones before which means they are inexperienced. which means they could do some basic mistakes that other brands know not to do.

EDIT: my dad has always wanted a smartphone that could take or add better lens to. he has SLR and DSLR cameras but now that phone and point and shoot cameras have gotten so much better he does not feel the need for a DSLR again.

To expand on that, given their history in video they're probably going to be not only inexperienced but overconfident and right down arrogant about their product, starting already with the price and the absurd, magical 3D holographic screen without glasses.

-------

Current Rig

-------

On 7/6/2017 at 4:07 PM, LinusTech said:

The point for me anyway is that I need it to do my job - talking about what the hell is the point of a $1200-1600 smartphone.

It probably will make more sense than that 1000$ HDMI cable you reviewed 

Just pre-ordered. The terms say you can get a full refund anytime before shipping and red has a good reputation. The improved video and photo module seems like a dream come true. We'll see