[UPDATED] Der8auer States Some X299 Low End boards Have Bad VRM Coolers

6 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

now imagine what those 14/16/18 core cpus will pull :/  

Yep, and that's why high wattage (1+ kW) power supplies will still exist, no matter what.

Certain configurations will require bigger power supplies, and do keep in mind it's never good to run a power supply 75% or more of its total capacity sustained, as it will shorten its effective lifespan, despite it being able to withstand those kinds of loads. Plus it's always a good thing to have the power supply fan not turn on at low to moderate loads.

3 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

On the v2 boards? :)

The i9-7980XE should just be called the "Circuit Flipper". We all know it's going to be tripping breakers a bunch.

Some boards like the Asus Rampage VI Extreme should handle those current loads that a CPU like the i9-7980XE will pull once you plug in the 8-pin and the 4-pin CPU power connectors at the same time. I wouldn't be surprised if there are rev.2 versions of those boards like that one where the revision has the dual 8-pin connectors to sustain those loads. I mean look at the Asus Zenith Extreme; that has dual 8-pin CPU connectors to support overclocking on the Ryzen Threadripper chips for the 14-core and the 16-core models, as the amount of current would easily overwhelm the single 8-pin and single 4-pin once overclocked.

RIGZ

Spoiler

Starlight (Current): AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-core CPU | EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Black Edition | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra | Full Custom Loop | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 1TB + 2TB M.2 NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSDs, 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD, 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | EVGA NU Audio | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i | Corsair ML120 2-pack 5x + ML140 2-pack

The Storm (Retired): Intel Core i7-5930K | Asus ROG STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 Ti | Asus ROG RAMPAGE V EDITION 10 | EKWB EK-KIT P360 with Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 Multiport 480 | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD + 3TB 5400 RPM NAS HDD + 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i + Black/Blue CableMod cables | Corsair ML120 2-pack 2x + NB-BlackSilentPro PL-2 x3

STRONK COOLZ 9000

Spoiler

EK-Quantum Momentum X570 Aorus Master monoblock | EK-FC RTX 2080 + Ti Classic RGB Waterblock and Backplate | EK-XRES 140 D5 PWM Pump/Res Combo | 2x Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 480 MP and 1x SR2 240 MP | 10X Corsair ML120 PWM fans | A mixture of EK-KIT fittings and EK-Torque STC fittings and adapters | Mayhems 10/13mm clear tubing | Mayhems X1 Eco UV Blue coolant | Bitspower G1/4 Temperature Probe Fitting

DESK TOIS

Spoiler

Glorious Modular Mechanical Keyboard | Glorious Model D Featherweight Mouse | 2x BenQ PD3200Q 32" 1440p IPS displays + BenQ BL3200PT 32" 1440p VA display | Mackie ProFX10v3 USB Mixer + Marantz MPM-1000 Mic | Sennheiser HD 598 SE Headphones | 2x ADAM Audio T5V 5" Powered Studio Monitors + ADAM Audio T10S Powered Studio Subwoofer | Logitech G920 Driving Force Steering Wheel and Pedal Kit + Driving Force Shifter | Logitech C922x 720p 60FPS Webcam | Xbox One Wireless Controller

QUOTES

Spoiler

"So because they didn't give you the results you want, they're biased? You realize that makes you biased, right?" - @App4that

"Brand loyalty/fanboyism is stupid." - Unknown person on these forums

"Assuming kills" - @Moondrelor

"That's not to say that Nvidia is always better, or that AMD isn't worth owning. But the fact remains that this forum is AMD biased." - @App4that

"I'd imagine there's exceptions to this trend - but just going on mine and my acquaintances' purchase history, we've found that budget cards often require you to turn off certain features to get slick performance, even though those technologies are previous gen and should be having a negligible impact" - ace42

"2K" is not 2560 x 1440 

4 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Without the spec sheets for the Motherboards, it's hard to say for sure, but, for all of the issues with how Der8auer was able to cause the issue, he has found something repeatable across multiple boards. (There's no way to call a $300 USD motherboard "low-end", but they're the cheapest tier.) Which really just means that the Minimum Head Dissipation spec for the VRMs was set too low. If it was just one board from one company, then it was just a design flaw. He managed to force it in 3(?) companies, which means it's a minimum specification issue.

This will be fixed when the v2 end up launching later in the year.

But, I do love this thread.  At least it's nice to know that if you want to OC your X299 chip, make sure you're ready to spend $2000 USD. :)

I've seen the videos, and Der8auer has already stated his methodology. He removes the VRM current limit within the bios, manually sets VCCIN, and throws 12k FFT Prime95 at it. The multiple boards he repeated it on, were still technically the "cheapest" X299 boards, even though they were $300ish boards. In this context, low-end is a relative term.  Low-end compared to say, the $500 Aorus Gaming 7 or ASUS X299 Deluxe, which do not have these problems. Low-end in regards to quality, rather than price.

I personally believe the board partners were not expecting this level of heat for the VRM's, probably due to the fact that they didn't expect high-core count unsoldered chips to clock this high, or they completely underestimated the wider AVX bit-width. It's hard to say at this point, but it's certainly something they need to take into consideration for future boards. Give the low-end less RGB's and less features, but make sure the boards themselves are capable of supplying worst-case power without throttling. If people want to have their cake and eat it too, then they need to invest in more expensive boards to get that extra sex appeal or features that they want.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

2 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

if having to delid a 2000 dollar cpu isn't bullshit i don't know what is 

If you're going for max overclocks, you shouldn't be surprised that you have to go over the top to succeed.  Leave it stock then if you can't hang or drop back to a lower overclock.

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

2 minutes ago, AnonymousGuy said:

If you're going for max overclocks, you shouldn't be surprised that you have to go over the top to succeed.  Leave it stock then if you can't hang or drop back to a lower overclock.

for 2grand i expect liquid metal, hand picked silicon for he best oc, and a blow job

50 minutes ago, MageTank said:

I want everyone to remember exactly why Der8auer uses Prime95. He brought it up in that second VRM video of his. He builds pre-built machines for people, and personally believes to use "the most stressful" means of validating stability. Aside from him being wrong about Prime95 being the most stressful (seriously, Linpack MKL, not even once), his point is relatively simple. If he cannot use this methodology to provide his clients a full, 100% stable overclock under the "worst" conditions, then it is a problem for him. His worry is, if he uses less stressful programs, and someone gets their system and decided to use Prime95 and it throttle or crash, that he sold them an invalid overclock. It's a perfectly fine way of thinking, and I do not blame him for having that rationale. However, everyone's personal stress test methodology is going to be different. You might find Prime95 to be primitive and brutal, and overkill for something nobody will need, but others believe it's the only way to guarantee complete stability at all times.

I don't agree with this.  Der8bauer has demonstrated otherwise in previous Skylake-X related videos in which he touted the high clock speeds of Skylake-X chips using Prime95 (no AVX) as his source of validation.  Even going as far as saying that he doesn't understand why people are complaining about Skylake-X (the CPU that could do 5 GHz delidded with an AIO using a non AVX load).

CaseKing is also known for selling 5.2 to 5.3 GHz 7700k CPUs.  Apply the reasoning that you outlined above to that and I think you'll see see where I'm going with this.  Maybe it's just okay that they sell them separately described as such as long as they don't include them in their in-house builds?

Why all of a sudden start talking about the strictest of requirements on CPUs?  The "worst" conditions seem to change based on the message needing to be delivered.  

Here's a sample of one of there 5.1 GHz chips currently available for sale.  The non-AVX version of Prime?  hmm.

Capture.JPG

Just now, cj09beira said:

for 2grand i expect liquid metal, hand picked silicon for he best oc, and a blow job

Tangent from the thread but I've been wanting Intel to sell Diamond Platinum Jizz-You-Pant-Extreme-Edition chips that are pre-binned based on the equivalent of ASIC value.  It's 100% possible to do using the data that is already available (yay vertical integration of your fab and assembly test processes), it's just not being capitalized on (probably because the market is really small despite the massive profit margin you'd get).

It wouldn't surprise me if the 7980XEs are already going to at least be somewhat pre-binned to fit in the TDP.

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

1 minute ago, AnonymousGuy said:

Tangent from the thread but I've been wanting Intel to sell Diamond Platinum Jizz-You-Pant-Extreme-Edition chips that are pre-binned based on the equivalent of ASIC value.  It's 100% possible to do using the data that is already available (yay vertical integration of your fab and assembly test processes), it's just not being capitalized on (probably because the market is really small despite the massive profit margin you'd get).

It wouldn't surprise me if the 7980XEs are already going to at least be somewhat pre-binned to fit in the TDP.

the market who be too small to account for the disruption in the assembly line, 

they might be

13 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

I don't agree with this.  Der8bauer has demonstrated otherwise in previous Skylake-X related videos in which he touted the high clock speeds of Skylake-X chips using Prime95 (no AVX) as his source of validation.  Even going as far as saying that he doesn't understand why people are complaining about Skylake-X (the CPU that could do 5 GHz delidded with an AIO using a non AVX load).

CaseKing is also known for selling 5.2 to 5.3 GHz 7700k CPUs.  Apply the reasoning that you outlined above to that and I think you'll see see where I'm going with this.  Maybe it's just okay that they sell them separately described as such as long as they don't include them in their in-house builds?

Why all of a sudden start talking about the strictest of requirements on CPUs?  The "worst" conditions seem to change based on the message needing to be delivered.  

You would have to ask him that. I am simply stating what he said his reasoning was, and that I understood the rationale behind it. I test for worst case myself, and I use worst-case as my 24/7 profile because I know under less stressful situations, I should be absolutely fine. Whether or not you believe him is one thing, but his reasoning isn't wrong in that regard.

I've also stated several times over, that he made mistakes in his videos. The 80C VRM temperature that he called "dangerous" is far from true, when these things can hit 125C and still be safe. His poor choice in a title was also condemned by most people (though I did still give him the benefit of the doubt) and as I've said before, his methodology is not a law that must be followed by all, nor is his opinion over whether or not these VRM's are bad, the be all, end all on the subject. He brought to light that under a very specific, very niche level of load, that certain "lower end" boards have inadequate cooling, resulting in a throttle for that specific workload. While some see this exposure as "the sky is falling" and that it's a scare tactic, people like myself see it as "more information for those that may be interested, is good". 

You've done a great job at countering his thesis with your board. Rather than try to attack his intent, counter it with your own results.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

24 minutes ago, MageTank said:

Rather than try to attack his intent, counter it with your own results.

Truthfully, I like his stuff and nothing's really changed with that as a result of any of this.  He's brought some great leading information to the community and I'll continue to support him in doing so.  Unless he keeps up with the flashy title shit.  xD

I still don't get his intention behind the video. I mean you throw Prime 95 on any Intel CPU and you're going to run into issues. Why X299 all of a sudden? I mean a sensationalist headline purposefully made to draw attention for a majority of people who are not running Prime 95 with Furmark with 1 case fan to go with it. xD 

His intentions are unsound.

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

@VagabondWraith I think so too. Like, the guy has TONS of experience, I acknowledge that. And what he says almost makes complete sense. But still. Just as I wrote. It's like trying to get my 6850K to 4.7 GHz at 1.48x vcore, and using MSi X99A Raider, or Asus X99-E. It's a no go, at both cases, no matter how "good the design of the motherboard is."

4 minutes ago, uplink777 said:

@VagabondWraith I think so too. Like, the guy has TONS of experience, I acknowledge that. And what he says almost makes complete sense. But still. Just as I wrote. It's like trying to get my 6850K to 4.7 GHz at 1.48x vcore, and using MSi X99A Raider, or Asus X99-E. It's a no go, at both cases, no matter how "good the design of the motherboard is."

I mean, his video doesn't apply to me because I'll never use Prime 95 in my system, ever. Much like I'll never use Furmark to burn my GPU to a crisp. But if you go and create the most unrealistic scenarios for anything out there, you're gonna have problems. 

I wonder what will happen if I take all my case fans out and let my components fend for themselves... they're gonna burn up right? No shit! xD That's how stupid his video is. If people are going to run Prime 95, then good on them. But I find it hard to believe people buying into HEDT don't understand the risks when they're not taking proper precautions and making sure that all their components are up to snuff.

The title of his video tells me he has vile intentions and was meant to rile people up.

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

2 minutes ago, VagabondWraith said:

The title of his video tells me he has vile intentions and was meant to rile people up.

This I would definitely agree with.  Considering the extremes it takes to get to the point of seeing this on lower-end boards hardly constitutes a VRM disaster.  "VRM concerns under worst case scenarios" doesn't sound as cool and won't necessarily get the views.  

3 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

This I would definitely agree with.  Considering the extremes it takes to get to the point of seeing this on lower-end boards hardly constitutes a VRM disaster.  "VRM concerns under worst case scenarios" doesn't sound as cool and won't necessarily get the views.  

Don't get me wrong, I think Der8auer is s fantastic overclocker and respect his work, but I'm a bit salty about his video title and content therein.

-----

I'm gonna try for 5GHz this weekend. Going to get my office temps down to ~ 13-14c then go for it. :D Also bought a kill-a-watt that'll be here tomorrow. :) 

I'm beginning to think that a board like my P5Q Deluxe would have its VRM go up in flames with some of the CPU power figures being thrown around. Even with a very well cooled 16 phase VRM.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Well, i think Tom Logan got it wrong again. Its not only about Prime95. In fact Der8auer shows that Cinebenchs Load is harder then Prime95's. He was also pointing out that people dont even realise that they are throttling. You infact can run Firestrike or any other application/benchmark and get worse results without knowing whats wrong. Especially if you run a Custom Loop and CPU temps are acceptable but your VRM temps are not.

Tom doesnt even changed all the settings necessary to run into the same problems as he himself told us in his video. His CPU was throttling due to overheat protection at 94°C period and it managed to go up to 105°C+ while he didnt even notice that this was the reason prime95 lost load on his tests after talking 1week to Der8auer about it.

What we know infact is. SkylakeX is much to power hungry, hot and expansive. We also know now that the x299 Mainboards are overprized for the flaws they come with. "Cheaper kind of boards" doesnt mean anything if you pay 300€ for it, period. If you pay 300€ you can expect decent VRM cooling.

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x3D | MoBo: MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | RAM: G.Skill F4-3600C15D-16GTZ @3800CL16 | GPU: RTX 2080Ti | PSU: Corsair HX1200 | 

Case: Lian Li 011D XL | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB, Crucial MX500 500GB | Soundcard: Soundblaster ZXR | Mouse: Razer Viper Mini | Keyboard: Razer Huntsman TE Monitor: DELL AW2521H @360Hz |

1 hour ago, DarkSmith2 said:

Especially if you run a Custom Loop and CPU temps are acceptable but your VRM temps are not.

I've switched to EKWB's monoblock CPU+MB+VRM so should be fine if I was running X299? Also how many people run custom loops and don't do the MB/VRM?

I'm assuming EKWB will do one of these for X299 at some point.

https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-fb-asus-r4be-monoblock-acetal-nickel

https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-fb-asus-r5e-monoblock-acetal-nickel

22 minutes ago, leadeater said:

I've switched to EKWB's monoblock CPU+MB+VRM so should be fine if I was running X299? Also how many people run custom loops and don't do the MB/VRM?

Part of the problem with cooling motherboards is that the blocks in the past at least were very hard to come by, even though older boards would benefit more than newer ones due to non-integrated NB.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

1 hour ago, leadeater said:

I have a Maximus VIII Formula on the peasant platform, while I don't currently use the liquid part, that's really because one of my rad blocks one of the fitting holes. My VRM gets pretty toasty on 800MHz switching, not efficient but great stability. 

Yours faithfully

57 minutes ago, leadeater said:

I think plenty. Me included. :)

44 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

Part of the problem with cooling motherboards is that the blocks in the past at least were very hard to come by, even though older boards would benefit more than newer ones due to non-integrated NB.

Yep, I buy my motherboards based on what blocks are available. Problem with that is you basically have to buy the highest model Asus/Gigabyte etc sells, I was going to anyway but it's a real problem. Would be nice if motherboard manufactures kept to a more uniform component height and mounting layout so almost every board could use the same water block.

1 hour ago, leadeater said:

Well i guess the average Custom Loop user havnt had a reason to use a Monoblock if not for aesthetics, atleast not in the last couple of years. But as we've heard from Tom Logan, who asked Asus, what would be if he manage to get better cooling to the VRMs and the answer was that it'll just work fine.

Tom and Roman planning to test different thermal pads and stuff to bring those temps down. Because the termal pads included seem to be really bad..

For EK ive heard they havnt planned any Monoblocks for x299 just yet. They havnt sold them well in the past...

Also from my understanding of the comments below both videos the Motherboard design of these "cheap" boards doesnt allow you to clock much higher then "stable" 4,5GHz no matter what you are doing anyway... because the voltage you can pull isnt enough to go much higher... and the VRMs also arent really the best.

So if you plan to buy x299 and want to overclock really high you just cant buy any Motherboard out for that yet. Even if you would have a really nice Custom loop.

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x3D | MoBo: MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | RAM: G.Skill F4-3600C15D-16GTZ @3800CL16 | GPU: RTX 2080Ti | PSU: Corsair HX1200 | 

Case: Lian Li 011D XL | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB, Crucial MX500 500GB | Soundcard: Soundblaster ZXR | Mouse: Razer Viper Mini | Keyboard: Razer Huntsman TE Monitor: DELL AW2521H @360Hz |

2 minutes ago, DarkSmith2 said:

Well i guess the average Custom Loop user havnt had a reason to use a Monoblock if not for aesthetics, atleast not in the last couple of years. But as we've heard from Tom Logan, who asked Asus, what would be if he manage to get better cooling to the VRMs and the answer was that it'll just work fine.

Tom and Roman planning to test different thermal pads and stuff to bring those temps down. Because the termal pads included seem to be really bad..

For EK ive heard they havnt planned any Monoblocks for x299 just yet. They havnt sold them well in the past...

Also from my understanding of the comments below both videos the Motherboard design of these "cheap" boards doesnt allow you to clock much higher then stable 4,5GHz no matter what you are doing anyway... because the voltage you can pull isnt enough to go much higher... and the VRMs also arent really the best.

So if you plan to buy x299 and want to overclock really high you just cant buy any Motherboard out for that yet. Even if you would have a really nice Custom loop.

Yea I went with monoblock for aesthetics but also because it makes hard tubing a hell of a lot easier, less fittings and bends etc. I actually converted from separate CPU and MB/VRM blocks to the monoblock, I'm still running R4BE (X79) and don't really have any plans to upgrade soon.

Just now, leadeater said:

Yea I went with monoblock for aesthetics but also because it makes hard tubing a hell of a lot easier, less fittings and bends etc. I actually converted from separate CPU and MB/VRM blocks to the monoblock, I'm still running R4BE (X79) and don't really have any plans to upgrade soon.

I think the monoblocks are ugly as hell, I much prefer the tight bends and fittings from VRM/CPU block combos, monoblocks are just masses that completely break the flow of a board.

Yours faithfully

Just now, Lord Nicoll said:

I think the monoblocks are ugly as hell, I much prefer the tight bends and fittings from VRM/CPU block combos, monoblocks are just masses that completely break the flow of a board.

Does come down to what you like, the monoblock on the Black Edition does look nice and I use the acetal one not the clear cos that really is bloody ugly. I actually think it only looks nice due to the Black Edition full black design with no decals on it anywhere.

Unfortunately I only have a before but it's pretty easy to tell what it would look like using the monoblock.

3Wv2sr.jpg