[UPDATED] Der8auer States Some X299 Low End boards Have Bad VRM Coolers

3 hours ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Well, I am going to answer that for you.......

Hide contents

ASUS DOESN'T MAKE A MOTHERBOARD WITH FUCKING HEATPIPE COOLING.... WHAT THE FUCK ASUS?

They used to have heatpipes for the chipset+VRM (eg. My P5Q Deluxe....which is picky AF with DDR2 1066) on high end boards with 8-16 phase VRM. And they cost less than the current X299 boards do as well (for the most part).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

6 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

I get the feeling the "baseline" design specs for the VRM load ended up being set too low, which is why the ones with less cooling on them have run into issues.

As I've mentioned, this is nothing specific to x299.  You can find lower end VRMs and VRM cooling on any platform.  While sometimes you can actually score and get a great board for a low price, it's definitely not the norm.  On any platform, if you buy the cheapest thing you can find, it will generally not take your CPU to it's limits.

My son's cheap AsRock z170 board is a great example of this.  I borrowed it from him when I was binning 7700k CPUs.  I realized on the very first CPU tested that it was throttling the CPU as the VRM overheated.  Aim a fan at the VRM and the throttling was fixed.  The board is good enough for him because he's a 7 year old that doesn't care about overclocking.  I sure as shit wouldn't use it though.  

5 minutes ago, mr moose said:

As is always the case, the truth comes out in the end.  I wonder if those guys at the start of this thread (who were adamant it was a "platform wide" issue because Intel was shit etc etc) are learning from jumping the gun with their ideals.

I agree.

If there's anyone I trust, who reviews power supplies for a living, for 20+ years, it's JonnyGuru. If he says a single 8 pin is enough, you know it's enough.

Der8auer lost credibility with me, intentional or not. Spreading FUD like that no matter intention is not ok with me. That's why you can never rely on 1 person.

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

18 minutes ago, VagabondWraith said:

I agree.

If there's anyone I trust, who reviews power supplies for a living, for 20+ years, it's JonnyGuru. If he says a single 8 pin is enough, you know it's enough.

Der8auer lost credibility with me, intentional or not. Spreading FUD like that no matter intention is not ok with me. That's why you can never rely on 1 person.

The good thing to come from this is that we learn (some of us anyway) not to take one person at their word before shit canning an entire platform/company/range of products.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

@done12many2 So, the long and short of your experiences comes down to:

Hot things get hot.

And that you shouldn't be a fucking idiot about remedying that.

Seems like a fairly simple and basic concept in theory. In practice, it breaks the brains of thousands, potentially millions of people.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

5 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

@done12many2 So, the long and short of your experiences comes down to:

Hot things get hot.

And that you shouldn't be a fucking idiot about remedying that.

Seems like a fairly simple and basic concept in theory. In practice, it breaks the brains of thousands, potentially millions of people.

Yep.

Experts by proxy.  It's the LTT way.  

Just now, done12many2 said:

Yep.

Experts by proxy.  It's the LTT way.  

If something else on X299 gets hot, that gets hot on every other platform, and I post it first, title's going to be:

"X299 - Hot things get hot, and why it should scare YOU"

And it's just going to be sarcasm, snark, and ridicule the entire time.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

8 hours ago, tom_w141 said:

Hey link me the Threadripper review you are referring to.

if you think thread ripper is going to outperform x299 in anything other than being cheap, you're in for a rude awakening lol.

The 1800x can barely muster 4 to 4.1 ghz overclocks, now imagine putting multiple of those on one substrate, adding shit tons of latency, and trying to overclock it then.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

10 hours ago, Notional said:

No one should buy that. Like absolutely no one. It's a ripoff product, that makes no sense. Maybe you can pry it off the substrate and stick it onto a z270 board :P

I'm sure there's use cases that it makes sense in, maybe someone needs a certain feature on X299 and wants to get it as cheap as possible, who knows really.  

I agree that it doesn't make sense for people like us, but someone somewhere probably has a use for it.   Either way, from a benchmarking perspective it's great.  There are benchmarks that work better on low core "consumer" parts and ones that run better on "HEDT enthusiast" parts.  This is the first time people that are die-hard benchmarkers can just have one platform that does it all.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

4 hours ago, VagabondWraith said:

I agree.

He's a GIANT ASUS shill, they provide him with LOTS of parts for extreme overclocking and R&D, I wouldn't be surprised if he only made this video to give ASUS more time to fix shit they tried to cheap out on, whilst shitting on all the other companies in the process.

to me this is just lazy work period(reviewer mobos and all in between), should been tested with all variables left out, this could have been easily done considering a paid source ranted but commented on 1 psu, 1 etc 1 etc, given the fact he came out with videos of its oc potential weeks before

tdp/vrm/ram/etc all should have been done before its video to have some type of linear statistics

so he could pinpoint the problem and let others known,

I can understand his anger but to rant on with and give everyone a false interpretation is wrong, like I said variables should have been checked especially

especially considering who he is, I'm sure many others would have donated boards to get to the conclusion

anyways we should be happy either way we as consumers have a little war going on and its us that benefit

So what was the final conclusion here? 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Just now, djdwosk97 said:

So what was the final conclusion here? 

Hot things get hot.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

Just now, Drak3 said:

Hot things get hot.

*insert sarcastic bunny here*

But actually what was the conclusion?

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Just now, djdwosk97 said:

*insert sarcastic bunny here*

But actually what was the conclusion?

I'm not being sarcastic (by much) though. 

The only REAL conclusion is that lower end boards are a bit lacking in VRM cooling capacity, and need a fan on order to not throttle the CPU when pushing clocks. Not news at all, it happened on X99, Z170,Z270, AM3+ and older, FM2+ and older. Only platforms I believe didn't have this problem being Z87 and Z97, and only for FIVR.

So, hot things get hot.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

19 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

I'm not being sarcastic (by much) though. 

The only REAL conclusion is that lower end boards are a bit lacking in VRM cooling capacity, and need a fan on order to not throttle the CPU when pushing clocks. Not news at all, it happened on X99, Z170,Z270, AM3+ and older, FM2+ and older. Only platforms I believe didn't have this problem being Z87 and Z97, and only for FIVR.

So, hot things get hot.

I meant more what was the chain of events that happened between der8auer/johnny guru/others? I skimmed through the thread and saw a few posts about how person A was wrong then B then....

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

I meant more what was the chain of events that happened between der8auer/johnny guru/others? I skimmed through the thread and saw a few posts about how person A was wrong then B then....

Oh. Final conclusion:

Non news is non news.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

1 minute ago, djdwosk97 said:

der8bauer created a video demonstrating that x299 boards were having VRM cooling issues, which lead to throttling.  In that video, he also stated that single 8-pin EPS connectors were not sufficient enough for x299.  He also noted that the EPS cables were heating up.  He tested in an open air configuration with no air flow over the VRM or EPS connection area.

JjohnyGURU has clarified that a single 8-pin is adequate and Tom from OC3D clarified that the VRM cooling on the x299 boards that he tested were more than adequate.

Nobody was necessarily wrong, but der8bauer should have been more clear in his video that he was testing cheap boards without air flow over the VRMs or EPS connections when the problems occurred.

15 hours ago, done12many2 said:

but der8bauer should have been more clear in his video that he was testing cheap boards without air flow over the VRMs or EPS connections when the problems occurred.

Especially given most of his work concentrates on overclocking higher spec'd gear where all this is kinda crucial knowledge. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

He still has a point though to a degree. Any X299 board shouldn't really be considered 'low end' so shouldn't have these VRM issues. 

4 minutes ago, ChristianChalliner said:

He still has a point though to a degree. Any X299 board shouldn't really be considered 'low end' so shouldn't have these VRM issues. 

If you want to spend $300 on a motherboard for a $1000 CPU, I bet that you don't care if the CPU is running at 4GHz instead of 4.5GHz :D

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

24 minutes ago, ChristianChalliner said:

Well, yes and no. Considering x299 CPUs range from 4c/4t and $200~ up to 18c/36t and a few thousand dollars it makes sense to have low end/cheap boards available... Although the low end board still has a pretty hefty premium that will hopefully go away after x299 is no longer brand new.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

Hi guys,

One technical question. I have a setup like this:

https://goo.gl/photos/oZbjdyN5viBCvuYT8

And I'm gonna hit it with X299 Aorus Gaming 9 + 7900X.

I already have the CPU, but I'm waiting for motherboard, which should arrive tomorrow.

My question is, because I'm kind of indecisive at this moment, after seeing der8auer, and some other guys complaining about vrm temps. The thing is that the VRM cooler is the same on Gaming 3 riiight to 7. I have pretty high airflow in my case, and my actual temps on 6850K running @ 4.7 GHz with 1.498 vcore are around 80-90°C [VRM, CPU is running up to 80°C] when at full load. I'm pushing plenty of air with 2 x Corsair ML120 Pro [intake], but still, I have not a slightest clue how bad this issue is, or, whether it's real. I mean, I'm really used to "loud" airflow noise when gaming, or rendering, so I don't mind having my computer a little "airy", though I'd like to be sure that my current setup [Fractal Define R5 Blackout + Seasonic Prime 850 SSR-850TD and 6 x Corsair ML120 Pro] are up for the X299 + i9 7900X.

Please advise. Oh, and yes. The Snow Silent died a week ago, thus I have the inactual photos. I'd take BeQuiet Dark Power, but I don't have the compatibile cables, so I succumbed to "inferior" Prime 850 SSR-850TD.

Thank You for Your time, knowledge and wisdom,

kind regards

uplink

10 minutes ago, uplink777 said:

Hi guys,

@done12many2 has a 7900X with an AORUS Gaming 7, he should be able to help you :D

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

5 minutes ago, uplink777 said:

Hi guys,

I already have the CPU, but I'm waiting for motherboard, which should arrive tomorrow.

Great choice.  You're going to love the setup!

5 minutes ago, uplink777 said:

My question is, because I'm kind of indecisive at this moment, after seeing der8auer, and some other guys complaining about vrm temps. The thing is that the VRM cooler is the same on Gaming 3 riiight to 7.

The Gigabyte X299 AORUS Gaming 9 and the Gigabyte X299 AORUS Gaming 3 do not  use the same VRM cooler, nor do they have the same EPS header configuration.  The Gigabyte X299 AORUS Gaming 9 uses two separate heatsinks connected via a heatpipe compared to the single heatsink on the Gaming 3.  It also has 2 x 8-pin EPS headers as opposed to the 1 x 8-pin on the Gaming 3.  You'll be more than fine with the Gigabyte X299 AORUS Gaming 9.

I'm using a Gaming 7, which is the same thing as a Gaming 9 minus the built-in audio amplifier and the extra M.2 heatsinks.  My Gaming 7 is throwing tons of power at my 7900X without any issues at all.  

Hope that helps and good luck with the upgrade.

ledimage (1).png

ledimage.png