[UPDATED] Der8auer States Some X299 Low End boards Have Bad VRM Coolers

Just now, leadeater said:

Does come down to what you like, the monoblock on the Black Edition does look nice and I use the acetal one not the clear cos that really is bloody ugly. I actually think it only looks nice due to the Black Edition full black design with no decals on it anywhere.

Unfortunately I only have a before but it's pretty easy to tell what it would look like using the monoblock.

3Wv2sr.jpg

Other than the ram being unnecessary constriction, I really do prefer the individual blocks, but I agree plexi is ugly, I have the black acetal (technically delrin) with the SQL what ever they call it pattern, I just hate the block being so massive, it looks like a blob on the board. Pretty much all the new high end true ROG (none of the STRIX crap working it's way into the pure breed ROG line) is black edition since they went RGB, and you need a pretty neutral pallet for RGB. 

Yours faithfully

10 minutes ago, Lord Nicoll said:

Other than the ram being unnecessary constriction, I really do prefer the individual blocks, but I agree plexi is ugly, I have the black acetal (technically delrin) with the SQL what ever they call it pattern, I just hate the block being so massive, it looks like a blob on the board. Pretty much all the new high end true ROG (none of the STRIX crap working it's way into the pure breed ROG line) is black edition since they went RGB, and you need a pretty neutral pallet for RGB. 

Here's a terrible photo of the current system.

B7upaT.jpg

I need to redo the tubing from the CPU to the top RAD but it was like 3am at the time I did that and just wanted to get the bloody thing done, 3 years later haven't done shit to fix the rush job lol.

10Gb NIC also looks out of place so I'm glad those are becoming standard onboard now with higher end motherboards.

1 minute ago, leadeater said:

B7upaT.jpg

Nice looking build man! :D

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

2 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Here's a terrible photo of the current system.

B7upaT.jpg

I need to redo the tubing from the CPU to the top RAD but it was like 3am at the time I did that and just wanted to get the bloody thing done, 3 years later haven't done shit to fix the rush job lol.

10Gb NIC also looks out of place so I'm glad those are becoming standard onboard now with higher end motherboards.

You've at least got decent OC's on those, right? I know someone with a similar loop on stock Xeon system, and I give him shit for it every chance I get.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Here's a terrible photo on the current system.

B7upaT.jpg

Would you like some motherboard with your blocks lol? I'm still working on my case, I modded it pretty heavily and never bothered to finished it or paint the modded areas, but I think I'll go with bright shiny red with matte black areas for contrast. Personally I think I'm just not a fan of that style, I like really clean angles and very precise zones of cooling, what has be so down on the monoblocks is it's just too much, it's like taking a really nice cake and pouring a litre of cream on it, you just ruin a really nice cake and waste some cream, also I think it's the cost thing, it can sometimes be a cheaper option so instantly I'm down on it, if I don't spend months thinking about how much I spent on something, feeling guilty and thinking about what else I could have bought, it just really takes me out of the whole experience. 

Yours faithfully

Just now, Drak3 said:

You've at least got decent OC's on those, right? I know someone with a similar loop on stock Xeon system, and I give him shit for it every chance I get.

All standard XMP profile defaults, muahaha. I don't even OC the GPUs either, I hope this makes you really mad ;).

All standard XMP profile defaults, muahaha. I don't even OC the GPUs either, I hope this makes you really mad ;).

Okay Ern.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

2 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Why the hell would you do that to a Xeon lol, I have rack servers but I don't water cool them (mostly because they don't need it).

He deserves the stick for that one

Yours faithfully

Just now, Lord Nicoll said:

Why the hell would you do that to a Xeon lol, I have rack servers but I don't water cool them (mostly because they don't need it).

He deserves the stick for that one

He says aesthetics and why the hell not. He also water cooled his RAM and GTX 970. Both at stock, unless he very recently changed it.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

Just now, Drak3 said:

He says aesthetics and why the hell not. He also water cooled his RAM and GTX 970. Both at stock, unless he very recently changed it.

GPU I can understand, in fact a friend had me build him a GPU only loop, he had one rad spot and decided that GPU boost would benefit the water cooling the most, and fuck it worked, sure he lost out on a few hundred MHz on his CPU maybe, but he gained that on his GPU. Aesthetics, I'm not so sure about, the whole idea of the badass PC's is they look as good as they go, if it's just looks you're after you have to go full bore custom modded show PC grades, otherwise it's not even that hardcore. 

Yours faithfully

1 minute ago, Drak3 said:

I plan to water cool my servers, going to put a 4U/5U chassis at the top of my rack and put the RADs, pumps and res in that then plumb down the sides of the rack and use quick disconnects to the back of the servers. I'm doing it for noise reasons since at some point I'll be around 8-10 servers which won't be quiet even if I mod the fan controllers or replace the stock fans.

3 minutes ago, Lord Nicoll said:

GPU I can understand, in fact a friend had me build him a GPU only loop, he had one rad spot and decided that GPU boost would benefit the water cooling the most, and fuck it worked, sure he lost out on a few hundred MHz on his CPU maybe, but he gained that on his GPU.

I've always thought if you had to pick between CPU or GPU then water cool the GPU, it gets hotter and is more directly beneficial to gaming performance.

I plan to water cool my servers, going to put a 4U/5U chassis at the top of my rack and put the RADs, pumps and res in that then plumb down the sides of the rack and use quick disconnects to the back of the servers. I'm doing it for noise reasons since at some point I'll be around 8-10 servers which won't be quiet even if I mod the fan controllers or replace the stock fans.

asetec has a system for rack servers to keep them cool, with rads designed for servers and some pretty neat stuff you don't see on the consumer ones, in terms of reliability and redundancy, I think it's almost better than a custom DIY solutions for servers.

Yours faithfully

1 minute ago, Lord Nicoll said:

Aesthetics, I'm not so sure about, the whole idea of the badass PC's is they look as good as they go, if it's just looks you're after you have to go full bore custom modded show PC grades, otherwise it's not even that hardcore.

EH, aesthetics comes down to personal tastes.

Personally, as a partial utilitarian, I need the function to be there before the form. Thankfully, with RGB on color neutral, high end boards, and the growing options for both easy and involved mods, I don't have to choose. I'd like to do a set of loops, one for my 470 and 1080, the other for my 5930K, mostly of glass and copper hard tubing, with rubber tubing runs to the CPU and GPU blocks to make part swaps easy.

Yeah, but that's a good reason to water cool them. Doing it for aesthetics, in a case that is completely steel, no side panel windows, is not.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

I've always thought if you had to pick between CPU or GPU then water cool the GPU, it gets hotter and is more directly beneficial to gaming performance.

well it certainly works for him, I'm sure you could add the I5 6600K he has in with the GTX 1070 and 240mm rad and it'd be fine, but the air cooler (NH-D15) does a good enough job for 4.6GHz. 

Yours faithfully

1 minute ago, Lord Nicoll said:

asetec has a system for rack servers to keep them cool, with rads designed for servers and some pretty neat stuff you don't see on the consumer ones, in terms of reliability and redundancy, I think it's almost better than a custom DIY solutions for servers.

Only problem with that is I only have DIY/home user money to spend on it not datacenter money, none of their stuff is cheap if I can even source it in NZ.

Just now, Drak3 said:

Yeah, but that's a good reason to water cool them. Doing it for aesthetics, in a case that is completely steel, no side panel windows, is not.

WAIT, he can't even see it, maybe he just hates his money or keeps his side panel off all the time

Yours faithfully

Only problem with that is I only have DIY/home user money to spend on it not datacenter money, none of their stuff is cheap if I can even source it in NZ.

That's true, all my servers are mostly ex data centre HP's, LGA 1366 stuff, does what I need. My best server has 60GB RAM and 2x Xeon X5670's. 

Yours faithfully

WAIT, he can't even see it, maybe he just hates his money or keeps his side panel off all the time

Maybe he did, but he integrated the system into his desk, so the side panel has to stay on now.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

3 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Actually, I have always though about integrating quick disconnect fittings into PCI brackets, since servers always have a bunch of those are the back, I'm sure with some.... Wait you probably don't have CNC mills, 3D printers and welding equipment, so yeah, ghetto it is I assume?

Yours faithfully

2 minutes ago, Lord Nicoll said:

That's true, all my servers are mostly ex data centre HP's, LGA 1366 stuff, does what I need. My best server has 60GB RAM and 2x Xeon X5670's. 

Yea I use 1366 servers, damn great performance and dirt cheap on ebay. I have 1 IBM x3500 M4 which is LGA2011, any new servers from now on I'll be using LGA2011.

Yea I use 1366 servers, damn great performance and dirt cheap on ebay. I have 1 IBM x3500 M4 which is LGA2011, any new servers from now on I'll be using LGA2011.

I love a channel called My PlayHouse, he's a Danish youtuber, he's recently been messing with a similar server. I wanna try some of the massive SMT'd RISC servers, like the SPARC T4 before moving onto LGA 2011, There are a couple things I do somewhat recently that would benefit from RISC but they're insanely expensive and 250 watts for a CPU is pretty high lol. 

Yours faithfully

I use 1366 servers

That's a lot of servers, kappa.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

Actually, I have always though about integrating quick disconnect fittings into PCI brackets, since servers always have a bunch of those are the back, I'm sure with some.... Wait you probably don't have CNC mills, 3D printers and welding equipment, so yeah, ghetto it is I assume?

That's going to be a cross that bridge when I get to it problem lol. I do have access to all those though, I work at a university plus have an engineering friend. I think I could 3D print what ever I need in metal if I want, I'm sure we have one of those 3D printers now.

That's going to be a cross that bridge when I get to it problem lol. I do have access to all those though, I work at a university plus have an engineering friend. I think I could 3D print what ever I need in metal if I want, I'm sure we have one of those 3D printers now.

Metal 3D printing fittings that need to be water tight with O ring seals it out of the question, you'd need a machined surface for proper sealing, I meant the support components, do you have the cable management arms behind the servers, that would make tubing runs a lot easier.

Yours faithfully