Windows 10 has reached Adware status

patrick3027

Seems like some people are now getting OneDrive ads in the file explorer. It is unclear from the current reports online if this is limited to preview builds or not, or if only certain regions are getting the ads. My only source for this news is two reddit screenshots and a thread on 4chan.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/5xec80/is_nothing_sacred_advertisement_for_onedrive_in/

http://boards.4chan.org/g/thread/59233293

The ads can be disabled by going into File Explorer Options > View > Uncheck "Show sync provider notifications".

This is completely unacceptable IMO, Windows 10 isn't free anymore and the current amount of ads in paid software is simply appaling.

EDIT : Apparently this isn't new, there are reports of ads showing up in the file Explorer since mid January. 

https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/1956146-onedrive-ad-in-explorer

https://www.tenforums.com/general-support/78621-how-disable-onedrive-advertisement-explorer.html

EDIT2: Actual news website covering the issue.

https://www.extremetech.com/computing/245553-microsoft-now-puts-ads-windows-file-explorer

Why is SpongeBob the main character when Patrick is the star?

3 minutes ago, patrick3027 said:

The ads can be disabled by going into File Explorer Options > View > Uncheck "Show sync provider notifications".

"Sync provider notifications" :D That is almost cute :P 

2TB 'weeb drive' anyone?

Just now, Wolther said:

Honestly no words really. That's pretty disgusting that this is even an idea to implement into a operating system. 

I remember Ubuntu doing shady shit like with amazon deals - they got serious flack for it and stopped

but, Canonical's image will be forever tarnished because of it

1 hour ago, patrick3027 said:

Seems like some people are now getting OneDrive ads in the file explorer. It is unclear from the current reports online if this is limited to preview builds or not, or if only certain regions are getting the ads. My only source for this news is two reddit screenshots and a thread on 4chan.

Spoiler

https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/5xec80/is_nothing_sacred_advertisement_for_onedrive_in/

http://boards.4chan.org/g/thread/59233293

This is completely unacceptable IMO, Windows 10 isn't free anymore and the current amount of ads in paid software is simply appaling.

I got them.

1 minute ago, AG1233 said:

I can see why they do these things with unactivated windows but this should not even be a option for people who have already purchased windows.

Completely unacceptable IMO

That's a great idea.

no activation code = shitload of ads.

people are forgetting though, that legit windows 10 is almost $100 just for the home version.

if a consumer pays $100 for a product, they should damn well be getting an ad-free experience.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

Has reached adware status?

It always was adware.

1 minute ago, RadiatingLight said:

That's a great idea.

no activation code = shitload of ads.

people are forgetting though, that legit windows 10 is almost $100 just for the home version.

if a consumer pays $100 for a product, they should damn well be getting an ad-free experience.

I know right. You could have got a better PC, but no, you have to pay for ads.

13 minutes ago, zMeul said:

I remember Ubuntu doing shady shit like with amazon deals - they got serious flack for it and stopped

but, Canonical's image will be forever tarnished because of it

Canonical integrated Amazon and online search into the Unity desktop in version 12.10. It could not be disabled without a series of complicated terminal commands and the Linux community was in a massive uproar about it. It wasn't until version 14.10 when you could easily disable it and as of version 16.04 it's disabled by default.

No matter who does it, it's pretty unacceptable. Let's all remember that.

4 minutes ago, Daring said:

Canonical integrated Amazon and online search into the Unity desktop in version 12.10. It could not be disabled without a series of complicated terminal commands and the Linux community was in a massive uproar about it. It wasn't until version 14.10 when you could easily disable it and as of version 16.04 it's disabled by default.

No matter who does it, it's pretty unacceptable. Let's all remember that.

I will not forget how they murdered the homepage of Firefox. I'm angry about that.

What happens if you click "not now"?  How long does it go away for?  Until you open Explorer again?  An hour?  A day?  A year?  Until the next Windows update?  Forever?  I think we need that answered.

Furthermore, what happens if you uninstall OneDrive, or just don't set it to auto-start?

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

What happens if you click "not now"?  How long does it go away for?  Until you open Explorer again?  An hour?  A day?  A year?  Until the next Windows update?  Forever?  I think we need that answered.

A minute /s

2 minutes ago, Marioguy0 said:

This isn't the worst thing Microsoft has done, but it is another log on the fire.  I'm predicting a fully fledged bonfire by 2020.

this is the third witch burning tbh.

Just now, deXxterlab97 said:

A minute /s

Seriously, I think these are important questions.  Given how much effort most people put into figuring out how things actually work and how quick they are to anger, I wouldn't be at all surprised if further investigation revealed that this doesn't happen if you don't open the OneDrive app xD 

And, for the sake of argument, let's assume that is how it works for a moment:  in that case, this isn't Windows adware, it's OneDrive.  It's free OneDrive letting you know you can get more space if you pay, since, by letting it run, you're clearly interested in the service and want to use it.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Just now, zMeul said:

I have OneDrive unistalled - it doesn't show up

Well isn't that interesting.  Wouldn't it be hilarious if I was right and everyone was - as usual - freaking out over nothing before actually learning the facts?

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

Well isn't that interesting.  Wouldn't it be hilarious if I was right and everyone was - as usual - freaking out over nothing before actually learning the facts?

well, when OneDrive is uninstalled, it's section is no longer visible inside Windows Explorer

but ... I also run behind two firewalls - because fuck MicroSoft!

Now it's both Spyware and Adware... Wonder what's next...

I need to figure out getting windows 8.1 working fully on my laptop... I want off windows 10.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

1 minute ago, zMeul said:

well, when OneDrive is uninstalled, it's section is no longer visible inside Windows Explorer

but ... I also run behind two firewalls - because fuck MicroSoft!

I thought you can disable them not uninstall them

2 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

Looks pretty easy to remove to me.  I would assume anyone not interested in it would have done so already.

Capture.PNG

3 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

I did it 1st thing after I installed W10, it's (was) uninstallable - did it with CCleaner if I recall

One Drive is an app that integrates into shit