Windows 10 has reached Adware status

patrick3027
10 hours ago, vojta.pokorny said:

WHO THE F/%K still has a DVD drive?!

I do.  Never been able to insert my CDs directly into a USB port, so I need a DVD drive ro rip them.  Also DVDs (or in my case Blu-Ray discs) are still convenient for long-term (as in "a decade or longer") storage.

On-topic : none of this surprises me anymore.  MS has completely lost the plot ever since Nadella took over. 

On 4/3/2017 at 10:07 PM, Ryan_Vickers said:

What happens if you click "not now"?  How long does it go away for?  Until you open Explorer again?  An hour?  A day?  A year?  Until the next Windows update?  Forever?  I think we need that answered.

Furthermore, what happens if you uninstall OneDrive, or just don't set it to auto-start?

Can one even uninstall OneDrive from Windows 10? I thought it was part of the OS itself. 

Still pretty shady and unacceptable. Microsoft is really pushing it.... One would think they learned a lesson with the whole privacy fiasco :/

~ Specs bellow ~

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit [UEFI]
CPU: Intel i7-5820k Haswell-E @ 4.5-4.7Ghz (1.366-1.431V) | CPU COOLER: Corsair H110 280mm AIO w/ 2x Noctua NF-A14 IPPC-2000 IP67 | RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 32Gb (8x4Gb) DDR4 @ 2666mhz CL15 | MOBO: MSI X99S Gaming 7 ATX | GPU: MSI GTX 1080 Gaming (flashed "X") @ 2138-2151Mhz (locked 1.093V) | PSU: Corsair HX850i 850W 80+ Platinum | SSD's: Samsung Pro 950 256Gb & Samsung Evo 850 500Gb | HDD: WD Black Series 6Tb + 3Tb | AUDIO: Realtek ALC1150 HD Audio | CASE: NZXT Phantom 530 | MONITOR: LG 34UC79G 34" 2560x1080p @144hz & BenQ XL2411Z 24" 1080p @144hz | SPEAKERS: Logitech Z-5450 Digital 5.1 Speaker System | HEADSET: Sennheiser GSP 350 | KEYBOARD: Corsair Strafe MX Cherry Red | MOUSE: Razer Deathadder Chroma | UPS: PowerWalker VI 2000 LCD

Mac Pro 2,1 (flashed) OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan 64-bit (NAS, Plex, HTTP Server, Game Servers) [R.I.P]
CPUs: 2x Intel Xeon X5365 @ 3.3Ghz (FSB OC) | RAM: OWC 16Gb (8x2Gb) ECC-FB DDR2 @ 1333mhz | GPU: AMD HD5870 (flashed) | HDDs: WD Black Series 3Tb, 2x WD Black Series 1Tb, WD Blue 2Tb | UPS: Fortron EP1000

Just now, SaladFingers said:

Can one even uninstall OneDrive from Windows 10? I thought it was part of the OS itself. 

Still pretty shady and unacceptable. Microsoft is really pushing it.... One would think they learned a lesson with the whole privacy fiasco :/

You must have missed the whole thread :P  

I can uninstall it, and others can too, but seemingly not everyone.  That said, simply not running it should be sufficient for this ad to not appear.

But, sadly, it would appear that's not how it works.  The ones who jumped right to hate with no info turned out to be justified in this case, as reports from other people indicate the ad is served indiscriminately, since even those who pay for the service they're advertising receive it.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

same thing when i installed logitech gaming software to program the £150 keyboard i had just bought from them, only to have even more expensive hardware thrust in my face throughout the setup process, rather irked

Home PC:

CPU: i7 4790s ~ Motherboard: Asus B85M-E ~ RAM: 32GB Ballistix Sport DDR3 1666 ~ GPU: Sapphire R9 390 Nitro ~ Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-03 ~ Storage: Kingston Predator 240GB   PCIE M.2 Boot, 2TB HDD, 3x 480GB SATA SSD's in RAID 0 ~ PSU:    Corsair CX600
Display(s): Asus PB287Q , Generic Samsung 1080p 22" ~ Cooling: Arctic T3 Air Cooler, All case fans replaced with Noctua NF-B9 Redux's ~ Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion ~ Mouse: Cheap Microsoft Wired (i like it) ~ Sound: Radial Pro USB DAC into 250w Powered Speakers ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

Work PC:

CPU: Intel Xeon E3 1275 v3 ~ Motherboard: Asrock E3C226D2I ~ RAM: 16GB DDR3 ~ GPU: GTX 460 ~ Case: Silverstone SG05 ~ Storage: 512GB SATA SSD ~ Displays: 3x1080p 24" mix and matched Dell monitors plus a 10" 1080p lilliput monitor above ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

I can uninstall it, and others can too, but seemingly not everyone.  That said, simply not running it should be sufficient for this ad to not appear.

But, sadly, it would appear that's not how it works.  The ones who jumped right to hate with no info turned out to be justified in this case, as reports from other people indicate the ad is served indiscriminately, since even those who pay for the service they're advertising receive it.

I'll be honest, I read the first page and then skimmed through the rest :D Sorry.

I see, I never thought about it before, it just made sense to me that it would be "baked" in the OS and hard to get rid of without some tweaking.

And yes, removing it should get rid of the ads too, makes total sense. I don't know what they're thinking. I got this ad yesterda for the first time, and I had to sip some coffee to make sure I'm not dreaming. My file explorer looking like a Skype window! Ughhh.. Even those who pay huh? So I guess they didn't even go through the effort of adding some "boolean" check in place. Ridicculous.

~ Specs bellow ~

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit [UEFI]
CPU: Intel i7-5820k Haswell-E @ 4.5-4.7Ghz (1.366-1.431V) | CPU COOLER: Corsair H110 280mm AIO w/ 2x Noctua NF-A14 IPPC-2000 IP67 | RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 32Gb (8x4Gb) DDR4 @ 2666mhz CL15 | MOBO: MSI X99S Gaming 7 ATX | GPU: MSI GTX 1080 Gaming (flashed "X") @ 2138-2151Mhz (locked 1.093V) | PSU: Corsair HX850i 850W 80+ Platinum | SSD's: Samsung Pro 950 256Gb & Samsung Evo 850 500Gb | HDD: WD Black Series 6Tb + 3Tb | AUDIO: Realtek ALC1150 HD Audio | CASE: NZXT Phantom 530 | MONITOR: LG 34UC79G 34" 2560x1080p @144hz & BenQ XL2411Z 24" 1080p @144hz | SPEAKERS: Logitech Z-5450 Digital 5.1 Speaker System | HEADSET: Sennheiser GSP 350 | KEYBOARD: Corsair Strafe MX Cherry Red | MOUSE: Razer Deathadder Chroma | UPS: PowerWalker VI 2000 LCD

Mac Pro 2,1 (flashed) OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan 64-bit (NAS, Plex, HTTP Server, Game Servers) [R.I.P]
CPUs: 2x Intel Xeon X5365 @ 3.3Ghz (FSB OC) | RAM: OWC 16Gb (8x2Gb) ECC-FB DDR2 @ 1333mhz | GPU: AMD HD5870 (flashed) | HDDs: WD Black Series 3Tb, 2x WD Black Series 1Tb, WD Blue 2Tb | UPS: Fortron EP1000

56 minutes ago, Delicieuxz said:

Here's a great analysis showcasing that Windows 10 is definitively malware.

That opening block of text and a few of the lines in that page read like the ravings of a madman

However, in practice nonfree software is often malware

Really? :dry:

That said, that's a long list of things that are rather concerning.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Screen Shot 2017-03-07 at 16.24.20.png

tried on a VM, after uninstalling OneDrive, no MS account, Pro license 

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

9 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I got the advertisement :(.

I complained to MS and nobody responded.........

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

13 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

I got the advertisement :(.

I complained to MS and nobody responded.........

I can't help but find the irony a little amusing, what with you being their biggest fan and all :P 

I can't help but find the irony a little amusing, what with you being their biggest fan and all :P 

serves him right

Just now, zMeul said:

serves him right

ಠ_ಠ no

ಠ_ಠ no

no?!

hell yes! if he can't understand out of goodwill, he'll understand the hard way ;)

Just now, zMeul said:

no?!

hell yes! if he can't understand out of goodwill, he'll understand the hard way ;)

well that's not very nice...

This thread still going on?

Here, uncheck this option:

Folder Options.png

And here is Microsoft talking about back in August 11, 2016:

Improving Product Education: As part of an effort to explore new ways of educating our customers on features in Windows 10 – we are testing out new notifications within File Explorer. They’re designed to help customers by providing quick, easy information about things they can do or new features they can try to have a better experience with Windows 10. If you want to opt out of these notifications, you can do so by unchecking ‘Show sync provider notifications’ from the Options menu in the File Explorer View tab.

snip_20160808140716-1024x735.png

Source: https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2016/08/11/announcing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-14901-for-pc/#72kLVCWKpo3quxb8.97

4 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

This thread still going on?

Here, uncheck this option:

And here is Microsoft talking about back in August 11, 2016:

Source: https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2016/08/11/announcing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-14901-for-pc/#72kLVCWKpo3quxb8.97

educating our customers

lol

It switches from "educating" to "advertising" when you start educating them about something they can buy.

"Improved product education" is a very fancy way of saying "let's shove ads down our users' throats".

And hey look, another thing I will now need to disable when I install Windows. Do I get a prize once I reach 100? Because I honestly might be there soon. In before it gets turned on after an update in the future...

Why isn't there another OS making company to rival MS? I mean Mac doesn't count, Linux is open source. What else is there?

Not sure if I am actually getting these or not to be honest.  I'm on insider slow ring on my computers, and fast ring on W10 Mobile, so I've always gotten "Hey, we changed this feature, check it out!" sort of messages.

SFF-ish:  Ryzen 5 1600X, Asrock AB350M Pro4, 16GB Corsair LPX 3200, Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro -75mV, 512gb Plextor Nvme m.2, 512gb Sandisk SATA m.2, Cryorig H7, stuffed into an Inwin 301 with rgb front panel mod.  LG27UD58.

Aging Workhorse:  Phenom II X6 1090T Black (4GHz #Yolo), 16GB Corsair XMS 1333, RX 470 Red Devil 4gb (Sold for $330 to Cryptominers), HD6850 1gb, Hilariously overkill Asus Crosshair V, 240gb Sandisk SSD Plus, 4TB's worth of mechanical drives, and a bunch of water/glycol.  Coming soon:  Bykski CPU block, whatever cheap Polaris 10 GPU I can get once miners start unloading them.

MintyFreshMedia:  Thinkserver TS130 with i3-3220, 4gb ecc ram, 120GB Toshiba/OCZ SSD booting Linux Mint XFCE, 2TB Hitachi Ultrastar.  In Progress:  3D printed drive mounts, 4 2TB ultrastars in RAID 5.

A thread complaining about something that can be complained about.

If you don't like something. Don't use it. Very simple.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

9 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

"Improved product education" is a very fancy way of saying "let's shove ads down our users' throats".

And hey look, another thing I will now need to disable when I install Windows. Do I get a prize once I reach 100? Because I honestly might be there soon. In before it gets turned on after an update in the future...

You know it will... there'll be a new product to "educate" you about after all :P 

6 minutes ago, FiveNine said:

Why isn't there another OS making company to rival MS? I mean Mac doesn't count, Linux is open source. What else is there?

We don't need more... it's clear that 3 is already too much since most companies don't make their software available for all three, or even two (ie, Windows and something else).  And that is the issue - people don't use other OSes because they don't have the programs they need, and companies don't code for other OSes because no one uses them.  It's the Windows Phone problem, just on desktop.  Has been like that forever.

4 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

A thread complaining about something that can be complained about.

If you don't like something. Don't use it. Very simple.

Don't use what?  Windows?  File Explorer?  It's kinda hard to avoid if they get pushy about it...

Lol, everyone is complaining about an ad you can disable while I can't even update windows from the original install without encountering some enormous oversight like windows breaking nvidia surround or crashing upon the use of more than 4 usb devices. I have had my install rendered un-bootable by updates 3 separate times this calendar year. I think microsoft has bigger problems than this.

10 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Legend says that one becomes a god! Or Microsoft henchman will come and beat you up.

Rumors has it, it is one of them:

best-james-bond-henchmen.jpg