why do or dont you like Apple MACBOOKS?

MorganO

DO YOU like Apple Macbook/mac/ipads etc  

126 members have voted

1. 1. DO YOU like Apple Macbook/mac/ipads etc?

• Yes
    • No

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

maybe for the same reason the person you quoted also doesnt buy non-mac ultrabooks ;)

mind you that this isnt necessarily a "mac vs similar non-mac products" thread, but rather a "why do you or dont you buy apple products"

to which for me the simple answer would be "i'm not interested in the type of product they provide"

I was saying that people will recommend an XPS and then you recommend a Macbook and they'll rant because theres better specs for the price

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

2 minutes ago, Technicolors said:

Google is trying to compete with the iPhone. hence they abandoned the Nexus name 

oh yah i forgot but jeez its expensive now :/

CPU: Intel9-9900k 5.0GHz at 1.36v  | Cooling: Custom Loop | MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG Z370 Maximus X Hero | RAM: CORSAIR 32GB DDR4-3200 VENGEANCE PRO RGB  | GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080Ti | PSU: CORSAIR RM850X + Cablemod modflex white cables | BOOT DRIVE: 250GB SSD Samsung 850 evo | STORAGE: 7.75TB | CASE: Fractal Design Define R6 BLackout | Display: SAMSUNG OLED 34 UW | Keyboard: HyperX Alloy elite RGB |  Mouse: Corsair M65 PRO RGB | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Phone: iPhone 11 Pro Max 256GB

I prefer OSX an iOS to Windows and Android. I've used high end windows laptops in the past as my main laptop (and also currently have an SP3 along with my rMBP), and I still find that the Macs last longer and that I genuinely prefer using my Mac. I'd still prefer OSX on a desktop to Windows, but not by nearly as much since I mainly use my desktop for gaming, although I would still prefer OSX. 

What I like about Macs/OSX:

• build quality (and type, I prefer aluminum unibody over XPS 15 style design)
  • trackpad is amazing
  • keyboard is good (not the absolute best compared to some laptop keyboards, but 95% of the way there)
  • magsafe
  • display
  • multitouch integration
  • general feel of the OS 
  • integration with iOS (specifically call/text/facetime syncing)
  • shares some similarities with linux making some of my cs stuff not require use of a vm.
  • battery life
  • support -- being able to just walk into an apple store if there is an issue is really nice
  • price -- yes the price is often a bit higher (although usually not as much as people think), but I've found that the Macs last significantly longer than comparable windows laptops (my first mac lasted six years and is still good today even. I just need more than a dual core/4gb of ram as I'm a bit of a heavy user. While I don't forsee myself needing to replace my 2013 rMBP for at least another 3 years if not more). However, in that period of time I've had to replace my windows laptop (with an i7-840qm and 8gb of ram) as it started to have issues. So at the end of the day, Macs are cheaper (at least for me).

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

I'm a Windows User, that's basically it for me not ever touching iMacs... I do consider Apple's hardware always very nicely done, I even have an old iPod Touch 2g which fully works by today, great stuff in durability terms.

The main issue with Apple is the "Brand Name Value" tooooo much marketing, too much elitist etc... I dislike when the price you pay for is for nothing but a name and status, reason why I don't even get close to Razor stuff either.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

5 minutes ago, Thony said:

I like the design and the idea behind them.

I hate: Price, compatibility, ports count, adapters, iOS

What is wrong with ios. Yes lack of customization but still the os looks really clean and nice

another questions

just because a laptop has  Dgpu does that make it a 'gaming' laptop?

CPU: Intel9-9900k 5.0GHz at 1.36v  | Cooling: Custom Loop | MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG Z370 Maximus X Hero | RAM: CORSAIR 32GB DDR4-3200 VENGEANCE PRO RGB  | GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080Ti | PSU: CORSAIR RM850X + Cablemod modflex white cables | BOOT DRIVE: 250GB SSD Samsung 850 evo | STORAGE: 7.75TB | CASE: Fractal Design Define R6 BLackout | Display: SAMSUNG OLED 34 UW | Keyboard: HyperX Alloy elite RGB |  Mouse: Corsair M65 PRO RGB | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Phone: iPhone 11 Pro Max 256GB

1 minute ago, Clanscorpia said:

They arent that expensive. iOS is 10x better than Android for general usability, and those ports are 10x more useful than any other port.Adapters is true tho

they are expensive, mostly because it's an expensive formfactor, dont even try to ignore the price is WAY out there...

iOS/android is so much personal preference you shouldnt even try to compare them, they both have some great features, they both have some deeply infuriating garbage.

please tell me how one type C port is 10x more useful than a netbook with 4 USB ports when i need a mouse and a usb stick?

adapters are horrible, they truly are. you lose them, they take up space, they break, they COST MONEY, etc etc...

--

i'm not trying to tell you you're wrong here, i'm just trying to show you that there's people whose opinion differs, and that your opinion is not fact.

1 minute ago, KOMTechAndGaming said:

another questions

no

another questions

no

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

7 minutes ago, Clanscorpia said:

They arent that expensive. iOS is 10x better than Android for general usability, and those ports are 10x more useful than any other port.Adapters is true tho

I dont like PC/Notebook iOS, on phone smart devices I dont mind. Apple is the most expensive brand and other brands cost so much only because Apple proved the world that people will still buy the dfevices even if the price is ridiculous....

Luke and Linus talked about Macbook Pro on the wanshow and they laughed about the pricing and options for "pro" labled device :D

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

Just now, manikyath said:

they are expensive, mostly because it's an expensive formfactor, dont even try to ignore the price is WAY out there...

iOS/android is so much personal preference you shouldnt even try to compare them, they both have some great features, they both have some deeply infuriating garbage.

please tell me how one type C port is 10x more useful than a netbook with 4 USB ports when i need a mouse and a usb stick?

adapters are horrible, they truly are. you lose them, they take up space, they break, they COST MONEY, etc etc...

--

i'm not trying to tell you you're wrong here, i'm just trying to show you that there's people whose opinion differs, and that your opinion is not fact.

i Guess usb type c is relatively new and they want to push the market towards usb type c , most phones are so why not everything, but i would like to see adapters in the box and not as an extra (1 adapter for each port etc)

Just now, manikyath said:

--

The ports are thunderbolt 3. Meaning they have signifigantly more bandwidth allowing for up to 3? or is it 6 4K displays PER PORT. 1 thin adapter that runs along the side of the laptop that stays there could theoretically give you much more functionality and more expandability

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

1 minute ago, deXxterlab97 said:

no

1 minute ago, djdwosk97 said:

no

fair dos i knew the answer just wanted to see what people say

The ports are thunderbolt 3. Meaning they have signifigantly more bandwidth allowing for up to 3? or is it 6 4K displays PER PORT. 1 thin adapter that runs along the side of the laptop that stays there could theoretically give you much more functionality and more expandability

but the pcie lane issue

2 minutes ago, Thony said:

I dont like PC/Notebook iOS, on phone smart devices I dont mind. Apple is the most expensive brand and other brands cost so much only because Apple proved the world that people will still buy the dfevices even if the price is ridiculous....

Apples. Pricing. Is. Not. That. Overpriced.

Spoiler

AXIOM

I owned a 2010 MacBook Pro a few years ago. Here's what I can remember.

PROS:

- Looks beautiful, immaculately made

- Built very well

- Excellent customer support

- Good keyboard

- Good battery life

CONS:

- Underpowered

- OSX is abysmal IMO

- Screen is meh on non-retina models

- Bad speakers

- Locked-down experience

- Overpriced

Overall: Didn't like it. Too underpowered, too expensive, OS X was (and, IMO, still is) terrible, and reduced freedom.

Then again, it has been nearly five years, so maybe things are better now.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

but the pcie lane issue

You only need 8x for internal components (GPU and SSD) so the rest can go to Thunderbolt

Spoiler

AXIOM

1 minute ago, ThinkWithPortals said:

Windows is also extremely locked down

Spoiler

AXIOM

I don't like OSX... (and the reasons mentioned in the OP)

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

4 minutes ago, Clanscorpia said:

Windows is also extremely locked down

It is now, but not quite to the same extent. Windows 10 seems to have gone backwards in that regard. Which is why I'm still on 8.1 ;)

By the way, keep in mind that my opinions on Macs are based on my use of one as a daily driver several years ago. It could well be different now.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

20 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

i dislike how locked down OSX feels and is, i dislike that they are insanly shitty price/preformance and i dislike that they arent as easy to upgrade

well, OSX/macOS isn't that locked down as you would think, for example it allows for kernel excess and the apple's own code language(swift) is open source for a while now, it are things that are useful for the real programmers, but for simple programming(site or game dev) it's not really useful, although it's something windows(being the general run of the mill OS) could benefit from in certain aspects, but as always everyone has it's own flavor.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

Name me an ultrabook with better upgradability. And if you are looking for that why arent you talking crap about the XPS and Zenbook series

Because people here are stupid and forget the thing they recommended 1 post before

sure ultrabooks have shitty upgradability too, but take for example the Asus ROG Strix GL502VS-FY081T, its $1000 less the the MBP is here, has a GTX 1070, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD(PCIe or SATA, where i found the price didnt specify) and a I7 6700HQ compared to the(AFAIK) maxed out MBP with 16GB RAM(soldred on), 512GB SSD(soldred on) and no D-GPU, 

the ASUS laptop has a 1080p screen compared to the MBPs 2880x1800 but the ASUS one has g-sync

the ASUS has worse looks, not to me but to im guessing the most

the ASUS has a 5% worse CPU but the MBP has a radeon pro 455(the one comparason i found told me the radeon 455 was about 1/10 the preformance of the GTX 1070)

the ASUS has upgradable storage and RAM, MBP does not

the ASUS is about 1.5cm thicker, which is pretty segnificant

if you want a sleek machine that works pretty good and that connects to everything else Apple then sure the MBP isnt bad but to ME its not worth another $1000 over something like this ASUS laptop, the extra thicknes dosent concern me much and i as i said, really dislike OSX because it feels and is pretty locked down compared to windows or Linux, the ASUS is about the same size exept for thickness but other then that i think its the better product

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Like about the Macbook Pro: Looks

Dislike: Price, the OS

Which is why, on this Macbook Pro 13.3 inch late 2015 model, I'm installing windows and making it my main laptop to replace my older one xD

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

1 minute ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

They are meant for different things though

Spoiler

AXIOM