why do or dont you like Apple MACBOOKS?

MorganO

DO YOU like Apple Macbook/mac/ipads etc  

126 members have voted

1. 1. DO YOU like Apple Macbook/mac/ipads etc?

• Yes
    • No

34 minutes ago, Clanscorpia said:

Ive used Macbooks never owned one. Just stating the facts

Those are gaming laptops though its like comparing an i7 and a Xeon they are for different uses. And the no black is a tick off for me as well. If you compare to other ultrabooks they are not that over priced. Touchscreens are near useless on a laptop that doesnt have a 360 hinge (taken from friends who own touchscreen laptops) but if you do have a hinge its amazing. And the software is a personal choice imo

Have you even seen the Apple 4K rendering vs windows videos? On how optimized programming for OS X is? For stuff like games I completely agree, but for the tasks the macbook is made for it does perform better.

Thats not an ultrabook. And as I said in the programs its meant to use it performs better.

The adapter price is ridiculous, and I agree that the adapters are overpriced. And now that you point it out you are right, on that front, even 2 Thunderbolt 3 ports would have been a lot

8.1 was my favourite recent version of Windows I agree

so it isnt better preforming? OSX will do better if you compare the OSX exclusive software, sure but thats not a fair comparason, what if you dont want to use FCP for all your video work and you want to use something else? then you get the windows laptop with way better specs for the same price

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

31 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

As of now, all I need in a mobile device is battery life and low power x86 compatibility. A device cheap enough that I could care less if it gets stolen when I'm out and about. A beater, if you will.

For myself, a MacBook is too expensive to consider for a secondary or third computer. However, a MacBook isn't powerful enough, nor expandable enough to be my main computer either. If I could get Macbooks at beater (sub $250) prices, then I'd already have a couple though. 

Ah.  So you mean that for mobile use a Mac would work for your needs but isn't something you'd use unless you could get it for super cheap to make up for the fact that it wouldn't be suitable to be your only computer?

Also that for some uses (like some gaming I assume?) you'd need something more powerful than any Apple computer can offer?  (Or at least without murdering your bank account.)

18 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Just realized I could use any card in the reader... Here you go. This is what it looks like without and with a card inserted.

Reveal hidden contents

2016-12-03-20.34.jpg

No it's just a regular SIM slot. Any SIM card that would work in an unlocked phone will work.

Ohhh.  That's cool.  (The card reader.)  Thank you.

So phones, laptops, tablets all use the same type of SIM card?

27 minutes ago, Clanscorpia said:

I do agree the 2015 models are better. And yes it is relevant because it shows the mac has better optimization

No, that's not how it works. Same software + better performance = optimization. Different software = invalid comparison.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

6 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Ah.  So you mean that for mobile use a Mac would work for your needs but isn't something you'd use unless you could get it for super cheap to make up for the fact that it wouldn't be suitable to be your only computer?

Also that for some uses (like some gaming I assume?) you'd need something more powerful than any Apple computer can offer?  (Or at least without murdering your bank account.)

Exactly correct. It isn't as though I don't like them. I do consider them to be very well balanced mobile machines. As of right now at current price points, it's simply I wouldn't buy one, and my mobile use cases don't justify more than an Atom anyway. 

Edit: also applies to Windows laptops as well. Not just Apple. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

2 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

So phones, laptops, tablets all use the same type of SIM card?

Yep

(if you count mini SIM, micro SIM and nano SIM as the same type)

5 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Yep

(if you count mini SIM, micro SIM and nano SIM as the same type)

I guess I would consider those different types but similar in cases where the SIM cards are not tied to a single device.  

5 hours ago, KOMTechAndGaming said:

ok things to note before hand

-obviously they are very expensive

-price to performance is bad

-THEY ARE NOT MARKETED TOWARDS GAMERS 

I don't like the MacBooks or iMacs, or Mac Pros because of the above plus software design has changed to the point where you can do the exact same things you can do on the aforementioned machines on Windows computers with the same level of quality and usability (especially Adobe Creative (any version including Cloud) software). 

It now comes down to these things expected from the person: familiarity with preferred OS (Windows 10 or macOS (circa 2016)), fluency of required software a company uses, and most importantly, creativity.

Sure you have Final Cut Pro and Logic Pro X and Garage Band, but what if someone wants use Adobe Premiere or Reason, or Pro Tools instead? Windows can run those aforementioned programs just as efficiently.

That is coming from a creative person's perspective, not a gamer's perspective.

Edited by JurunceNK

RIGZ

Spoiler

Starlight (Current): AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-core CPU | EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Black Edition | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra | Full Custom Loop | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 1TB + 2TB M.2 NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSDs, 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD, 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | EVGA NU Audio | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i | Corsair ML120 2-pack 5x + ML140 2-pack

The Storm (Retired): Intel Core i7-5930K | Asus ROG STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 Ti | Asus ROG RAMPAGE V EDITION 10 | EKWB EK-KIT P360 with Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 Multiport 480 | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD + 3TB 5400 RPM NAS HDD + 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i + Black/Blue CableMod cables | Corsair ML120 2-pack 2x + NB-BlackSilentPro PL-2 x3

STRONK COOLZ 9000

Spoiler

EK-Quantum Momentum X570 Aorus Master monoblock | EK-FC RTX 2080 + Ti Classic RGB Waterblock and Backplate | EK-XRES 140 D5 PWM Pump/Res Combo | 2x Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 480 MP and 1x SR2 240 MP | 10X Corsair ML120 PWM fans | A mixture of EK-KIT fittings and EK-Torque STC fittings and adapters | Mayhems 10/13mm clear tubing | Mayhems X1 Eco UV Blue coolant | Bitspower G1/4 Temperature Probe Fitting

DESK TOIS

Spoiler

Glorious Modular Mechanical Keyboard | Glorious Model D Featherweight Mouse | 2x BenQ PD3200Q 32" 1440p IPS displays + BenQ BL3200PT 32" 1440p VA display | Mackie ProFX10v3 USB Mixer + Marantz MPM-1000 Mic | Sennheiser HD 598 SE Headphones | 2x ADAM Audio T5V 5" Powered Studio Monitors + ADAM Audio T10S Powered Studio Subwoofer | Logitech G920 Driving Force Steering Wheel and Pedal Kit + Driving Force Shifter | Logitech C922x 720p 60FPS Webcam | Xbox One Wireless Controller

QUOTES

Spoiler

"So because they didn't give you the results you want, they're biased? You realize that makes you biased, right?" - @App4that

"Brand loyalty/fanboyism is stupid." - Unknown person on these forums

"Assuming kills" - @Moondrelor

"That's not to say that Nvidia is always better, or that AMD isn't worth owning. But the fact remains that this forum is AMD biased." - @App4that

"I'd imagine there's exceptions to this trend - but just going on mine and my acquaintances' purchase history, we've found that budget cards often require you to turn off certain features to get slick performance, even though those technologies are previous gen and should be having a negligible impact" - ace42

"2K" is not 2560 x 1440 

For those comparing software, there is another thing to point out. Most of Apple's computers have Quicksync, so it makes sense for Apple's Final Cut software to make use of it. Adobe targets professionals primarily on the Windows platform. Last I checked, most workstations were running on the x99 platform which lacks aforementioned Quicksync (as these chips do not have the required iGPU). There is no reason for Adobe to use Quicksync to speed up video rendering. 

For anything less than a professional in video production, a MacBook or iMac would be a suitable machine. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

3 hours ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Does your macbook pro have a dvd drive or is yours one of the newer models where Apple forgot some of us still use these things called "discs"?  ?

It doesn't have a DVD drive but I don't really care, I don't use disks and it makes the device lighter.

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

1 minute ago, ShadowTechXTS said:

It doesn't have a DVD drive but I don't really care, I don't use disks and it makes the device lighter.

but I like blu ray because... blue.. ray...

Previous MacBook Pros had some 'raison detre' as content creation mobile computers due to the well optimised software performance.

The latest ones break the value agreement with the user!

There is NO upgrade path as both memory and SSD are soldered to the motherboard.

The dedicated function keys have been replaced by a gimick touch bar instead of supplying a touch screen.

The price has been hiked , especially outside of the USA.

The must haves of Magsafe charging and SD Card interface have been removed.

The board and processor are not the latest available.

Fail!

I love their OSs, the iOS and OS X. The best most optimized OS ever, I also love their design(though not creative). I don't care about the price until I get to the Macbooks (Jesus Christ I wont buy those I'll stick to my old one thanks)

6 hours ago, deXxterlab97 said:

I like it. Been using iPad and iPhone for very long time (parents money don't ask) but if it was my own money I wouldn't get it. 

Parents money = easy come easy go.

I like them a lot, since I've never had any problems with the ones ive owned. In fact, I have a 2008 MacBook that is still alive and kicking, even after being dropped down a couple of flights of stairs. They look pretty, have tons of battery life and the OS is VERY solid. 

ZamoRIG 2.0:

Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 1700 @ 3.9GHz

Cooling: DeepCool Captain 240 RGB + 2x Corsair ML120 fans

Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming x2 

Motherboard: Asrock X370 Gaming K4 

RAM: 2x8GB DDR4 G Skill Ripjaws V Grey @ 2800MHz 

SSDs: 2xPatriot Ignite M.2 240GB

HDD: WD Black 1TB + WD Green 2TB

PSU: Corsair RM750

Case: Corsair Carbide 400C

ZamoRIG “Portable”:

Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 @ 4GHz

Cooling: Corsair H80i 

Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming 

Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350N Gaming WiFi

RAM: 1x16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengance  @ 2400MHz 

SSD: Patriot Ignite M.2 240GB 

HDD: 2TB 2.5” Seagate HDD 

PSU: Corsair TX650M 

Case: Siverstone SG13

I have a custom pc and love it for gaming and rendering, and overall building and upgrading which is a hobby in itself, but my main machine is a retina macbook pro, and i love it for browsing, photoshop, streaming, I use airplay to watch stuff on my laptop on my tv - its no nonsense, always there on the ready and I move it room to room at home.

I have a motorola android phone because friends convinced me I needed to get out of the apple ecosystem, and I really regret it, but it was the fact that I went for a $200 phone as opposed to an android equivalent to an iphone - not the fact that it is android. I suspect the people who convinced me to buy a cheap phone never owned a high end phone, and felt it wasn't needed and don't realise what they're missing. "You cant use an SD card with an iPhone" Yeah, well I can't use an SD card with my piece of shit phone either. The salesman convinced me to buy one with the phone, he didn't even know the specs of the phone.

I will either be purchasing an iphone or a high end android - just still don't know where I stand on that one.

1 hour ago, ShadowTechXTS said:

It's not going to make it that much lighter.  A skinny dvd drive would weigh almost nothing.  

1 hour ago, deXxterlab97 said:

but I like blu ray because... blue.. ray...

I love all my blue Blu-Ray cases.  ?

I like apple products, they are well 'designed' and appeal to general users. But by no means would I purchase an IMac.

6 hours ago, manikyath said:

yes, thats a smack at the you need an adapter to plug your iPhone in your macbook

That's all wireless. I've rarely plugged my iPad or iPhone into my Mac or PC when syncing due to wireless being more convenient.

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

Mmmmmmm....mac os, IMO the better OS versus windows :P 

7 hours ago, Thony said:

compatibility

Go be mad at devs for not supporting Unix/Linux/Mac OS, from my personal testing, almost all Linux applications worked on Mac OS so...

TBH, if Apple didn't gimp the macbook pro's batteries then they would have been considerably more competitive as my new laptop but they did where their battery life is kinda not good enough :/ (need a laptop to run at 10 hour with wifi at somewhat bright screen setting...)

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

1 minute ago, Bensemus said:

That's all wireless. I've rarely plugged my iPad or iPhone into my Mac or PC when syncing due to wireless being more convenient.

i only charge my phone when i'm transferring files, one of the many great advantages of long battery life ;)

also, i cant be the only one that carried a HUGE battery bank to college to be the cool kid that could jumpstart people with dead iPhone batteries :P (kool kidz take note: carry a battery bank around, especially now people cant charge their phone with their macbook anymore ;))

--

i should probably note i also carried a set of power strips, extension cables, and T splitters to pull the gaming laptop folks out the preverbial ditch when their laptops run out of juice half way to lunchtime :D

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

i only charge my phone when i'm transferring files, one of the many great advantages of long battery life ;)

also, i cant be the only one that carried a HUGE battery bank to college to be the cool kid that could jumpstart people with dead iPhone batteries :P (kool kidz take note: carry a battery bank around, especially now people cant charge their phone with their macbook anymore ;))

--

i should probably note i also carried a set of power strips, extension cables, and T splitters to pull the gaming laptop folks out the preverbial ditch when their laptops run out of juice half way to lunchtime :D

I just charge my phone when sleeping. Transferring files happens much to infrequently to keep my phone charged. In my college all phones die equally. I've personally only been asked for micro b to charge android phones. We also have outlets on each table so your never more then an arms reach from power. Only when traveling have I had to top up my phone before bed. During normal days I never have to. 

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

1 minute ago, Bensemus said:

I just charge my phone when sleeping. Transferring files happens much to infrequently to keep my phone charged. In my college all phones die equally. I've personally only been asked for micro b to charge android phones. We also have outlets on each table so your never more then an arms reach from power. Only when traveling have I had to top up my phone before bed. During normal days I never have to. 

it may have had to do with the specific kind of people i encountered in college.

the kind of iPhone people there were the ones that might as well have had all their bodily functions in their iphone and have it hardwired to their hand, and would basicly shut down together with their phone.

The Macbook air at one point of time, don't seem that expansive compared to windows ultra books. Sure, they don't feature graphic cards or big amounts of ram, but they have features that $1000 laptops might not have.

-Back-lit keyboard

-Fast AC wireless

-Long battery life

Also, there are some apps and programs only available on apple devices.