why do or dont you like Apple MACBOOKS?

MorganO

DO YOU like Apple Macbook/mac/ipads etc  

126 members have voted

1. 1. DO YOU like Apple Macbook/mac/ipads etc?

• Yes
    • No

Just now, Clanscorpia said:

They are meant for different things though

the ASUS will do an equal or better job at any task that dosent requre OSX to run, same amount of threads and if the workload can use your GPU to any extent then it will destroy the macbook in preformance, may even last longer on battery because of the weaker CPU and thicker size(can not confirm that seeing as i dont have any stats on battery drain or size) 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

1 minute ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

the ASUS will do an equal or better job at any task that dosent requre OSX to run, same amount of threads and if the workload can use your GPU to any extent then it will destroy the macbook in preformance, may even last longer on battery because of the weaker CPU and thicker size(can not confirm that seeing as i dont have any stats on battery drain or size) 

Mac OSX is extremely optimized though. And the battery time is much less.

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

3 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

I prefer OSX an iOS to Windows and Android. I've used high end windows laptops in the past as my main laptop (and also currently have an SP3 along with my rMBP), and I still find that the Macs last longer and that I genuinely prefer using my Mac. I'd still prefer OSX on a desktop to Windows, but not by nearly as much since I mainly use my desktop for gaming, although I would still prefer OSX. 

What I like about Macs/OSX:

• build quality (and type, I prefer aluminum unibody over XPS 15 style design)
  • trackpad is amazing
  • keyboard is good (not the absolute best compared to some laptop keyboards, but 95% of the way there)
  • magsafe
  • display
  • multitouch integration
  • general feel of the OS 
  • integration with iOS (specifically call/text/facetime syncing)
  • shares some similarities with linux making some of my cs stuff not require use of a vm.
  • battery life
  • support -- being able to just walk into an apple store if there is an issue is really nice
  • price -- yes the price is often a bit higher (although usually not as much as people think), but I've found that the Macs last significantly longer than comparable windows laptops (my first mac lasted six years and is still good today even. I just need more than a dual core/4gb of ram as I'm a bit of a heavy user. While I don't forsee myself needing to replace my 2013 rMBP for at least another 3 years if not more). However, in that period of time I've had to replace my windows laptop (with an i7-840qm and 8gb of ram) as it started to have issues. So at the end of the day, Macs are cheaper (at least for me).

i'm gonna give you a big thumb here, you deserve it ;)

although, i'd prefer to add some things in a similar form to mostly point out why i prefer the kind of laptop i look for, regardless from brand (i'm currently hauling around a samsung laptop thats held together with hot glue :D)

- i dont *really* care about build quality if it means the guts are better for a similar price, i have a propper carrying bag for my laptop, so it'll survive.

- there's other companies that have done the trackpad really well, they're a rare find, but they *do* exist. (first reason that i'm still hauling the samsung around). you do get the guarantee that apple will nail the touchpad implementation with every new mac.

- laptop keyboards are horrible in general... as long as it types properly (looking at you, acer) i'm fine. i have questions by the keyboard choices made by most laptop manufacturers, including apple.

- i'd love magsafe on my laptop, but if putting in a new charge port 5 years down the line means saving 100 bucks, the choice is easily made for me, i'm just a cheapskate :D. round charge plugs are also amazing, and i'd honestly miss them, however strange that sounds.

- you got me with the display, i should add that the display is part of the reason for a macbook's price, and part of the reason why my samsung has a TERRIBLE 1366x768 TN panel :P

- i've always found multitouch on a touchpad a bit.. strange, maybe because i'm very much a mouse & keyboard person, even with my samsung's amazing touchpad i'd rather control it keyboard-only

- i *make* my general feeling for the OS :D (and then linux corrupts and i reinstall and start over)

- i've seen someone use the virtualization stuff on OSX, and while impressive it's honestly not worth money for me over an implementation like virtualbox that's good enough for what i'd do on a laptop

- battery life.. is a strange creature, and i'd rather have a big clunking battery sticking out the back of my laptop that can give me 12 hours of browsing or 3 hours of super brutal CPU workload than a thin laptop that can give me 12 hours of browsing and have the super brutal CPU workload take 12 hours. (i'm a quadcore i7 laptop guy :D)

- louis rossmann has quite the book about the apple store support, but louis rossmann is also something that makes a macbook a better experience there because last time i had a problem with my acer i ended up asking a brick wall because at least that didnt quit the support chat when i asked about my issue (acer...)

- the price on a macbook... is interesting.. i'm a cheapskate, i'd NEVER give that much money for that performance range of laptop, but i can defenately see why it costs that much, and why people gladly pay that, and for those who say macbooks are "senselessly overpriced" here's a short summary from someone who's using a samsung with cracked plastic holding in croocket guts on why macbooks cost a lot:

- unibody is expensive to make, that's a fact, compare with any other similarly built laptop and you'll understand this point

- the displays are AWESOME

- apple puts a lot of thought into their touchpads (acer...), having the keyboard not fall apart (dell...), having the display bezel not crack (samsung...), etc. and wether you decide its worth it or not, research and development costs money

- some of their products (for example the gold apple watch) are a status symbol as much as they are a functional device, and for everyone who has ever looked into buying a ferrari, you'll understand why a status symbol isnt cheap.

Mac OSX is extremely optimized though. And the battery time is much less.

its optemised for the programs that run only on OSX, if it can be run on a windows machine the one with better specs will win in preformance

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

2 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

its optemised for the programs that run only on OSX, if it can be run on a windows machine the one with better specs will win in preformance

Nope.

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

Nope.

ok then please show me benchmarks of a lesser speced OSX machine beating a better speced windows one

Builds:

Spoiler

24 minutes ago, Clanscorpia said:

You only need 8x for internal components (GPU and SSD) so the rest can go to Thunderbolt

eh, i thought thunderbolt uses pcie

CPU: Intel9-9900k 5.0GHz at 1.36v  | Cooling: Custom Loop | MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG Z370 Maximus X Hero | RAM: CORSAIR 32GB DDR4-3200 VENGEANCE PRO RGB  | GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080Ti | PSU: CORSAIR RM850X + Cablemod modflex white cables | BOOT DRIVE: 250GB SSD Samsung 850 evo | STORAGE: 7.75TB | CASE: Fractal Design Define R6 BLackout | Display: SAMSUNG OLED 34 UW | Keyboard: HyperX Alloy elite RGB |  Mouse: Corsair M65 PRO RGB | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Phone: iPhone 11 Pro Max 256GB

19 minutes ago, KOMTechAndGaming said:

i Guess usb type c is relatively new and they want to push the market towards usb type c , most phones are so why not everything, but i would like to see adapters in the box and not as an extra (1 adapter for each port etc)

but you dont push the market by removing everything but type C, that's how you make the ports feel horrible, rather than revolutionary.

19 minutes ago, Clanscorpia said:

The ports are thunderbolt 3. Meaning they have signifigantly more bandwidth allowing for up to 3? or is it 6 4K displays PER PORT. 1 thin adapter that runs along the side of the laptop that stays there could theoretically give you much more functionality and more expandability

but i need an adapter to plug in any device, and they dont come in the box. i'd honestly be okay with the concept if they just added 100 bucks to the macbook price and put all necessary adapters in the box, look at rossmann's rants about the adapters and realise that for some reason *ONLY* the apple branded adapters work properly, at which point i'll refer to the countless jailbreak tweaks for 3rd party video adapters for the iDevices. you need to buy the official ones anyways, why arent they in the box then?

in theory i could put two 4TB hard drives, an m.2 SSD, and a bluray burner in my acer, but there is no practical reason to do so, and i'd much rather have preferred they gave me the option to change which drive it boots from instead.

i dont want to point this at you, but i've never seen anyone defend mac products that blindly since a guy that also said that twisting speaker wires together will warp your sound badly. these devices have their faults, and we need to point them out because if we dont, the next generation will be even worse until in the end even you cant deal with those faults anymore.

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

but you dont push the market by removing everything but type C, that's how you make the ports feel horrible, rather than revolutionary.

but i need an adapter to plug in any device, and they dont come in the box. i'd honestly be okay with the concept if they just added 100 bucks to the macbook price and put all necessary adapters in the box, look at rossmann's rants about the adapters and realise that for some reason *ONLY* the apple branded adapters work properly, at which point i'll refer to the countless jailbreak tweaks for 3rd party video adapters for the iDevices. you need to buy the official ones anyways, why arent they in the box then?

in theory i could put two 4TB hard drives, an m.2 SSD, and a bluray burner in my acer, but there is no practical reason to do so, and i'd much rather have preferred they gave me the option to change which drive it boots from instead.

i dont want to point this at you, but i've never seen anyone defend mac products that blindly since a guy that also said that twisting speaker wires together will warp your sound badly. these devices have their faults, and we need to point them out because if we dont, the next generation will be even worse until in the end even you cant deal with those faults anymore.

i know its not the way to get wide spread implentation, but manufactueres then say well apple did it we must do it now or vice versa im 50/50 on usb c adoption, it could have been was 4x lighting ports lmao

CPU: Intel9-9900k 5.0GHz at 1.36v  | Cooling: Custom Loop | MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG Z370 Maximus X Hero | RAM: CORSAIR 32GB DDR4-3200 VENGEANCE PRO RGB  | GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080Ti | PSU: CORSAIR RM850X + Cablemod modflex white cables | BOOT DRIVE: 250GB SSD Samsung 850 evo | STORAGE: 7.75TB | CASE: Fractal Design Define R6 BLackout | Display: SAMSUNG OLED 34 UW | Keyboard: HyperX Alloy elite RGB |  Mouse: Corsair M65 PRO RGB | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Phone: iPhone 11 Pro Max 256GB

1 minute ago, KOMTechAndGaming said:

i know its not the way to get wide spread implentation, but manufactueres then say well apple did it we must do it now or vice versa im 50/50 on usb c adoption, it could have been was 4x lighting ports lmao

i should reiterate this:

i'd be okay if they included all the adapters in the box

HP i think also made a laptop with only type c, but at least they had the adapters included, so you wouldnt need to walk to the store to buy an adapter to plug your HP printer in your HP laptop. (yes, thats a smack at the you need an adapter to plug your iPhone in your macbook)

They are too expensive, they implement some design choices that I consider very poor, they lock you into the ecosystem and I don't like Apple's attitude towards a lot of things.

What more is there to say?

32 minutes ago, Clanscorpia said:

Same with every ultrabook. Except batteru

Lenovo begs to differ.

lenovo-thinkpad-x260-nw-g01.jpg

36 minutes ago, Clanscorpia said:

it destroys all other ultrabooks in intensive tasks

I don't see any data to back that up.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

i should reiterate this:

i'd be okay if they included all the adapters in the box

HP i think also made a laptop with only type c, but at least they had the adapters included, so you wouldnt need to walk to the store to buy an adapter to plug your HP printer in your HP laptop. (yes, thats a smack at the you need an adapter to plug your iPhone in your macbook)

so lemme get it right , youd be ok with all type C aslong as it came with all the adapters youd need without having to buy extras ones?

I'd rather use Linux than an apple os, you really can't do much in terms of customization of it minus visuals frankly I feel the same about windows 10, and of course the three points you made about price and gaming all apply to me hence their products serve no purpose to me.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

3 minutes ago, Sauron said:

snip

That is an ultra book? I thought ultra books were suppose to be called such due to thinness (not that I think thinness > battery because it isn't)

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

3 minutes ago, KOMTechAndGaming said:

so lemme get it right , youd be ok with all type C aslong as it came with all the adapters youd need without having to buy extras ones?

i'd be okay with only having type c *in the device* when the box includes the adapters i'd need to plug in my usual stuff.

and preferably also have those not be huge boxes, especially if its ones i *will* need on the go.

i'd also be much more fine with it if apple used their magsave goodness to design a docking station with the appropriate I/O, they'd have WAY MORE offices on mac like tomorrow if they had a sensible docking system.

this thingy from HP would be a good example of what i'd want, except that apple kinda... only has one port, so you'd already have a spagehtti of adapters for just a mouse and usb stick:

P7Z56AA-_1_1750x1285.jpg

Just now, manikyath said:

i'd be okay with only having type c *in the device* when the box includes the adapters i'd need to plug in my usual stuff.

and preferably also have those not be huge boxes, especially if its ones i *will* need on the go.

i'd also be much more fine with it if apple used their magsave goodness to design a docking station with the appropriate I/O, they'd have WAY MORE offices on mac like tomorrow if they had a sensible docking system.

this thingy from HP would be a good example of what i'd want, except that apple kinda... only has one port, so you'd already have a spagehtti of adapters for just a mouse and usb stick:

P7Z56AA-_1_1750x1285.jpg

i get what you mean now , i agree

Just now, AresKrieger said:

That is an ultra book? I thought ultra books were suppose to be called such due to thinness (not that I think thinness > battery because it isn't)

I can't recall the exact intel specification for what constitutes an "Ultrabooktm" but the x260 weights 1.3Kg and has a 12.5" screen. If that doesn't classify it as an ultraportable I don't know what does. Either way these are semantics when in the real world the extra thickness is completely irrelevant. There isn't a situation where it won't fit in your bag or something due to it being thicker, I know this from personal experience.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I think that some people here dont understand that with that money you dont buy a bunch of specs, you buy a lot more, tighter tolerances, large trackpad and a great screen. You cant compare an i5 acer/asus craptop to an  i5 macbook, thinkpad, elitebook or dell e series. You also cant really say an i7 gaymen laptop is better then an i5 thinkpad because muh specs, there is a lot more to a laptop then price to performance... 

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough it will be believed.

-Adolf Hitler 

I recently got to pick a work laptop and I went with the Elitebook 850 instead.

1) It has an Ethernet port. I work with networking so having to carry around an adapter all the time would be a pain in the ass.

2) It has a VGA port. You would be surprised by how many old projectors are out in businesses which doesn't have DP or HDMI, so you need to use VGA.

3) It has a card reader. Not a microSD card or anything like that, a card (like a credit card) reader. Quite a few customers use those for authentication purposes so that would have been yet another adapter to lug around.

4) LTE model built in. Pretty handy just popping in a SIM to get Internet, without having to mess around with USB sharing or WiFi hotspots.

5) I prefer Windows over OS X. There are a billion things in OS X that annoys me, and I just can't get over them no matter how hard I try.

6) The Macbook with equal specs would have been slightly over the laptop budget so I would have had to take a small salary cut that month, which I did not want.

7) It has regular USB ports, so I can use regular USB peripherals (keyboard, mice, memory sticks, serial port adapter (the only adapter I have)).

I love my late 2013 MacBook Pro, of course I bought it used so the price wasn't outrageous, plus it has real ports.

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

I recently got to pick a work laptop and I went with the Elitebook 850 instead.

1) It has an Ethernet port. I work with networking so having to carry around an adapter all the time would be a pain in the ass.

2) It has a VGA port. You would be surprised by how many old projectors are out in businesses which doesn't have DP or HDMI, so you need to use VGA.

3) It has a card reader. Not a microSD card or anything like that, a card (like a credit card) reader. Quite a few customers use those for authentication purposes so that would have been yet another adapter to lug around.

4) LTE model built in. Pretty handy just popping in a SIM to get Internet, without having to mess around with USB sharing or WiFi hotspots.

5) I prefer Windows over OS X. There are a billion things in OS X that annoys me, and I just can't get over them no matter how hard I try.

6) The Macbook with equal specs would have been slightly over the laptop budget so I would have had to take a small salary cut that month, which I did not want.

7) It has regular USB ports, so I can use regular USB peripherals (keyboard, mice, memory sticks, serial port adapter (the only adapter I have)).

Is the card reader thing for scanning worker ID cards or what exactly is it used for?

Would you be able to show a picture?  

I'm having trouble understanding what exactly you mean by card reader of this type on a laptop.  

Can you explain how using LTE would work on this laptop?  

I assume you'd either set up service like you would for a cell phone or do a pay as you go setup?

10 minutes ago, ShadowTechXTS said:

I love my late 2013 MacBook Pro, of course I bought it used so the price wasn't outrageous, plus it has real ports.

Does your macbook pro have a dvd drive or is yours one of the newer models where Apple forgot some of us still use these things called "discs"?  ?

2 hours ago, AresKrieger said:

I'd rather use Linux than an apple os, you really can't do much in terms of customization of it minus visuals frankly I feel the same about windows 10, and of course the three points you made about price and gaming all apply to me hence their products serve no purpose to me.

This would be a great point if the majority of people wished to customise their Operating system past the colour and the wallpaper.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

8 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Is the card reader thing for scanning worker ID cards or what exactly is it used for?

Different companies use them for different things. Right now I am doing work for a client that uses it instead of account names. So when you need to login to something (like their VPN), you plug the card in and it acts as your account name (you still need a password).

20 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Would you be able to show a picture?  

I can't show it, but it's basically just a credit card with a chip in it. I just remembered that they are called smart cards (SC for short) so Google that for more info.

25 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Can you explain how using LTE would work on this laptop?  

I assume you'd either set up service like you would for a cell phone or do a pay as you go setup?

It simply has a SIM card slot. Plug a SIM card in and you get Internet. You need a data plan though. Any data plan should work.