why do or dont you like Apple MACBOOKS?

MorganO

DO YOU like Apple Macbook/mac/ipads etc  

126 members have voted

1. 1. DO YOU like Apple Macbook/mac/ipads etc?

• Yes
    • No

3 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

so it isnt better preforming? OSX will do better if you compare the OSX exclusive software, sure but thats not a fair comparason, what if you dont want to use FCP for all your video work and you want to use something else? then you get the windows laptop with way better specs for the same price

3 hours ago, Sauron said:

No, that's not how it works. Same software + better performance = optimization. Different software = invalid comparison.

3 hours ago, Bleedingyamato said:

I guess I would consider those different types but similar in cases where the SIM cards are not tied to a single device.  

That is a good point. Ill reword it then. Apple has software that better performs in the tasks compared to windows machines

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

Just now, Clanscorpia said:

That is a good point. Ill reword it then. Apple has software that better performs in the tasks compared to windows machines

yep and thats what i said in one of my replies to you lol. but yes, they do and that IS a reason to get there stuff but if you dont want to use it/ need software that straight up dosent run on OSX then they arent a good option

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

1 minute ago, Clanscorpia said:

I often see this mentioned but I've never seen any evidence for it. In fact, the evidence I've seen suggests that programs often perform better on Windows.

In before a video showing QuickSync encoding being faster than pure software encoding.

1 minute ago, LAwLz said:

I often see this mentioned but I've never seen any evidence for it. In fact, the evidence I've seen suggests that programs often perform better on Windows.

In before a video showing QuickSync encoding being faster than pure software encoding.

2 pages back I linked a video

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

2 pages back I linked a video

Yeah, that's not a video showing OS X being optimized.

That's a video showing that QuickSync is faster than software encoding, which should not come as a surprise to anyone who knows the first thing about encoding. Like with all these "oh my god final cut is so fast it must be super optimized!" videos he doesn't even test image quality, or a different encoder for Premier.

Besides, that is one single task, and the claims being made here are blanket statements. Got any other examples that are not related to Final Cut (which is only that fast because of QuickSync)?

3 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Got any other examples that are not related to Final Cut (which is only that fast because of QuickSync)?

So its fast because of apple optimizations. And yes its also better for programming as it can use more APIs compared to windows or Linux

Spoiler

AXIOM

#1 is their battery life. I used to get like 13hrs on my MBA. 3 years later, I'm still getting 8hrs which is comparable to new windows laptops (real not quoted). Then you get the performance of super fast SSDs and unmatched video rendering power. They're pretty terrible for gaming but I have a custom PC for that anyway.

Back when I bought this laptop, it was the best price to performance portable laptop on the market. Now a days, the Surface and Dell XPS 13 are great alternatives.

I want to get the new MacBook Pro but right now there's an early adopter tax because the tech is just too advanced. Apple has historically dropped the price of MacBook Pros after a significant refresh and that's when I'll upgrade.

23 minutes ago, Clanscorpia said:

So its fast because of apple optimizations. And yes its also better for programming as it can use more APIs compared to windows or Linux

No, it is that fast because it uses Intel QuickSync for the encoding stage.

That's why the Macbook Pro is faster than the Mac Pro in Final Cut. If it was just Apple optimizing really well don't you think the Mac Pro would be even faster? It has much more CPU and GPU power than the Macbook Pro after all.

1) Do you have any source on OS X having more APIs than Windows and GNU/Linux?

2) Why do you think more APIs = better for programming? That's kind of like saying my 3 year old nephew's three wheeled bicycle is better than a motorcycle because it has three wheels compared to only two.

4 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

1) Do you have any source on OS X having more APIs than Windows and GNU/Linux?

2) Why do you think more APIs = better for programming? That's kind of like saying my 3 year old nephew's three wheeled bicycle is better than a motorcycle because it has three wheels compared to only two.

1) Mac OS is needed to make apps for Macs or iOS

2) No but if you are something like an app or game developer its essential to have a mac

Spoiler

AXIOM

3 minutes ago, Clanscorpia said:

1) Mac OS is needed to make apps for Macs or iOS

Yes, and you need Windows to develop Windows applications. Your point is?

Just saying that you need Mac OS for developing Mac OS and iOS apps does not prove that Mac OS has more APIs.

4 minutes ago, Clanscorpia said:

2) No but if you are something like an app or game developer its essential to have a mac

Why is it essential to have a Mac if you are an app or game developer?

What if I develop an Android or Windows mobile app? What if I am developing a game using DirectX? In neither of those scenarios do I need Mac OS. In fact, in the second scenario Mac OS would actually be a hindrance since it does not have DirectX.

i actualy quite liked the older model as it was pretty well specced out when they launched, but these new one? wow apple has screwed up. They did a great job alienating all of their actual pro uses by getting rid of those function keys. Now if a dev want to use a new mbp they have to slow down their workflow as they are missing all those macros they are used to.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

Just now, LAwLz said:

Just saying that you need Mac OS for developing Mac OS and iOS apps does not prove that Mac OS has more APIs.

Why is it essential to have a Mac if you are an app or game developer?

What if I develop an Android or Windows mobile app? What if I am developing a game using DirectX? In neither of those scenarios do I need Mac OS. In fact, in the second scenario Mac OS would actually be a hindrance since it does not have DirectX.

You dont need windows. Thats not true. And because if your making a game its likely to have a mac alternative, and almost every app on andriod or iOS in on the other platform

Spoiler

AXIOM

iv always liked the MacBook air and currently the iPads have the best tablet screens.

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

You dont need windows. Thats not true.

Yes it is true... Unless you are for example using C and is only using the standard libraries, or Java, but if you're doing that then the same can be said for developing MacOS program using Windows. If you want to use platform specific APIs then you will need to have that OS. That goes for both MacOS and Windows.

2 minutes ago, Clanscorpia said:

And because if your making a game its likely to have a mac alternative, and almost every app on andriod or iOS in on the other platform

Are you serious? I can't tell if you are trolling or live in an alternative universe, but it is one of those two. Gaming is shite on MacOS. The amount of games is pathetic compared to on Windows, and that's because the vast majority of games (especially AAA games) use Windows specific APIs such as DirectX.

As for apps, there are a ton of single-platform apps out there, and you are making the assumption that I want to develop for iOS.

How is MacOS better than Windows if I want to develop a game using DirectX? How is MacOS better than Windows if I want to develop an Android or Windows mobile app?

Remember, you made a blanket statement that MacOS was better than Windows for programming (even mentioned game development specifically), so I want some solid evidence to support that.

Feel free to backpedal and change your previous statement from "MacOS is better for programming" to "MacOS is better if you want to program for iOS or MacOS", but my response to that will be "no shit Sherlock".

9 hours ago, Clanscorpia said:

They arent that expensive. iOS is 10x better than Android for general usability, and those ports are 10x more useful than any other port.Adapters is true tho

How is iOS better? I switched to android over a year ago and they differ immensely, but Android is much more user-oriented. I can customize many more things. It's not Samsung's phone anymore, it's mine.

qυoтe мe pleaѕe!

Me at the Apple store: "So how fast is this little macbook?"

Apple employee: "Cheetah Fast. Lightning Fast. It's Really, really, fast."

22 minutes ago, bob345 said:

i actualy quite liked the older model as it was pretty well specced out when they launched, but these new one? wow apple has screwed up. They did a great job alienating all of their actual pro uses by getting rid of those function keys. Now if a dev want to use a new mbp they have to slow down their workflow as they are missing all those macros they are used to.

Things went bad when Steve died.

qυoтe мe pleaѕe!

24 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Apple is the only brand with an officially supported platform on which to run Mac OS. There are thousands of types of devices that run windows. That's the point. You can even run windows on a Mac, if you so desired..

qυoтe мe pleaѕe!

I used to be pretty irrationally against Apple years ago because of iTunes. Specifically the clunky nature of the software and the DRM around the store. For example early on the only way to get music onto an iPod was to install iTunes and the only way to play music brought on iTunes was on an iPod. Over time that changed but I held it against them for quite a while. And even if they hadn't changed it'd be less of an issue now with alternatives like Google Play Music and streaming services. (of which, IMO, Apple music is one of the best. As long as you're not on Android)

But since around 2010 or so? I just judge each product on its merits regardless of brand. And there was a period a few years ago where I would have said almost 100% Apple was the way to go. The iPhone was better than any other phone on the market, the iPad was miles ahead of any Android tablet. Even their laptops were pretty decent even if not anywhere near as good as they were when I was so very against Apple. 

Not so true currently IMO. Apple is going through a process of removing I/O from devices to an almost comical degree. Which loses me almost immediately given that I'm the sort of person who will put "has an ethernet port" as one of the main things on that list when I buy a laptop. Now they're trying to make it so maybe in the future I'll have to hunt for a phone that has a headphone jack. Probably more damning for Apple though is how much Android has improved. Which is even more damning when Apple live at the premium side of the market at a time when mid-range devices are, for most people, good enough.

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

12 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Remember, you made a blanket statement that MacOS was better than Windows for programming (even mentioned game development specifically), so I want some solid evidence to support that.

I use mac for programming. I have no issues with it. I wouldn't say its better that depends on the application.

14 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Gaming is shite on MacOS.

It just doesn't have BF1 but it has all the other titles I want to play.

29 minutes ago, Clanscorpia said:

You dont need windows.

With MS-SQL coming to linux, Unity & Vulkan this ^ is true.

1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

the evidence I've seen suggests that programs often perform better on Windows.

Windows is so much better than it use to be and the new CEO, Satya Nadella is leading the company & their products in the right direction. It's refreshing to see an engineer in charge after that last plonker.

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

Software compatibility, ease of use with other devices, device compatibility are the reasons why I dislike it. OS updates, my old iMac that my parents still use, the chrome is pretty much EOL on it. Constant adobe updates on it. Sure it's  an early 2008 iMac that's still chugging along but it's just too hard to fix the thermal throttling on it.

I don't have the tools to do it, I'd have to remove basically 90% of it to get what I need to do. Whoops, talked about iMac not macbook. But either way OS stuff would most likely be the same with a 2008/09 equivalent macbook. I could probably put W10 on a laptop at the same age.

People are just natural haters on apple.

When it comes to laptops I will not use anything else. Everything else just feels like janky crap.

Honestly the only reason i use a windows based desktop is gaming at a high level

2 minutes ago, RooR said:

People are just natural haters on apple.

When it comes to laptops I will not use anything else. Everything else just feels like janky crap.

Honestly the only reason i use a windows based desktop is gaming at a high level

Ouch, I feel sorry for you, only being able to use Acer Windows based laptops must be terrible /s

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

10 hours ago, KOMTechAndGaming said:

-obviously they are very expensive

-price to performance is bad

-THEY ARE NOT MARKETED TOWARDS GAMERS 

Pretty much this. :| 

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

9 hours ago, manikyath said:

i'm gonna give you a big thumb here, you deserve it ;)

although, i'd prefer to add some things in a similar form to mostly point out why i prefer the kind of laptop i look for, regardless from brand (i'm currently hauling around a samsung laptop thats held together with hot glue :D)

- i dont *really* care about build quality if it means the guts are better for a similar price, i have a propper carrying bag for my laptop, so it'll survive.

- there's other companies that have done the trackpad really well, they're a rare find, but they *do* exist. (first reason that i'm still hauling the samsung around). you do get the guarantee that apple will nail the touchpad implementation with every new mac.

- laptop keyboards are horrible in general... as long as it types properly (looking at you, acer) i'm fine. i have questions by the keyboard choices made by most laptop manufacturers, including apple.

- i'd love magsafe on my laptop, but if putting in a new charge port 5 years down the line means saving 100 bucks, the choice is easily made for me, i'm just a cheapskate :D. round charge plugs are also amazing, and i'd honestly miss them, however strange that sounds.

- you got me with the display, i should add that the display is part of the reason for a macbook's price, and part of the reason why my samsung has a TERRIBLE 1366x768 TN panel :P

- i've always found multitouch on a touchpad a bit.. strange, maybe because i'm very much a mouse & keyboard person, even with my samsung's amazing touchpad i'd rather control it keyboard-only

- i *make* my general feeling for the OS :D (and then linux corrupts and i reinstall and start over)

- i've seen someone use the virtualization stuff on OSX, and while impressive it's honestly not worth money for me over an implementation like virtualbox that's good enough for what i'd do on a laptop

- battery life.. is a strange creature, and i'd rather have a big clunking battery sticking out the back of my laptop that can give me 12 hours of browsing or 3 hours of super brutal CPU workload than a thin laptop that can give me 12 hours of browsing and have the super brutal CPU workload take 12 hours. (i'm a quadcore i7 laptop guy :D)

- louis rossmann has quite the book about the apple store support, but louis rossmann is also something that makes a macbook a better experience there because last time i had a problem with my acer i ended up asking a brick wall because at least that didnt quit the support chat when i asked about my issue (acer...)

- the price on a macbook... is interesting.. i'm a cheapskate, i'd NEVER give that much money for that performance range of laptop, but i can defenately see why it costs that much, and why people gladly pay that, and for those who say macbooks are "senselessly overpriced" here's a short summary from someone who's using a samsung with cracked plastic holding in croocket guts on why macbooks cost a lot:

- unibody is expensive to make, that's a fact, compare with any other similarly built laptop and you'll understand this point

- the displays are AWESOME

- apple puts a lot of thought into their touchpads (acer...), having the keyboard not fall apart (dell...), having the display bezel not crack (samsung...), etc. and wether you decide its worth it or not, research and development costs money

- some of their products (for example the gold apple watch) are a status symbol as much as they are a functional device, and for everyone who has ever looked into buying a ferrari, you'll understand why a status symbol isnt cheap.

Yeah,  laptops are definitely highly subjective. It's just a question of finding what satisfies the most boxes with the fewest drawbacks, and for me personally, that's a Mac. 

I also practically baby my laptop, but I still like having the aluminum unibody design. Plus I also dislike using something that feels like it's going to fall apart. I just got my Black Friday 3ds, and the moment I took it out of the box I was kind of annoyed at Nintendo for the fact that it feels like.....well a toy (gee... whoda guessed). But still, I like things that feel well built. 

I actually personally really like chiclet keys. Mechanical only slightly edges out chiclets for me most of the time. The new Mac keyboard, is worse than the old one imo (although not horribly, I'd get used to it pretty quickly), but it is still worse for arguably no reason. But I do really like the old Mac keyboard. 

Magsafe is just really nice and more companies should adopt it (and Apple REALLY should include magsafe usb-c with the new macs -- like Snapnator from kickstarter or Griffin's Breaksafe -- breaksafe looks a bit cumbersome though).

I don't understand how people can live with that. (No offense). Even 1080p @ 15" doesn't give me enough screen space and anything under 1080p just looks awful. (plus ew TN, again, no offense :S).

If you ever get a Mac you learn to love the trackpad. Since it doesn't feel like a cumbersome piece of shit to use (it actually feels amazing), you don't go out of your way to find ingenious ways of avoiding using it. 

I actually run all my vm's in virtual box.

I've got an i7 in my Mac. For me, I typically do mostly browsing/cs projects and such (which for me, means a vm, 30+ chrome tabs, steam, imessage, some video windows, an IDE, etc...). So with everything open and running I get about 5 hours with a brand new battery. When I close the VM/IDE I can usually get around 8 hours. I like something that's light weight but offers enough battery life that I don't really need to worry too much about where my charger is. 

So, there are two things with Apple support. If you're within warranty they don't give you trouble. If you're out of warranty, then they might try to treat you like an idiot (but honestly, they all will -- his problem with Apple support is things like the touch IC thing, not that they're not helpful at solving issues). 

I personally don't really care about the upfront costs of most things (<$5000), what matters more to me is the long term costs. So, for example, I bought a used SP3 for $500 solely for taking notes in a few classes each semester. Other than that, I don't ever use it. But when I go to sell it in 8 months or so, I expect to get $450-$500 for it. So, I may have spent $500 at first to do what $30 of notebooks and pens would have done, but at the end of the day it will cost a similar amount (while giving the benefits of online-synced notes).

Same goes for the Apple book. Would I ever spend $300 on a coffee table book? No. But lots of people will, have, and do. But people like to bitch and complain because Apple (*insert any company/one*) wipes the wrong way. Not everything is for everybody, and that's a valuable lesson that most people need drilled into their heads. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

When it comes to anything besides gaming.. I just like things that last a long time and work perfectly 99% of the time.

I don't really care how much I have to pay.

There is not a single non-apple laptop that even comes close to looking as nice and streamline as a Macbook.... not one