why do or dont you like Apple MACBOOKS?

MorganO

DO YOU like Apple Macbook/mac/ipads etc  

126 members have voted

1. 1. DO YOU like Apple Macbook/mac/ipads etc?

• Yes
    • No

Macbooks simply are bit a suitable device for myself. Nothing more, and nothing less. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

2 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Different companies use them for different things. Right now I am doing work for a client that uses it instead of account names. So when you need to login to something (like their VPN), you plug the card in and it acts as your account name (you still need a password).

I can't show it, but it's basically just a credit card with a chip in it. I just remembered that they are called smart cards (SC for short) so Google that for more info.

It simply has a SIM card slot. Plug a SIM card in and you get Internet. You need a data plan though. Any data plan should work.

I think my survey of info security class for my MLIS degree mentioned something about some companies using keycards like that for part of user authentication.  That's good your company is using that to improve security.  

Sorry.  I meant the card reader on the laptop.  I wasn't asking to see your smart card.  That wouldn't be safe to post what the card looks like in case someone wanted to make a fake card.  I'm just curious about what the reader itself looks like built into the laptop.  

I assume it needs a laptop/tablet specific SIM card though?  

For example I can't just get a laptop with LTE and use the SIM card from my iPhone correct?

2 hours ago, AresKrieger said:

I'd rather use Linux than an apple os, you really can't do much in terms of customization of it minus visuals frankly I feel the same about windows 10, and of course the three points you made about price and gaming all apply to me hence their products serve no purpose to me.

In theory Linux is a great idea: free, organizations/enthusiasts creating a wide variety of versions and continually updating things like security/other features.

But the lack of mainstream adoption and at least for gamers like myself the lack of 100% game support makes it significantly less appealing to me and others.  

I'd love not having to pay $100 or more to greedy MS to use Windows with bs things like forced updates but I don't want to miss out on games that don't work on Linux.  ?

9 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Macbooks simply are bit a suitable device for myself. Nothing more, and nothing less. 

Can you explain what you mean?  I don't understand sorry.  

personaly like the ipod/pads since they just do what i want them to do, especialy the older ipods and ipads( still got perfect working first and second gen ipod touches and ipad2) , don't need a macbook(might get an old model if the price is good though)since i got a pc and laptop already and windows will always be my prefered os since i was born into a windows household.

Honestly no hate towards apple products since they do look great, always have had great batterylife in previous generations  and do what i want them to do(not persay what they ar advertsed to do though), also they were less flawed when they originaly released compared to android or windows handheld(not wearables) devices  but that gap is no longer there.

CPU:R7 5800X    Motherboard: asrock x470 taichi ultimate   RAM: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws-V 2X16GB    GPU: Gigabyte GTX1080TI gaming oc 11g   Case: Corsair 600Q Storage: 1TB Samsung 870(boot), samsung 850evo 500GB, 2TB Corsair MX500, samsung 2TB 970 evo plus, WD 5TB black    PSU: Corsair AX860    CPU cooling: Corsair H105

3 hours ago, Clanscorpia said:

Nope.

Lol such ignorance. 

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

2 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Can you explain what you mean?  I don't understand sorry.  

As of now, all I need in a mobile device is battery life and low power x86 compatibility. A device cheap enough that I could care less if it gets stolen when I'm out and about. A beater, if you will.

For myself, a MacBook is too expensive to consider for a secondary or third computer. However, a MacBook isn't powerful enough, nor expandable enough to be my main computer either. If I could get Macbooks at beater (sub $250) prices, then I'd already have a couple though. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

3 hours ago, Clanscorpia said:

Gaming laptops are all those things as well

Gaming laptops tend to be user ugradeable, usually allowing for RAM, WIfi Cards, and SSDs/HDDs to be upgraded, and sometimes even the CPU and/or GPU.

I dislike apple macbooks because they don't come in all black (I know there was one a while ago that did, but that one's pretty old now, and space grey, that isn't dark enough for me)

They're also incredibly overpriced, as many others here have stated, and they usually can't be user upgraded as well, with some having both the SSD and RAM soldered on.

They tend to lack in ports and incredibly useful features, such as a touchscreen display, or actual USB type A ports, or SD Card readers. (Speaking towards the current generation of MBs, MBPs, and MBAs [Yes, I know, the MBA has two USB type A ports and an SDXC card reader)

And then for the software, I haven't really used OSX much if at all, though I do know that for what I do, it wouldn't work out too well. (Lots of programming in Java, VB.Net, etc.. occasional gaming, web browsing, graphic design, office use, etc..)

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

I don't mind Macbooks from the Steve Job era. It was absolutely ridiculous for Apple to price the entry level 2008 Uni-body MacBook Pro in 2016 (a product with a third generation i3, 4GB of RAM, and a 500GB HDD) for a whopping $1200. The new line up is an absolute slap in the face for everyone whether you're a fan of Apple or not. Fanboys will say, "the future is wireless and Apple is taking the charge", but they refuse to acknowledge the fact that we're not at the stage where wireless can replace every thing. Just having the ability to use Bluetooth headphones does not confirm the future of wireless is here.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

No, but primarily only the last 2 generations, as they are very poor value for what they are compared to the competition, unlike older generations (that and older generations of iPads and iPod touch actually had the OS updates stop at the last version that would run perfectly).

Give me an older Macbook/Macbook Pro/Macbook Air/iPhone 4S/iPod touch over the current ones (I never liked iMac much TBH).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

15 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Sorry.  I meant the card reader on the laptop.  I wasn't asking to see your smart card.  That wouldn't be safe to post what the card looks like in case someone wanted to make a fake card.  I'm just curious about what the reader itself looks like built into the laptop.  

Just realized I could use any card in the reader... Here you go. This is what it looks like without and with a card inserted.

Spoiler

2016-12-03-20.34.jpg

23 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

I assume it needs a laptop/tablet specific SIM card though?  

For example I can't just get a laptop with LTE and use the SIM card from my iPhone correct?

No it's just a regular SIM slot. Any SIM card that would work in an unlocked phone will work.

17 minutes ago, christianled59 said:

Lol such ignorance. 

Ive used Macbooks never owned one. Just stating the facts

14 minutes ago, TheKDub said:

Gaming laptops tend to be user ugradeable, usually allowing for RAM, WIfi Cards, and SSDs/HDDs to be upgraded, and sometimes even the CPU and/or GPU.

I dislike apple macbooks because they don't come in all black (I know there was one a while ago that did, but that one's pretty old now, and space grey, that isn't dark enough for me)

They're also incredibly overpriced, as many others here have stated, and they usually can't be user upgraded as well, with some having both the SSD and RAM soldered on.

They tend to lack in ports and incredibly useful features, such as a touchscreen display, or actual USB type A ports, or SD Card readers. (Speaking towards the current generation of MBs, MBPs, and MBAs [Yes, I know, the MBA has two USB type A ports and an SDXC card reader)

And then for the software, I haven't really used OSX much if at all, though I do know that for what I do, it wouldn't work out too well. (Lots of programming in Java, VB.Net, etc.. occasional gaming, web browsing, graphic design, office use, etc..)

Those are gaming laptops though its like comparing an i7 and a Xeon they are for different uses. And the no black is a tick off for me as well. If you compare to other ultrabooks they are not that over priced. Touchscreens are near useless on a laptop that doesnt have a 360 hinge (taken from friends who own touchscreen laptops) but if you do have a hinge its amazing. And the software is a personal choice imo

3 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

ok then please show me benchmarks of a lesser speced OSX machine beating a better speced windows one

Have you even seen the Apple 4K rendering vs windows videos? On how optimized programming for OS X is? For stuff like games I completely agree, but for the tasks the macbook is made for it does perform better.

3 hours ago, Sauron said:

They are too expensive, they implement some design choices that I consider very poor, they lock you into the ecosystem and I don't like Apple's attitude towards a lot of things.

What more is there to say?

Lenovo begs to differ.

I don't see any data to back that up.

Thats not an ultrabook. And as I said in the programs its meant to use it performs better.

3 hours ago, manikyath said:

but you dont push the market by removing everything but type C, that's how you make the ports feel horrible, rather than revolutionary.

but i need an adapter to plug in any device, and they dont come in the box. i'd honestly be okay with the concept if they just added 100 bucks to the macbook price and put all necessary adapters in the box, look at rossmann's rants about the adapters and realise that for some reason *ONLY* the apple branded adapters work properly, at which point i'll refer to the countless jailbreak tweaks for 3rd party video adapters for the iDevices. you need to buy the official ones anyways, why arent they in the box then?

in theory i could put two 4TB hard drives, an m.2 SSD, and a bluray burner in my acer, but there is no practical reason to do so, and i'd much rather have preferred they gave me the option to change which drive it boots from instead.

i dont want to point this at you, but i've never seen anyone defend mac products that blindly since a guy that also said that twisting speaker wires together will warp your sound badly. these devices have their faults, and we need to point them out because if we dont, the next generation will be even worse until in the end even you cant deal with those faults anymore.

The adapter price is ridiculous, and I agree that the adapters are overpriced. And now that you point it out you are right, on that front, even 2 Thunderbolt 3 ports would have been a lot

3 hours ago, ThinkWithPortals said:

It is now, but not quite to the same extent. Windows 10 seems to have gone backwards in that regard. Which is why I'm still on 8.1 ;)

By the way, keep in mind that my opinions on Macs are based on my use of one as a daily driver several years ago. It could well be different now.

8.1 was my favourite recent version of Windows I agree

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

4 hours ago, Clanscorpia said:

Apples. Pricing. Is. Not. That. Overpriced.

5 minutes ago, Clanscorpia said:

The adapter price is ridiculous, and I agree that the adapters are overpriced. And now that you point it out you are right, on that front, even 2 Thunderbolt 3 ports would have been a lot

You also keep on saying that anything we compare to a MacBook is for a different use, so, what is the use of a MacBook? 

A gaming laptop doesn't have to be for gaming.... It being labelled a gaming laptop in no way shape or form limits its uses

Just now, obi-fade-kenobi said:

You also keep on saying that anything we compare to a MacBook is for a different use, so, what is the use of a MacBook? 

A gaming laptop doesn't have to be for a different use than a MacBook.... It being labelled a gaming laptop in no way shape or form limits its uses

Macbooks are meant for ultraportable editting and programming with long battery life and intercommunication with other devices

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

6 minutes ago, Clanscorpia said:

Thats not an ultrabook. And as I said in the programs its meant to use it performs better.

Show me the benchmarks where it is shown that a macbook performs significantly better than a similarly priced solution.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

2 minutes ago, Clanscorpia said:

Macbooks are meant for ultraportable editting and programming with long battery life and intercommunication with other devices

Except they cut the battery life in half with this generation and only offer dual cores in the 13" model, making it inferior on both accounts compared to alternatives.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

2 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Show me the benchmarks where it is shown that a macbook performs significantly better than a similarly priced solution.

Spoiler

AXIOM

1 minute ago, Sauron said:

Except they cut the battery life in half with this generation and only offer dual cores in the 13" model, making it inferior on both accounts compared to alternatives.

I thought it was 8 hours on the MBP

Spoiler

AXIOM

Just now, Sauron said:

And inferior to the previous models as well.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

3 minutes ago, Clanscorpia said:

Oh, so a test done with different software. Irrelevant.

3 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

And inferior to the previous models as well.

Exactly, at this point if I really wanted a macbook pro I'd go for the older model

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 minute ago, Sauron said:

Oh, so a test done with different software. Irrelevant.

Exactly, at this point if I really wanted a macbook pro I'd go for the older model

I do agree the 2015 models are better. And yes it is relevant because it shows the mac has better optimization

Spoiler

AXIOM

They're killing off their best macbook which is the air.
Their focus changed when Jobs said they would stop catering to the pro market back in 2011/2012 with the release of FCP x v1.0
Every OS after mountain lion focused on adding ios functionality to the desktop
They killed off the greatest messaging client ever made till this day with ichat (still no replacement for ichat theater :()

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

8 minutes ago, Clanscorpia said:

I do agree the 2015 models are better. And yes it is relevant because it shows the mac has better optimization

In a scientific comparison, only one variable must change. The variable that you are arguing is the OS, however, the software being used is also different. Take for example Premier vs Vegas, each will have a different rendering time due to the way the software itself is programmed.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

Design-wise? I can see them having their place and I sort of understand their appeal.

The rest? Not in a billion years

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

Design and build quality are nice, but the prices are just ludicrous, especially the new MacBook "Pros". That and Apple taking away useful ports, forcing you to use dongles, and not including said dongle in the box even with the enormouse price premium just rubs me the wrong way.