why do or dont you like Apple MACBOOKS?

MorganO

DO YOU like Apple Macbook/mac/ipads etc  

126 members have voted

1. 1. DO YOU like Apple Macbook/mac/ipads etc?

• Yes
    • No

7 minutes ago, RooR said:

When it comes to anything besides gaming.. I just like things that last a long time and work perfectly 99% of the time.

I don't really care how much I have to pay.

There is not a single non-apple laptop that even comes close to looking as nice and streamline as a Macbook.... not one

It all depends on personal preference. But for me, their older laptops (excluding the plastic Macbooks) do look better than the current ones (which still don't make any sense when you look at all preceding models). The only downside is that the trade off in regards to performance was a bit too much at the time I was looking at getting one, when I only had an ancient desktop (now I don't need a laptop to do everything, hence a an Asus U38N with its IPS 1080p touchscreen, and pathetic A8 4555M).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

11 hours ago, KOMTechAndGaming said:

ok things to note before hand

-obviously they are very expensive

-price to performance is bad

-THEY ARE NOT MARKETED TOWARDS GAMERS 

lets keep it on track and civil please , im genuinely interested in seeing peoples opinions 

many thanks :)

I like Macs but I could not bring myself to buy one considering how the price to performance is awful, they are ludicrously expensive and the fact that it macOS isn't as well supported in software compared to Windows.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

15 minutes ago, RooR said:

When it comes to anything besides gaming.. I just like things that last a long time and work perfectly 99% of the time.

I don't really care how much I have to pay.

There is not a single non-apple laptop that even comes close to looking as nice and streamline as a Macbook.... not one

SurfaceBook or Surface Pro 4.

18 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

Pretty much this. :| 

To be fair, I never wanted a gaming laptop and so asking them to market to gamers is a big NO in my books.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

1 hour ago, Natsoup said:

How is iOS better? I switched to android over a year ago and they differ immensely, but Android is much more user-oriented. I can customize many more things. It's not Samsung's phone anymore, it's mine.

Its more optimized, user friendly. And customization is quite limited unless you root. And at that point you could jailbreak on iOS and get the same amount

1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

Yes it is true... Unless you are for example using C and is only using the standard libraries, or Java, but if you're doing that then the same can be said for developing MacOS program using Windows. If you want to use platform specific APIs then you will need to have that OS. That goes for both MacOS and Windows.

This part you are wrong ^ Basically every windows API can run on windows. And if you want your game on the app store for mac (where you get the audience) you need a mac.

1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

Gaming is shite on MacOS. The amount of games is pathetic compared to on Windows, and that's because the vast majority of games (especially AAA games) use Windows specific APIs such as DirectX.

As for apps, there are a ton of single-platform apps out there, and you are making the assumption that I want to develop for iOS.

How is MacOS better than Windows if I want to develop a game using DirectX? How is MacOS better than Windows if I want to develop an Android or Windows mobile app?

Remember, you made a blanket statement that MacOS was better than Windows for programming (even mentioned game development specifically), so I want some solid evidence to support that.

Feel free to backpedal and change your previous statement from "MacOS is better for programming" to "MacOS is better if you want to program for iOS or MacOS", but my response to that will be "no shit Sherlock".

The gaming thing was dumb, I agree, but Android and Windows apps can be made on Mac

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

1 minute ago, Clanscorpia said:

The gaming thing was dumb, I agree, but Android and Windows apps can be made on Mac

For Windows 10 Mobile, the answer would be "Yes it can" but that's like saying you can bring your Ford Focus to a race which also has a Nissan GTR.

It's possible but completely and utterly stupid :D.

9 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

SurfaceBook or Surface Pro 4.

To be fair, I never wanted a gaming laptop and so asking them to market to gamers is a big NO in my books.

Like i said.... not one

Just now, RooR said:

Like i said.... not one

I just listed 2 though........ They are amazing in terms of how they look.

Build quality is slightly better on the Apple side.

@LAwLz You give Windows 10 Mobile so much hate, so then why are making an argument that on Mac it's not optimal. It's not like YOU would actually do it.

9 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

For Windows 10 Mobile, the answer would be "Yes it can" but that's like saying you can bring your Ford Focus to a race which also has a Nissan GTR.

It's possible but completely and utterly stupid :D.

Still means it has more possibilities :P 

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

6 minutes ago, Clanscorpia said:

Still means it has more possibilities :P 

And my understanding is that the only Windows 10 Mobile apps you can make (using VS for Mac) are using Xamarin and not the REAL WAY of making Windows UWP apps.

Of course if you use Windows 10 then you can do stuff the REAL WAY xD.

I just like OS X, and I have to admit, pre-retina MacBook Pros, they were oh so nice!

But yeah.

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

Overall, I like Macbooks, but they really aren't for me. First off, for me, specs drive EVERYTHING. Gaming, 3D modeling and rendering, and other intensive tasks are all things I do, so good hardware is a must. I was able to get a laptop with an i7-4720HQ, 8 GB RAM, a 1080p screen, and a GTX 960M for $800. Call me when Apple does that. I could get a desktop, sure, but I really need the portability as a college student, and since in most locations, outlets are available, I have all this power available anywhere I go. A mac is just not viable for this purpose.

Secondly, I don't like OSX. This isn't a condemnation of the OS itself, but rather that I'm not familiar with it, and I just don't have the time to learn it by using it as my daily driver for long enough. It just doesn't make sense. It's a personal preference thing, in the end. 

Then there's the problem with ports in the latest Macbook Pro. Sure, it may be beneficial in the long run, but for now we're in an extremely awkward transition stage in which the system doesn't work properly.

There are certainly things I like about Macbooks, such as the screen, battery life, keyboard, trackpad, and design, but none of them are priorities for me.

Why is the God of Hyperdeath SO...DARN...CUTE!?

Also, if anyone has their mind corrupted by an anthropomorphic black latex bat, please let me know. I would like to join you.

Title barely relates to the poll...

I like them, I haven't used a Macbook for a long time, but I've had iPhones for the last 5 years. I like the smaller Ecosystem compared to Android (So there's not 1000 combinations of phones with different specs), so apps are more optimized.

Plus seeing people rage about iSheep makes me laugh.

I also like the feel of iOS allot more than Android.

Just remember: Random people on the internet ALWAYS know more than professionals, when someone's lying, AND can predict the future.

i7 9700K (5.2Ghz @1.2V); MSI Z390 Gaming Edge AC; Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB 3200 CAS 16; H100i RGB Platinum; Samsung 970 Evo 1TB; Samsung 850 Evo 500GB; WD Black 3 TB; Phanteks 350x; Corsair RM19750w.

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 4K 9750H GTX 1650 16GB Ram 256GB SSD

Spoiler

sex hahaha

1 hour ago, RooR said:

People are just natural haters on apple.

When it comes to laptops I will not use anything else. Everything else just feels like janky crap.

Honestly the only reason i use a windows based desktop is gaming at a high level

Same. Productivity and content creation on a Mac is so much better for me. The performance, the intuitiveness, and overall user experience makes it so much better. 

However, I'm not a fanboy and I realize that Macs aren't great for gaming. Which is why I built a gaming PC. It baffles me how people don't understand that most people buy a product that suits their needs, not whatever an internet forum tells them to hate on.

7 hours ago, Arri said:

Same. Productivity and content creation on a Mac is so much better for me. The performance, the intuitiveness, and overall user experience makes it so much better. 

However, I'm not a fanboy and I realize that Macs aren't great for gaming. Which is why I built a gaming PC. It baffles me how people don't understand that most people buy a product that suits their needs, not whatever an internet forum tells them to hate on.

this

CPU: Intel9-9900k 5.0GHz at 1.36v  | Cooling: Custom Loop | MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG Z370 Maximus X Hero | RAM: CORSAIR 32GB DDR4-3200 VENGEANCE PRO RGB  | GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080Ti | PSU: CORSAIR RM850X + Cablemod modflex white cables | BOOT DRIVE: 250GB SSD Samsung 850 evo | STORAGE: 7.75TB | CASE: Fractal Design Define R6 BLackout | Display: SAMSUNG OLED 34 UW | Keyboard: HyperX Alloy elite RGB |  Mouse: Corsair M65 PRO RGB | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Phone: iPhone 11 Pro Max 256GB

11 hours ago, Clanscorpia said:

That is a good point. Ill reword it then. Apple has software that better performs in the tasks compared to windows machines

Still a void comparison. If I took a picture, edited it on the mac with photoshop, then compared the export times to those of MS Paint and conclused that Microsoft "has software that better performs in the tasks compated to apple machines" you'd call bullshit.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

11 hours ago, SCHISCHKA said:

It just doesn't have BF1 but it has all the other titles I want to play.

Good for you. Too bad not everyone plays exactly the same games as you.

With MS-SQL coming to linux, Unity & Vulkan this ^ is true.

lol, yeah right.

Keep telling yourself that buddy.

Windows is so much better than it use to be and the new CEO, Satya Nadella is leading the company & their products in the right direction. It's refreshing to see an engineer in charge after that last plonker.

I think it has gotten worse. Much, much worse. But this is not the thread to discuss that.

9 hours ago, Clanscorpia said:

This part you are wrong ^ Basically every windows API can run on windows. And if you want your game on the app store for mac (where you get the audience) you need a mac.

What the hell are you talking about? Yes, every Windows API can run on Windows. Did you mean to type "every Windows API can run on OS X"? Because that is pure bullshit and just saying that proves that you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. Judging by your vague and incorrect posts my guess is that you are just parroting what you have heard someone else say.

No, "basically every Windows API" does not run on MacOS. Why do you think there are so many programs that can only run on Windows? Do you know what DirectX is? Do you know what Win32 is?

You got to be a troll, because I don't want to believe that someone on this forum can be this ignorant.

Yes, if I want my game on the app store I need a Mac. How many games do you see on the app store vs how many games you see for Windows? MacOS is pretty much completely abandoned by game developers. Next to nobody cares about making games for MacOS because neither the hardware nor the audience for it exists. Yes, some make shitty casual games for MacOS like "words with friends", but other than that the gaming scene for MacOS is as dead as Harambe.

9 hours ago, Clanscorpia said:

Nope.

You need to run Windows to have access to Windows specific APIs.

Just because you keep repeating it does not make it true.

9 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

@LAwLz You give Windows 10 Mobile so much hate, so then why are making an argument that on Mac it's not optimal. It's not like YOU would actually do it.

That's why I also included Android in my argument, and it was just an example.

About Macbooks:

What I like:

• The screen.
  • The build quality (they last forever).
  • The battery life.
  • The looks and feels.

What I dislike:

• Compatibility... I can't use most of the software I use to work with iOS (Civil Engineering related software).
  • The keyboard, man I just hate typing on macbooks keyboards.
  • Their office software (just hate using OSX Word/Excel).
  • The price.
  • Their drive to make everything thinner, man, I don't care if it is .2" larger, just give me some better specs for the money, and some ports. (DONGLES EVERYWHERE).
  • I also dislike the touchbar, I want actual buttons for "esc" and F Keys, because I use them and actually don't look at the keyboard while typing or doing stuff, if you want to use the touchbar you have to look away from the screen and that sucks.
  • Their GPUs.
  • The upgradeability is non existant or extremely expensive (just compare an SSD upgrade...).
  • How they charge a lot more for the accesories.

12 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

----

i dont have much to add to that :P

wanna note tho:

- i mentioned i'm a cheapskate, which means i just deal with the display (agreeing it's horrible here, it'd already be better if it wasnt a filth manget either xD)

- the second hand / used market here is... rather slim, it's coming along but people havent quite "socially accepted" selling and buying used stuff. along with cars macbooks may be the only thing you *may* get fair dough for.

in the end, it's to each their own indeed, and i wish the "blind apple fanboiiz" (of which i've encountered some in this thread..) would realise that as well, along with the "pc master race" toxic waste of oxygen that i slammed hard the other day :D

4 hours ago, Sauron said:

Still a void comparison. If I took a picture, edited it on the mac with photoshop, then compared the export times to those of MS Paint and conclused that Microsoft "has software that better performs in the tasks compated to apple machines" you'd call bullshit.

Final cut and premiere to the same thing photoshop and paint do not

2 hours ago, LAwLz said:

What the hell are you talking about? Yes, every Windows API can run on Windows. Did you mean to type "every Windows API can run on OS X"? Because that is pure bullshit and just saying that proves that you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. Judging by your vague and incorrect posts my guess is that you are just parroting what you have heard someone else say.

No, "basically every Windows API" does not run on MacOS. Why do you think there are so many programs that can only run on Windows? Do you know what DirectX is? Do you know what Win32 is?

You got to be a troll, because I don't want to believe that someone on this forum can be this ignorant.

MS is starting to expand into Linux software making a Visual Studio Code version for Windows and in VS 2017 adding a Linux suite into it. Thank you for pointing that out. I completely forgot about DirectX. Stupid I know. It was 11 at night. My fault. Because you pointed that out Ill backpedal a bit. Macs can get Bootcamp which works almost all the time with the exception of the new MBP. Windows machines almost always cant get a stable hackintosh. 

Spoiler

AXIOM

13 minutes ago, Clanscorpia said:

Final cut and premiere to the same thing photoshop and paint do not

No they don't, in the same way photoshop and paint don't. Unless you mean they both "edit videos", in which case both paint and photoshop "edit pictures". FCP has less features than premiere and I have not seen any evidence that shows the output quality is even comparable. The difference may be less obvious than the one between photoshop and MS paint, but it's there and it's most likely proportional to the price of the two products.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

17 minutes ago, Clanscorpia said:

Macs can get Bootcamp which works almost all the time with the exception of the new MBP. Windows machines almost always cant get a stable hackintosh. 

So your solution to "Windows does some things better" is "I can install Windows", despite claiming the mac is worth the price because of its operating system. You mention hackintoshes as if Windows machines had any sort of compatibility problem - but pretty much every software worth using (on the desktop) is already available for Windows. With bootcamp you have to reboot every time you need that program that only runs on Windows, on a Windows machine the idea of installing something else for compatibility doesn't even cross your mind.

21 minutes ago, Clanscorpia said:

MS is starting to expand into Linux software making a Visual Studio Code version for Windows and in VS 2017 adding a Linux suite into it. 

VS Code is just a fork of Atom, it's not related to VS by anything other than the name. It still doesn't provide .NET, DirectX or any other Windows specific API.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

The reasons why I would never ever buy them and dislike them are very simple.

1. Not built well enough. Yeah I just said that, deal with it.

2. Too shallow keyboard.

3. Useless ports, that need a lot of adaptors (only with this new gen).

4. hell to fix.

5. Oh you bought the cheaper model with 8gb of ram to save a bit of money, but you want 16gb now, well sucks to be you.

6. Only 16gb of ram.

7. The OS.

8. No physical right and left button.

The things I do like about them

1. Final cut pro X

2. Logic pro X

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

4 hours ago, Clanscorpia said:

MS is starting to expand into Linux software making a Visual Studio Code version for Windows and in VS 2017 adding a Linux suite into it.

Do you know the difference between an IDE/text-editor and an API?

I completely forgot about DirectX. Stupid I know. It was 11 at night. My fault.

You also seem to have forgotten about Win32 (or don't know what it is).

Macs can get Bootcamp which works almost all the time with the exception of the new MBP. Windows machines almost always cant get a stable hackintosh. 

So I should get a Mac because... It can run Windows? Thanks for the tips, but I don't see how that makes it better for programming unless I am going to develop for iOS or MacOS. And if your argument is that it is better for developers because you can develop for iOS and MacOS with it, then no shit Sherlock. That does not help developers that don't care about those platforms though. It's also pretty funny that one of your main reasons why the Macbook is good is the OS, and then under the slightest pressure you can't even say why it is good, and instead resorts to saying that it is good because you can run Windows on it.

The lack of an F key row is a really big slap in the face to developers and "hackers" as well, because a lot of programs use those keys.

8 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Do you know the difference between an IDE/text-editor and an API?

You also seem to have forgotten about Win32 (or don't know what it is).

So I should get a Mac because... It can run Windows? Thanks for the tips, but I don't see how that makes it better for programming unless I am going to develop for iOS or MacOS. And if your argument is that it is better for developers because you can develop for iOS and MacOS with it, then no shit Sherlock. That does not help developers that don't care about those platforms though. It's also pretty funny that one of your main reasons why the Macbook is good is the OS, and then under the slightest pressure you can't even say why it is good, and instead resorts to saying that it is good because you can run Windows on it.

The lack of an F key row is a really big slap in the face to developers and "hackers" as well, because a lot of programs use those keys.

The F key row does make sense yes. But can you not set it to be f keys? And I know the older ones had them. And Im saying that because you can run macOS and Windows at the same time it will work. You also never even asked me why the OS is good? Just was it can do. And Ive actually never heard Win32 mentioned except by script kiddies saying they'll delete it. And yes I do know

Spoiler

AXIOM

1 minute ago, Clanscorpia said:

The F key row does make sense yes. But can you not set it to be f keys? And I know the older ones had them.

Touch buttons are terrible because you can not touch type with them.

2 minutes ago, Clanscorpia said:

You also never even asked me why the OS is good?

OK, why do you think MacOS is good?

You've already said "because it is optimized", but never provided any evidence to support that claim (except that one flawed FCP test which we've already talked about).

You said it was better for programming because "it can use more APIs compared to Windows or Linux", which you did not provide any evidence for either, and later backpedaled on.

2 minutes ago, Clanscorpia said:

And Ive actually never heard Win32 mentioned except by script kiddies saying they'll delete it. And yes I do know

You're thinking of System32 which is different from Win32.