Cortana Can Not Be Turned Off In The Windows 10 Anniversary Update

LAwLz

Microsoft has removed the option to disable Cortana in the upcoming Windows 10 anniversary update.

Old vs New.png

Not that much more to be said really. For Windows 10 Pro users it seems like it will be possible to disable Cortana using a group policy (and home users will be able to disable Cortana using a registry edit), but I think it is asinine that we should have to dig around in group policies and the registry to disable it.

Microsoft is once again proving that they do not want to give users control over their own computer. I would not be surprised if the group policy and registry edit gets removed in a future update either.

I wonder how the Microsoft Defense Force will defend this move.

Source: PC World

Source 2: BetaNews

Source 3: ghacks

2 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Microsoft has removed the option to disable Cortana in the upcoming Windows 10 anniversary update.

Old vs New.png

Not that much more to be said really. For Windows 10 Pro users it seems like it will be possible to disable Cortana using a group policy (and home users will be able to disable Cortana using a registry edit), but I think it is asinine that we should have to dig around in group policies and the registry to disable it.

Microsoft is once again proving that they do not want to give users control over their own computer. I would not be surprised if the group policy and registry edit gets removed in a future update either.

I wonder how the Microsoft Defense Force will defend this move.

Source: PC World

Source 2: BetaNews

Source 3: ghacks

Yikes that's worrying,

this is proof that Cortana isnt just there for the user but also for more.. 'nefarious' reasons on Microsoft part 

"Hmmm, this is for sure the type of music you listen to,  if you want to lose friends."

'That last one' ??

Microsoft, making me more determined to switch to Linux Mint when I get a cpu that supports vt-d day by day.

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

3 minutes ago, JoeyDM said:

inb4 @GoodBytes and @AluminiumTech try to defend asinine garbage that just takes choice away from users. 

Microsoft Defense Force Committee, how can I help you? :D

LMAO!!!!!!!!!

/s /jk

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

was this found in the insider program? if so could it be force on in only that, for testing proposes?

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

Just now, AluminiumTech said:

I'm half-joking, of course. You do totally do that :P 

Just now, AlexTheRose said:

Too bad you have the 4770K huh lol

That was a really boneheaded decision on Intel’s part.

No kidding :P I've considered trading it with a regular 4770 with people but I like overclocking too much so it'll just have to wait until I do a systems upgrade in like 2 years.

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

Just now, The Benjamins said:

was this found in the insider program? if so could it be force on in only that, for testing proposes?

This is in the Insider program. Not the Official Release. Official Release isn't for another 4-6 days,

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

6 minutes ago, NoobsWeStand said:

but why? I never use it anyways. Opening a new tab and googling my question is faster anyways

Same for me :P Literally haha

Hey I'm Xiauj ^_^ Wassup :3

Just now, AluminiumTech said:

This is in the Insider program. Not the Official Release. Official Release isn't for another 4-6 days,

Well it would be an idiotic move for them to make this change in the official release given how people are already weary of the OS, hmmmmm I bet they are waiting til after the 29th to partially hide this.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

Doesnt SpyBot Antibeacon block Cortana features? 
also i dont have a mic or webcam on my desktop so thats a non-concern for me

Photography / Finance / Gaming

I don't really care about this change, Cortana is not bad at all in my opinion. Besides, the change isn't even confirmed yet to be in the normal versions. The non-Windows insider version is not even released yet.

My rigs:

Spoiler

NEW Ryzinator build:

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 9 3950X 8-Core Processor

Motherboard: Asus - PRIME X370-PRO ATX AM4

RAM: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2666 @ DDR4-3066

Storage: (3x) Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5", Samsung - 960 EVO 250GB M.2-2280

PSU: Seasonic Prime TX-750

Additional fan: Noctua - NF-A14 PWM 82.5 CFM 140mm Fan

Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case

GPU: ASUS Radeon RX 580 Dual OC 4GB

Display: MSI 27L Optix MAG272QP @ 165Hz

OLD Build (SOLD):

CPU: AMD FX-6100 Motherboard: ASRock 960GM/U3S3 FX (VRM overheating, don't buy) RAM: 8GB Kingston ValueRAM GPU: Onboard ATI Radeon 3000 Graphics Case: Corsair Obsidian 500D Storage: Hitachi HDS721010CLA332 1TB, 119GB SAMSUNG MMCRE28G5MXP-0VBH1 (SSD), 465GB Western Digital WDC WD5000AZRX-00L4HB0 (SATA)  PSU: Be quiet! - Straight Power 10 400 Watt Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO OS: Windows 10 Pro x64 

Retro gaming build:

CPU: Intel Pentium 3 Coppermine @ 800MHz Motherboard: Asus P2B i440BX BIOS 1012 FSB: 133 MHz RAM: 1x 128MB Hynix PC133 SDR SDRAM GPU: ATi Radeon 9200 256MB AGP Case: Full Tower case (unbranded) Storage: CompactFlash card to IDE converter (16GB card) Sound Card: Aztech 2320 ISA Cooling: Stock heatsink fan OS: Windows 98 Second Edition

1 minute ago, AresKrieger said:

Well it would be an idiotic move for them to make this change in the official release given how people are already weary of the OS, hmmmmm I bet they are waiting til after the 29th to partially hide this.

The only way to get most people to use it would be to not allow people to disable it.

Most people leave it disabled and never turn it on. Only Windows fans and Insiders enable it.

3 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

so can't Microsoft force features on in the inside program to get more people to test it? so then that would mean it does not guarantee it will be like that in official release.

Just now, The Benjamins said:

so can't Microsoft force features on in the inside program to get more people to test it? so then that would mean it does not guarantee it will be like that in official release.

Not likely. If they change something they usually don't revert it unless all hell breaks lose.

I could say how crappy this decision is from Microsoft.

But every time I do, I am ignored by the same group of super closed minded anti-Microsoft that this forum has, like all my other complaints, and say how I "defend" Microsoft all the time.

I must say, however, I am enjoying some of your creative ways in calling me, and say what you think that I think, but just completely wrong. Maybe I should get buy myself a popcorn machine. Love you guys! :D

1 minute ago, AluminiumTech said:

The only way to get most people to use it would be to not allow people to disable it.

Most people leave it disabled and never turn it on. Only Windows fans and Insiders enable it.

Well if there is a feature you don't want to use, and never plan to why wouldn't you disable it, hopefully this was just to get more numbers about Cortana via insider testing, but I have very little trust in microsoft, if any.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

10 minutes ago, AlexTheRose said:

Too bad you have the 4770K huh lol

That was a really boneheaded decision on Intel’s part.

it was actually due to a bug with it.

They re-enabled it with the refresh CPU cos they fixed the bug.

10 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

That is correct, and that was people understanding. But we are not at the release candidate stages.

1 minute ago, GoodBytes said:

I could say how crappy this decision is from Microsoft.

But every time I do, I am ignored by the same group of super closed minded anti-Microsoft that this forum has, like all my other complaints, and say how "defend" Microsoft.

I must say, however, I am enjoying some of your creative ways in calling me, and say what you think that I think, but just completely wrong. Maybe I should get buy myself a pop-corn machine.Love you guys! :D

Yeah I just played along with what they said for some humor

11 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Microsoft Defense Force Committee, how can I help you? :D

LMAO!!!!!!!!!

/s /jk

I am still waiting for a LACP to be fixed