JOHN MCAFEE: I'll decrypt the San Bernardino phone for free so Apple doesn't need to place a back door on its product

Samfisher

Source : http://www.businessinsider.com/john-mcafee-ill-decrypt-san-bernardino-phone-for-free-2016-2?IR=T&utm_content=buffer38245&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer?r=US&IR=T

ap_474060989735.jpg

So here is my offer to the FBI. I will, for free, decrypt the information on the San Bernardino phone, with my team. We will primarily use social engineering and it will take us three weeks. If you accept my offer, then you will not need to ask Apple to place a back door in their product, which will be the beginning of the end of America.

The slightly mad and hugely controversial founder and founder (and no longer part of since 1994) of security vendor McAfee hits the front page once again. I.... Don't know what to say TBH.  It's a fine offer but... It's John McAfee...

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

Whatever, your AV is pos.

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

2 minutes ago, Samfisher said:

Source : http://www.businessinsider.com/john-mcafee-ill-decrypt-san-bernardino-phone-for-free-2016-2?IR=T&utm_content=buffer38245&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer?r=US&IR=T

ap_474060989735.jpg

The slightly mad and hugely controversial founder and no longer leader of security vendor McAfee hits the front page once again. I.... Don't know what to say TBH.  It's a fine offer but... It's John mcAfee...

hey who cares if the man can do it and manages to do it then hes done us a huge favor

“I am Holo the Wise Wolf. I know that there are things in this world that I do not know and that makes me wise!”

Spoiler

Use the following style specs for your profile!
Screeninator:  Asus GeForce GTX 750Ti 2GB
Powermathingy: EVGA 500W
Stickaminator: Crucial 16GB 「4x4GB」DDR3-1600
Procrastinator: Intel i5-4460 3.2ghz
Holdametalicizor:  Corsair 200R 
Noisoundacreator:  Razer kracken pro
Attatchamajiggy :  Asrock H97 Anniversairy ATX LGA1150
Remembrerthing:  i've got a-lot of drives
Flat-Colorful-Thing:  LG not actually sure the model of it
See-A-Move-O: Razer Mamba 2012
ButtonBoard:  Razer Deathstalker 

Just now, Lethal Seraph said:

Whatever, your AV is pos.

He hasn't even been a part of McAfee for ages and ages now, and regularly slings mud at the company lol.

Well that was unexpected

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

If he claim to be able to do it... Why can't the FBI do it as well?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Just now, MageTank said:

I somehow doubt he is even capable of doing it. 

Doesn't matter. He's taking the piss anyway.

9 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

If he claim to be able to do it... Why can't the FBI do it as well?

When it comes to IT, most police is even more inept than McAfee.

5 minutes ago, awesomes8wc3 said:

Damn, beat me to it. McAfee is literally the greatest troll. 

Tip to those that are new on LTT forum- quote a post so that the person you are quoting gets a notification, otherwise they'll have no idea that you did. You can also use a tag such as @Ryoutarou97 (replace my username with anyone's. You should get a dropdown after you type the "@")to send a notification, but quoting is preferable.

Feel free to PM me about absolutely anything be it tech, math, literature, etc. I'll try my best to help. I'm currently looking for a cheap used build for around $25 to set up as a home server if anyone is selling.

If you are a native speaker please use proper English if you can. Punctuation, capitalization, and spelling are as important to making your message readable as proper night theme formatting is.

My build is fully operational, but won't be posted until after I get a GPU in it and the case arted up.

We will primarily use social engineering

So what is he going to have his team call Apple with Phishing attempts until they get the info needed to crack the phone?

CPU i5-4690K(OC to 4.4Ghz) CPU Cooler NZXT Kraken x41 Motherboard MSI Z97 Gaming 5 Memory G.Skillz Ripjaws X 16gb 2133 Video Card MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X           Case NZXT H440 Power Supply XFX XTR 750W Modular Storage Samsung 840 EVO 250gb/Seagate Barracuda 2TB Monitor Acer XB270HU G-Sync http://pcpartpicker.com/b/3CkTwP

Unlocking = hardware reset ?

That dude is extremely smart doe

McAfee was employed as a programmer byNASA's Institute for Space Studies in New York City from 1968 to 1970. From there he went to Univac as a software designer and later to Xerox as an operating systemarchitect. In 1978 he joined Computer Sciences Corporation as a software consultant. He worked for consulting firmBooz Allen Hamilton from 1980-1982.[8] In the 1980s, while employed by Lockheed, McAfee received a copy of the Brain computer virus and began developing software to combat viruses.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

This guys looks like he's drunk.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

Ill unlock it just give me 10 tries.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

Just now, Yoinkerman said:

Ill unlock it just give me 10 tries.

Oh fuck, looks like it's erased itself. Well, you can have your money back now guys ;)

2 minutes ago, Half-Shot said:

Sounds like it. Boy, what a talented person.

McAfee is actually a really really smart person.

3 minutes ago, Samfisher said:

McAfee is actually a really really smart person.

That may be, but this is a stupid claim to make. The target is a man who doesn't sound like the type to leave his pass code with anyone or store it. The only way to get at the phone would be with brute force which would require either a LOT of reverse engineering of the OS to the point where they can send convincing and working updates to the phone, or opening up the phone and bruteforcing the data.

Neither would take 3 weeks.

4 minutes ago, Half-Shot said:

That may be, but this is a stupid claim to make. The target is a man who doesn't sound like the type to leave his pass code with anyone or store it. The only way to get at the phone would be with brute force which would require either a LOT of reverse engineering of the OS to the point where they can send convincing and working updates to the phone, or opening up the phone and bruteforcing the data.

Mcafee is a troll. Don't take him too seriously.

5 minutes ago, Half-Shot said:

That's really not what social engineering is though. That's just digging through piles of crap for a folder with TOP SEKRET PASSWORD on it.  Social engineering is combing through your life to see who and what kind of person you are, and making educated guesses on what could possible be your password.

5 minutes ago, LukeTim said:

Mcafee is a troll. Don't take him too seriously.

...I should do my research before I get angry. I thought he was being totally legit :/ Going to need a moment to calm down.

4 minutes ago, Samfisher said:

That's really not what social engineering is though. That's just digging through piles of crap for a folder with TOP SEKRET PASSWORD on it.  Social engineering is combing through your life to see who and what kind of person you are, and making educated guesses on what could possible be your password.

Which might work if you want an email address or password, but this is an arbitrary number. Yeah it could be his birthday or the day NASA invaded the moon, but it's more than likely to be something as random as a pin number. And it's not like you can look through a mans life and turn up to Apple and say I am this somewhat famous dead guy, give me his data. Too risky (for 10 attempts) and I don't see him doing it.

1 minute ago, Half-Shot said:

...I should do my research before I get angry. I thought he was being totally legit :/ Going to need a moment to calm down.

Which might work if you want an email address or password, but this is an arbitrary number. Yeah it could be his birthday or the day NASA invaded the moon, but it's more than likely to be something as random as a pin number. And it's not like you can look through a mans life and turn up to Apple and say I am this somewhat famous dead guy, give me his data. Too risky (for 10 attempts) and I don't see him doing it.

As history and studies have told us, pin numbers are rarely ever random numbers.  It always (almost) corresponds to something that has a meaning to the user.