JOHN MCAFEE: I'll decrypt the San Bernardino phone for free so Apple doesn't need to place a back door on its product

Samfisher
1 minute ago, Samfisher said:

As history and studies have told us, pin numbers are rarely ever random numbers.  It always (almost) corresponds to something that has a meaning to the user.

Not mine, it's a totally random number (I hope, unless the bank was lying to me) that I got mailed years ago. Is that uncommon?

EDIT: I just realised you might be talking about the phone :D , in which case you could be right due to humans being inept at even trying to be random.

Hey john close your ass it's talking shit again m8.

He's just trying to get attention, again... Hate him.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

Just now, Half-Shot said:

Not mine, it's a totally random number (I hope, unless the bank was lying to me) that I got mailed years ago. Is that uncommon?

Sure, most people use different pins for their banks but for a device that you use very often, it's often easier and simpler just to go with something familiar.  Losing money can be devastating, losing a phone, not so much and chances are he didn't change his pin after the crime.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

If he does it everyone is going to be amazed if he doesn't then....you know the ddeal.

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

In before the phone has no incriminating evidence to convict the guy with and all that effort was for nothing.

32 minutes ago, Half-Shot said:

Oh fuck, looks like it's erased itself. Well, you can have your money back now guys ;)

Ill do it for free so no harm no foul right

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

35 minutes ago, Samfisher said:

McAfee is actually a really really smart person.

McAfee looks like a scumbag snorking meth.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

3 minutes ago, NateGSR117 said:

In before the phone has no incriminating evidence to convict the guy with and all that effort was for nothing.

Do they need any more evidence? This sounds more like the US gov trying to use a tragedy to gain new tools under the guise of justice.

takes off tinfoil hat

How does anyone hate this guy?

DAYTONA

PROCESSOR - AMD RYZEN 7 3700X
MOTHERBOARD - ASUS PRIME X370-PRO
RAM - 32GB (4x8GB) CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX DDR4-2400
CPU COOLING - NOCTUA NH-D14
GRAPHICS CARD - EVGA NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0 w/ BACKPLATE
BOOT and PROGRAMS - CORSAIR MP600 1TB
GAMES and FILES - TOSHIBA 2TB
INTERNAL BACKUP - WESTERN DIGITAL GREEN 4TB
POWER SUPPLY - CORSAIR RM850i
CASE - CORSAIR OBSIDIAN 750D

Password is 1234

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

He won't. Because you can't. It's like having a thickest door to a safe in the world with only one lock, and the key to that lock has never been made and will never be made because you can't take the lock out of the huge-ass door it's currently in.

He's trolling on a whole new level.

Ye ole' train

He says social engineering because, lets face it, that is the only way to get the pass-code. Perhaps someone else knew it, or they can derive it from something else. But that is completely a guess, and in no way is a guarantee of any sorts. 

Decryption via any system other than acquiring the pass-code is impossible.

7 hours ago, Samfisher said:

Sure, most people use different pins for their banks but for a device that you use very often, it's often easier and simpler just to go with something familiar.  Losing money can be devastating, losing a phone, not so much and chances are he didn't change his pin after the crime.

It's your call. You have 10 attempts. Nobody except the FBI likely knows if they have attempted any at all, but 10 attempts. That is enough to deter them from attempting even the most common ones. 

Some decrypting techniques involve dumping the devices RAM to look for the key, I think there was an exploit discovered for bitlocker that would allow you to grab the key, but it required that the key be entered previously

1 hour ago, lots of unexplainable lag said:

He won't. Because you can't. It's like having a thickest door to a safe in the world with only one lock, and the key to that lock has never been made and will never be made because you can't take the lock out of the huge-ass door it's currently in.

He's trolling on a whole new level.

That's what I thought. He'll hook it up to some system, and tell the FBI "that will be ready in a few trillion years, now f**k off"

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

1 minute ago, stconquest said:

Could you not just clone the drive and work with the clones?

Same result. The government gets a tool that they can, and inevitably WILL abuse.

Just now, Trik'Stari said:

Same result. The government gets a tool that they can, and inevitably WILL abuse.

The tools are available... to anyone. 

The tools are available... to anyone. 

Exactly, which is why it's best to leave that tool unmade (the back door into iOS)

Exactly, which is why it's best to leave that tool unmade (the back door into iOS)

I agree.  If Apple does not want to do work for free, they should not have to;  for any reason they want to give.  I mean, your gov't should be able to crack that phone on their own.

2 hours ago, Half-Shot said:

...I should do my research before I get angry. I thought he was being totally legit :/ Going to need a moment to calm down.

Read up a bit on this guy, he's hilarious and terrifying in equal measure.

2 minutes ago, stconquest said:

I agree.  If Apple does not want to do work for free, they should not have to;  for any reason they want to give.  I mean, your gov't should be able to crack that phone on their own.

My question is, what can they get off of the phone, that they can't get with the NSA spying on everyone program? They just want to circumvent all security.

My question is, what can they get off of the phone, that they can't get with the NSA spying on everyone program? They just want to circumvent all security.

Absolutely correct.  They have no idea what is on the phone.  Maybe there is nothing.  Even if there is a huge contact list, what's to say any of those contacts will lead to any hidden cells or handlers?

I think they are just lazy and unprepared.  Having Apple do it is much easier.

Absolutely correct.  They have no idea what is on the phone.  Maybe there is nothing.  Even if there is a huge contact list, what's to say any of those contacts will lead to any hidden cells or handlers?

I think they are just lazy and unprepared.  Having Apple do it is much easier.

I think they're just using it as an excuse to get something created, that they want created, so they can abuse it in the future.

They see an opportunity where they can get the moronic public to agree with them, and shoot themselves (the public) in the foot. Because "it's for your safety!" etc etc.

1 hour ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

"Hey, if I can decrypt this phone, it means that I can make good AV, right?"

"No, it means you are even more likely to further fuck up my PC and steal my data"

Well, he hasn't been a part of the security company McAfee for the better part of 2 decades, chances are he was already not around when you were born, which probably is the case cos your profile says DOB 1998 :P

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.