Lizard Squad DDOSer Sentenced for 50,700 Cybercrimes, Walks Out Of Court With A Suspended Sentence

Master Disaster

So, today Julius ‘zeekill’ Kivimaki was handed down a 2 year suspended sentence for some 50,700 charges of cybercrime including data breaches, felony payment fraud and telecommunications harassment by the Finnish court. Along side his suspended sentence he was also ordered to to help combat cybercrime rather than perpetrate it

Its important to note that he is also on trial for the Christmas DDOS attacks however those attack were not included in his sentence.

Heres the article

A key Lizard Squad member had been convicted of 50,700 charges related to computer crimes, according to Finnish newspaper Kaleva.

Julius “zeekill” Kivimaki, 17, was sentenced to a two-year suspended sentence and must undergo monitoring of his online activities, according to Finnish media. He will not go to prison.

Multiple sources close to Kivimaki, who requested anonymity due to their online activities, independently confirmed the date of his sentencing with the Daily Dot.

The charges against Kivimaki include data breaches, felony payment fraud, telecommunication harassments, and other counts relate to fraud and violations of company secrets.

Neither the Ministry of the Interior, Police Department of Finland, nor the District Court of Espoo, the court presiding over Kivimaki's case, were available for comment in time for publication due to time differences.

Kivimaki, whom cybersecurity journalist Brian Krebs identified as a member of Lizard Squad in December, helped lead massive distributed-denial-of-service (DDoS) attacks on Microsoft’s Xbox Live and Sony’s Playstation Network over last year's winter holidays, making international headlines. Kivimaki appeared on camera during an interview with U.K. television station Sky News.

Blair Strater, a victim of Kivimaki’s repeated harassment, was “absolutely disgusted” by the ruling, he told the Daily Dot in a phone interview, because he felt the sentence was too light. Kivimaki has, according to Strater, repeatedly called in fake threats to American law enforcement, resulting SWAT teams arriving at the Strater residence, a practice commonly known as “swatting.” For three years, Kivimaki has harassed the Strater family by stealing their identities and wreaking havoc on their finances and personal lives, Strater said.

“I’ve lost complete faith in the justice system, and that includes the FBI. He’s harmed American targets and the FBI should have stepped in by now,” Strater said. “The reality is, Julius Kivimaki will never be made to pay for his crimes.”

Kivimaki did not return a request for comment.

http://www.dailydot.com/crime/lizard-squad-indicted-julius-kivimaki/

2nd source - http://gamerant.com/christmas-ddos-hacker-sentenced-120/

Here's a reply from a former Sony employee who was a target multiple times

Here is more from the CEO of Daybreak, formerly Sony Online Entertainment (SOE)

I normally don't weigh in on subjects relating to me personally, but I will this time.

I'm extremely angry that the Finnish justice system chose to let Julius Kivimaki off with a 2 year suspended sentence. This guy is the worst kind of bad news.

He's been involved for years in every kind of terrible thing you can imagine including Carding, hacking, swatting people all over the world. He's also participated in a major way in DDOS attacks that caused a lot of grief for gamers and a lot of economic damage to the companies that make and run games.

He was the guy that brought down my flight with a bomb threat. I've heard the entire recording where he convinced an airline customer service agent there was a bomb on the plane. He also in conjunction with others has sent me pictures of my father's grave with nasty stuff on it. I've had my entire credit history put out on the internet including my SSN and my families info. We've had multiple social networks and other things hacked and had my family members called.

I've also been swatted (multiple times) and had over 50 false credit applications submitted in my name and had to deal with the ramifications of what happens to your credit when this kind of thing happens. It's not good. And to top it all off they decided to submit false tax returns.

So to put this bluntly - I want this kind in jail for a long time. You shouldn't be able to do crap like this without any hint of a consequence. I plan on doing everything in my power to see him get what's coming to him in court one way or another. What he just got convicted of were over 50,000 separate incidents of hacking and other nastiness. This has nothing to do with the downing of the plane or the DDOS stuff he did or the things he did to me (not just me btw he did this to a lot of other people too). Those cases are still pending, but they have him dead to rights.

So you guys can debate this.. and that's all well and good, but meanwhile this shit is real to my life and my family's life and I'm sure as hell not lying down for it for a second. I've been working with law enforcement to put him and others into jail where they belong. Some of them are minors which makes it tough. Most of them are outside the US, which makes it tougher. But I'm patient and I'm going to be relentless about this.

Smed

What a fucking joke, 50,700 crimes on his rap sheet and he walks away with a 2 year suspended sentence and a fucking course.

This my fellow techies is why kids have no fear of the law or the rules these days, because they see people getting arrested and charged with cybercrime then still walking out of court. Way to lay down the law on this one Finland.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

perks of being 17 years old.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

You're kidding.  <_<

That is utter crap right there.

Why is the God of Hyperdeath SO...DARN...CUTE!?

Also, if anyone has their mind corrupted by an anthropomorphic black latex bat, please let me know. I would like to join you.

Its not illegal till you get caught xD.

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Display: BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 144Hz

They go easy on this kid, yet they'd gladly try to lock someone up for over a year for pirating a few songs. 

ಠ_ಠ

Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait Edition █ CPU: Intel i7-4790K █ GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 780Ti █ RAM: 8GB AVEXIR DDR3 1600  █ Storage: 120GB Kingston HyperX SSD + 1TB Seagate Barracuda HDD 

█ Monitor: 21.5" 1080p 60Hz  PSU: 700w █ Case: Fractal Define R4 █       ...LTT Dark Theme master race.

Project MiniConsole

So 2 years suspended sentence? So he will appear in court again at 19?

In a lot of countries under 18 year olds get off with much lighter sentences.

Lizard Squad is too smart. Hackers can do anything really.. this isn't new. 

Security Analyst & Tech Enthusiast

Ask me anything.

Nope, it means if he does anything else in the next 2 years then he will appear in court again for his new crimes plus these old ones all together. If he remains out of trouble for 2 years he walks away scott free, no harm, no foul.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Yes, but still, 50,700 convictions is a lot. How many people can get that many in their lifetimes, let alone by the time they're 17?!

Why is the God of Hyperdeath SO...DARN...CUTE!?

Also, if anyone has their mind corrupted by an anthropomorphic black latex bat, please let me know. I would like to join you.

Oh the perks of being a minor.

You know what's easier than buying and building a brand new PC? Petty larceny!
If you're worried about getting caught, here's a trick: Only steal one part at a time. Plenty of people will call the cops because somebody stole their computer -- nobody calls the cops because they're "pretty sure the dirty-bathrobe guy from next door jacked my heat sink."

Even for I would say far more serious convictions the punishments are very negligible. You get around 2 years for developing malicious software. 

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Display: BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 144Hz

Sigh if only courts were black or white (guilt or not guilty) not this bullshit of every shade of grey in between. That is an enormous amount of chargers especially for a 17 year old. When I was his age I wouldn't even touch alcohol because I was still under the age. I wouldn't even go to nightclub because of the other attractions (drugs, smoking etc.) yet he breaches the personal details of others on numerous occasions.

This is outrageous, but unfortunately the world is without a consistent order. Time and time again we see this in various aspects of the legal system but we are too stupid to stand up to it. Guess this happens when are good majority of the world doesn't give a shit because they live on benefits.   

It's a suspended sentence, and on probation for those 2 years, he'll get resentenced as an adult. 

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

One of the many proofs why this country should be whipped out ASAP. It's a concentration of stupidity.

Who cares if it's nukes? Just bomb this place to the ground, it's insignificant anyway. Or just let the time do the job with the economy being in a nosedive.

As soon as I'm done studying (abusing the tax-payed studying), I plan to move out of here. There's no saving it. Would be actually more beneficial to become a part of Sweden again, or heck, even part of Russia.

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

One of the many proofs why this country should be whipped out ASAP. It's a concentration of stupidity.

Who cares if it's nukes? Just bomb this place to the ground, it's insignificant anyway. Or just let the time do the job with the economy being in a nosedive.

As soon as I'm done studying (abusing the tax-payed studying), I plan to move out of here. There's no saving it. Would be actually more beneficial to become a part of Sweden again, or heck, even part of Russia.

just ...

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

just ...

What? Can't one be ashamed of their own nationality?

Seriously though: budget cuts are made everywhere except healthcare, and healthcare is already using over 50% of total tax revenue, and there's still a wave of retirement coming from the "huge generations". The economy is done for. Might as well bail out when I still can.

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

What? Can't one be ashamed of their own nationality?

Seriously though: budget cuts are made everywhere except healthcare, and healthcare is already using over 50% of total tax revenue, and there's still a wave of retirement coming from the "huge generations". The economy is done for. Might as well bail out when I still can.

Ashamed of one's natinality is different than "this country should be whipped out ASAP".

But seriously, healtchare over 50%? wow.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

...remind me to join lizard squad

Everything you need to know about AMD cpus in one simple post.  Christian Member 

Wii u, ps3(2 usb fat),ps4

Iphone 6 64gb and surface RT

Hp DL380 G5 with one E5345 and bunch of hot swappable hdds in raid 5 from when i got it. intend to run xen server on it

Apple Power Macintosh G5 2.0 DP (PCI-X) with notebook hdd i had lying around 4GB of ram

TOSHIBA Satellite P850 with Core i7-3610QM,8gb of ram,default 750hdd has dual screens via a external display as main and laptop display as second running windows 10

MacBookPro11,3:I7-4870HQ, 512gb ssd,16gb of memory

Take it easy there EdgeLord9000. Someone might get cut on all that edge.

Yes, but still, 50,700 convictions is a lot. How many people can get that many in their lifetimes, let alone by the time they're 17?!

He is probably just a skiddie, which is why his sentence seem so tame. He probably just downloaded some tool someone else made, ran it and all of a sudden he had done pentests on 10,000 servers. They might be including things like piracy in that number too.

2 years is a pretty long time for a 17 year old as well. It's a significant part of their life and it's very possible to change in that time. No reason to waste tax payer money keeping him locked in because that will just create another misfit that won't get a job or do any meaningful contribution to the country.

He is probably just a skiddie, which is why his sentence seem so tame. He probably just downloaded some tool someone else made, ran it and all of a sudden he had done pentests on 10,000 servers. They might be including things like piracy in that number too.

This guy isn't skiddie. He stole credit card information to make purchases and stole email data from MIT. 

http://mashable.com/2015/07/09/finnish-teen-convicted-for-50000-hacks/

But seriously, healtchare over 50%? wow.

There is no way that number is correct and a quick Google Search seems to indicate that it is not.

According to a study done by Swedish Association of Local Authorities and Regions, Finland uses the least resources and got average results in the test (out of 16 countries) which made it the most efficient public health sector in the test.

You just have to look at the data summary in this article from The Guardian to tell that it's bullshit. Look at the per capita government spending on healthcare (measured in PPP). The number in () is the % of the GDP that's spent on healthcare.

Finland - 2462 (9)

Sweden - 3047 (9.6)

Norway - 4552 (9.5)

UK - 2919 (9.6)

US - 4437 (17.9 lol what the fuck are you doing US)

Canada - 3104 (11.3)

Denmark - 3861 (11.4)

Germany - 3339 (11.6)

These numbers are 3 years old now, but I doubt it has changed that much since.

Of course these are not "X% of tax money goes to Y" numbers but I couldn't even find anything like that. If kokis has a source then I'll gladly read it. I think the numbers I presented paints a pretty clear picture though. Finland isn't spending an extraordinary amount on health care.