Lizard Squad DDOSer Sentenced for 50,700 Cybercrimes, Walks Out Of Court With A Suspended Sentence

Master Disaster

He has already been sentenced, he received a 2 year suspended sentence. That doesn't mean he will be tried again in 2 years. It means he's been given 2 years in prison suspended pended license and probation. If he reoffends he gets sentenced for his new offence + 2 years. If he's good he gets nothing.

I just looked up how Finland legally defines the whole suspended sentence thing, and he is basically on probation for the duration of the suspended sentence + 1 year. 

So if he does anything wrong in the next 3 years, he'll have to serve the 2 years he got now + whatever infraction they catch him for. 

If he doesn't do anything wrong (or doesn't get caught) for 3 years, he is free.

He has already been sentenced, he received a 2 year suspended sentence. That doesn't mean he will be tried again in 2 years. It means he's been given 2 years in prison suspended pended license and probation. If he reoffends he gets sentenced for his new offence + 2 years. If he's good he gets nothing.

Like I already explained, the probability of the latter scenario is absurdly small. Again, two years is pretty massive for a person of his age, and for LS in general.

Basically, he has to halt all LS activity for two years straight in order to get off scot free, assuming that even happens (extremely doubtful, but I digress). In other words, his team is cooked.

Read the community standards; it's like a guide on how to not be a moron.

Gerdauf's Law: Each and every human being, without exception, is the direct carbon copy of the types of people that he/she bitterly opposes.

Remember, calling facts opinions does not ever make the facts opinions, no matter what nonsense you pull.

I was talking about the courts decision. You are either guilty or not guilty. We can't have the following, where someone commits thousands of crimes but because of the nature being technology related it becomes greyed out and blurred. A crime IS a crime. And if they are convicted of a crime no matter what area then they are guilty.  

Don't get me wrong there are grey areas because well life is neither right or wrong, but a crime IS wrong, that's why it's in fact a crime. I hope you understand what I mean.

I'm not entirely sure if you understand how the legal system works. Or indeed, much at all, with regards to your previous "people on benefits" comments.

He was charged with committing a bunch of crimes, he was found guilty in a court of law. Your problem lies with the apparent leniency of the sentence. A suspended sentence doesn't mean he was found not guilty or that he didn't commit any crimes. Jeez.

Here is more from the CEO of Daybreak, formerly Sony Online Entertainment (SOE)

https://www.reddit.com/r/Planetside/comments/3co2x1/daybreak_ceo_to_go_after_hacker_who_downed_his/csxjztr

–]j_smedley 247 points

3 hours ago

I normally don't weigh in on subjects relating to me personally, but I will this time.

I'm extremely angry that the Finnish justice system chose to let Julius Kivimaki off with a 2 year suspended sentence. This guy is the worst kind of bad news.

He's been involved for years in every kind of terrible thing you can imagine including Carding, hacking, swatting people all over the world. He's also participated in a major way in DDOS attacks that caused a lot of grief for gamers and a lot of economic damage to the companies that make and run games.

He was the guy that brought down my flight with a bomb threat. I've heard the entire recording where he convinced an airline customer service agent there was a bomb on the plane. He also in conjunction with others has sent me pictures of my father's grave with nasty stuff on it. I've had my entire credit history put out on the internet including my SSN and my families info. We've had multiple social networks and other things hacked and had my family members called.

I've also been swatted (multiple times) and had over 50 false credit applications submitted in my name and had to deal with the ramifications of what happens to your credit when this kind of thing happens. It's not good. And to top it all off they decided to submit false tax returns.

So to put this bluntly - I want this kind in jail for a long time. You shouldn't be able to do crap like this without any hint of a consequence. I plan on doing everything in my power to see him get what's coming to him in court one way or another. What he just got convicted of were over 50,000 separate incidents of hacking and other nastiness. This has nothing to do with the downing of the plane or the DDOS stuff he did or the things he did to me (not just me btw he did this to a lot of other people too). Those cases are still pending, but they have him dead to rights.

So you guys can debate this.. and that's all well and good, but meanwhile this shit is real to my life and my family's life and I'm sure as hell not lying down for it for a second. I've been working with law enforcement to put him and others into jail where they belong. Some of them are minors which makes it tough. Most of them are outside the US, which makes it tougher. But I'm patient and I'm going to be relentless about this.

Smed

He is probably just a skiddie, which is why his sentence seem so tame. He probably just downloaded some tool someone else made, ran it and all of a sudden he had done pentests on 10,000 servers. They might be including things like piracy in that number too.

2 years is a pretty long time for a 17 year old as well. It's a significant part of their life and it's very possible to change in that time. No reason to waste tax payer money keeping him locked in because that will just create another misfit that won't get a job or do any meaningful contribution to the country.

Yeah, you're right. I was tired when I wrote that, so my thoughts were a little fuzzy. Anyway, I completely agree with you. I don't know what should be done in this situation, though. I'd hate to have him sent to jail, especially since he's so young. Jail doesn't seem like the best environment for rehabilitation (though I don't have much experience), and if you're in for an extended period of time, it's extremely difficult to be reintegrated back into society. And being lumped together with people who would have completely different mindsets to one who's just a hacker, or even a skiddie as you said, is just asking for trouble.

And I still feel sorry for him, despite what he's done. I still want him to be able to succeed in life, and being sent off to jail would certainly ruin that. I wonder how long the sentence will be once the suspension ends...

Just...what do we do?! We have to help these people, not hurt them!!!!!

Why is the God of Hyperdeath SO...DARN...CUTE!?

Also, if anyone has their mind corrupted by an anthropomorphic black latex bat, please let me know. I would like to join you.

Here is more from the CEO of Daybreak, formerly Sony Online Entertainment (SOE)

https://www.reddit.com/r/Planetside/comments/3co2x1/daybreak_ceo_to_go_after_hacker_who_downed_his/csxjztr

–]j_smedley 247 points

3 hours ago

I normally don't weigh in on subjects relating to me personally, but I will this time.

I'm extremely angry that the Finnish justice system chose to let Julius Kivimaki off with a 2 year suspended sentence. This guy is the worst kind of bad news.

He's been involved for years in every kind of terrible thing you can imagine including Carding, hacking, swatting people all over the world. He's also participated in a major way in DDOS attacks that caused a lot of grief for gamers and a lot of economic damage to the companies that make and run games.

He was the guy that brought down my flight with a bomb threat. I've heard the entire recording where he convinced an airline customer service agent there was a bomb on the plane. He also in conjunction with others has sent me pictures of my father's grave with nasty stuff on it. I've had my entire credit history put out on the internet including my SSN and my families info. We've had multiple social networks and other things hacked and had my family members called.

I've also been swatted (multiple times) and had over 50 false credit applications submitted in my name and had to deal with the ramifications of what happens to your credit when this kind of thing happens. It's not good. And to top it all off they decided to submit false tax returns.

So to put this bluntly - I want this kind in jail for a long time. You shouldn't be able to do crap like this without any hint of a consequence. I plan on doing everything in my power to see him get what's coming to him in court one way or another. What he just got convicted of were over 50,000 separate incidents of hacking and other nastiness. This has nothing to do with the downing of the plane or the DDOS stuff he did or the things he did to me (not just me btw he did this to a lot of other people too). Those cases are still pending, but they have him dead to rights.

So you guys can debate this.. and that's all well and good, but meanwhile this shit is real to my life and my family's life and I'm sure as hell not lying down for it for a second. I've been working with law enforcement to put him and others into jail where they belong. Some of them are minors which makes it tough. Most of them are outside the US, which makes it tougher. But I'm patient and I'm going to be relentless about this.

Smed

Added to OP :)

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

The person who said his parent's should be held accountable is fucking stupid. The kid made their choice, no the parents. I don't know a lot about it, but will this go on a criminal record. I can't imagine many employers are going to want to hire him.

Dude will probably be hired as a white hat hacker as what often happens.

Dude will probably be hired as a white hat hacker as what often happens.

At least he'd be doing something good. I can't really say that I'm really against that.

On one hand he is a minor and therefore doesn't have as good of decision making skills as someone 5 years his elder. On the other hand he participated in a lot of terrible things and had to have known the effect it would have on others because of the nature of the crimes. I think he should serve prison time and be charged as an adult. I do not think this shit should be rewarded by hiring him as a white hat, that might just be what he and a lot of dick heads that do this want to happen. I think rehabilitation is important, behavioral therapy and probation for 10 years to make sure he doesn't do this shit again.

Or strike him a deal to bring down as much of the organization as possible, skip prison time and just do probation. 

My thoughts.

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

On one hand he is a minor and therefore doesn't have as good of decision making skills as someone 5 years his elder. On the other hand he participated in a lot of terrible things and had to have known the effect it would have on others because of the nature of the crimes. I think he should serve prison time and be charged as an adult. I do not think this shit should be rewarded by hiring him as a white hat, that might just be what he and a lot of dick heads that do this want to happen. I think rehabilitation is important, behavioral therapy and probation for 10 years to make sure he doesn't do this shit again.

Or strike him a deal to bring down as much of the organization as possible, skip prison time and just do probation. 

My thoughts.

The problem - especially in the US, but also an issue elsewhere - is when they catch the Black Hats, they just throw them in prison to rot. Certainly punishment is deserved, but if he can be used as a White Hat to prevent similar things from happening, that's a definite benefit.

There simply aren't enough skilled White Hat's around in the US. Many of them don't have the necessary skill to combat an actual good Black Hat, and the good ones are rare enough to make it an issue.

We should give them a minimum amount of punishment, to make sure they understand the error of their ways, but if we can use them, we should.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

The problem - especially in the US, but also an issue elsewhere - is when they catch the Black Hats, they just throw them in prison to rot. Certainly punishment is deserved, but if he can be used as a White Hat to prevent similar things from happening, that's a definite benefit.

There simply aren't enough skilled White Hat's around in the US. Many of them don't have the necessary skill to combat an actual good Black Hat, and the good ones are rare enough to make it an issue.

We should give them a minimum amount of punishment, to make sure they understand the error of their ways, but if we can use them, we should.

No I wasn't talking about throwing him in and tossing the key away. I was saying their should be a punishment for it, just like every other crime has a minimum. They need to adhere to it though, in many ways more than other crimes. Less wiggle room for sentencing because this is the future of crime! Their isn't a way of preventing this stuff from happening without subjecting every citizen to a big government microscope (a la NSA) but their is a way of deterring future asshats from doing this sort of shit. 

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

No I wasn't talking about throwing him in and tossing the key away. I was saying their should be a punishment for it, just like every other crime has a minimum. They need to adhere to it though, in many ways more than other crimes. Less wiggle room for sentencing because this is the future of crime! Their isn't a way of preventing this stuff from happening without subjecting every citizen to a big government microscope (a la NSA) but their is a way of deterring future asshats from doing this sort of shit. 

Well having probation itself is a form of punishment. His computer activities will be monitored the entire time. His freedom itself is restricted.

I personally think a short stint in prison may be a good idea - but perhaps only a few months. People might scoff at that, but for a 17 year old, 2 months in jail would make a pretty damn big impact.

But I strongly feel like the Federal Government (of whatever country) should be seeking to try and recruit these Black Hat's. Turning them into a force for good and a force for protection. How many times has the US, or US based companies been hacked in the last 5 years? How many of them are then traced to foreign countries like China? China takes it's cyber security and cyber warfare way more serious than the US does. I know this is about Finland, but never the less, western governments in general should be much more aggressive with trying to convert these hackers (after forcing them to serve punishment) into a useful force for society.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Daybreak Games servers have been under consistent DDos by these tools for the past 4 hours.  All DBG games are offline

They go easy on this kid, yet they'd gladly try to lock someone up for over a year for pirating a few songs. 

ಠ_ಠ

Have in mind that that's Finnish, not american law. I don't think I've ever heard about them going after pirates US style.

Finnish law enforcement is targeting re-socializing rather than punishment. Works better and is much cheaper in the long run ^^

Well having probation itself is a form of punishment. His computer activities will be monitored the entire time. His freedom itself is restricted.

I personally think a short stint in prison may be a good idea - but perhaps only a few months. People might scoff at that, but for a 17 year old, 2 months in jail would make a pretty damn big impact.

But I strongly feel like the Federal Government (of whatever country) should be seeking to try and recruit these Black Hat's. Turning them into a force for good and a force for protection. How many times has the US, or US based companies been hacked in the last 5 years? How many of them are then traced to foreign countries like China? China takes it's cyber security and cyber warfare way more serious than the US does. I know this is about Finland, but never the less, western governments in general should be much more aggressive with trying to convert these hackers (after forcing them to serve punishment) into a useful force for society.

I suppose that's their general idea - hoping this talented guy will outgrow his brat stage and become useful

How did he get caught?

I believe he did an interview with Sky News and appeared on UK TV just after the Christmas DDOS attacks.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)