Experiences with non-techies

What happened after that?

I told him he had to let Windows update finish installing the updates, that forcing it to shutdown wasn't good and that it would create more problems, etc ... he insisted it was fine, "it's not that bad", bla bla bla (pretty much stopped listening)

I basically didn't helped him since he didn't want to listen, don't know if he still has that laptop or if he still force shutdown the thing, so as soon as I heard him arguing me I decided I wouldn't help. I'm not paid for this shit!

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

I told him he had to let Windows update finish installing the updates, that forcing it to shutdown wasn't good and that it would create more problems, etc ... he insisted it was fine, "it's not that bad", bla bla bla (pretty much stopped listening)

I basically didn't helped him since he didn't want to listen, don't know if he still has that laptop or if he still force shutdown the thing, so as soon as I heard him arguing me I decided I wouldn't help. I'm not paid for this shit!

I don't get people who act like that. It's fucking annoying.

Basically

1: Win 7 is shit, it has slow boot time. bla, bla, bla.

2: It's not OS's fault you shut it down installing updates so you are the problem here.

1: It's not that bad.

How can you fucking change your mind that quickly ? If it's not that bad, don't bitch about it in the first place. :D

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

I don't get people who act like that. It's fucking annoying.

Basically

1: Win 7 is shit, it has slow boot time. bla, bla, bla.

2: It's not OS's fault you shut it down installing updates so you are the problem here.

1: It's not that bad.

How can you fucking change your mind that quickly ? If it's not that bad, don't bitch about it in the first place. :D

that's why I didn't help, not sure if it's brain cell missing or medication but some people are just ... 

especially with force shutdown during updates, it's written in big to NOT turn off the computer, seriously!!

*sigh*

that's why I didn't help, not sure if it's brain cell missing or medication but some people are just ... 

especially with force shutdown during updates, it's written in big to NOT turn off the computer, seriously!!

*sigh*

I wouldn't help either

It's because - ain't no computer gonna tell me what to do!

One thing I also don't understand, is how much luck these people have. If I would to shut it down during update, it would corrupt the OS completely, these people do it all the time and it still works... well it doesn't work great but still. :D

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

I'm not exactly sure.

The user has the option to turn most of these spy features off and they agree to it when they agree to the agreement.

But most users don't read that so if it collects data without their knowledge, then MSX might be a SpySystem?

I'm open to others opinions.

Before installing windows 10 I read the entire EULA. They did not mention all of the extra 'spying' functionality which is being discovered now. Technically illegal imo and MS has lost every last ounce of my trust. Me and the majority of my computing class have already began switching to various flavours of Linux.

Speedtests

WiFi - 7ms, 22Mb down, 10Mb up

Ethernet - 6ms, 47.5Mb down, 9.7Mb up

Rigs

Spoiler

Type            Desktop

OS              Windows 10 Pro

CPU             i5-4430S

RAM             8GB CORSAIR XMS3 (2x4gb)

Cooler          LC Power LC-CC-97 65W

Motherboard     ASUS H81M-PLUS

GPU             GeForce GTX 1060

Storage         120GB Sandisk SSD (boot), 750GB Seagate 2.5" (storage), 500GB Seagate 2.5" SSHD (cache)

Spoiler

Type            Server

OS              Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

CPU             Core 2 Duo E6320

RAM             2GB Non-ECC

Motherboard     ASUS P5VD2-MX SE

Storage         RAID 1: 250GB WD Blue and Seagate Barracuda

Uses            Webserver, NAS, Mediaserver, Database Server

Quotes of Fame

On 8/27/2015 at 10:09 AM, Drixen said:

Linus is light years ahead a lot of other YouTubers, he isn't just an average YouTuber.. he's legitimately, legit.

On 10/11/2015 at 11:36 AM, Geralt said:

When something is worth doing, it's worth overdoing.

On 6/22/2016 at 10:05 AM, trag1c said:

It's completely blown out of proportion. Also if you're the least bit worried about data gathering then you should go live in a cave a 1000Km from the nearest establishment simply because every device and every entity gathers information these days. In the current era privacy is just fallacy and nothing more.

Before installing windows 10 I read the entire EULA. They did not mention all of the extra 'spying' functionality which is being discovered now. Technically illegal imo and MS has lost every last ounce of my trust. Me and the majority of my computing class have already began switching to various flavours of Linux.

I have not read the EULA, I assumed that it would be in there.  That is very interesting.  I agree with you then, that does seem Illegal.  

Main Rig: 

i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz w/ H75 Liquid CPU Cooler - Asus Maximus VII Hero - 16GB G.Skill Triedent X 2133MHz RAM - 2x Gtx 660s in SLI - 120GB Crucial SSD - 1TB WD HDD NZXT Hue - K70 RGB Keyboard - Corsair Sabre RGB - Windows 8.1 - 2x Asus VN247H-P 1080p Monitors (I'm a sucker for lighting effects)

Server: 

FX 8350 @ 4.0GHz w/ stock cooler - 8GB Crucial 1600MHz RAM - AMD Radeon HD 7450 GPU - 300W PSU - 120GB SSD - Windows 7

What extra spying is not mentioned in the EULA? Do you mean the ones that do not exist and are just misunderstandings of the Microsoft Services Agreement blown up by mainstream media?

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

What extra spying is not mentioned in the EULA? Do you mean the ones that do not exist and are just misunderstandings of the Microsoft Services Agreement blown up by mainstream media?

The EULA was ridiculously short and did not even mention Microsoft collecting all typed keyboard input by default. There was an option to opt out of the "Make Windows Better" rubbish (this programme makes no sense anymore, since MS now has the 'insiders' as data prostitutes, no offence tongue.png) on the pre-install screen, but no options provided to disable the keyboard input collection as well as other various privacy switches in that control panel section.

mfRQdzT.png

I use both the on screen keyboard (with my graphics tablet occasionally) as well as my physical keyboard, so either way MS definitely have some of my passwords >_> all of which I have changed by now. I have also enabled extensive logging on my home network so I can keep a close eye on what MS is doing to my laptop. As much as the Windows 10 UI looks good, there will be some features I'll miss (such as running windows apps on the desktop like a normal program) as well as the new redesigned start menu - but I can't settle for something I have miniscule control over. Microsoft didn't even include the group policy editor, and it takes more than just a few registry tweaks to get control over your system. Group Policy Editor was on my system before the upgrade, and now it just says the application isn't found. Sideloading GPE doesn't work as it just throws a different error and closes.

Some of the spyware that MS has included in Windows 10 may or may not be on purpose, some may be just left in from the testing - but the fact that they are still there is raising eyebrows. If MS is collecting data from my system, depending on what it is (things like how long I use my system & what programs I use while it's on is fine as long as they make clear the extent of data that is actually being collected) but currently their choice on collecting a wide range of data under an 'improvement programme/make windows better' is just unacceptable. Google collects data, quite a lot of it and quite frequently - but they actually let you know what is happening and when it's happening(in my case). A frequent example would be the notification popup on my phone when they are updating my location on Google Now, and Android Device Manager. I am able to access that location data under my Google account when I log in from a computer. Google also collects information on what articles I like to read (You set these manually at the start, then google's prediction takes over), as well as YouTube channels I watch frequently (Some people may find these intrusive) and deliver suggested content via notifications or Google Now. I have left the features on as I find the suggested content to be of my interest. These can however be turned off in both YouTube settings and Google Now settings.

7smOuOK.png

6wwRNqA.png

Straight blue line down the middle caused by other devices logged into the same account in different places

As far as I have seen, MS doesn't allow a user to pick what extent of data can be shared, or even allow the user to access that data at a given time - maybe that user may want to view their browsing habits, or view what programs they use often. I personally prefer Windows 8.1 because I've been using it since the early developer preview and I have a licensed key for the pro version that I haven't used yet - I'm planning on dual booting that as a secondary OS alongside Elementary Linux.

I'm personally the kind of person who likes to know the guts of how something works, or I simply won't trust it. Windows 10 appears to have so much going on behind the scenes that it's ridiculous. My hard drive was never being consumed 90% of the time by rundll32 when I was running Windows 8.1. Only since moving to Windows 10, my hard drive is literally always ticking away with rundll32 being the culprit. For those wondering, rundll32 is Microsoft's program used to run system applications, such as windows background updates and the win98-style personalisation panel. I would be scared to use Windows 10 on an SSD. It does way too much reading and writing pointlessly to the storage drive. The majority of the time I check resource manager, the System process is having a peek at Firefox's 300MB data cache folder (I don't know why at all, Windows 8.1 never used to do this - and Firefox accesses that data in resource manager under it's own process name - and I disabled Windows Search...). I think you generally get the idea of what I'm getting at.

In my opinion, Windows 10 is great for casual home users who don't want to worry about their computer getting infected or compromised - at the loss of effective control over settings for power users. For me personally, that control loss is a deal breaker. Had I waited a bit longer for before upgrading to Windows 10 I wouldn't have done it at all. I have enough difficulty fighting with Windows Update preventing it from installing shitty generic drivers instead of ASUS's official ones. When Windows updated my touchpad driver to some ELAN bullshit, I noticed the change immediately. Scrolling, moving the mouse around and even just clicking things felt laggy and lifeless. Device manager even has built-in functionality to select your own drivers to be used on a device, in my case I use generic drivers for my laptop speakers - just because they support a wider frequency range compared to the Realtek drivers, and it have a bunch of enhancements including Bass Boost, which is shitty on the realtek driver. Despite manually selecting that driver about 3 times already, Windows Update insists I use Realtek drivers. To be honest, I haven't restarted my laptop for weeks - simply because no restart = no driver update. Shutdown for me means either hibernate or sleep.

Anyways, before my response which turned into a rant goes too far from the original point, I'll just end it here.

Speedtests

WiFi - 7ms, 22Mb down, 10Mb up

Ethernet - 6ms, 47.5Mb down, 9.7Mb up

Rigs

Spoiler

Type            Desktop

OS              Windows 10 Pro

CPU             i5-4430S

RAM             8GB CORSAIR XMS3 (2x4gb)

Cooler          LC Power LC-CC-97 65W

Motherboard     ASUS H81M-PLUS

GPU             GeForce GTX 1060

Storage         120GB Sandisk SSD (boot), 750GB Seagate 2.5" (storage), 500GB Seagate 2.5" SSHD (cache)

Spoiler

Type            Server

OS              Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

CPU             Core 2 Duo E6320

RAM             2GB Non-ECC

Motherboard     ASUS P5VD2-MX SE

Storage         RAID 1: 250GB WD Blue and Seagate Barracuda

Uses            Webserver, NAS, Mediaserver, Database Server

Quotes of Fame

On 8/27/2015 at 10:09 AM, Drixen said:

Linus is light years ahead a lot of other YouTubers, he isn't just an average YouTuber.. he's legitimately, legit.

On 10/11/2015 at 11:36 AM, Geralt said:

When something is worth doing, it's worth overdoing.

On 6/22/2016 at 10:05 AM, trag1c said:

It's completely blown out of proportion. Also if you're the least bit worried about data gathering then you should go live in a cave a 1000Km from the nearest establishment simply because every device and every entity gathers information these days. In the current era privacy is just fallacy and nothing more.

One of my teachers asked me to upgrade her computer yesterday because it is running very slow. When I told her that part of the reason could be viruses and malware, though component age is a major factor, she said viruses wouldn't be a problem because she has several antivirus programs...

*facepalm*

I've built 3 PC's, but none for myself... In fact, I'm using an iMac that my dad bought for me as my desktop. Awkward...

Please don't say "SSD drive." By doing so, you are literally saying "Solid State Drive Drive" and causing my brain cells to commit suicide. The same applies to HDD (Hard Disk Drive) and PCIe (Peripheral Component Interconnect Express).

One of my teachers asked me to upgrade her computer yesterday because it is running very slow. When I told her that part of the reason could be viruses and malware, though component age is a major factor, she said viruses wouldn't be a problem because she has several antivirus programs...

*facepalm*

Give those people examples, sometimes it helps.

You are basically saying that because you have airbags, you can't get into accident. When you are lucky and not talking to a complete ignoramus something switches and they understand. :)

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

*facepalm*

The irony here is that I actually installed 3 adblocks that will hog up my ram, but I still recommend people not get multiple antivirus programs

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

The irony here is that I actually installed 3 adblocks that will hog up my ram, but I still recommend people not get multiple antivirus programs

cant-tell-if-trolling-or-serious-thumb.j

So this kid in my school thinks he knows a lot about building PC's, and he said he built one for a friend. I asked the specs. Anyways, he's either lying or made a huge mistake.

He said that he got his friend an AMD A6 (He might have meant FX 6300, either way who knows.) And an R9 Fury. Also a Micro ATX motherboard for overclocking.

He said that it wouldn't bottleneck at all, after I said "Dude thats not a good idea, the GPU is going to be bottlenecked really badly by the CPU" He just replied with no you're wrong and kept trying to fight what I said. It was pretty funny.

What do you think about this?

Any things like this happen to you?

So this kid in my school thinks he knows a lot about building PC's, and he said he built one for a friend. I asked the specs. Anyways, he's either lying or made a huge mistake.

He said that he got his friend an AMD A6 (He might have meant FX 6300, either way who knows.) And an R9 Fury. Also a Micro ATX motherboard for overclocking.

He said that it wouldn't bottleneck at all, after I said "Dude thats not a good idea, the GPU is going to be bottlenecked really badly by the CPU" He just replied with no you're wrong and kept trying to fight what I said. It was pretty funny.

What do you think about this?

Any things like this happen to you?

there is an amd a6 apu

He might've meant the AMD A6 series APU's

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113282

Intel Core i7-5820K (4.4 GHz) | Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  | 2x 360mm Custom Loop (Noctua iPPC) | ASRock X99 Extreme6 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | Fractal Design Define S | Corsair HX750 | Windows 10 | Corsair M65 RGB PRO | Corsair K70 RGB LUX (CherryMX Brown) | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro & Creative Sound Blaster Z | Nexus 6P (32GB Aluminium) | Check out my setup: Project Kalte Here!

There are people who could use a little more knowledge and less ignorance out there...

What I think?

Move on, not your money, not your PC, not your issue.

FX-6300 or A6 APU, either way, it will seriously bottleneck the Fury

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

Some kid was getting a skylake build just so he could get really high frequency memory.

I told him, "No, that makes no difference in gaming" and he said "Yes it does"

and it wasn't even his computer he was making!

(He is also known as the person to ask about computers)

Some kid was getting a skylake build just so he could get really high frequency memory.

I told him, "No, that makes no difference in gaming" and he said "Yes it does"

and it wasn't even his computer he was making!

(He is also known as the person to ask about computers)

I love ignorant people when they realize their computer is shit.

It pisses me off greatly, too. Oh well, can't have the good without the bad.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

Another case of "Ignorance is bliss" HceHdrn.png

Guess people will never learn...

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Happens, when those types refuse to listen I just leave them to wallow in their ignorance. Mainly because of the chance that I get to see the backlash that can result from them helping someone and that person finding out that their "expert" didnt know what they were talking about and made them waste money. When it happens it always gives me a warm fuzzy feeling inside.

"The of and to a in is I that it for you was with on as have but be they"

idk why people insist on belittling others when they're trying to share their accomplishments

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

I love ignorant people when they realize their computer is shit.

It pisses me off greatly, too. Oh well, can't have the good without the bad.

He does know a fair bit, but he fakes it a lot too.

He was going to get a new motherboard for a Core2 Duo laptop! (Waste of $100)