Experiences with non-techies

Because then they'll start asking me for advice even though they've already had their mind set. Also, how is it whining when I shake my head at their remark? You don't absolutely need a Mac for those faculties, much the same way you don't absolutely need a Windows or Linux machine. Any of the three platforms will work. And I'm generally directing this towards Apple users because they always seem to be the ones running around asking for advice and countering that advice with "oh but Siri is better.", "oh but Macs don't get viruses.", "oh but professionals use them." . That is what bugs me.

By them asking for advice they are just getting a different persons perspective that won't be heavily biased towards apple products.

Most of the time they will have their mind set on a certain product but if it doesn't include a feature set that something you might suggest has, and they require it they will go for what you said.

It's just like asking someone for help on your rig for what GPU to get, they recommend a nVidia card but you sum up the pros and cons and decide to go AMD.

A lot of people who use Apple products only do so because they like the premium finish and the OS, but if what they are purchasing doesn't have a feature that maybe a non-apple product has they will go and get the non-apple product.

It's the consumer mind, and no matter how butthurt you get about it, you will never be able to change it.

Scrapyard Build Total Cost: $268AUD

C2Q E8200 | 4 x 1gb DDR2 | GA-EP45-DS3 r1 | Gammax 200 | 320gb 2.5" | 7870LE PCS | Litepower 500w | CISCO Aironet 350

By them asking for advice they are just getting a different persons perspective that won't be heavily biased towards apple products.

Most of the time they will have their mind set on a certain product but if it doesn't include a feature set that something you might suggest has, and they require it they will go for what you said.

It's just like asking someone for help on your rig for what GPU to get, they recommend a nVidia card but you sum up the pros and cons and decide to go AMD.

A lot of people who use Apple products only do so because they like the premium finish and the OS, but if what they are purchasing doesn't have a feature that maybe a non-apple product has they will go and get the non-apple product.

It's the consumer mind, and no matter how butthurt you get about it, you will never be able to change it.

Ok. I'm going to say this once and for all. At no point I am butt hurt or whining. Get that through your head. Annoyed and butt hurt are two different things. When somebody completely wastes my time and effort researching stuff for them, that's when I'm annoyed. When you ask people what to buy, you should not be already locked onto one product. You can have products in mind, but never committed to one. If you're already committed to a product at the time of asking for advice, you're not asking for advice, you're just seeking for people to approve and make you feel good.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

Ok. I'm going to say this once and for all. At no point I am butt hurt or whining. Get that through your head. Annoyed and butt hurt are two different things. When somebody completely wastes my time and effort researching stuff for them, that's when I'm annoyed. When you ask people what to buy, you should not be already locked onto one product. You can have products in mind, but never committed to one. If you're already committed to a product at the time of asking for advice, you're not asking for advice, you're just seeking for people to approve and make you feel good.

Well it seems to me that you are being in fact, very butthurt about this topic.

Like I said in my previous reply, most of the time that isn't the case at all.

If you learnt to read half as much as you try to shove your beliefs down people's throat you would realise that there is always 2 sides to the situation.

Scrapyard Build Total Cost: $268AUD

C2Q E8200 | 4 x 1gb DDR2 | GA-EP45-DS3 r1 | Gammax 200 | 320gb 2.5" | 7870LE PCS | Litepower 500w | CISCO Aironet 350

This thread can get de-railed faster then the Polar Express.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

Well it seems to me that you are being in fact, very butthurt about this topic.

Like I said in my previous reply, most of the time that isn't the case at all.

If you learnt to read half as much as you try to shove your beliefs down people's throat you would realise that there is always 2 sides to the situation.

Well it seems to me you're plain ignorant. Where did I imply that I shove my beliefs down people's throat? If you stop taking things completely out of context that would be great.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

snip

snip

both of you can feel free to discuss this via PM. getting tired of seeing the new post star on this thread only to see more pointless bickering

This thread can get de-railed faster then the Polar Express.

Love it, so true.

On topic, I just got a call from a friend saying that her brother dropped her laptop a couple of inches and now her computer boots to the Windows repair page. Figured it was probably a partial hard drive failure, started walking her through running some basic diagnostic in diskpart before I broke the bad news. Her brother interrupts us and informs her that he actually didn't drop it, he deleted a virus. Anyone wanna guess the name of the virus? Hint: It's a virus because the twitch chat told him so.

system32

Just a guy who peaked at building back in the days of the GTX 980. If you see me here, assume i have technical knowledge akin to a committed hobbyist builder back then. If something's changed, you'll need to tell me(nicely plz). I'm probably asking for help with the modern build scene since I have no clue what's going on.

Love it, so true.

On topic, I just got a call from a friend saying that her brother dropped her laptop a couple of inches and now her computer boots to the Windows repair page. Figured it was probably a partial hard drive failure, started walking her through running some basic diagnostic in diskpart before I broke the bad news. Her brother interrupts us and informs her that he actually didn't drop it, he deleted a virus. Anyone wanna guess the name of the virus? Hint: It's a virus because the twitch chat told him so.

system32

hey, aren't you the guy from YIAY?

"Never quote yourself"

-I need a better name

Love it, so true.

system32

The worst computer users are the ones who blatantly click on or delete anything without knowing what in the hell they're doing.

The worst computer users are the ones who blatantly click on or delete anything without knowing what in the hell they're doing.

People like this shouldn't be allowed near a calculator.

The Dude's PC Build<p>i5 4690k @ 3.5ghz w/ The Crappy Intel Stock Cooler | Asus Z97-K | 8GB Corsair Vengance LP DDR3 RAM @ 1600mhz |1TB Seagate Barracuda + 120GB Samsung Evo SSD | Gigabyte Windforce R9 290 4GB | 650 Watt CoolerMaster Gaming Series PSU | Bitfenix Shinobi Windowed | BenQ GL2460 | Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Brown | Razer Naga Hex Wraith Red gaming mouse | A £0.63 mouse pad from artcow.com

People like this shouldn't be allowed near a calculator.

Why not? 

Love it, so true.

system32

twitch, 4chan, anonymous, and presumably reddit, keeping the internet free of idiots since 1 october 2003

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

hey, aren't you the guy from YIAY?

I got on yiay once. Bonus points if you know how question/my answer

Just a guy who peaked at building back in the days of the GTX 980. If you see me here, assume i have technical knowledge akin to a committed hobbyist builder back then. If something's changed, you'll need to tell me(nicely plz). I'm probably asking for help with the modern build scene since I have no clue what's going on.

twitch, 4chan, anonymous, and presumably reddit, keeping the internet free of idiots since 1 october 2003

what happened 1 October 2003?

the Asrock extreme4 is a good motherboard lol

Have an Asrock.... I regret everything.

CPU: R7 1700 @ 3.875GHz/1.335v , GPU: Fury Nitro.

what happened 1 October 2003?

4chan launched, starting the age of trolls and the"remove sys32" joke

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

I got on yiay once. Bonus points if you know how question/my answer

YIAY #73

"Soft drink dispenser like that new with a touchscreen, but for bleach."

"Never quote yourself"

-I need a better name

God this just happened at school....

"How do you copy paste something?"

"What?? You're joking right?"

"Dude no..... I'm being serious."

ZMaL9wB_700w_0.jpg

F*cking Control+C and Control+V

Where I hang out: The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

My cars: 2006 Mazda RX-8 (MT) | 2014 Mazda 6 (AT) | 2009 Honda Jazz (AT)

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold

Just had to explain to my college teacher that just because the work sheets are PDF, that does not mean we couldn't edit them in word.

My AMD Build:

Spoiler

FX 6300 @ 4.8GHz, Zalman CNPS14X, MSI 970 Gaming, 16gb 1866MHz AData Ram, 3D Club R9 280X, Corsair 600M Psu, Thermaltake V3 AMD Edition Case, D-link 1200AC WiFi, 240gb Mushkin SSD, 2tb WD HDD, 140gb WD HDD (recording gameplay), 5x CoolerMaster SickleFlow 120mm fans, Windows 10 64Bit

Sisters Intel Build:

Spoiler

I7 4790k @ 4.4GHz, CoolerMaster 212 Evo, Gigabyte Gaming 5, 16gb 1866MHz Corsair Ram, 3D Club R9 390, EVGA 650GS Psu, NZXT S340 Case, D-Link 1200AC WiFi Card, HyperX 240gb SSD, 2tb WD HDD, Windows 10 64 Bit

But he was right.... about the HDD getting heavier that is. The extra weight is so small you can't measure it, but it is there.

hem... i don't know if you know something i dont but i always thought the only thing modified in your HDD was the way the disc is magnetized... so...

R5 3600x | RTX 3070 | 16Gb 3200mhz | Gigabyte B550 gaming x | 500gb 660p SSD + 1tb wd blue HDD |

hem... i don't know if you know something i dont but i always thought the only thing modified in your HDD was the way the disc is magnetized... so...

Oh god... Please don't start this again...

Pentium G3258, R9 280X, Corsair CS600M, Gigabyte GA-H81M-H, 2 Random monitors, a no-name keyboard, a cheap $15 Logitech mouse.

LG G3 Vigor

God this just happened at school....

"How do you copy paste something?"

"What?? You're joking right?"

"Dude no..... I'm being serious."

ZMaL9wB_700w_0.jpg

F*cking Control+C and Control+V

same happened at school today.

I'm in year 10 and there was a year 7 in the same computer room as me, he had to get over the library attendant person (basically teachers take it in turns to watch over computer room and library as they are connected) to ask how to copy an image. A classmate who is in no way a techie looked over to me and started laughing. You know it's bad when a non techie laughs at a person for something tech related.

My mother calls me, saying the laptop she bought for my father was he worst, and that it wasn't worth what they payed for, so i asked her why did she say that, and maybe say what is wrong so i could fix it, and she answers: "the trackpad is so bad the cursor sticks and everything"...

i bought her a mouse... this laptop suddenly became the best computer she ever bought...

R5 3600x | RTX 3070 | 16Gb 3200mhz | Gigabyte B550 gaming x | 500gb 660p SSD + 1tb wd blue HDD |

Mom just asked me to install Google Maps on her computer, I think I'm going to cry lol. I told her to Google it...

You could also create a shortcut to maps.google.com and tell her it's installed.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch