Experiences with non-techies

2 minutes ago, wat3rmelon_man2 said:

"But EA made fortnite"

-kid in the hall this morning

Perhaps he thinks EA stands for Epic Games?

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

I have another. I found a sale for a used pc on ebay that was missing the pcie slot covers... the item description said "Missing the little vent covers on the back but works perfectly!" uhhh those aren't vents?

I once talked with a couple of dudes about Steam Games in a group IRL and some girls were apparently listening. At the end one girl was asking me if I were a Streamer. like yes Steam = Streaming

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

30 minutes ago, soldier_ph said:

I once talked with a couple of dudes about Steam Games in a group IRL and some girls were apparently listening. At the end one girl was asking me if I were a Streamer. like yes Steam = Streaming

I'll be honest, it's not exactly a stretch.  A lot of people associate video games with streaming independent of the confusion of Steam =/= stream

It's entirely possible that I misinterpreted/misread your topic and/or question. This happens more often than I care to admit. Apologies in advance.

珠江 (Pearl River): CPU: Intel i7-12700K (8p4e/20t); Motherboard: ASUS TUF Gaming Plus Z690 WiFi; RAM: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 @3200MHz CL16; Cooling Solution: NZXT Kraken Z53 240mm AIO, w/ 2x Lian Li ST120 RGB Fans; GPU: EVGA Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 10GB FTW3 Ultra; Storage: Samsung 980 Pro, 1TB; Samsung 970 EVO, 1TB; Crucial MX500, 2TB; PSU: Corsair RM850x; Case: Lian Li Lancool II Mesh RGB, Black; Display(s): Primary: ASUS ROG Swift PG279QM (1440p 27" 240 Hz); Secondary: Acer Predator XB1 XB241H bmipr (1080p 24" 144 Hz, 165 Hz OC); Case Fans: 1x Lian Li ST120 RGB Fan, 3x stock RGB fans; Capture Card: Elgato HD60 Pro

翻生 (Resurrection): CPU: 2x Intel Xeon E5-2620 v2; Motherboard: ASUS Z9PR-D12 (C602 chipset) SSI-EEB; RAM: Crucial 32GB (8x4GB) DDR3 ECC RAM; Cooling Solution: 2x Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO; GPU: ASRock Intel ARC A380 Challenger ITX; StorageCrucial MX500, 500GB; PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750W; Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro; Expansion Card: TP-Link Archer T4E AC1200 PCIe Wi-Fi Adapter Display(s): Dell P2214HB (1080p 22" 60 Hz)

壯麗 (Glorious): Mainboard: Framework Mainboard w/ Intel Core i5-1135G7; RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 SODIMM @3200MHz CL22; eGPU: Razer Core X eGPU Enclosure w/ (between GPUs at the moment); Storage: Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 1TB; Display(s): Internal Display: Framework Display; External Display: Acer (unknown model) (1080p, 21" 75 Hz)

2 hours ago, soldier_ph said:

Dude just roll with it, a girl was talking to you!

Smokers PC's are the nastiest, as bad as smokers cars. You should invest in an air compressor for blowing them out outside, just make sure the fans don't spin. Chopsticks work great to hold the blades still while blowing. I got this one for doing tires and dusting and it's super silent.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CKRLKM9

Like quieter than a vacuum cleaner, I can talk at a normal volume when I'm using it.

6 minutes ago, Schnoz said:

I use disposable air dusters, but I should definitely get a non-disposable air compressor, as I blow through them very quickly. Thing is, no amount of compressed air gets rid of the yellowing or the terrible smell. Literally pickling the thing in isopropyl alcohol works to some extent, but that stench is usually there to stay despite my best attempts.,

Retrobright my friend, google that one.

I helped out with the computer stuff at a local nonprofit organization. The person who ran it once asked me if i could show them "that trick I know." It took me 30 minutes to figure out what they meant, but it was copy and paste.

Daily Driver (Lenovo Y700 Laptop)

Manjaro Linux  ||||  Intel Core i7-6700HQ  ||||  16GB DDR4-2666    ||||   GeForce GTX 960m  

250GB Samsung 970 Evo | 500GB Samung 840 Evo 

Windows Gaming PC

Windows 10 Pro  |||   Intel Core i7-10700k  |||   32GB DDR4-3600  |||   GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER  |||   MSI z490 A-Pro  |||   EVGA Supernova G2 650w 80+ Gold

120GB SSD | 1TB WD Blue 7200RPM

Bedroom HTPC and Emulation Box

Manjaro Linux  ||||   Intel Xeon E3-1231v3  ||||   8GB DDR3-1333  |||  Radeon RX 460   |||  Asus B85M-G

120GB SSD

Living Room HTPC - Optiplex 790 SFF

Manjaro Linux  |||  Intel Core i5-2400  |||  8GB DDR3-1333  |||  Radeon HD 5450

120GB SSD

21 minutes ago, starry said:

I helped out with the computer stuff at a local nonprofit organization. The person who ran it once asked me if i could show them "that trick I know." It took me 30 minutes to figure out what they meant, but it was copy and paste.

My teacher was amazed by Ctrl w.

I also memorized all the shortcuts

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

The sheer amount of people who think that falling for broadcast exploits like ads with malware, or games or apps with payloads, is being 'hacked' is staggering. They think if a device is compromised, there's some single person that did it, and that they are 'out to get them'. This ain't the movies, and you fell for a simple trap. Some sleazy company or group is just wanting to make money off of your ineptitude or naivete, not a villain specifically interested in attacking you personally.

I think we need a better term for this kind of thing, and not abide people calling it being 'hacked'.

49 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Smokers PC's are the nastiest, as bad as smokers cars. You should invest in an air compressor for blowing them out outside, just make sure the fans don't spin. Chopsticks work great to hold the blades still while blowing. I got this one for doing tires and dusting and it's super silent.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CKRLKM9

Like quieter than a vacuum cleaner, I can talk at a normal volume when I'm using it.

44 minutes ago, Schnoz said:

I use disposable air dusters, but I should definitely get a non-disposable air compressor, as I blow through them very quickly. Thing is, no amount of compressed air gets rid of the yellowing or the terrible smell. Literally pickling the thing in isopropyl alcohol works to some extent, but that stench is usually there to stay despite my best attempts.,

Something like this? 😄

Spoiler

5badde102b913_AirCompressorvsPC-2017-08-22a-CPUCooler.thumb.jpg.391fa58bcbf2be1f16ae59b37444a17f.jpg5badde141694e_AirCompressorvsPC-2017-08-22b-VideoCard.thumb.jpg.7b24e52be3e349cf8df5f51688e13a89.jpg

The one we had before that (when I was a kid - born 1981; I think we got this one when I was in my late teens or 20s, I forget now) was fairly loud, but this one is capable of tripping the MAIN 100-amp breaker for the entire property when powered on.  (We've found that plugging it into a particular outlet in the living room, near where my computer is (but not the same one and probably not the same circuit), seems to work.  BTW the house was built in 1962 and not all the outlets are grounded. I presume newer houses would have less of an issue.)

Similar but much smaller and nearly silent. Also make sure you keep those fans from spinning up when blowing, can shed a blade or burn the fan controller if it induces current/voltage into it.

5 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Similar but much smaller and nearly silent. Also make sure you keep those fans from spinning up when blowing, can shed a blade or burn the fan controller if it induces current/voltage into it.

Ahh, and probably much newer too.  (Also when I took that picture, the compressor wasn't even plugged in, I was just staging the picture.)

3 minutes ago, NZgamer said:

I don't know why people even smoke indoors in the first place

Before my biological maternal grandmother passed away (around 2000 or so IIRC, multiple myeloma / bone cancer), when she came to visit from Massachusetts, my mom would have her smoke outside (grandma was a smoker), usually on the patio or just beyond that.  (It's got a roof over it, but otherwise open, with a couple posts supporting the roof across the long edge.)

Spoiler

1744534315_backpationear-yardarea2020-11-062106.thumb.JPG.47cb3e70a5e1918b122b8bae4a4849d6.JPG

Basically my best friend who is too "scared" to build his own PC and went for a $2000 ROG Strix prebuilt back in 2017 with only 8GB ram and a 1070.

Later finding out the PC isn't made up completely of ROG Strix parts and wanting to upgrade. That happens when you don't take up any advice and overspend.

Oddly he can fix and mod things like his Nintendo DS and Gameboys, using tutorials, but still...

Oh yeah, until this day he is also too afraid to clean his PC internals.

10 hours ago, NZgamer said:

I don't know why people even smoke indoors in the first place

Dude, people used to smoke inside my highschool (ah the 80's and 90's ! lol)

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

1 minute ago, wkdpaul said:

Back in high school 2015-2019, I'd see kids vaping all inside the bathroom, especially while transitioning between classes. I hated them as all I can smell is this shit smell - like it was chlorine gas or something 😄. It got so bad, they had to lock all the bathrooms and leave one open closest to the two lunch rooms with a security guard standing outside. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

6 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

My parents were in high school during that time and that happened to

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

43 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

two years ago in my school, a bunch of high school kids left some cigarettes in the water sprinkler thingies on the roof making the water literally nicotine, and it too a couple of weeks to fix

What to Call Various Services on the Computer

compiled by my teachers

-any slideshow = powerpoint (we don't even use powerpoint we use google slides, ew)

-Any video call = FaceTime

-Any messaging service, including email = texting

My school blocks alot.

But GitHub isn't one of them nor billi billi (chinese youtube) they do block nico video (japan youtube)

So this is me watching SACRA music festival  and a friend playing a pokemon emulator from GitHub on school chromebook on school network. 

IMG_20210406_100854.jpg

Pc's

Spoiler

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

My mom told me to uninstall Cinema 4D because "she didn't want me watching movies on my computer". I had to explain to her that Cinema 4D is an animation/rendering software, and I did not build a 16 core workstation for a streaming service.

lol

"Use a VPN, it [stops advertisers tracking you] / [makes you less likely to get a virus] / [stops hackers stealing your password] !"

--- people who think that watching a 30 second Nord ad and misinterpreting the already dubious claims in it makes them some kind of expert in cybersecurity

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

My mom's pretty tech literate, but about 6 years ago, I got Minecraft for Christmas.

I put it on the ASUS laptop (which is dead) and then we started getting receipts for Kindle books from Amazon.

They were sus of Minecraft since it was just installed, but guess what it was?

Spoiler

It was my younger brother on my mom's Kindle in the Kindle Store, buying everything!

elephants