Experiences with non-techies

On 4/6/2021 at 7:13 PM, sub68 said:

My school blocks alot.

But GitHub isn't one of them nor billi billi (chinese youtube) they do block nico video (japan youtube)

So this is me watching SACRA music festival  and a friend playing a pokemon emulator from GitHub on school chromebook on school network. 

IMG_20210406_100854.jpg

even quora is blocked on mine

4 hours ago, Ankh Tech said:

even quora is blocked on mine

That's very werid

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

On 4/6/2021 at 10:30 AM, wat3rmelon_man2 said:

What to Call Various Services on the Computer

compiled by my teachers

-any slideshow = powerpoint (we don't even use powerpoint we use google slides, ew)

-Any video call = FaceTime

-Any messaging service, including email = texting

That's a perfectly normal thing to do. It's called genericized trademark.

image.thumb.png.7acb534c2c56fb8580437921f142605c.png

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

I had to get my files off my grandmother's eMac a few years back. Keep in mind she hadn't turned it on in 3 years because one day the fan turned on and she thought it was "going to explode", so she just used her ipad for like 3 whole years. She used to know a bit about computers in the 80's, turns out, but not all of her knowledge carried over. She wanted me to "wipe the ram" so that no one could "hack it". I explained how ram was erased when the machine was turned off and what a HDD was.

Edit: I kept the emac after a reset and still use it, I love the CRT, and I need a mac to test code i write on my pc 🙂

OK so I just remembered another. Being a 2000s kid, naturally we learned in preschool (3,4,5 years old?) how to load a top loading CD player, they didn't trust us with slot loading or tray loading. There were like 5 or 6 cds in the classroom that you could listen to at any time. One day I cut a piece of paper into a circle and wrote my own song on it thinking it would play.

It didn't and I cried.

Guy at works hears I'm helping another co worker build a computer. "What brand are you going with?" "AMD CPU, going to try to get an AMD GPU, but might have to go NVIDIA" "So Dell?"

The old welders are fun.

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

On 4/6/2021 at 5:13 PM, sub68 said:

My school blocks alot.

But GitHub isn't one of them nor billi billi (chinese youtube) they do block nico video (japan youtube)

So this is me watching SACRA music festival  and a friend playing a pokemon emulator from GitHub on school chromebook on school network. 

IMG_20210406_100854.jpg

Those things are horrifying ahah

Desktop - i5-9600KF @4.8GHz all core, MSI Z390-A PRO, 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz, MSI GTX 1660S OC 6GB, WD Blue 500GB M.2 SSD, Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM HDD

Laptop - ASUS ZenBook 14 with ScreenPad, i7-1165G7, Xe iGPU 96EU, 16GB Octa-Channel 4200MHz, MX450 2GB, 512GB SSD with 32GB Optane

Old Laptop 1 - HP Pavilion 15, A10-9600P, R5 iGPU, 8GB, R8 M445DX, 2TB HDD

Old Laptop 2 - HP Pavilion 15 TouchSmart, i3-3217U, Intel HD 4000, 4GB, 1TB HDD

iPad 2018 - 128GB

iPhone XR - 128GB

42 minutes ago, AMD A10-9600P said:

Those things are horrifying ahah

What is?

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

10 hours ago, sub68 said:

What is?

Those tiny Chromebooks

Desktop - i5-9600KF @4.8GHz all core, MSI Z390-A PRO, 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz, MSI GTX 1660S OC 6GB, WD Blue 500GB M.2 SSD, Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM HDD

Laptop - ASUS ZenBook 14 with ScreenPad, i7-1165G7, Xe iGPU 96EU, 16GB Octa-Channel 4200MHz, MX450 2GB, 512GB SSD with 32GB Optane

Old Laptop 1 - HP Pavilion 15, A10-9600P, R5 iGPU, 8GB, R8 M445DX, 2TB HDD

Old Laptop 2 - HP Pavilion 15 TouchSmart, i3-3217U, Intel HD 4000, 4GB, 1TB HDD

iPad 2018 - 128GB

iPhone XR - 128GB

5 hours ago, AMD A10-9600P said:

Those tiny Chromebooks

Yeah keyboard suck.

The layout is horrible.

But are old 11e were great

Pc's

Spoiler

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

On 4/14/2021 at 12:36 AM, Schnoz said:

*snip*

Them: *holds up a picture of a GPU which they were pronouncing as guh-puh*

My next move message ;

* your thread was moved to the guh-puh section *

🤣

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

My Mom, oh gosh where do I start. She NEEDS all my accounts and passwords to anything, but cant figure out how to use them. She graduated 40yo Facebook Mom school with a PhD in forgetting passwords and deleting desktop icons. She also put little EM-wave reducer stickers on EVERYTHING: the TV, her phone, the router, the desktops, and she, no joke, wears a NECKLACE that's supposed to ABSORB EM WAVES and not harm her. It was 75 dollars. She tried to "reset the Wi-Fi", which wasn't working on ANY device, by RESTARTING THE COMPUTER. There was a literal Xfinity truck outside working on it. When I was building my PC, she asked if I could share my screen to our tv whenever I used it. This maybe just sounds like she wants to know what im doing but our tv is literally from 1990. Its like three feet (abt 1 meter) wide and 300lbs (abt 136 kilos). Think its gonna screen share? No. She gets mad at me whenever she doesn't understand something, because "My generation is the ones who should know about this stuff and im just lazy and don't want to explain it" She also uses Internet Explorer for everything.

So my mother has a Samsung S10 and her default web browser is the Samsung Internet App. When she goes to click on separate links in her emails, it automatically creates a new tab to that link. She exits the tab and goes on her way in emails and other things; creating more and more tabs until the app reaches 99 tabs open. She comes to me and says "Hey, can you fix this for me, it's saying there are too many tabs open and I don't know how to close them," so I help her and I show her what to do to clear all the tabs with a click of a button. I asked her if she understood how to clear them on her own and she said, "Yes, I can do that". 

A day or two goes by and we're back to the same position as when I showed her, "Hey, it's not allowing me to create a new tab again and I can't see XYZ". I do this so often, you think her doing her puzzle game everyday would make it actually *click* on what to do. 

I know it might sound...harsh, to be on your own parents but I expect if someone shows someone else something, to know how to do it after a couple tries before finally being able to do the task independently, but not constantly!!

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

On 4/6/2021 at 7:13 PM, sub68 said:

My school blocks alot.

IMG_20210406_100854.jpg

wait your chool doesn't block linux?? LUCKY

5 minutes ago, Ankh Tech said:

wait your chool doesn't block linux?? LUCKY

What? Linux is an operating system not a website.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

4 hours ago, pythonmegapixel said:

What? Linux is an operating system not a website.

In chromebooks, you can use linux programs with a simple setting to turn on, but in our chroebooks it's like "Forced By Adminstirator"

6 minutes ago, Ankh Tech said:

In chromebooks, you can use linux programs with a simple setting to turn on, but in our chroebooks it's like "Forced By Adminstirator"

Oh right fair enough

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

(preface: I work for the gov't.)

A woman was just put "in charge" (not exactly, but we have to get everything approved by her) of our IT group.

She calls her computer "the modem"

Has no clue what we do, but insists on telling us what we need to do.

Yes, I'm job hunting.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Pc's

Spoiler

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

My friend asked me why I had two computers. (He's smart enough to see the 2 boxes on the floor, and knows that a monitor is not a computer.) I explained that they run different operating systems. After a long pause he asked, and I quote, "How is one a Mac if they're both PCs?", looking genuinely confused. I couldn't help but laugh. 

One is Ubuntu and one is Windows btw.