Worst Tech mistake you have ever made?

Mitch

My entire rig is embarrassing, but hopefully my new build will be complete soon.

My crappy speakers on my monitor and my crappy keyboard (updating soon).

Spoiler

i5 4670k, GTX 970, 12GB 1600, 120GB SSD, 240GB SDD, 1TB HDD, CM Storm Quickfire TK, G502, VG248QE, ATH M40x, Fractal R4

Spoiler

i5 4278U, Intel Iris Graphics, 8GB 1600, 128GB SSD, 2560x1600 IPS display, Mid-2014 Model

Spoiler

All the parts are here, just need to get customized cords to connect the motherboard to the front panel.

Cable Management and the fact that when I first tried to start it I forgot to plug in the power button and then my MOBO only has usb 2 headers and the case has usb 3 plugins so I had to get an adapter.

"Of course, its trash," Luke, 2014

I was at my local library and a kid put his flash drive into one of the computers. He then was convinced to use another computer because it had a game on it. He said "uh-oh I plugged in my drive, what should I do?" I replied, "unplug it." He then rambled on about how if he didn't safely eject the drive the computer would "explode". I tried to explain but he wouldn't take it and waited through the startup process signed in ejected the drive then signed off. I wanted to face palm so hard... 

"Of course, its trash," Luke, 2014

i bought a non modular PSU :( 

CPU: Intel i5-4670K CPU Cooler: Swiftech H240-X Motherboard: ASUS Z97 Sabertooth Mark 1 Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866MHz 16GB Storage:  Samsung 850 evo 250GB ,1TB WD BLUE, Seagate Barracuda 2TB GPU: ASUS STRIX GTX970 4GB Case: Fractal Design Define R5 PSU: Corsair AX760 Full Modular Monitor: Dell 23" S2340L IPS Keyboard: Corsair Strafe RGB Mouse: Logitech G502(w/ Mi Metal Mousepad) Headphone: Audio Technica ATH-M50/MSR-7 Speaker: Edifier Studio 7 R2730DB

my current non modular Seasonic PSU is embarrassing .... I have to use the lowest HDD slot to hide my unused cables !

need to change to full modular one soon. 

CPU: Intel i5-4670K CPU Cooler: Swiftech H240-X Motherboard: ASUS Z97 Sabertooth Mark 1 Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866MHz 16GB Storage:  Samsung 850 evo 250GB ,1TB WD BLUE, Seagate Barracuda 2TB GPU: ASUS STRIX GTX970 4GB Case: Fractal Design Define R5 PSU: Corsair AX760 Full Modular Monitor: Dell 23" S2340L IPS Keyboard: Corsair Strafe RGB Mouse: Logitech G502(w/ Mi Metal Mousepad) Headphone: Audio Technica ATH-M50/MSR-7 Speaker: Edifier Studio 7 R2730DB

I have quite a lot of dust in my PC. I'm gonna take it with me in the shower.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

I have quite a lot of dust in my PC. I'm gonna take it with me in the shower.

*Gets electrocuted, and gets shocked to death*

Common sense, VERY important.

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

I was going to return a mobo to ncix...I ended up bending the gold pins "trying" to put the lid cover back on...

Fastest way I've ever lost $100  :(

One of my brother's friend bought an In Win case. 

Edit: He also supposedly got 3 Titan Zs in CrossFire *facepalm*

CPU: Intel i7 8700K | CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | RAM: Kingston HyperX 2x8GB | Motherboard: Asus ROG Z370-E | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB & 2TB | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB & 970 EVO M.2 500GB | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X | PSU: Silverstone Platinum Strider 1100W | Monitor: AOC i2367Fh | Headphones: ATH-M40X | Mic: Antlion ModMic 4 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB w/ MX Browns | Mouse: Logitech G502 HERO

Make sure you quote or mention the person you're replying to in your comment. Also remember to follow your thread when creating it to get a notification every time someone replies. 

Be nice and have fun. Cheers!

I feel your pain.  Me too.  

i am currently using a CM Storm SCOUT II case, the back panel doesn't have much space to hide the cables so i need to sacrifice a 3.5" slot to hide them :( such inefficient way to manage cables. very bad air flows for front intake. 

Tried to switch MOBOs with a system that I spent ages stuffing with games.......

Ola Englund does not approve of your hashtags. Sleep is for the weak, insomnia builds character.

As you are reading this you are slowly traveling forwards in time to where you will get out of the time machine and continue to read posts. Too spookyfor100me.

i am currently using a CM Storm SCOUT II case, the back panel doesn't have much space to hide the cables so i need to sacrifice a 3.5" slot to hide them :( such inefficient way to manage cables. very bad air flows for front intake. 

Corsair 550D here, I have the excess cables laid out in front of the PSU between the PSU and the drive cage.  The next two things on my to-do list with my build is to get the 5.25 to 3.5 and 5.25 to 2.5 converters and use the extra 5.25 drive bays I'm not using for all my hard drives and remove the last drive cage for better airflow, and then a modular PSU to get those cables out of the way as well.  I only have 3 fans for airflow, 2 in 1 out,  I need all the obstructions out of the way to maximize the flow. 

let my bother set up my PC when we moved,

Crushed the Pins on my beautiful 8800 and didn't tell me!

yesterday deleted working UBUNTU kernel (with old ones) after reboot can't start ubuntu :( 

I installed that ubuntu 7 days ago and had lot of stuff done on that installation without backup :(

now i have to do everything from the beggining like i went back in time LOL 

Computer users fall into two groups:
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.

Putting in a different modular cable in power suppily (Mistake picked up wrong one)

Killed the following

CPU (i5 2500k)

MOBO

GPU (7970)

Power supply 

one ssd 

(done)I bought an Ipod. And watchdogs (that was a mistake)

Oh, I bought a non SLI AMD mobo, and then bought a gtx660 ftw edition, all with an AMD APU (D'OH)

I would count people that continue to buy apple products, laptops, and consoles.

(LET THE HATE BEGIN)

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Still use VGA on a old shitty eMachines PC that I bought a few years ago. Doesn't even have any other ports. 

I have to say my cable management and my water loop! And it wont oc!

For me It's cable management and the tremendous heat coming from my video card (XFX 7850 1GB).

One gigabyte of RAM.

HP 15-BA021AX - 2.3GHz AMD A10-9600P processor - 4GB DDR4 RAM - 1TB 5400rpm Serial ATA hard drive - 15.6-inch screen, AMD Radeon R7 M440 2GB Graphics - Windows 10

My 24-pin isn't long enough to go all the way behind my case and plug into the 24pin through the 24-pin routing hole. Didn't and don't want to stress the socket and I'm going to buy sleeved cables when I have some spare cash anyway. The temps I get are still extremely reasonable so I don't mind it too much, just doesn't look the most aesthetically pleasing.