Worst Tech mistake you have ever made?

Mitch

Same man, waiting for a delivery before I can finish my PC, my ps4 died over the weekend. Currently using an iPad :(

That blows D:

That I wasted a Sata port on an optical drive.

Edit:SATA

Case:Define R4 | MOBO:ASRock z75 Pro 3 | CPU:i7-3770k 4.0GHz | CPU Cooler:H100i | GPU:970 Strix | RAM:Hyper X 16GB | 

Peripherals:ATH-M50x Limited Blue Edition | K95 RGB | M65 RGB | Blue Yeti MIC | (3x)1920x2080 Acer Monitors

That I wasted a Sata port on an optical drive.

SATA3? Because all newer optical drives use SATA. Or do you not need an ODD?

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

My entire (6 years old) PC. Which is running on Intel Pentium D 945. I've only recently bought some hardware for a new build, but I'm still waiting for the i7-4790K to become available where I am. For the time being, I just keep caressing the new case, and sniffing the inside of the motherboard box until I can put it together.  :rolleyes: 

Thou shall not abuse thy monkey, thou shall not misuse thy monkey.

The fact I missed the rubber gromits for the front io to plug into the motherboard I'm say to lazy to re do it too xD

CPU: i7 4770k@4.3Ghz GPU: GTX 780ti Motherboard: ROG maximus vi formula PSU: Evga supernova 1000w Platinum

Case: NZXT Switch 810 Memory: g.skill ripjaws X Cooler: Corsair h100i(getting custom loop when i get money next) Storage: Samsung 840 evo 250gb Keyboard: Corsair K95 Mouse: SteelSeries Rival

Mobo, CPU and RAM are from a Dell Inspiron 580. Using a 1280x1024 monitor, have been for years, but I just bought a used BenQ 1080p monitor for 50 euros.

rRD3qwb.jpg

JFXwAqe.jpg

Dell Inspiron 580 - Modified

Build log

Win 7 | GTX 760 | i5 CPU 650 @ 3.20GHz | 2x2Gb 1333MHz Hyundai + 2x2Gb 1333Mhz Crucial RAM | Seagate 1TB 7200RPM | HyperX Fury 120Gb | Corsair Builder 600M | Fractal R2 Mini

Blue ram kits. In a red black theme.

Developer by day, Gamer by night

CPU - Intel i7 4770k | MOBO MSI G45 Gaming | RAM - G.Skill RipJaws X 1600mhz 4x4gb CL7 | CASE - NZXT H440 | GPU - MSI R9 290 | PSU - Corsair RM850 | SSD - Samsung 840 EVO 128gb | HDD - Western Digital Black 2TB

I've switched the sata cable for a hdd and dvd drive driving me insane as to why it wouldn't boot. 

and stepping directly on a Radeon 5450 (although it needed to go anyway)

"2GB DDR3 is faster than your 1GB DDR5", "My 8 Core Amd Cpu beats your i7". I wanted to punch them in the face with a brass knuckle.

Developer by day, Gamer by night

CPU - Intel i7 4770k | MOBO MSI G45 Gaming | RAM - G.Skill RipJaws X 1600mhz 4x4gb CL7 | CASE - NZXT H440 | GPU - MSI R9 290 | PSU - Corsair RM850 | SSD - Samsung 840 EVO 128gb | HDD - Western Digital Black 2TB

"2GB DDR3 is faster than your 1GB DDR5", "My 8 Core Amd Cpu beats your i7". I wanted to punch them in the face with a brass knuckle.

But 2GB is twice as much as 1GB.  8 cores is twice as many as 4 cores.  It's solid logic.

"lol, my phone is faster than that computer, mine has 4 cores, that only has 2!"

*facepalm*

"It seems we living the American dream, but the people highest up got the lowest self esteem. The prettiest people do the ugliest things, for the road to riches and diamond rings."- Kanye West, "All Falls Down"

Mobo, CPU and RAM are from a Dell Inspiron 580. Using a 1280x1024 monitor, have been for years, but I just bought a used BenQ 1080p monitor for 50 euros.

rRD3qwb.jpg

why is the heat sink slightly leaning one direction... It is different and I don't like things that are different

MoBo: 970A-D3P CPU: FX-8350 GPU: HD 7950 PSU: 1000watt RAM:8Gb of G,skill 1600

When I first started pc building I installed 32 bit windows instead of 64 bit.

Case:Define R4 | MOBO:ASRock z75 Pro 3 | CPU:i7-3770k 4.0GHz | CPU Cooler:H100i | GPU:970 Strix | RAM:Hyper X 16GB | 

Peripherals:ATH-M50x Limited Blue Edition | K95 RGB | M65 RGB | Blue Yeti MIC | (3x)1920x2080 Acer Monitors

The typical hardware store employee that tells your average consumer: "This computer does E-mail, Web Browsing, Music, Movies..." *facepalm*

My mother lives in a retirement community and has a lot of friends there, she used to work in I.T., you'd be amazed how often they'll ask that about a computer.  "I can do email and movies on it?"  I hear the stories.  

One fella I encountered recently told me with pride how he goes up to his computer, turns on the monitor, does what he needs to do, and then shuts the monitor off again.  Leaving the CPU running 24/7 when he only uses the computer for about 10 minutes a day to do his banking on it.  I told him that's a bit rough on the system, especially under the dusty desk he has it stored.  I'm just waiting for him to call to tell me it just "shut off" on it's own, and how I'm gonna have to dust it out and replace some fried component.   I hate cleaning my own rig let alone someone else's who has NEVER cleaned theirs. 

Nothing actually O.o

My pc is running as planned right now ^^

Its not my dream rig but it does pretty good

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

why is the heat sink slightly leaning one direction... It is different and I don't like things that are different

You can't mount the fan on the same screws for the heatsink. That's why they're slanted.

I get that, but ti's not the consumers fault necessarly in this case. It's the salesman's fault for luring consumers into getting what he wants them to get, since pretty much everything nowadays does E-mail, movies and so on; instead of giving (say) your old man, that only needs basic stuff, the most appropriate/down to Earth options.

The problem with most users who don't game, they'd do fine with a 200 dollar chromebook.  Don't tell the Dell/HP people that though... they'll start talking about having enough storage for your precious photos.  When an external drive works fine and dandy for that.  Wanna have fun, tune in to one of the shop at home channels when they're promoting a computer, especially back to school time.  You'll find either overpriced junk, or too much machine for the purposes being sold.  Either way it's hilarious to me. 

Generally, the wretched cable mananement.

For thoroughly cleaning once I removed the disk cages and placed them on the floor stacked, after a long cleaning session I quickly rose and stepped on the cages, I use rubberband for HDDs now.

Gosh, there are a few things. I guess the first would be my sata cable placement. I've got a long graphics card and an old motherboard, and to make it worse all of my sata ports are populated, so to remove any sata ports I need to either remove my graphics card, or use my own system of maneuvering a bent PCI bracket to touch the clip on any sata cables. on top of this, my motherboard is an Asus P8P67, and I don't know if this happens to anyone else, but as long as I have over-clocking enabled I can't put the computer to sleep and have it start back up, haha. Also I have an NZXT Phantom enthusiasts case, but the front door for the bay covers fell off while I tried to pick it up for a LAN party  :P

Ryzen 7 3700X

Aorus GTX 1080ti

G.Skill TridentZ 3200MHz 2x8GB

Corsair SFX 750W

Phanteks Evolve Shift Air (glass front)

2x Corsair Force GS 120GB SSD (RAID 0)

Mine currently has no graphic card :( Its been on RMA for a month now. XFX Germany is terrible and im dealing with a lifetime warranty..they might just take another month.

All iv been able to play on my RADEON 3000 integrated graphics are indie games, but mainly the binding of isaac. 

My Bad cable management and Velcro for my SSD to stop it from moving.