Worst Tech mistake you have ever made?

Mitch

The problem with most users who don't game, they'd do fine with a 200 dollar chromebook. Don't tell the Dell/HP people that though... they'll start talking about having enough storage for your precious photos. When an external drive works fine and dandy for that. Wanna have fun, tune in to one of the shop at home channels when they're promoting a computer, especially back to school time. You'll find either overpriced junk, or too much machine for the purposes being sold. Either way it's hilarious to me.

Thank you for mentioning the shopping networks! I started my own thread about this actually. You are correct about the computers though. They are really underpowered and overpriced. The hosts have no clue what they're talking about. On hsn, I saw a PS3 go on sale and they said it had 3 cores when it really doesn't! I watch that stuff to poke fun at them and when I'm really bored

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

Way back in the day when I was far less educated, I bought an unknown brand PSU from some shoddy electronic store for my old (current at the time) P4 system. I installed it correctly, but it didn't work (was DOA) and they wouldn't take it back at the store claiming I had done something to it. Yeah, because I like wasting time buying and returning PC parts...  :rolleyes:

Still convinced to this day that PSU is what killed my P4. It never worked again.  :unsure: And never again will I buy a cheap PSU nor buy anything from a store I don't trust.

Here's another: A good friend of mine who's a gamer and PC enthusiast like me, usually builds a new beastly gaming PC every 3-5 years. He always uses overclockable components (3570K and Z77 mobo in his latest build) with huge coolers (or AIO liquid) and a thousand case fans but NEVER overclocks them! NEVER! When I ask him why he hasn't tried OCing he just says "because I like it cool and stable." Meanwhile my rig delivers the same gaming performance, is 1/4 the size, cool and stable and cost about $700 less than his...  ^_^

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

So what are some embarrassing things about your PC build, for me it's my horrible cable management. 

Both monitors are run through VGA. My 15" is hooked up directly to VGA and my 17" is using a DVI to VGA adapter... :(

Oh and the fact it's spanned across 3 desks. 

also the fact that my case is too puny and I could hardly work my fingers in there for any cable management and i cut my fingers over a bazillion times and bled all over my case....

Eric S. Raymond used an E6600 from 2005 until 12/30/14 or open source software creation. Raw data computations in excess of 18GB each. Core 2 Duos still have tons of life left, my friend.

I tried to overclock my old notebock for the first time and all go wrong when I put the clock of a dual core to 6GHz

HILARIOUS.

When I first built my PC, I wanted to try overclocking and Slid the slider to the max on my 7870 and it stopped working

I accidentally set the FSB on my Q6600. to 7000 on accident. Needless to say, it overclocked, VERY MUCH. It was unstable to log on. I put it back. I think it was fucked. But it still works to this day.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Buying my z506 when i could buy a 300 watt speakers from samsung...........for the same price  :angry:

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

Not fully knowing what OCing is, yet still doing what the tutorial does, then ending up with a dead laptop. I was lucky that it was a 5 years old one

I sort of accidentally reformatted my mum's hard drive....... with all of her law documents on it.

Intel i7 4790k / MSI Z97M / Hyper 212 Evo / MSI Twin Frozr GTX 770 / 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz / Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 / Corsair CS750M / Samsung 840 Evo 250gb SSD /  WD Blue 1TB

I recently tried overclocking my GPU with Catalyst software.

I couldn't figure out why it seemed like nothing was happening each time I raised the gauge until it was eventually maxed at 1300MHz

So I started up Tomb Raider 2013 to see if it was working (7770 runs this game like garbage) and it bluescreened in the first 15 seconds.

why do so many good cases only come in black and white

Replace thermal compound on a 7770 and forgot to reconnect the fan header. That was a nice fried chicken after all :C

Bye LTT. That was an interesting journey on this board. At least here you see how not to do it. I'll go shaking my head about this place.

This one's from a recent event, Transcript:

>friends house

>slow system, new OS install

>Two separate HDD plugged in

>Initiate boot from disc & start format

>get to partitions options to select the part to install files

>Confusion..

>Hey, i think this ones the C drive

>formats the 50 gig partition

>finalize & restarts

>face palm

Details separate people.

I finished building my PC and was excited to plug it in and start it but when I pushed the power button nothing happened. I was upset and didn't come back till the next day when I found out I put the power button cable in loosely and it fell out during transporting the PC to my desk. 

"Of course, its trash," Luke, 2014

Was trying to free up room on my moms old laptop (like 10 years ago) to install the sims, and I deleted a .DLL file or some other system file.

It killed the laptop somehow, permanently, new installs of windows didn't work. Just a paperweight

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

A friend asking if a ATI Radeon HD 5450 and a Geforce 8400 GS could run Skyrim, Battlefield 3 and 4, and more games on high setttings with his Pentium D 945...

He paid $300 USD for a computer from 2006 running Windows 7 and the onboard graphics are not supported to run with Windows 7... Guess he is now saving for a new computer to be built.

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

I was building a gaming desktop (the one I'm actually using right now). When doing the test build (when you put the motherboard on it's box and you test your core components), I tripped over the 24 pin power connector and my motherboard fell off of the desk I was working on  and actually scratched the paint on my case on the floor. Suprisingly, the motherboard still worked.

lucky

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

bought a non modular entry PSU

CPU: Intel i5-4670K CPU Cooler: Swiftech H240-X Motherboard: ASUS Z97 Sabertooth Mark 1 Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866MHz 16GB Storage:  Samsung 850 evo 250GB ,1TB WD BLUE, Seagate Barracuda 2TB GPU: ASUS STRIX GTX970 4GB Case: Fractal Design Define R5 PSU: Corsair AX760 Full Modular Monitor: Dell 23" S2340L IPS Keyboard: Corsair Strafe RGB Mouse: Logitech G502(w/ Mi Metal Mousepad) Headphone: Audio Technica ATH-M50/MSR-7 Speaker: Edifier Studio 7 R2730DB

I was assembling a PC for a friend of mine and I placed the AMD 8120 chip on the motherboard and placed the heatsink and then I had to remove the heatsink so I pulled it out and there was this vacuum created between the chip and the heatsink so pulling out the heatsink meant that I pulled out the chip with it! So now I tried fitting the chip again while holding the heasink and realised that I broke about 2 of those pins on the main 200 dollar CPU! And the worst part that I was not the one who owned it! Then I came across this video and I did the exact same thing! 

Before I learnt about DDR2/3 I purchased a DDR3 kit for an old DDR2 motherboard...

Telling a freind about the safely remove feature for hdd and flash drives...

Once i just pulled out his pen drive and then he yelled at me like anything " you idiot you people dont know how important it is to safely remove it and then eject it.

And then i told him that you dumbass it was me only who told you about it in the first place.....

I regret my deciesion to tell him about that function...

Ohhh damn noobs

Was about 12 and was eating cereal before school, out of stupidity I used my laptop as a sort of table on my lap to put the bowl on, spilled some milk onto the top of the laptop and it managed to seep down into the area with the main power connector, fried the laptop. (Lucky it was a $150 laptop that I needed to replace anyways)

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Overclocking my HP laptop. After ~20 min of use, the cpu would reach 105c and you could smell something strange blowing out the exhaust >.<