Newegg won't be offering returns for GTX 970, as expected..

meritmaster
  Seems as Newegg won't be giving any refunds out! I expected as much, but they still should since they also falsely advertised the product they sold. If they didn't want to face this problem, then i would of suggested having the person who reviewed the card, to actually at the spec to see if they are correct, something no reviewer did, and instead took Nvidias word. That's not reviewing a product, and more like advertising it the way Nvidia advertised it, so they are equally to blame. 
Dear cole scott,

We would like to begin by thanking you for your patience while we investigated your inquiry regarding your NVIDIA product concerns. It is likely your product is under a replacement only return policy making the product ineligible for a refund return. Because of this, we want you to know that we have spent significant time speaking with NVIDIA to better understand the confusion regarding the specs associated with the video card. NVIDIA has worked with the manufacturers and recommended that you contact the manufacturer directly to discuss this further. The manufacturers are aware of this recommendation and willing to take your call to discuss your concerns. Please see the manufacturer phone numbers below.

Additionally, we are including some information provided to us by NVIDIA that might be helpful. We are also including a couple of links to technical publications that you may trust that further discuss this topic.

Information Provided by NVIDIA
The GeForce GTX 970 is equipped with 4GB of dedicated graphics memory. However the 970 has a different configuration of SMs than the 980, and fewer crossbar resources to the memory system. To optimally manage memory traffic in this configuration, we segment graphics memory into a 3.5GB section and a 0.5GB section. The GPU has higher priority access to the 3.5GB section. When a game needs less than 3.5GB of video memory per draw command then it will only access the first partition, and 3rd party applications that measure memory usage will report 3.5GB of memory in use on GTX 970, but may report more for GTX 980 if there is more memory used by other commands. When a game requires more than 3.5GB of memory then we use both segments.

We understand there have been some questions about how the GTX 970 will perform when it accesses the 0.5GB memory segment. The best way to test that is to look at game performance. Compare a GTX 980 to a 970 on a game that uses less than 3.5GB. Then turn up the settings so the game needs more than 3.5GB and compare 980 and 970 performance again.

Here's an example of some performance data:

GTX980 GTX970 Shadows of Mordor     <3.5GB setting = 2688x1512 Very High
>3.5GB setting = 3456x1944 72fps
55fps (-24%) 60fps
45fps (-25%) Battlefield 4     <3.5GB setting = 3840x2160 2xMSAA
>3.5GB setting = 3840x2160 135% res 36fps
19fps (-47%) 30fps 
15fps (-50%) Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare     <3.5GB setting = 3840x2160 FSMAA T2x, Supersampling off
>3.5GB setting = 3840x2160 FSMAA T2x, Supersampling on 82fps
48fps (-41%) 71fps
40fps (-44%) We appreciate your attention to this matter. If you have any questions regarding the information provided in this email, please do not hesitate to contact Newegg Customer service through one of the convenient contact methods provided here.

Sincerely,
Newegg Customer Service

I destroy my enemies when I make them my friends.

~Abraham Lincoln

In times when we are on the brink of destruction, war, and loosing ourselves, let's remember a basic fundamental element of love, forgiveness, and understanding; God bless!

Isn't there a rule against copy and pasting directly?

And what did people honestly expect? That would be a massive profit loss on New Egg otherwise...

Just remember: Random people on the internet ALWAYS know more than professionals, when someone's lying, AND can predict the future.

i7 9700K (5.2Ghz @1.2V); MSI Z390 Gaming Edge AC; Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB 3200 CAS 16; H100i RGB Platinum; Samsung 970 Evo 1TB; Samsung 850 Evo 500GB; WD Black 3 TB; Phanteks 350x; Corsair RM19750w.

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 4K 9750H GTX 1650 16GB Ram 256GB SSD

Spoiler

sex hahaha

Good to see that Newegg are denying 970 refunds.

Someone move this to GTX 970 issue thread in the graphic card section.

Corsair 760T White | Asus X99 Deluxe | Intel i7-5930k @ 4.4ghz | Corsair H110 | G.Skill Ripjawz 2400mhz | Gigabyte GTX 970 Windforce G1 Gaming (1584mhz/8000mhz) | Corsair AX 760w | Samsung 850 pro | WD Black 1TB | IceModz Sleeved Cables | IceModz RGB LED pack

Well I fon't see why people would want a refund when the last .5gb is still usable, just in an. other way.

The product was advertised by Newegg for having a total memory speed of 224GB/s, but that's not the truth. http://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidia-geforce-gtx-970-specifications,28464.html

It still has 4GB of VRAM...

Not at the advertised speed. Let's say you bought 16gb of ddr4, but you're only getting the speed of ddr3 with some of the memory., wouldn't you want it to be the full speed as advertised. 

Isn't there a rule against copy and pasting directly?

And what did people honestly expect? That would be a massive profit loss on New Egg otherwise...

How else can i do it, as it was an email sent to me? Why would it matter, i'm just trying to share the email, so saying that is kinda being a busybody. 

I said "as expected" in the title, this is for people who keep saying Newegg is giving out refunds, because they are not, so don't waste your time. 

~Abraham Lincoln

In times when we are on the brink of destruction, war, and loosing ourselves, let's remember a basic fundamental element of love, forgiveness, and understanding; God bless!

Good to see that Newegg are denying 970 refunds.

Someone move this to GTX 970 issue thread in the graphic card section.

Yeah its great to see a company can openly lie and cheat its customers only to have absolutely no responsibility for, even excluding compensation, simply giving them a refund! Woo! So good! I can't wait to buy the GTX 1280 that says it has 64 ROPs but actually has 8. But no one will care right? Because thats fine right?

Right?

Still a great product. I had some friends (casual computer enthusiasts) who bought the card and even being told the news they don't mind because it's still a good product and are still happy customers. 

CPU: 3770K | Motherboard: Asus Maximus V Formula | GPU: GTX 1080Ti SLI | Ram: 16gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133 | PSU: Corsair AX1200i | Storage: 2x Samsung 840 pros | Case: Corsair 650D | Cooler:  Corsair H100i with Noctus NF-F12 fans | Monitor: Asus ROG Swift PG278Q

Here's where Newegg falsely advertised their product. "224GB/s total memory speed"  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Erf0kyU0NAY#t=991

~Abraham Lincoln

The product was advertised by Newegg for having a total memory speed of 224GB/s, but that's not the truth. http://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidia-geforce-gtx-970-specifications,28464.html

Not at the advertised speed. Let's say you bought 16gb of ddr4, but you're only getting the speed of ddr3 with some of the memory., wouldn't you want it to be the full speed as advertised. 

How else can i do it, as it was an email sent to me? Why would it matter, i'm just trying to share the email, so saying that is kinda being a busybody. 

I said "as expected" in the title, this is for people who keep saying Newegg is giving out refunds, because they are not, so don't waste your time. 

WHO GIVES A CRAP

cus I don't. look at my profile pic.

also, does it works ? yes. 

sould you be worried ? no

are you still going to complain bout it ? yes

why ? idk, you tell me

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

Yeah its great to see a company can openly lie and cheat its customers only to have absolutely no responsibility for, even excluding compensation, simply giving them a refund! Woo! So good! I can't wait to buy the GTX 1280 that says it has 64 ROPs but actually has 8. But no one will care right? Because thats fine right?

Right?

Here's one person that actually cares about ROPs rather than benchmarks.

"I buy GPUs based on ROPs not benchmarks." :|

Corsair 760T White | Asus X99 Deluxe | Intel i7-5930k @ 4.4ghz | Corsair H110 | G.Skill Ripjawz 2400mhz | Gigabyte GTX 970 Windforce G1 Gaming (1584mhz/8000mhz) | Corsair AX 760w | Samsung 850 pro | WD Black 1TB | IceModz Sleeved Cables | IceModz RGB LED pack

WHO

GIVES

A

CRAP

cus I don't. look at my profile pic.

also, does it works ? yes. 

sould you be worried ? no

are you still going to complain bout it ? yes

why ? idk, you tell me

You also don't own one.

Here's one person that actually cares about ROPs rather than benchmarks.

"I buy GPUs based on ROPs not benchmarks." :|

No. I buy GPU's based on benchmarks. Performance has literally nothing to do with this in my eyes (although it is slower, and some people are affected by that, so to them, its more relevant). The simple fact that a company sold a product and lied about what it was selling is disgusting and illegal. It's as simple as that. Trying to cover it up with some crap like "Oh well no one complained before and now suddenly they want a refund" doesn't work. Because they have been lied to. 

You also don't own one.

I would if I waited a week or 2. stil had the chance to try it out though. on many, many occasions.  wich. doesen'T change anything

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

Why is this in the tech news section? It really doesn't belong here. We were all already aware newegg wasn't offering refunds.

Windows 10 likes to spy on you. Protect your Data! Run GNU/Linux!
That One Privacy Guy's VPN Comparison Chart.

Spoiler
Spoiler

|ARCH LINUX| |CPU i5 4690k @ 4.7GHz| |GPU: Asus Strix 390x| |Mobo: Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mk 2| |RAM: Corsair Veangence Pro 16gb (2x8gb) @2133mhz| |CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i| |PSU: 750w EVGA Supernova 80+ Gold| |Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX(Silver)| |K/B: Pok3r w/ Cherry MX Blues|

Spoiler

|Samsung 250GB 840 EVO: Arch Linux installation.| |Seagate Barracuda 2TB: Mostly Games and stuff related to that. Music and most Media as well.| |Seagate NAS 4TB: Anime and Anime Art-Whoring.| |Seagate 1TB 2.5" SSHD: Arch install on my Thinkpad X220.| |Samsung OEM Lenovo SSD: Windows 8.1 cause I need to play JRPGs some how.|

Spoiler

|Cans: Sennheiser HD 558(Modded)| |Earbuds: Shure SE215| I'm working on expanding this.

Good on Newegg for taking a stand against the overblown reactions. They should still offer refunds as advised by Nvidia, IMO, but at least they're drawing a line in the sand on this from their end. 

Everybody falsely advertised. it wasn't just newegg. they aren't losing money just because nvidia messed up.

why can't people understand this

Cpu: Intel i7 4770k @4.4 Ghz | Case: Corsair 350D | Motherbord: Z87 Gryphon | Ram: dominator platinum 4X4 1866 | Video Card: SLI GTX 980 Ti | Power Supply: Seasonic 1000 platinum | Monitor: ACER XB270HU | Keyboard: RK-9100 | Mouse: R.A.T. 7 | Headset : HD 8 DJ | Watercooled

You got rekt by Newegg.

False advertising is illegal. "Don't care."

Honestly, and I say this sincerely, stop posting this on LTT,

first, you're just going to get flamed by people who think that requiring refunds is "childish." 

second, we already know this

LTT doesn't want consumer protection or trust "because 'benchmarks' ", just stop wasting your time.

The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had.

Also, format your goddamn post! Copying and pasting is against the rules.

The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had.

Tech news is so stale this time of year; shopping experiences have become news topics.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

False advertising is illegal. "Don't care."

Honestly, and I say this sincerely, stop posting this on LTT,

first, you're just going to get flamed by people who think that requiring refunds is "childish." 

second, we already know this

LTT doesn't want consumer protection or trust "because 'benchmarks' ", just stop wasting your time.

Who the hell has been saying that? 

I've been an strong advocate of people returning their cards if they want to and are able to. If they feel wronged, they absolutely should. 

Stop using blanket statements and painting the entire site with the same damn brush, and stop playing this "belittled minority" card and acting so hurt when it comes to this issue. Many people like @mr moose would say the same. Return if you can and want, but what more can be done? 

And guess what? If you think consumer protection laws are so important, do something about it! Start your own small claims/class action. Actually show Nvidia you care. Posting on forums ad nausea isn't showing them anything. Practice what you preach. Thats what everyone else is getting tired of seeing too. These repetitive threads and these sob stories. BIG FUCKING DEAL! The internet is not some all powerful place that solves problems all the time. DO SOMETHING. Call up a lawyer. Call up the BBB. Call up your regulatory agency. Actually do something productive instead of bitching constantly on the internet about how Nvidia is satan. 

Nvidia lied and they lied well. TAKE THEM TO TASK. Repeating the same crap on a daily basis here isn't doing anything to them. 

Tech news is so stale this time of year; shopping experiences have become news topics.

This just in, a local bank had a coupon for a toaster! Turns out one actually needs a bank account to receive the appliance! Old Aunt widows everywhere are outraged!