Newegg won't be offering returns for GTX 970, as expected..

meritmaster

People keeping there card are basically giving a thumbs up to NVIDA and saying great job so they can do this all over again lol

As for newegg not taking returns, WOW America is pretty screwed up in the department that is clearly false advertising yet they don't have to give refunds WTF!  

We're not giving "thumbs up" to Nvidia, if this were to happen again, I'm sure people (including me) will retaliate. Since I'm just gaming on a 1080p monitor, it doesn't bother me that much. I'm not going to wait weeks or even months just to ship back my GPU and get a new card that would perform just like my 970 just without that .5 vram problem. 

We owners of 970 are basically waiting for compensation or bonus from Nvidia for keeping our GPUs. *crosses fingers*

Corsair 760T White | Asus X99 Deluxe | Intel i7-5930k @ 4.4ghz | Corsair H110 | G.Skill Ripjawz 2400mhz | Gigabyte GTX 970 Windforce G1 Gaming (1584mhz/8000mhz) | Corsair AX 760w | Samsung 850 pro | WD Black 1TB | IceModz Sleeved Cables | IceModz RGB LED pack

We're not giving "thumbs up" to Nvidia, if this were to happen again, I'm sure people (including me) will retaliate. Since I'm just gaming on a 1080p monitor, it doesn't bother me that much. I'm not going to wait weeks or even months just to ship back my GPU and get a new card that would perform just like my 970 just without that .5 vram problem. 

We owners of 970 are basically waiting for compensation or bonus from Nvidia for keeping our GPUs. *crosses fingers*

I'm still wondering about how much of the problem is linked to the severity. If this was a condition that affected 2GB out of 4GB of the card, would it be worth the return then? I think most people would say yes by that point.

The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had.

But if you hurt them financially u basically have 100% assurance this will never happen again. Waiting on some sort of compensation? Well NVIDIA has already spoke about it and said if you aren't happy return the card. I would of thought if there was going to be some sort of compensation besides allowing you to return the card they would of said it then.

The vram issues should not be the reason why people want to return their cards. It should be for the other specs that were lied about.

But I didn't expect Newegg to do returns.

Still getting a 970. Hopefully this fuss about the GPUs will mean I can get it cheaper. xD

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

I'm still wondering about how much of the problem is linked to the severity. If this was a condition that affected 2GB out of 4GB of the card, would it be worth the return then? I think most people would say yes by that point.

I would say if the ram issue started at 2Gb the card would have performed noticeable worse and Nvidia would have released it cheaper as the 960 instead.   Who knows if the rops and cache would have been miscommunicated. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

The whole 970 thing needs to stop. Please. Both sides need to stop. It's all been said before. The card is fine... But the situation got blown way out of proportion.

The projects never end in my line of work.

CPU: Dual Xeon E5-2650v2 || GPU: Dual Quadro K5000 || Motherboard: Asus Z9PE-D8 || RAM: 64GB Corsair Vengeance || Monitors: Dual LG 34UM95, NEC MultiSync EA244UHD || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 Pro 256GB in Raid 0, 6x WD Re 4TB in Raid 1 || Sound: Xonar Essense STX (Mainly for Troubleshooting and listening test) || PSU: Corsair Ax1500i

CPU: Core i7 5820k @ 4.7GHz || GPU: Dual Titan X || Motherboard: Asus X99 Deluxe || RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport || Monitors: MX299Q, 29UB65, LG 34UM95 || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB in Raid 0, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, 2TB Toshiba scratch disk, 3TB Seagate Barracuda || PSU: EVGA 1000w PS Platinum

I would say if the ram issue started at 2Gb the card would have performed noticeable worse and Nvidia would have released it cheaper as the 960 instead.   Who knows if the rops and cache would have been miscommunicated. 

Barring that. Assume that the benchmarks were of games that only used up to around 1.5GB (Farcry 3, Battlefield 3) maximum, no performance would arise then, so would the argument "the benchmarks are still accurate" be used so many people?

The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had.

Barring that. Assume that the benchmarks were of games that only used up to around 1.5GB (Farcry 3, Battlefield 3) maximum, no performance would arise then, so would the argument "the benchmarks are still accurate" be used so many people?

If everything was exactly the same just on a smaller scale (price also) then I would assume everyone's opinions would be the same.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

If everything was exactly the same just on a smaller scale (price also) then I would assume everyone's opinions would be the same.

I'm not talking about scaling, but actually an increase or a decrease in severity. 1/8 of the VRAM is affected, so if it was 1/7, 1/6 , or 1/4 I'm thinking people would be less apt to making statements like this one:

Only the stupid fuckwits are bitching about it.

it would depend on how the performance was after the 2 gb, if it wasnt noticable then the reaction would be the same

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

I'm not talking about scaling, but actually an increase or a decrease in severity. 1/8 of the VRAM is affected, so if it was 1/7, 1/6 , or 1/4 I'm thinking people would be less apt to making statements like this one:

I believe GPU makers price their products according to how they perform, the better they perform the better the model number and the more they charge.  If the memory had been sufficiently shit that it was reflected in benchmarks, then I think they would have sold it cheaper thus the reaction would probably be the same if not a little less vitriolic.

However as I have said before, I think half the angry banter about it is actually coming from AMD fans who would jump on any fuck up from nvidia regardless how insignificant it was.   

I believe GPU makers price their products according to how they perform, the better they perform the better the model number and the more they charge.  If the memory had been sufficiently shit that it was reflected in benchmarks, then I think they would have sold it cheaper thus the reaction would probably be the same if not a little less vitriolic.

However as I have said before, I think half the angry banter about it is actually coming from AMD fans who would jump on any fuck up from nvidia regardless how insignificant it was.   

That's why I specifically said that the benchmarks are suppose to be considered equal. 

All else equal, if the benchmarks did not run into issues because they weren't pushing the VRAM threshold, then I think people would be less dismissive of criticisms on nvidia as "AMD fans" if the problem was higher in the quantity of VRAM

That's why I specifically said that the benchmarks are suppose to be considered equal. 

All else equal, if the benchmarks did not run into issues because they weren't pushing the VRAM threshold, then I think people would be less dismissive of criticisms on nvidia as "AMD fans" if the problem was higher in the quantity of VRAM

Well they are,  they are the only reference we have for how well a card performs before we buy it.  Most reviews don't show the ram usage, they simply give us the FPS and the quality settings.  After that any anomalies are in the write up (read stuttering or unexplained issues).  So as consumers there is no way of knowing future performance, only what we can test today. If game packs get so big they start chewing through more than 3.5G then basically every card except the 980, titan series and top end AMD stuff is going to fall in a heap.  Even if the 970s ram was perfect right through till 4GB there is no guarantee the GPU could keep up with that workload anyway.

So yes, if the ram shat itself at 2G and the issue was bigger than it is, then people would be angrier, however in all likely hood it would never have been marketed as being 25% (or whatever the official number is) slower than the 980.