Newegg won't be offering returns for GTX 970, as expected..

meritmaster
-snip-

The GTX 970 is still a great GPU, it's good for the money, power efficient, and I would still recommend it, but there are two things that are true here:

-They flat out lied about the specs. Maybe you don't really care, but I know my money supports the company, and if I don't like their direction, then I avoid them at all costs (personally I apply this to game creators, I wouldn't touch a Ubisoft game with a 10ft pole, even if it's a sequel of a game I used to enjoy).

-Believe it or not there is a very small demographic that actually thought of putting in use those crippled 500MB of GDDR5 when buying the GPU. And when I found about the 970 issue I was astonished, as I could have entered in that demographic!. I have a R9 290X (XFX DD), I bought it a couple of weeks after it came to market (there wasn't any miners craze then yet, so the price was good) and one of my uses for it is playing Skyrim with a crazy amount of mods (pretty insane), as well as Minecraft (which becomes the 'Crysis 4' of PC once you heavily modify it, as the optimization is terrible), and according to afterburner I am in fact right on the edge of the 4GB of Vram used when playing any of these games, as well as for compute tasks (OpenCL), going well above 3.5GB. I know it's not common and basically the only way to get to this stance is by using stuff that isn't optimized (sort of duct taped together actually), but I'd be pretty mad If I bought into the spec of a 970.

I do know most people are overreacting, and they are basically playing easy to run titles on 1080p that don't need over 3GB of Vram anyway, so this is why I wouldn't have problems recommending the GPU to someone that is not on my same use-case scenario. However it's not a reason to mock users that could be actually a victim of the trick Nvidia pulled here, and were in fact deceived by a spec sheet that a seller like Newegg has. If people wants to return it, then let them, and put the blame on Nvidia.

Yeah its great to see a company can openly lie and cheat its customers only to have absolutely no responsibility for, even excluding compensation, simply giving them a refund! Woo! So good! I can't wait to buy the GTX 1280 that says it has 64 ROPs but actually has 8. But no one will care right? Because thats fine right?

Right?

Yeah it will because I will be able to play latest games at 1080p 60fps.

No. I buy GPU's based on benchmarks. Performance has literally nothing to do with this in my eyes (although it is slower, and some people are affected by that, so to them, its more relevant). The simple fact that a company sold a product and lied about what it was selling is disgusting and illegal. It's as simple as that. Trying to cover it up with some crap like "Oh well no one complained before and now suddenly they want a refund" doesn't work. Because they have been lied to. 

*Washes hands immediately* Lol

Although not publicly announced, Nvidia already apologized for making a mistake about the specs of the card (ROPs and w/e you care about). It was already said that there was a miscommunication with the marketing team. This is a lesson for Nvidia and other companies out there to use as reference in the future. 

But let's be honest here, are people actually looking at ROPs (and w/e you care about)? Me, alongside with many other people, did not even bother looking those specs and based our decision on the directly benchmarks and overclocking ability that was shown. Unless it massively affects the performance of the card, these type of specs doesn't matter. Hell yeah, GTX 1280 with 8 ROPs performs better than a GPU that has 123921398128 JigaROPs.

Corsair 760T White | Asus X99 Deluxe | Intel i7-5930k @ 4.4ghz | Corsair H110 | G.Skill Ripjawz 2400mhz | Gigabyte GTX 970 Windforce G1 Gaming (1584mhz/8000mhz) | Corsair AX 760w | Samsung 850 pro | WD Black 1TB | IceModz Sleeved Cables | IceModz RGB LED pack

This is bog standard, Newegg is not a giant company, and in the end, the card has to go back to the manufacturer anyway.  Nvidia stated that they would be working with their partners to help dissatisfied 970 owners to get their 970s returned, their partners are EVGA, ASUS, MSI, GIgabyte, etc.  If you want it returned go talk to them.  Sure they're not as nice as Amazon, but no one is as nice as Amazon.

AD2000x Review  Fitear To Go! 334 Review

Speakers - KEF LSX

Headphones - Sennheiser HD650, Kumitate Labs KL-Lakh

Keep trying my man.

After writing a book essentially to my NewEgg rep, after them sending me the link to the benchmark, after me telling them I don't want help from their "internal requests" department to send me the same useless benchmarks, after me threatening that I wouldn't shop at NewEgg again, the rep finally offered me a refund of $600 store credit. Yeah, it's $100 less than I paid for both of my cards, but I think that's the best I'm gunna get. I'm actually awaiting and email from the rep to finalize all of that stuff.

Just keep trying. Heavily educate yourself on the matter, and talk like you actually know what you're talking about. That's what I did and it ended up working. :lol:

PCPartPicker link: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/R6GTGX

Привет товарищ ))))

-snip-

Can you edit your post please. The text needs to go up in size. Also I did not see any rules about copy and pasting in the CoC. I would just continue to contact Newegg and keep getting the manager on the line. Maybe write a letter to their corporate office. My company has an executive office that will bypass the person you are talking on the phone with and they have the power to do anything. Maybe Newegg has one. Good luck and cheers.

Love cats and Linus. Check out linuscattips-fan-club. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Z9QDVn and Asus ROG Swift. I love anime as well. Check out Heaven Society heaven-society. My own personal giveaway thread http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/387856-evga-geforce-gtx-970-giveaway-presented-by-grimneo/.

I would disallow refunds to protect consumers from their own ignorance.

I have a 970 and I've run furmark and every other synthetic benchmark, kept overclocking the memory until I had typical driver crashes with each program, and nothing. No stuttering, no delays, just completely fluid performance right up until the unstability-due-to-oc crash.

There is not a fucking problem with this awesome card. People returning them are either sheep, or stupid. ONOES NVIDIA MADE A MISTAKE :o

This is what I think of Pre-Ordering video games: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wp98SH3vW2Y

So tired of the 970 debate... We all know what happened and we all know how the card performs. There's no need for this constant bickering about it. Just let it die already.

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

You know who can always offer you protection? Your credit card company: Charge back the motherfuckers, I'd like to see Newegg argue how the specs they published were true when they're fucking lies.

-------

Current Rig

-------

I would disallow refunds to protect consumers from their own ignorance.

I have a 970 and I've run furmark and every other synthetic benchmark, kept overclocking the memory until I had typical driver crashes with each program, and nothing. No stuttering, no delays, just completely fluid performance right up until the unstability-due-to-oc crash.

There is not a fucking problem with this awesome card. People returning them are either sheep, or stupid. ONOES NVIDIA MADE A MISTAKE :o

As much as I disagree with the overly irate people due to the miscommunication with Nvidia's specs for the 970, I have to disagree with you there on a massive level. People are smart enough to know what they want.

I don't believe people returning the cards are sheep, they just feel cheated, which is fine. They have the right to return the card, even though some of us disagree with the reasoning. Nvidia fucked up and they're hearing it from the community, so hopefully they won't lie to the internet again.

Don't shame the people who are returning them for legitimate reasons.

Good to see that Newegg are denying 970 refunds.

Someone move this to GTX 970 issue thread in the graphic card section.

I was going to suggest the trash. The 970 posts are getting extremely old.

Everybody falsely advertised. it wasn't just newegg. they aren't losing money just because nvidia messed up.

why can't people understand this

Actually, no one falsely advertised. The card has 4GB, as advertised. ROPs and cache weren't advertised to the public. How is this false advertising?

The projects never end in my line of work.

CPU: Dual Xeon E5-2650v2 || GPU: Dual Quadro K5000 || Motherboard: Asus Z9PE-D8 || RAM: 64GB Corsair Vengeance || Monitors: Dual LG 34UM95, NEC MultiSync EA244UHD || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 Pro 256GB in Raid 0, 6x WD Re 4TB in Raid 1 || Sound: Xonar Essense STX (Mainly for Troubleshooting and listening test) || PSU: Corsair Ax1500i

CPU: Core i7 5820k @ 4.7GHz || GPU: Dual Titan X || Motherboard: Asus X99 Deluxe || RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport || Monitors: MX299Q, 29UB65, LG 34UM95 || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB in Raid 0, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, 2TB Toshiba scratch disk, 3TB Seagate Barracuda || PSU: EVGA 1000w PS Platinum

Actually, no one falsely advertised. The card has 4GB, as advertised. ROPs and cache weren't advertised to the public. How is this false advertising?

The ROP's and cache weren't necessarily advertised, but they were given to reviewers like Anandtech and such which a lot of people get their information from instead of trusting Newegg's information, for example, and they published the specs in their articles.

The old Newegg baseline.... What you see in the picts is what you get.

Gonna cuffem and stuffem. QUE QUE QUE. I love it I love it. :P

i7 4790K, Asus Z97 Sabertooth S, Crutial M.2 120gig, 32 Gig Corsair Dominators, Corsair h100i, Seagate ST750XL, 2 X MSI R9 290X Lightning's, Corsair air 540 

The ROP's and cache weren't necessarily advertised, but they were given to reviewers like Anandtech and such which a lot of people get their information from instead of trusting Newegg's information, for example, and they published the specs in their articles.

I understand that, but they didn't put it on their site or product guides. It's a thin line, but they technically didn't advertise it. There is no legal issue here.

CPU: Dual Xeon E5-2650v2 || GPU: Dual Quadro K5000 || Motherboard: Asus Z9PE-D8 || RAM: 64GB Corsair Vengeance || Monitors: Dual LG 34UM95, NEC MultiSync EA244UHD || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 Pro 256GB in Raid 0, 6x WD Re 4TB in Raid 1 || Sound: Xonar Essense STX (Mainly for Troubleshooting and listening test) || PSU: Corsair Ax1500i

CPU: Core i7 5820k @ 4.7GHz || GPU: Dual Titan X || Motherboard: Asus X99 Deluxe || RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport || Monitors: MX299Q, 29UB65, LG 34UM95 || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB in Raid 0, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, 2TB Toshiba scratch disk, 3TB Seagate Barracuda || PSU: EVGA 1000w PS Platinum

People still shop at newegg?? WTF. I would never shop at a B&M store where all sales were final, no returns. Likewise I refuse to buy anything from newegg that has a replacement only return policy.

Main Rig: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/58641-the-i7-950s-gots-to-go-updated-104/ | CPU: Intel i7-4930K | GPU: 2x EVGA Geforce GTX Titan SC SLI| MB: EVGA X79 Dark | RAM: 16GB HyperX Beast 2400mhz | SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256gb | HDD: 2x Western Digital Raptors 74gb | EX-H34B Hot Swap Rack | Case: Lian Li PC-D600 | Cooling: H100i | Power Supply: Corsair HX1050 |

Pfsense Build (Repurposed for plex) https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/715459-pfsense-build/

I understand that, but they didn't put it on their site or product guides. It's a thin line, but they technically didn't advertise it. There is no legal issue here.

I don't understand how all that works, so I'm not going to pretend to, ha. I just know the spec sheets were given to reviewers by Nvidia and they weren't accurate (obviously).

People still shop at newegg?? WTF. I would never shop at a B&M store where all sales were final, no returns. Likewise I refuse to buy anything from newegg that has a replacement only return policy.

Not all sales are final there. They have returns. And did you just call Newegg a brick and mortar store?

But Newegg knows not to give people returns for the just for the hell of it.

They have a return period, OP wasn't in it.

Edited by Prastupok

Newegg will handle normal returns just fine. In this scenario they are electing to NOT get slaughtered by returns on cards that actually aren't broken. That is why Nvidia is telling you to go to BOARD PARTNERS like EVGA, Gigabyte, ASUS, and MSI to handle this BEFORE you head over to a retailer who typically has a 14-30 day return policy and generally doesn't change it willy nilly for any old reason. 

WHO GIVES A CRAP

The people who paid money for it.

cus I don't. look at my profile pic.

Then why are you in this thread? Did someone force you to click, read, and respond against you will?

•  i7 4770k @ 4.5ghz • Noctua NHL12 •  Asrock Z87 Extreme 4 •  ASUS GTX 780 DCII 1156/6300 •

•  Kingston HyperX 16GB  •  Samsung 840 SSD 120GB [boot] + 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM •

•  Fractal Design Define R4  •  Corsair AX860 80+ Platinum •  Logitech Wireless Y-RK49  •  Logitech X-530  •

-snip-

Next time you're going to use ad hominem insults, at least explain why we are clueless. I don't think I misunderstood anything you said at all. Either explain or stop insulting others. 

-snip-

I suggest you not just insult people, great way to get bent. I read what you said about replacement only... but you're a fool if you think they're the only ones. Many music shops only replace certain items like mics because of sanitary reasons. It's industry standard actually.

These cards get OCed and then someone wants a return because they ruined it? That's why.

Nvidia lies about the rop count and cache, and people defend them.

Newegg *effectively* falsely advertised the B.S. Nvidia gave them, and people are telling them "Good job" for not accepting returns.

wtf internet.

I... Uh... Totally didn't buy my 970 from newegg....

"Normandy" i7 4790K - GTX 970 - Phantom 410 (Gun metal) - Z97 Extreme4 (asrock) - 128GB Crucial SSD - 1TB WD HDD - H60 Refurb. - 7 case fans | G710+ Keyboard, G230 Headset, Acer GN246HL Monitor.

Quick thoughts on system: I7 is extremely quick and I'm glad I spent the extra for hyper-threading. I regret my decision to get the GTX 970, it has horrible coil whine. There isn't any excuse for this terrible whine I and others are having. I HIGHLY recommend a 144hz monitor. Future Improvements/upgrades: Rubber fan mounts, basic speakers, more ram (for a total of 16gb), replace GPU.

144hz is love. 144hz is life. I like to submit unfinished posts then do about 20 edits. I like the Night Theme too.

Nvidia lies about the rop count and cache, and people defend them.

Newegg *effectively* falsely advertised the B.S. Nvidia gave them, and people are telling them "Good job" for not accepting returns.

wtf internet.

I... Uh... Totally didn't buy my 970 from newegg....

Wrong wrong wrong.

Don't spread the wrong information. It's a cancer. The two arguments are 1) The card only has 3.5GB when they said 4GB or 2) They lied about the ROPs/Cache

#1) The card has 4GB of vram. I'm tired of explaining this. The bandwidth is lower, not the capacity.

#2) It's not false advertising if they never advertised it. There was no public sheet published by Nvidia that said it had 2MB of L2 cache, or the ROP count. It was sent to reviewers, but not publicly advertised.

There is no false advertisement if the information in question wasn't advertised.

Unless the card doesn't work as advertised, no one should accept returns outside of the return period.

Can we PLEASE stop with the 970 posts? It's so unnecessary. If you like Nvidia cards, the 970 will work fine. If you like AMD cards, instead of fanboying all over the place, get a R9 290 and everyone calm the hell down.

/facepalm

Edited by Prastupok

Newegg is real good on shipping fast and having stock. if anything goes wrong they are lacking. Had a few issues with Newegg before that will keep me from shopping there anymore.  Now that Amazon carries 99% of the stuff i need I get my stuff there anyways. 

Wrong wrong wrong.

Don't spread the wrong information. It's a cancer. The two arguments are 1) The card only has 3.5GB when they said 4GB or 2) They lied about the ROPs/Cache

#1) The card has 4GB of vram. I'm tired of explaining this. The bandwidth is lower, not the capacity.

#2) It's not false advertising if they never advertised it. There was no public sheet published by Nvidia that said it had 2MB of L2 cache, or the ROP count. It was sent to reviewers, but not publicly advertised.

There is no false advertisement if the information in question wasn't advertised.

Unless the card doesn't work as advertised, no one should accept returns outside of the return period.

Wrong wrong wrong.

False advertising or deceptive advertising is the use of false or misleading statements in advertising, and misrepresentation of the product at hand, which may negatively affect many stakeholders, especially consumers. As advertising has the potential to persuade people into commercial transactions that they might otherwise avoid, many governments around the world use regulations to control false, deceptive or misleading advertising. "Truth" refers to essentially the same concept, that customers have the right to know what they are buying, and that all necessary information should be on the label.

They advertised the bandwidth of the card. The bandwidth of the last .5GB is significantly lower and this was never mentioned. It's falsely advertised. It doesn't matter whether it's intentional or not.

/facepalm

The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had.