That time EA tried (and failed) to surprise everyone by adding fullscreen adverts to a $60 game 2 weeks after it launched

Master Disaster
18 minutes ago, IAmAndre said:

I understand that it's a stupid move but in many sports games there are ads to make the game more realistic, like in the 2K series. These are "fake" ads because they are the same you would see on a regular NBA broadcast.

In this particular case they aren't particularly invasive so why not?

Because EA are charging people full price for the game already.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Ahaha such a fing joke. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Really wish amazon would fuck off with this shitty marketing campaign for The Boys. First we got some cringe edgy header for imgur, now full screen ads in a full price game. I love the Boys but bezos is making me not want to support them. Oh wait I dont pay for prime anyways, fuck you bezos

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

8 hours ago, handymanshandle said:

Madden 21 was a failure. UFC 4 is shaping up to be a failure. Need for Speed: Heat failed. 

Exactly what has EA succeeded in within the last year?

I've seen/heard about Madden being a failure, but not giving a single fuck about football in general I have no idea why. What about it could possibly be so much worse than the past 25 years?

I'm also just going to start the clock now for these ads being placed back in t-minus 3 months. Why people continue to buy and then be shocked that EA does the same shit every time is genuinely amazing. "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me 4 or 5 times, shame on you!"

6 hours ago, RejZoR said:

Remember when Need for Speed had Old Spice billboards?

Remember when Burnout Paradise had vote for Obama billboards? And... Diesel clothes vans/stores for some reason?

In all actuality, billboards are fine, provided they match the setting. They exist in actuality and add an amount of "authenticity" to the world. I'd take Old Spice over GTA's "Smell like a bitch" perfume and toe shoes billboards any day.

#Muricaparrotgang

Lol.  What a lot of people don't know is that paid cable TV was promised without ads and then they started serving 'em.  Nobody's going to do crap about game art being an actual ad. 

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

3 hours ago, WereCat said:

The only other in-game ads I remember were in Arma 3 for the DLC when you picked up a DLC weapon or driven a vehicle that was from DLC you haven't purchased, you would get almost a full screen semi-transparent window from time to time that would advertise that particular DLC. 

It was really annoying but at least you could use the DLC stuff without having to pay for it. 

This is too much... 

Hmm. It won't let me use any weapons or drive vehicles. In fact, I once got in a van, which is in the base game but it has a DLC paint job, and it just spontaneously exploded. Had to spawn another one and ride shotgun. And any time I do that I get a pop-up saying it's DLC and when I try to close the game/server it makes me look at an advert for the DLC for 30 seconds because I hopped in and immediately out of a vehicle.

3 hours ago, WereCat said:

Hello there EA marketing manager. 

Yes, I always wanted ads in games for more realism. I think that you should also make artificially long loading times to fit more ads into them. 

Well duh, ad space on real TV is on average 7 minutes every half hour. They need to match that for the added realism.

2 hours ago, S w a t s o n said:

Really wish amazon would fuck off with this shitty marketing campaign for The Boys. First we got some cringe edgy header for imgur, now full screen ads in a full price game. I love the Boys but bezos is making me not want to support them. Oh wait I dont pay for prime anyways, fuck you bezos

Michael Reeves also made a laser eye baby.

#Muricaparrotgang

5 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

Because EA are charging people full price for the game already.

6 hours ago, WereCat said:

Hello there EA marketing manager. 

Yes, I always wanted ads in games for more realism. I think that you should also make artificially long loading times to fit more ads into them. 

Both FIFA and 2K are paid full price and have micro transactions on top of that. The first 2K game played was NBA 2K6 and such ads and product placements were already present to some extent.

The point is there would be ads anyway. If you play NBA 2K, there are ads before, during, and after the game like "This is the first half highlights brought to you by [brand X] [insert slogan]". It's pretty much the same in FIFA. So basically you would get tons of ads anyway because that's what sport broadcasts look like, and these brands do make money through these "fake" ads because their name is mentioned. So the only difference here is that these aren't the brands you would see on a typical TV broadcast (as far as I know) but picked by EA so there's not much difference.

11 hours ago, handymanshandle said:

Madden 21 was a failure. UFC 4 is shaping up to be a failure. Need for Speed: Heat failed. 

Exactly what has EA succeeded in within the last year?

Have you actually played Need for Speed Heat? It wasn't really that bad. With that said, I paid $30 for it, versus the full $60. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

6 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Have you actually played Need for Speed Heat? It wasn't really that bad. With that said, I paid $30 for it, versus the full $60. 

Oh, it's not a bad game, never implied it was, but EA failed to give it the attention it needed and let Ghost Games hang dry because of it. 

Sad thing, honestly. Probably the only studio barring DICE that knew how to use Frostbite worth a fuck.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

OK, serious question. 

Would you guys accept ads in a free game instead of micro transaction? 

I personally would prefer that, I like having different skins, etc... I don't really pay for that stuff except very few cases I did for very small price. 

Or case 2.

If we got a game that's for example $60 and it contains a decent SP campaign and a MP mode, would you accept if the game was $40 with no ads for SP but with ads for MP? 

3 minutes ago, WereCat said:

OK, serious question. 

I personally would prefer that, I like having different skins, etc... I don't really pay for that stuff except very few cases I did for very small price. 

Or case 2.

If we got a game that's for example $60 and it contains a decent SP campaign and a MP mode, would you accept if the game was $40 with no ads for SP but with ads for MP? 

Thats an interesting proposition. I think I would personally pass on that, ads can be very disruptive to my entertainment, and I would prefer to have microtransactions available and just ignore them. The only time I will do micro transactions is if I want to support the game because I beleive in what the studio is doing anyways. Involuntary ads vs voluntary micro transactions is an easy choice for me.

I would take ads that you have the ability to pay to stop from happening over loot boxes though, but then again, I usually avoid games with lootboxes if they are particularly predatory.

Daily Driver (Lenovo Y700 Laptop)

Manjaro Linux  ||||  Intel Core i7-6700HQ  ||||  16GB DDR4-2666    ||||   GeForce GTX 960m  

250GB Samsung 970 Evo | 500GB Samung 840 Evo 

Windows Gaming PC

Windows 10 Pro  |||   Intel Core i7-10700k  |||   32GB DDR4-3600  |||   GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER  |||   MSI z490 A-Pro  |||   EVGA Supernova G2 650w 80+ Gold

120GB SSD | 1TB WD Blue 7200RPM

Bedroom HTPC and Emulation Box

Manjaro Linux  ||||   Intel Xeon E3-1231v3  ||||   8GB DDR3-1333  |||  Radeon RX 460   |||  Asus B85M-G

120GB SSD

Living Room HTPC - Optiplex 790 SFF

Manjaro Linux  |||  Intel Core i5-2400  |||  8GB DDR3-1333  |||  Radeon HD 5450

120GB SSD

39 minutes ago, WereCat said:

I don't mind having both as long as:

- Ads aren't too intrusive (some game have a dedicated page where you can view ads to get in-game currency)

- micro transaction is only for cosmetics, if it's P2W then no.

I would be very less likely to play a game if it requires me to pay upfront to play it like how Tera used to be

that said, if I had to pick between forking out cash or having to see some not-very-intrusive Ads every couple minutes, I would pick Ads as I'm cheap :(

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

12 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

I'll start by quoting Jim Sterling. Making some money is not enough these days, they're only happy if they make all of the money and even then they still wont really be happy.

Fans have created a HUGE backlash after a Reddit post pointed out that EA Sports UFC 4 is now showing full screen adverts during replays as well as smaller "card" style adverts at other points during matches and an advert which covered the majority of the ring canvas. All adverts were for the Amazon Prime exclusive show The Boys.

As pointed out in the title of the Reddit post, EA waited until 2 weeks after release to turn this feature on, something which an obvious attempt at dodging reviewers and makes the apology (which we will get to later) make no sense at all. To add insult to injury they also thought it would be a good idea to retroactively add adverts into UFC 3, a game which came out 2 years ago now. Seems like they were worried UFC 4 users would simply go back to playing UFC 3 to avoid the ads.

UFC 4 was already under fire from fans before this for its MANY glitches and bugs plus the fact very little was changed between UFC 3 and UFC 4. Its also worth pointing out, UFC 4 already has microtransactions in it too.

EA have now pulled the adverts from both UFC 3 and UFC 4 and issued an "apology", or should I say a "Sorry we got caught" which following standard operating procedure claims ignorance.

Yeah, because they didn't realise that fans wouldn't like this before they launched it.... That's why they waited for 2 weeks after launch to avoid reviewers.

Anyway right now UFC 4 is sitting at a 1.8 on Metacritic.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-09-05-ea-on-the-ropes-after-adding-in-game-ads-to-ufc-4

I'm so glad I no longer invest much time in gaming as a hobby. These days I might buy 3 to 4 games a year maximum and only 1 of those I'll pay full price for. The only silver lining is that gamers seem to be finally waking up to just how much they're getting ripped off and are starting to push back against it.

I don't get the issue, makes it more realistic IMHO and you'd just be getting the UFC logo anyway. Hasn't FIFA done this with the advertisement boards already for years? 

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

12 hours ago, jaslion said:

These are adding non advertised features to a game after launch and this can easily be seen as false advertising of the product in a way.

and then every and all online games would be banned. goodbye MMOs.

2 hours ago, WereCat said:

OK, serious question. 

Or case 2.

The only mtx that should be in a full price game is cosmetics only. Case 2 I would still deem full price, artificially lowing a games price so they can shovel ads in it would be unacceptable 

Free to play, they can go ham with

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

9 hours ago, IAmAndre said:

I understand that it's a stupid move but in many sports games there are ads to make the game more realistic, like in the 2K series. These are "fake" ads because they are the same you would see on a regular NBA broadcast.

In this particular case they aren't particularly invasive so why not?

isn't the player supposed to be the fighter though, fighters dont see adds :| 

32 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

isn't the player supposed to be the fighter though, fighters dont see adds :| 

Since it's not a VR game (or something with a first person view), it's supposed to reproduce a TV experience. Fighters don't hear the comments or see the stats either.

24 minutes ago, IAmAndre said:

Since it's not a VR game (or something with a first person view), it's supposed to reproduce a TV experience. Fighters don't hear the comments or see the stats either.

Well shit if that's the case then charge them the normal PPV price for each match and call it a day while you're at it...

Spoiler

/s for anyone without a brain...seriously though, could you be more of an EA shill with an answer like that? "It's supposed to reproduce a TV experience"!?!? Seriously??? The fact that you're playing from the third person doesn't instantly make it reproducing a TV experience, it makes it easier for gameplay because you can see everything your opponent does more easily than if it were first person. Can you imagine how confusing it would be (even for VR) if it were first person and your opponent got you in some kind of hold? You wouldn't be able to tell what kind of move they had you in because your only sense that is functioning is sight and your character would be face down against the mat, it's not like the player can FEEL what type of hold they're in...gtfo of here with that nonsense.

14 minutes ago, imreloadin said:

Well shit if that's the case then charge them the normal PPV price for each match and call it a day while you're at it...

Reveal hidden contents

/s for anyone without a brain...seriously though, could you be more of an EA shill with an answer like that? "It's supposed to reproduce a TV experience"!?!? Seriously??? The fact that you're playing from the third person doesn't instantly make it reproducing a TV experience, it makes it easier for gameplay because you can see everything your opponent does more easily than if it were first person. Can you imagine how confusing it would be (even for VR) if it were first person and your opponent got you in some kind of hold? You wouldn't be able to tell what kind of move they had you in because your only sense that is functioning is sight and your character would be face down against the mat, it's not like the player can FEEL what type of hold they're in...gtfo of here with that nonsense.

Very constructive comment. I see you're just not into sports games so why are you complaining anyway?

CoD players should just join the army and be done with it.

Can't people just fucking stop buying their games? It won't get any better, it won't improve, it won't do shit if you keep buying their games.

NFS is fucked, FIFA is pure milking at its maximum as FIFA is the same every year and they just reskin it. But nooooo, people just gotta buy their games...

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

31 minutes ago, CTR640 said:

Can't people just fucking stop buying their games? It won't get any better, it won't improve, it won't do shit if you keep buying their games.

NFS is fucked, FIFA is pure milking at its maximum as FIFA is the same every year and they just reskin it. But nooooo, people just gotta buy their games...

They do make some good games like Fallen Order or A Way Out. I personally skipped FIFA for a year because I was tired of the "milking" but the problem is there is no competition although I would love to see it. PES sucks even more. If Konami could get their shit together, we could expect a scenario like NBA 2K vs NBA Live, with Live barely existing now.

Now the thing with FIFA is that many people don't care about the micro transactions because that's their only game. It's pretty the same situation with The Sims. And it works. During the lockdown only the FUT generated over a billion dollars only with micro transactions.

Bet this will be a normal addition to games in a year or less. EA and other companies have been through it before, they push a change no one likes and just accept the outrage once. People only get mad once.

1 hour ago, IAmAndre said:

Very constructive comment. I see you're just not into sports games so why are you complaining anyway?

I've owned a couple of MMA/Boxing games over the years but that is irrelevant honestly. It might be hard to believe, but people who aren't "into sports games" can still complain about this type of practice because it affects the industry as a whole. You don't think that other devs seeing EA pull this type of shit further emboldens them to do the same? They're getting additional money from it so obviously there is a financial incentive for other developers to do the same if they can see that EA gets away with it with little push-back from their consumer base. The same thing happened with micro-transactions, once a major publisher did it the rest followed suit because it's seen as additional profits that they are missing out on if they don't and they then have the shield of whataboutism with the other publishers who are actively doing it.

So yes, people who don't like sports games can still complain about this because it affects the industry as a whole.