LTT Folding Team's Emergency Response to Covid-19

Go to solution Solved by GOTSpectrum,

This event has ended and I recommend you guys head over to the Folding Community Board for any general folding conversation. 

Just now, vile1 said:

Nope! You good!

I'm a little concerned about it because I'm unable to open the web control page since on both of the computers, it sticks on loading and refreshes. This means I can only control it from advanced control and see my point on the general team page. Why the web control is not working, is it only me?

1 minute ago, Muhlis Gursoy said:

I'm a little concerned about it because I'm unable to open the web control page since on both of the computers, it sticks on loading and refreshes. This means I can only control it from advanced control and see my point on the general team page. Why the web control is not working, is it only me?

Hi, this is a bug (are you using Chrome?) - open it in incognito mode, or use a different browser and it shouldn't constantly refresh :)

17 hours ago, Kilrah said:

Configure, slots, cpu, set number of threads. Leave one thead free per GPU, but it should do that by default already.

Your GPU PPD looks normal though.

Hello again,

I've decided to stop my CPU from folding, as my overall PPD estimate dropped by about 100k with it running.

Would it be advisable to leave just the GPU's running, or do you think tweaking core counts might help distribute?

Thanks

I'm fairly new to all this Folding buisness, but progressing well it seems. I just want to say thank you to @GOTSpectrum and everyone that has helped and all of us that is participating in it. I'm from the UK where the panic is setting in fairly well, which is madness, but nonetheless, Folding and this community is giving not just me hope, but also a lot of my elderly parents. Thank you all!

16 hours ago, ShortRouter said:

Alright my estimates are done! Took me longer than I assumed, basically I made a spreadsheet including 80 % of most common GPUs (Steam hardware survey Feb 2020, integrated graphics sorted out and only dedicated FAH-compatible GPUs accounted for) giving me a good representation among folders I think, GPU model percentages among steam users, gathered FP32 TFLOPS data (stock clocks for NVIDIA) for each GPU and the average of the active FAH users in the last 24 hours as of 03.19.20 03.19.20. Here are the results, also compared to the currently fastest supercomputer in the world. Assuming Extreme Overclocking active users number is correct, anywhere between 284 and 347 PFLOPS was produced through GPU folding alone (on average in a recent 24 hour period) not accounting for multi-GPU configs! This is the actual estimated GPU output close to reality. The potential output assuming unlimited, immediate delivery of WUs is probably several times higher than that so we will certainly see increases soon as new servers are being rolled out! You may use my Excel table to input the user number in the yellow field which will magically calculate output based on the input number. That way you can simulate any user number you like with the corresponding output and quit guessing in the dark.

@Valentyn @Victor Golf@minibois

FAH GPU output estimate 24h 19_03_20.xlsx 13.78 kB · 7 downloads

excel sheet sniplet.PNG

EDIT: Where do I find active users number without FAH stats??

Go to Extreme Overclocking --> teams --> hover over any team active users number and it will display a percentage. Divide number by showed percentage and multiply by 100 will give you total active user number. This is the workaround until the official stats page is up. E.g. 25650 / 34,13 * 100 = 75154 active users which you insert into the yellow box in the Excel sheet.

1388020201_howdoifindoutactiveusersfoh.thumb.PNG.03f2b182294fd96a0fba272272d991f9.PNG

Major error creeped in my results text. I stated 284 and 347 TFLOPS, it is PFLOPS instead, as you can also see in the table. Note also that here we use commas as decimal points and vice versa. Additional note: This assumes 1 active GPU per active user. How many of the active users in that period were indeed folding on a GPU is unknown. Nonetheless, this gives us an outlook at an optimal situation with stated number of users.

Comparison with Summit supercomputer stays relevant because it's the same as if you would benchmark our GPUs all at once but you still have to add our combined CPU FLOPS which from my research is around 10% of total FLOPS.

Accounting for modern cards automatically boosting their clocks within power and temperature constraints, I added 10 % performance increase for the estimated GPU FLOPS. (exact boost clocks cannot be seriously calculated as it depoends on model, production date due to different BIOS, thermals in each individual PC case(!), etc.)

Excuse any scientific shortcomings in my methods, just a graduate student having fun with Excel lol.

So annoyed my new parts wont arrive until the middle of this, was looking forward to throwing 3950X at the problem. Have to make to with old slugger.

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

3 minutes ago, Greenytica said:

So annoyed my new parts wont arrive until the middle of this, was looking forward to throwing 3950X at the problem. Have to make to with old slugger.

That sucks... But out of curiosity, what CPU is the old slugger?

I've made an agreement with myself, if I crack 10 mill, during my lockdown here in DK, I get to buy new parts 😇 Blackbetty deserves it!

4 minutes ago, Daniel_SC said:

That sucks... But out of curiosity, what CPU is the old slugger?

I've made an agreement with myself, if I crack 10 mill, during my lockdown here in DK, I get to buy new parts 😇 Blackbetty deserves it!

6850k, 2011-3 era. Sli 1080Ti should help though. Ordered really....... really overkill upgrade at the start of the month, but still hasn't shipped because Ram is holding it up. Yay Australian supply issues (I'm sure it sucks everywhere, but it sucks here even when everything isn't falling to bits globally).

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Okay, little morning WU done on my 2080S, but now time to pause because Doom Eternal :P

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

1 minute ago, Greenytica said:

6850k, 2011-3 era. Sli 1080Ti should help though. Ordered really....... really overkill upgrade at the start of the month, but still hasn't shipped because Ram is holding it up. Yay Australian supply issues (I'm sure it sucks everywhere, but it sucks here even when everything isn't falling to bits globally).

Afaik it's maybe just now beginning to get as bad in the EU. If I ordered one a month ago I'm failry certain it would've arrived within a day or two though.

1 hour ago, RestlessRancor said:

Hello again,

I've decided to stop my CPU from folding, as my overall PPD estimate dropped by about 100k with it running.

Would it be advisable to leave just the GPU's running, or do you think tweaking core counts might help distribute?

Thanks

In my opinion, yes. average GPU is at least 10x more powerful than CPU and performance per Watt for CPU is extremely bad compared to GPU. However, there are CPU-only projects which have to be done as well, so if you don't care about your power bill keep the CPU folding. There is a guide to reserving some CPU cores to feed the GPU which will most likely solve your problem. Alternatively, put performance slider to medium. It  will use 50 % of your CPU for folding and 100 % GPU (once system goes in idle mode). Look out for overheating issues, your PPD drop could also be due to GPU/CPU throttling their clockspeeds running into temp limits.

3 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Okay, little morning WU done on my 2080S, but now time to pause because Doom Eternal :P

Try playing it while GPU folding! Just remove CPU slot and you'd be surprised what's possible on modern hardware!

1 hour ago, RestlessRancor said:

Hi all,

This is frustrating and has happened to me a few times. Each time it has, pausing all clients, restarting my PC and unpausing the folding worked and they uploaded soon after.

I've tried that, does't work. The server for that project literally cannot accept anything. It's a known issue know for days.

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

12 minutes ago, ShortRouter said:

In my opinion, yes. average GPU is at least 10x more powerful than CPU and performance per Watt for CPU is extremely bad compared to GPU. However, there are CPU-only projects which have to be done as well, so if you don't care about your power bill keep the CPU folding. There is a guide to reserving some CPU cores to feed the GPU which will most likely solve your problem. Alternatively, put performance slider to medium. It  will use 50 % of your CPU for folding and 100 % GPU (once system goes in idle mode). Look out for overheating issues, your PPD drop could also be due to GPU/CPU throttling their clockspeeds running into temp limits.

Hi, thank you for the advice.

If I put the slider to medium will the CPU run at 50% and GPU's at 100% even if I have 'while I'm working' ticked? This ultimately isn't a big problem, as all that computer is set up to do is fold currently, so if that only works whilst idle that's not a big deal.

I'm not fussed about how many points I earn in the sense of gaining as many points as possible, but I would like to maximize it as it helps with the research faster, so I might tweak the core settings and see how that pans out. (And power usage costs are not a concern at the moment)

So, in config > CPU > edit > "The number of CPU threads this slot should use", do I change this from -1 to 6? (1 for each GPU)? It's an i7-6700K, in Task Manager it says '4 cores, 8 logical processors'.

I'm running CPUID HWMonitor and have the CPU and GPU temperatures open and monitor them closely. When all three are folding the CPU is in the high 80's (it peaked at 94, averaged about 89-90) and the GPU's are averaging 80. (celcius).

Thanks!

9 minutes ago, Valentyn said:

I've tried that, does't work. The server for that project literally cannot accept anything. It's a known issue know for days.

That's frustrating sorry to hear that didn't work!

As of today, F@H had a 6.7 % active users increase within a day! They gonna need some serious servers at this rate!

7 minutes ago, RestlessRancor said:

Hi, thank you for the advice.

If I put the slider to medium will the CPU run at 50% and GPU's at 100% even if I have 'while I'm working' ticked? This ultimately isn't a big problem, as all that computer is set up to do is fold currently.

I'm not fussed about how many points I earn in the sense of gaining as many points as possible, but I would like to maximize it as it helps with the research faster, so I might tweak the core settings and see how that pans out.

So, in config > CPU > edit > "The number of CPU threads this slot should use", do I change this from -1 to 6? (1 for each GPU)? It's an i7-6700K, in Task Manager it says '4 cores, 8 logical processors'.

I'm running CPUID HWMonitor and have the CPU and GPU temperatures open and monitor them closely. When all three are folding the CPU is in the high 80's (it peaked at 94, averaged about 89-90) and the GPU's are averaging 80. (celcius).

Thanks!

my bad, at medium it's 75 % CPU: https://foldingathome.org/faqs/fah-v7/v7-introduction/web-control/folding-power-slider/

For the exact CPU core config I cannot help you because I'm new to folding myself. Since your CPU is so hot, I would recommend removing the CPU slot altogether, which will also give your GPUs more cool air to breathe allowing them to boost higher and making up for the CPU slot. Any higher than 80 °C on GPU is not recommended for 24/7 operation unless it's an AMD GPU^^

2 minutes ago, ShortRouter said:

my bad, at medium it's 75 % CPU: https://foldingathome.org/faqs/fah-v7/v7-introduction/web-control/folding-power-slider/

For the exact CPU core config I cannot help you because I'm new to folding myself. Since your CPU is so hot, I would recommend removing the CPU slot altogether, which will also give your GPUs more cool air to breathe allowing them to boost higher and making up for the CPU slot. Any higher than 80 °C on GPU is not recommended for 24/7 operation unless it's an AMD GPU^^

No problem, thank you for the help. I'll leave the CPU out for now. This desktop hasn't run for about a year and I could literally smell the CPU the first time around 😅 but was happier with the thermals once I de-dusted.

I'll leave the CPU out for now. I have a feeling I'm in the folding 'game' for the long-run, so when I finish my degree and am earning again I think I'll be looking at building a folding specific setup :D

Points are finally being added again thankfully. Sadly I work for a different team, and before this I was in the PCMR one Haha.
Wrapping up these WU's and then some DOOM.Screenshot_915.png.5a15518599a60a85c02203df19dd2780.png

1 minute ago, Valentyn said:

Points are finally being added again thankfully. Sadly I work for a different team, and before this I was in the PCMR one Haha.
Wrapping up these WU's and then some DOOM.Screenshot_915.png.5a15518599a60a85c02203df19dd2780.png

It runs so well, that I'm, able to keep folding at medium, and still get a locked 100 fps 3440x1440p, with pretty high settings! Rip and tear 🤘

29 minutes ago, Valentyn said:

Sadly I work for a different team, and before this I was in the PCMR one Haha.

why_would_you_do_that.gif.105960d9cc3b93966509d417a41661b8.gif

LTT team number is 223518 if you ever decide to join us.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

43 minutes ago, Daniel_SC said:

It runs so well, that I'm, able to keep folding at medium, and still get a locked 100 fps 3440x1440p, with pretty high settings! Rip and tear 🤘

Might try it! Since I run 100Hz 3440x1440 anyway. So high settings, should hopefully let me keep folding.

15 minutes ago, Spotty said:

LTT team number is 223518 if you ever decide to join us.

For the glory of Navels of course!