RTX picking up steam - Cyberpunk 2077 & Watch Dogs: Legion join the growing list of RTX titles

illegalwater

While Ray Tracing is just starting out, anyone in the market for a new video card, get a RTX so you can experience Ray Tracing. By the time you need to upgrade to a newer GPU which is like  4-5 years from now, Ray Tracing on the new gpu you're going to get will be improved, and you can enjoy it even more. It's those who already have a 1070 to 1080Ti who are seeing Ray Tracing isn't ready yet. I can't blame them as they're trying to justified their purchase, If I had a 1070, 1080, or 1080Ti, I would probably say the same thing.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Hopefully CD Projekt Red will do a better job of this than what they did with hairworks on the Witcher 3.

49 minutes ago, SenpaiKaplan said:

Ugh. I want it now. I want an RTX card and i want this game. Also a new display so I can enjoy that sexy raytraced beauty at 4k/144Hz...

You can't have both ray tracing and high frame-rates. It's one or the other for now.

Great, but I feel like a very limited amount of pc gamers will actually get to enjoy it. I definitely won't, performance to price ratio of those RTX cards is just too low for my taste (and my wallet).

5 hours ago, NumLock21 said:

While Ray Tracing is just starting out, anyone in the market for a new video card, get a RTX so you can experience Ray Tracing. By the time you need to upgrade to a newer GPU which is like  4-5 years from now, Ray Tracing on the new gpu you're going to get will be improved, and you can enjoy it even more. It's those who already have a 1070 to 1080Ti who are seeing Ray Tracing isn't ready yet. I can't blame them as they're trying to justified their purchase, If I had a 1070, 1080, or 1080Ti, I would probably say the same thing.

So what you're saying is just buy it?

Now if only there was a competitor to Nvidia that would offer a good product that I could purchase, to utilize ray tracing in Cyberpunk 2077.

A product that was actually more powerful than the card I currently have AND ray tracing enabled. I really do not want to give Nvidia more of my hard earned money.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

image.thumb.png.4323d3013561aefb78d15aef16a16ed7.png

This... really isn't that impressive. We already have puddle reflections...

image.thumb.png.526ed3283032e8066271588c3cb1bafe.png

yeah it's marginally better but is it worth halving your framerate or worse?

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 hour ago, Trixanity said:

So what you're saying is just buy it?

Upgrading from your ancient video card, then yeah, just buy it. Since you are spending a great amount, might as well grab the card with the most features it has to offer.

Have a pretty new card, then no, wait until a few more years, and get whatever card that comes out then, with the most features. 

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

8 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

Upgrading from your ancient video card, then yeah, just buy it. Since you are spending a great amount, might as well grab the card with the most features it has to offer.

Or get a card with a decent value proposition now and another one 2-3 years from now when this technology is more mature and doesn't cost you 60% of your card's performance.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

5 hours ago, VegetableStu said:

RAYTRACE THAT BREATHTAKING FACE

I feel this needs to be meme'd.

I always liked running old games on newer hardware, being able to go with maximum settings on a equipment that doesn't cost more than 1000$ because of performance improvements over time, so even if there's no way I'd get RTX 2080, I'm happy for that.

2 hours ago, Sauron said:

This... really isn't that impressive. We already have puddle reflections...

Cyberpunk is using RT global illumination, not reflections.

Dell S2721DGF - RTX 3070 XC3 - i5 12600K

8 hours ago, SenpaiKaplan said:

Cyberpunk is getting DXR!?

Thats gonna look sooooooooo goooooooooooooood...

Ugh. I want it now. I want an RTX card and i want this game. Also a new display so I can enjoy that sexy raytraced beauty at 4k/144Hz...

You will want to do it at 4k 98hz tbh. Gotta have that HDR10. 

2 hours ago, Sauron said:

Marginal improvements at great costs, that's how bleeding edge works right? heh

I don't really care about DXR as is right now, the only implementation that seems to add any eye candy for me is Global Illumination as per Metro Exodus, which is the most taxing Ray Tracing mechanic yet so less likely to wide spread adoption.

Ray Traced reflections? not impressive at all if I'm honest, vanilla rasterization nails reflections more than good enough to keep fully immersive, testing with BF5 it really fail to impress me and like shown above in this thread Cyberpunk 77 Ray Traced reflection example is on pair with the considerable older Deus Ex Mankind Divided rasterization reflections.

8 hours ago, NumLock21 said:

It's those who already have a 1070 to 1080Ti who are seeing Ray Tracing isn't ready yet.

Because it's true, Turing did not provide performance improvements from Pascal, with the 1080 Ti = 2080 / 1080 = 2070 / 1070 Ti = 2060 / 1070 = 1660 Ti at same price points there really isn't any reason to get into Ray Tracing yet specially when it's implementation still adds only marginal graphical improvements over current day rasterization techniques, at a great performance cost.

Cyberpunk77 will look beautifully without Ray Tracing and someone with a 1080 Ti or a Radeon 7 will have pretty much an identical experience of someone with a RTX 2080, some fancier reflections that are mimic'd good enough through rasterization at the cost of significant FPS won't really be a justification yet...

But here in 5 years when we get second gen RTX cards with real performance improvements and a true mature DXR implementation starting to get spread then "Just Buy It" will finally make sense.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Yeah this is cool and all but that is going to melt everything that isn't a 2080 ti (even that might not be strong enough), I can already see this game having pretty high requirements

15 hours ago, System32.exe said:

This stuff takes time, they couldn't just snap their fingers and have 100 titles lined up on day one for their first gen RT hardware.

Isn't this exactly what console manufacturers do at every new generational launch? ;) Maybe not 100 titles, but we both know that's an exaggerated figure. They get the hardware in advance, they work with partners, so they have things properly prepared for the launch. 

Nvidia is not a small company. They could have made this happen with more than the couple of titles that they had on RTX release, and with the speed at which performance improved, you just know that could have been improved pre-release too.

This just leads back to the fact that the RTX launch was poor from multiple angles.

⠀⠀⠀⣴⣴⡤
⠀⣠⠀⢿⠇⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⢷⡗
⠀⢶⢽⠿⣗⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣼⡧⠂⠀⠀⣼⣷⡆
⠀⠀⣾⢶⠐⣱⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣤⣜⣻⣧⣲⣦⠤⣧⣿⠶
⠀⢀⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠛⠿⣿⣿⣷⣤⣄⡹⣿⣷
⠀⢸⣿⢸⣿⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠙⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⠀⠿⠃⠈⠿⠆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠹⠿⠿⠿

⠀⢀⢀⡀⠀⢀⣤⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡀⡀
⠀⣿⡟⡇⠀⠭⡋⠅⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⣟⢿
⠀⣹⡌⠀⠀⣨⣾⣷⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀⢈⠔⠌
⠰⣷⣿⡀⢐⢿⣿⣿⢻⠀⠀⠀⢠⣿⡿⡤⣴⠄⢀⣀⡀
⠘⣿⣿⠂⠈⢸⣿⣿⣸⠀⠀⠀⢘⣿⣿⣀⡠⣠⣺⣿⣷
⠀⣿⣿⡆⠀⢸⣿⣿⣾⡇⠀⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣗⣻⡻⠿⠁
⠀⣿⣿⡇⠀⢸⣿⣿⡇⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁

5 minutes ago, Ross Siggers said:

Isn't this what console manufacturers do at every new generational launch? ;) Maybe not 100 titles, but we both know that's an exaggerated figure. They get the hardware in advance, they work with partners, so they have things properly prepared for the launch. 

Nvidia is not a small company. They could have made this happen with more than the couple of titles that they had on RTX release, and with the speed at which performance improved, you just know that could have been improved pre-release too.

This just leads back to the fact that the RTX launch was poor. 

No? Console launches tend to come with only a few titles. Also consoles =/= GPUs, there's a hell of a lot more incentive to make games for a new console release over supporting the latest GPU features because the former involves making tons of money directly off game sales.

15 hours ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Oh, you mean Nvidia's finally getting their hardware utilization in order now? Like what they should've done from the get-go?

Please don’t be ignorant, stuff takes time to be adopted even if it is a good feature. As you can see, it’s moving along quite well 

13 hours ago, mr moose said:

The 5060 when it releases will still be the same Price/perf for it's time as the 2060 is now as the 1060 was and as the 960 was also.    The whole thing scales. 

For ray tracing this won't be true. Ray tracing there is a hard limit where you do not see further improvement for each subsequent pass. At one point the performance will reach its limit and if the chip get better you will have the same near perfect result just pooping more frame per seconds that's it.

The only thing that will change the performance would be larger resolution OR if game actually implement the real winner which is path tracing and that's a whole another story

5 minutes ago, System32.exe said:

No? Console launches tend to come with only a few titles. Also consoles =/= GPUs, there's a hell of a lot more incentive to make games for a new console release over supporting the latest GPU features because the former involves making tons of money directly off game sales.

Xbox 360 launch titles = 18

Playstation 3 launch titles = 21

Playstation 4 launch titles = 23

Xbox One launch titles = 23

Released games that currently have Ray Tracing options = 6
Including announced but unreleased games = 17

We're 8 months post RTX release. And one of those released games is fucking QUAKE 2.

~~~

I mean sure, there's more at stake in terms of pure volume, and more potential revenue in a console release I won't argue that. But christ, Nvidia were out there selling RTX2080ti's at $1200, which is double the famously expensive PS3 launch price of $599. Nvidia are hardly counting pennies here.

Their GPU's are still part of a huge industry, and the preparations they made for release were woefully inadequate.

⠀⠀⠀⣴⣴⡤
⠀⣠⠀⢿⠇⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⢷⡗
⠀⢶⢽⠿⣗⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣼⡧⠂⠀⠀⣼⣷⡆
⠀⠀⣾⢶⠐⣱⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣤⣜⣻⣧⣲⣦⠤⣧⣿⠶
⠀⢀⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠛⠿⣿⣿⣷⣤⣄⡹⣿⣷
⠀⢸⣿⢸⣿⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠙⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⠀⠿⠃⠈⠿⠆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠹⠿⠿⠿

⠀⢀⢀⡀⠀⢀⣤⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡀⡀
⠀⣿⡟⡇⠀⠭⡋⠅⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⣟⢿
⠀⣹⡌⠀⠀⣨⣾⣷⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀⢈⠔⠌
⠰⣷⣿⡀⢐⢿⣿⣿⢻⠀⠀⠀⢠⣿⡿⡤⣴⠄⢀⣀⡀
⠘⣿⣿⠂⠈⢸⣿⣿⣸⠀⠀⠀⢘⣿⣿⣀⡠⣠⣺⣿⣷
⠀⣿⣿⡆⠀⢸⣿⣿⣾⡇⠀⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣗⣻⡻⠿⠁
⠀⣿⣿⡇⠀⢸⣿⣿⡇⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁

Just now, Ross Siggers said:

Xbox 360 launch titles = 18

Playstation 3 launch titles = 21

Playstation 4 launch titles = 23

Xbox One launch titles = 23

Released games that currently have Ray Tracing options = 6
Including announced but unreleased games = 17

We're 8 months post RTX release. And one of those released games is fucking QUAKE 2.

~~~

I mean sure, there's more at stake in terms of pure volume, and more potential revenue in a console release I won't argue that. But christ, Nvidia were out there selling RTX2080ti's at $1200, which is double the famously expensive PS3 launch price of $599. Nvidia are hardly counting pennies here.

Their GPU's are still part of a huge industry, and the preparations they made for release were woefully inadequate.

wow are you that clueless?

Just now, pas008 said:

wow are you that clueless?

Well enlighten me then, be more constructive :D 

You won't change my mind that the RTX launch wasn't good

⠀⠀⠀⣴⣴⡤
⠀⣠⠀⢿⠇⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⢷⡗
⠀⢶⢽⠿⣗⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣼⡧⠂⠀⠀⣼⣷⡆
⠀⠀⣾⢶⠐⣱⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣤⣜⣻⣧⣲⣦⠤⣧⣿⠶
⠀⢀⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠛⠿⣿⣿⣷⣤⣄⡹⣿⣷
⠀⢸⣿⢸⣿⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠙⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⠀⠿⠃⠈⠿⠆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠹⠿⠿⠿

⠀⢀⢀⡀⠀⢀⣤⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡀⡀
⠀⣿⡟⡇⠀⠭⡋⠅⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⣟⢿
⠀⣹⡌⠀⠀⣨⣾⣷⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀⢈⠔⠌
⠰⣷⣿⡀⢐⢿⣿⣿⢻⠀⠀⠀⢠⣿⡿⡤⣴⠄⢀⣀⡀
⠘⣿⣿⠂⠈⢸⣿⣿⣸⠀⠀⠀⢘⣿⣿⣀⡠⣠⣺⣿⣷
⠀⣿⣿⡆⠀⢸⣿⣿⣾⡇⠀⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣗⣻⡻⠿⠁
⠀⣿⣿⡇⠀⢸⣿⣿⡇⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁

The RT Cyberpunk 2077 will be awesome, by then AMD may release their new RT GPU 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

12 minutes ago, Ross Siggers said:

Well enlighten me then, be more constructive :D 

You won't change my mind that the RTX launch wasn't good

its early adopter stage

you need the hardware before you can get the software/games

real time rt has been wanted for couple decades

its a graphical feature that will be mainstream not a platform for sales

13 minutes ago, Ross Siggers said:

What? Are you expecting Nvidia to throw tens of millions of dollars at developers? Don't be absurd.

Also, if anything, the high cost of RTX cards only further reduces the incentive to support RT right now as there's fewer cards selling.