20 Million PC Gamers to Switch to Consoles by 2022, as per Jon Peddie Research

Jon Peddie Research Firm's latest report isn't very encouraging if you are a PC gamer. According to the analyst, more and more PC gamers will probably shift to consoles because of increasing GPU prices and the inclusion of PC-specific features like 4K and ray tracing in the next-generation of these platforms. The coming of streaming services like the Google Stadia and the new Xbox One S console is going to further push gamers away from PC gaming. 

Read more here:

https://www.techquila.co.in/20-million-pc-gamers-switch-to-consoles/

If PS5 delivers even half of the things that Sony promised for a reasonable price, I can see this as a possibility. And I am sure MS will follow. 

6 minutes ago, FANGXP said:

and ray tracing in the next-generation of these platforms.

This is the tricky part. Ray tracing has been around for 20 years or so, maybe even more. Sony never said they will support real time ray tracing, which is the latest shit, only ray tracing. So be vary of that. 

But not to read the whole article (also subscription), I am pretty sure they haven't mentioned how many new gamers PC as a platform will get. Correct me if I'm wrong. If the platform losses 20M and gets let's say 50M, ok then.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

8AF91DF7-C417-4782-A8B2-4BE0E17F0B69.png.dce1a6e68310b4e070329bdc419e6e62.png

Also, no, I'm not switching to console anytime soon.

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

PC Gaming>actual real life boardgames>Nintendo>...........................everything else

I WILL get a switch for my son when he is old enough, he will know the glory of both Nintendo and PC gaming. We will love our boardgames too and have no room for anything else.

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

What? I don’t think that will happen. Well maybe if the PS5 maybe is what it’s rumored to be but still feels very unlikely. 

Corsair iCUE 4000X RGB

ASUS ROG STRIX B550-E GAMING

Ryzen 5900X

Corsair Hydro H150i Pro 360mm AIO

Ballistix 32GB (4x8GB) 3600MHz CL16 RGB

Samsung 980 PRO 1TB

Samsung 970 EVO 1TB

Gigabyte RTX 3060 Ti GAMING OC

Corsair RM850X

Predator XB273UGS QHD IPS 165 Hz

iPhone 13 Pro 128GB Graphite

12 minutes ago, FANGXP said:

because of increasing GPU prices

Someone tell the RX 570 that GPU prices are going up

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Analyze away, but in my mind, at least, some great migration to console just doesn't seem likely. PCs will inherently be able to do more and people use them because they like that. Nobody's going to say, "Oh, consoles can deliver a decent gaming experience now! Guess I'll kiss all the other things I love about PC goodbye!". And GPU prices are going up? Give me a break.

"uhhhhhhhhhh yeah id go with the 2600 its a good value for the money"

lul, PC is pretty much the only (viable) platform if you are a competitive player. PC Gaming isn't dying any time soon.

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

If the PS5 or Xbone whatever clean my house when I'm away then I'll switch, until then it's PC all the way :P

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

If my budget allows for it, I'm going to enjoy all the gaming platforms.  PC will always be my preferred platform though.

Do a poll OP and lets see if users think they will be switching.

Me?  Why?  Why not get a PC that can...do all of the things?  I traded my Xbox One (was given as a Christmas gift) for a winch.  Just sayin.

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

The only console that I use is my Switch and it's only because I'm too lazy to get an emulator.

'IM THE VIDEO GAME BOY, IM THE ONE WHO WINS' - Arin Hanson

When majority of gamer's only buy mid-range GPU's and steam has a plethora of sub $10 games,  I can't see the change being that great.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

PC gaming has survived strong console launches before, it will survive the PS5 launch. I'm not convinced the PS5 will be able to deliver 4K, HDR and 60FPS, unless Sony is prepared to make a sizeable loss on each unit sold.

There is also things unique to the PC gaming world like building your own custom rig, very high refresh rate monitors and multi-monitor setups.

Approximately 189216000 are born each year. Given that Consoles are (most likely) given to the younglings, This is actually plausible

EDIT: oh wait... its switch... Well that ain't happening anytime soon

✨FNIGE✨

Riiiiiiighhht... I would say maybe if Sony and Microsft did 180 degree turn with backwards compatibility, allowed consoles to be more than just glorified BR-players, would actually deliver what promised (4K HDR gaming with rebaked ray-tracing 60fps, HAHHAHAHAAAA! Sorry all three people who believe that shit, but that is big BS considering that PS4 Pro even can't handle FullHD gaming all the time at 60fps) and would pull their heads from their arses and allow open development (meaning that you don't need to go through Sony or Microsoft to get your game to PS or Xbox. And spare me from that piracy BS, main thing here is that when the platforms are that closed the development is insanly expensive which is why many developers go for the exclusivity deals on consoles and why you don't see the same mass of indie games on consoles, also the closed platform means your game must meet the expectations of the platform owner meaning some games that are highly targeted to some small audiences won't be released just because Sony/Microsoft don't see good enough profits from them, not to even mention all the guidelines and morals which quite fast turn into censorship).

22 minutes ago, SlimyPython said:

younglings

79f.jpg

my kid if I ever have one will have a PC.

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

Ah yes, I see myself abandoning my library of 400+ games, just to play on a console...

Anyone who "switch" to console was never a PC exclusive gamer in the first place. 

I'd sooner see myself get a console as a "companion" for my PC for certain highly demanding games that I wouldn't be able to run a decent fps otherwise, instead of outright switching to console. You can do so much more with a PC after all.

Honestly, even if this newest gen of consoles claim things like 4k gaming and what not, I wouldn't be surprised if only a few games took advantage of that and many games will still run at 1080p or maybe 1440p, just to push graphic fidelity higher.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

I wouldn't blame them.  1k for okay monitor & graphics card, or 2k for good monitor and good graphics card vs 5/400 and highly optimized titles.  Hardly much of a choice there.  Only thing is mods vs no mods really.