What tech are you knowledgeable about?

dDave64

I know we all have this info in our profiles but I want to have a discussion about it. A lot of people don’t ever go look at anyone’s profile.

So. What tech topics are you knowledgeable about?

My list...

AVL Systems (professional PA, live mixers (analog and digital), production screens, stage lighting)

Computer hardware (and areas like cooling, cable management, hardware quality control, etc.)

Windows and MacOS

Digital AV connections

Analog AV connections

AV signal conversion and adapting

Video game hardware (all platforms 3rd gen - current) - and games

Retro console modification (mostly Nintendo, some Sega and PS1/2)

HD/UHD TVs

CRT TVs & PVM monitors 

DACs and ADCs

Home surround sound 

Thats all that comes to mind for me but I’m sure I’ll think of others later. I’ve been into tech my whole life. I do it all day pretty much every day. It’s fun to get paid to play with expensive toys, no?

Define knowledgeable?  I know a little bit about most things, somethings I know nothing about or very little about and I am professional (accomplished with education or experience) at others.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Your question is a little vague. I have Master in Internet of Things. Anything 'Digital' related is right up my alley.

As my personal hobby, I've been studying custom PC building for over 8 years, so I know a thing or two about custom PC building.

Main system: Ryzen 7 7800X3D / Asus ROG Strix B650E / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 32GB 6000Mhz / Powercolor RX 7900 XTX Red Devil/ EVGA 750W GQ / NZXT H5 Flow

I'd concider myself decent at computer hardware in general along with overclocking I guess? Idk it's really hard to put down what you are good, like I know you shouldn't get a VS PSU for your €2000 computer, but I can't tell you WHY it's explosive garbage

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

1 minute ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

I'd concider myself decent at computer hardware in general along with overclocking I guess? Idk it's really hard to put down what you are good, like I know you shouldn't get a VS PSU for your €2000 computer, but I can't tell you WHY it's explosive garbage

Its called planned obsolescence. They add extra Chinesium to the cheap ones to make you pay again for a better one. Its also called Goldilocks sales. the cheap PSUs are the bowl that is too cold.

Graphics tablets and pen displays are probably the things i know most about

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

3 minutes ago, handymanshandle said:

...old audio and video formats.

Some might say I am the VHS enthusiast here. Some might also say I'm a dumbass, but people say a lotta things.

everyone just knows you as vegi tales man

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

anime

oh wait you said tech...

Spoiler

hentai

/s

umm i'm working on becoming more knowledgeable in everything, with an eventual focus on networking and security. Right now I am comptia A+ certified and I have worked for a bit with various things like vpns and troubleshooting windows os and office. I wouldn't say I'm knowledgeable quite yet though. I need more exposure and experience

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

1 hour ago, handymanshandle said:

Settle down Dan 

I’m knowledgeable about MacOS and iOS.

12 hours ago, mr moose said:

Define knowledgeable?  I know a little bit about most things, somethings I know nothing about or very little about and I am professional (accomplished with education or experience) at others.

Knowledgeable as in you’re reasonably confident working on the stuff with little to

no help from other people or the Internet.

11 hours ago, PopsicleHustler said:

Your question is a little vague. I have Master in Internet of Things. Anything 'Digital' related is right up my alley.

As my personal hobby, I've been studying custom PC building for over 8 years, so I know a thing or two about custom PC building.

Very nice. I started when I was just a kid (literally less than a teenager) so I’ve been around for a while in that arena as well. (About 15 years now)

I fell in love with tech at an early age and it’s just been my biggest hobby ever since. 

I like to game but I find that I tinker more with the hardware than actually playing games.

Im the guy that knows something about literally anything, but because im not specialized in any form, i also kinda don't know anything more than a few meters deep.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

2 hours ago, dDave64 said:

Knowledgeable as in you’re reasonably confident working on the stuff with little to

no help from other people or the Internet.

I have 4 professions, two educationally trained and 2 on the job.  I also work like a professional in 3 other fields but have no formal qualifications nor enough time to call myself a professional.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

If we define technology by it's dictionary definition

machinery and equipment developed from the application of scientific knowledge.

Then I get:

• Hydraulics
  • Drivetrains
  • Sailboats
  • Some programming
  • Space craft
  • Clocks
  • Sewing machines

Those are things that I have higher than average knowledge in, but not necessarily a professional or expert level of knowledge.

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

I'm a doctor in tech.

I'm the princess of tech.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

1) Linux

2) smartphones SKU. 

3) Intel, nvidia, and AMD product SKU.

Let's see... What else... 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

Slot compatibility (I.E. Adult Legos) and troubleshooting why a slot that should work, isn't etc

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

Computer hardware

(Building PCs, figuring out processors, GPUs, other stuff)

Smartphones

(tablets, phablets, foldlets, huge energizer smartphones with massive batteries that can kill you just if you drop it on your foot)

Software

(OSs, drivers, some stuff about coding)

Linus

Beanbags, LMG, dank Linus memes)

COVERED!

Won’t visit often..

18 hours ago, dDave64 said:

I know we all have this info in our profiles but I want to have a discussion about it. A lot of people don’t ever go look at anyone’s profile.

So. What tech topics are you knowledgeable about?

My list...

AVL Systems (professional PA, live mixers (analog and digital), production screens, stage lighting)

Computer hardware (and areas like cooling, cable management, hardware quality control, etc.)

Windows and MacOS

Digital AV connections

Analog AV connections

AV signal conversion and adapting

Video game hardware (all platforms 3rd gen - current) - and games

Retro console modification (mostly Nintendo, some Sega and PS1/2)

HD/UHD TVs

CRT TVs & PVM monitors 

DACs and ADCs

Home surround sound 

Thats all that comes to mind for me but I’m sure I’ll think of others later. I’ve been into tech my whole life. I do it all day pretty much every day. It’s fun to get paid to play with expensive toys, no?

Im just into audio, especially tube amplifiers and pretty high end gear.

LTT's Resident Porsche fanboy and nutjob Audiophile.

Main speaker setup is now;

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)

On 4/16/2019 at 1:05 AM, mr moose said:

Same.

"Liam" - CPU: Ryzen 3700x Base GPU: EVGA Titan X(Maxwell) RAM: Trident Royal Z 32GB @ 3600mhz Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic White Cooler: Corsair H150i Pro RGB 360mm Case Fans: Thermaltake Riing 12 Series Whitex6

I'm knowledgeable with CPUs and motherboards, and I'm somewhat knowledgeable on PSUs (somewhat knowledgeable = I know enough to give recommendations and explanations on why certain PSUs are good/garbage, but I don't really know much more than that). 

PC's I'm somewhat knowledgeable in - but I think I have become rather decent at Googling stuff which makes filling in the gaps in knowledge easier.

I know a decent bit about digital art programs and digital art peripherals (e.g. drawing tablets, screens, etc.).

Otherwise I do think I know quite a lot about the different gaming controllers out there - specifically how to take apart and clean alot of them.

Same with taking about gaming devices - mostly Nintendo handhelds - I have become adapt with that at this point too. Modding is something I want to know more about though.

I'm decent at knowing some emulation stuff - although to some people my knowledge is only 'surface level' info.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

I've found the older I get, the more I realize I don't know shit. Dad was right ?

ASU