Intel buying out AMD rumors

Fasauceome
11 hours ago, Thaldor said:

Quite many coutries have legistation for huge company merges and I would like to believe even US has one. Intel buying out AMD would trigger those laws in quite a many places and EU is the one that would rise the biggest voice probably. If the US was to give green light for Intel to buyout AMD I would think EU would pose quite many anti-trust cases and penalties that Intel would be even forced to leave EU markets (which put shortly is impossible, just like Google, EA, Microsoft and any other global company can't just leave EU markets because there's quite a lot of money and the biggests risk, if they were to leave either existing or newly emerging competitor would gain very strong foothold) or break into pieces. So technically EU cannot stop Intel from buying AMD, but "here's XX billion dollar fine, break up or we give another fine".

I know,

23 hours ago, mr moose said:

Whilst I believe this will not happen, I believe it will not happen due to laws in the US, as both companies are US companies.  The EU has no authority over such a merger, the best they can do is fine for anti consumer/antitrust cases in the EU if they emerge after the acquisition.    Being a company that exclusively provides a service/product is not illegal, even in the EU, but using that position unfairly to prevent other companies from entering the market space is.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

11 hours ago, Thaldor said:

Quite many coutries have legistation for huge company merges and I would like to believe even US has one

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sherman_Antitrust_Act_of_1890

Its called the Sherman act and the Clayton Antitrust Act here in the US. Though the DOJ has challenge the company in court if they need to invoke it. But those acts are in place to help prevent monopolies from forming. Microsoft was hit with an Antitrust suit, back in the day. But you gotta find a some one in the FTC you have some balls to stand up to these corporations.

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

23 hours ago, fasauceome said:

You don't have to be a kid in a schoolyard to shoot the shit. I already said, I don't know if this is likely, possible, or realistic, had to ask. 

Its just funny.

No hard facts

No nothing.

Tech news article, the one you chose is a good one!

Maybe Linus will pick it up for Friday, I know a lot try to do that. Some even probably have multiple accounts.

9 hours ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

Indeed it still needs work, but Microsoft is still investing rather heavily in R&D for ARM. What, do you think that an OS with roots as old as Window's and it's complexity can be easily transferred to a new platform? 

Simple solution: don't use that platform that no one uses for Windows anyway. 

21 hours ago, RorzNZ said:

Simple solution: don't use that platform that no one uses for Windows anyway. 

Windows needs to innovate to survive, with ARM chips progressing at a quicker rate than their X86 counterparts, and here is the real kicker the ARM instruction set is far more modern, and by extension faster, thereby ARM chips have the potential to be faster with similarly sized dies as X86, much like Apple's transition to the more modern X86 instruction set from the antiquated Power PC architecture provided them with a huge boost, a similar thing is set to happen with ARM and X86. And here is the thing Microsoft is not even leading the charge, it's Apple, who is set to unveil ARM processors in their Macbooks and IMacs in the near future.  

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

19 minutes ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

ARM chips progressing at a quicker rate than their X86 counterparts

Because ARM chips are catching up.

19 minutes ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

ARM instruction set is far more modern, and by extension faster

Uh chief, x86 chips run those instructions too.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

8 hours ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

ARM chips progressing at a quicker rate than their X86 counterparts

It's easy to make a Honda Civic much faster but it's a lot harder to make an F1 car a lot faster....

8 hours ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

to the more modern X86 instruction set from the antiquated Power PC architecture provided them with a huge boost

Modern Power PC is much faster than Intel in a number of ways, the shift really was't performance based it was compatibility driven.

I don't know what you have been looking at but AVX2 and AVX-512 is so much faster than anything on ARM and there actually isn't a way for ARM to do it faster, not in the exact same ways you can on x86. ARM SVE is really cool but it's not as broadly fast and efficient as Intel AVX and high performance ARM chips are getting in to the same TDP as Intel Xeons so I'm failing to see how ARM is going to live up to the lower power higher efficiency  marketing line when it's using exactly the same amount of power to get the same amount of performance.

As tempting as it might be to grab this information and sprint with it, there’s reason to be cautious. While this is obviously a huge effort for ARM and a major component of any push into the HPC space, it’s not yet clear that SVE will be the beachhead of a major new offensive against Intel. Five years ago, analysts confidently predicted that ARM’s lower costs and higher efficiency would result in the company rapidly taking market share away from Intel. Rory Read, AMD’s CEO, once confidently predicted that the server market would be at least 15% ARM by 2018. According to IDC, Intel currently holds 99.2% of the server market.

https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/234216-arm-guns-for-high-performance-computing-with-its-new-vector-instruction-set

It's 2019 and it didn't happen, not even slightly.

I think intel to buy Radion is much more likely and much less of a competition problem 

On 1/15/2019 at 6:42 PM, fasauceome said:

Again, I have to know, is it even legal?

Does that matter to people who decide whether or not such a thing is allowed?

More than likely not.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

On 1/15/2019 at 5:57 PM, Tristerin said:

there are TONS of monopolies in your life, power company, water company, Wal Mart, just to name a quick few.

The first two are public utilities (they fall under special rules), and Wal Mart is most certainly NOT a monopoly.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

On 1/15/2019 at 6:57 PM, Tristerin said:

re TONS of monopolies in your life, power company, water company, Wal Mart, just to name a quick few.

Power companies are heavily regulated by the government. The government even controls if the utility can significantly raise rates. On top of that in some cases you might have 3rd party companies you can use instead of the standard utility. Water is another thing regulated by the government to an extent. 

In no way shape or form is Walmart a monopoly. Meijer, Kroger, Costco, Sam's Club, Aldis, Target, Amazon, Whole Foods are all places that compete with Walmart. If anyone is a monopoly is Amazon but they do technically have competitors. A better example would be companies like AT&T, Comcast, Cox, WOW, etc. Now these companies barely have any competition and in some areas are a monopoly. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

On 1/15/2019 at 6:57 PM, Tristerin said:

there are TONS of monopolies in your life, power company, water company, Wal Mart, just to name a quick few.  Its what they do that makes it illegal, after they are the monopoly.

*snip*

Really depends on the community where you live... I actually buy my electricity from a different company than the one that owns the lines going to my house. The only thing I pay the local power company is the line and rider fee (which have to be paid regardless). Power generation goes to the other company which offers a lower rate than my local power company does. I doubt I'm the only one that has that option if your local power company is a privately owned company.

Water company is a government entity in my area so the monopoly laws probably doesn't apply...because government...

As for Walmart... well Walmart can't get anywhere near where I live due to the firm foothold of Costco, Trader Joe's, and Meijer in the area. The nearest Walmart is well over a 20 minute drive away VS a 5 minute drive to Meijer or 15 minute drive to Costco.

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

Not likely to happen due to anti monopoly laws.

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15