Intel buying out AMD rumors

Fasauceome

https://hothardware.com/news/crazy-plausible-intel-rumored-consider-amd-acquistion

Crazy Or Plausible? Intel Rumored To Consider AMD Acquisition

nooooooooooooooooooooooo thank you.

EETimes says it heard from numerous C-level executives that Intel is considering buying out AMD. 

Excuse me?

We're not sure that is really feasible, even if Intel wanted to, because of regulatory hurdles. 

It's called a monopoly. Again, no thanks.

For one thing, AMD has emerged as a force in the CPU sector. It's competed for decades, of course, but before Ryzen, you have to go back to the Athlon 64 days to see AMD truly asserting itself into the enthusiast discussion. AMD is in a much better place now, and is very much in the limelight with its Ryzen, Threadripper, and EPYC processors, and its rapid march to 7 nanometers.

As someone who's not as well oriented in the business world, I have to ask; Is Intel legally allowed to do anything remotely close to this? They poached Raja Koduri but that's another story. 

Maher also noted that acquisition rumors bubble up from time to time, not just in regards to Intel buying AMD, but also involving NVIDIA as the purchaser.

This whole thing feels like some kind of prank, or maybe a fever dream?

Either way, the PC space is worse off with Intel as the sole chip designer, as we've seen thus far.

My main concern about tech related "leaks" and rumors lately is that they have had a startling accuracy over the last few months. AMD was rumored to make up to a 16 core AM4 CPU and the newly revealed chip with only one chiplet on it looks to make that rumor far more accurate. 

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

No.

/Thread

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

1 minute ago, fasauceome said:

https://hothardware.com/news/crazy-plausible-intel-rumored-consider-amd-acquistion

nooooooooooooooooooooooo thank you.

Excuse me?

As someone who's not as well oriented in the business world, I have to ask; Is Intel legally allowed to do anything remotely close to this? They poached Raja Koduri but that's another story. 

This whole thing feels like some kind of prank, or maybe a fever dream?

Either way, the PC space is worse off with Intel as the sole chip designer, as we've seen thus far.

My main concern about tech related "leaks" and rumors lately is that they have had a startling accuracy over the last few months. AMD was rumored to make up to a 16 core AM4 CPU and the newly revealed chip with only one chiplet on it looks to make that rumor far more accurate. 

This probably won't happen guys

Hopefully won't

Damn....

Just now, BlockedTheShot said:

Hopefully won't

Again, I have to know, is it even legal?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Just now, fasauceome said:

Again, i have to know, is it even legal?

Very likely that it isn't.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

The only way something like this would fly is if someone like Qualcomm or another ARM CPU manufacturer posed a large enough presence in the market.  And as far as I know -- they aren't even close in the PC or Server market.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

5 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

That is beginning not to be the case as ARM has started it's march into the PC market, and in the coming years (may) present real challenges to both Intel and AMD.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

Just now, Wh0_Am_1 said:

That is beginning not to be the case as ARM has started it's march into the PC market, and in the coming years (may) present real challenges to both Intel and AMD.

Even better. I only hope the semiconductor game doesn't remain a two player gig, a third competitor as opposed to a new second competitor is what I look forward to.

Primary PC:

It should be stopped if Intel tried.

But I think there have been acquisitions before that should not have been accepted, so who knows.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

All the noes aside, there is a reason for this...

AMD is acting as a threat to intel at this moment, you know. Ryzen gen 3, EPYC processors

also AMD is acting as a threat to nvidia atm, Navi... thats it but whatever

Intel wants AMD gone since if AMD doesn't go. Intel will have do deal with a very strong wall

✨FNIGE✨

Just now, fasauceome said:

Even better. I only hope the semiconductor game doesn't remain a two player gig, a third competitor as opposed to a new second competitor is what I look forward to.

Once the ball gets rolling though, it would not be that hard for ARM to dominate, so much so that Intel and AMD may be pushed to the brink, and the only reasonable solution may be for Intel to purchase AMD so as to pool their resources and compete with ARM. As ARM presents a very serious threat to both companies, and both of those companies are already having issues, also ARM already has a monopoly on the mobile market so they have plenty of resources to contend with AMD and Intel.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

7 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

Yes.

A monopoly isn't defined as illegal until it has committed predatory or exclusionary tactics against that market.

The Sherman Antitrust in the US would make this interesting but I doubt illegal as this protects from price gouging to ensure no competition, etc.  Think of all of the new CPU companies wanting to enter the market soon - I know Ive read about a few.  

Do I think they will?  Ive seen some crazy ish in business.  Own a few, and work for Uncle Wardaddy himself (one of his many companies) and the things that get pulled off...to ensure revenue......boy the definition of ethics is STRETCHED.  Anyways not impossible at all, but I hope not myself.

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

2 minutes ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

Once the ball gets rolling though, it would not be that hard for ARM to dominate, so much so that Intel and AMD may be pushed to the brink, and the only reasonable solution may be for Intel to purchase AMD so as to pool their resources and compete with ARM. As ARM presents a very serious threat to both companies, and both of those companies are already having issues, also ARM already has a monopoly on the mobile market so they have plenty of resources to contend with AMD and Intel.

Though, I dont think ARM will be in any gaming rigs...

ARM may be the dominator for the Laptop market though

Edited by SlimyPython
forgot some words

✨FNIGE✨

11 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

Depends who's enforcing the laws. Like the old telephone monopoly got split up in the 1980s, then was allowed to rebuild in the 1990s.

You can definitely make the case that it's illegal. You just need the regulators to actually go and make that case.

2 hours ago, Tristerin said:

Yes.

A monopoly isn't defined as illegal until it has committed predatory or exclusionary tactics against that market.

The Sherman Antitrust in the US would make this interesting but I doubt illegal as this protects from price gouging to ensure no competition, etc.  Think of all of the new CPU companies wanting to enter the market soon - I know Ive read about a few.  

Do I think they will?  Ive seen some crazy ish in business.  Own a few, and work for Uncle Wardaddy himself (one of his many companies) and the things that get pulled off...to ensure revenue......boy the definition of ethics is STRETCHED.  Anyways not impossible at all, but I hope not myself.

Honestly I believe that this would be a smart move by Intel, as they would own the X64 variant of their X86 and own modular tech to make it so that their processors could better battle it out against ARM.

2 hours ago, SlimyPython said:

Though, I dont think ARM will be in any gaming rigs...

ARM may be the dominator for the Laptop market

Apple already plans on putting ARM processor into their desktops within the next few years, honestly I expect the rest of the industry to follow to a point by 2022.

@fasauceome there are TONS of monopolies in your life, power company, water company, Wal Mart, just to name a quick few.  Its what they do that makes it illegal, after they are the monopoly.

Just now, Wh0_Am_1 said:

Honestly I believe that this would be a smart move by Intel, as they would own the X64 variant of their X86 and own modular tech to make it so that their processors could better battle it out against ARM.

Absolutely - why?  Other than the ARM, its about $$$ - this is the first time AMD has been this profitable in a LONG time.  Get it now before it gets better...or way more expensive for shareholders to sell out that 51%.

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

Just now, Canada EH said:

Would be a monopoly!

Not for long.

1 minute ago, Tristerin said:

there are TONS of monopolies in your life, power company, water company, Wal Mart,

I'm not exactly a huge fan of Commonwealth Edison or Walmart, so more of that doesn't actually install confidence

Primary PC:

1 minute ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

Apple already plans on putting ARM processor into their desktops within the next few years, honestly I expect the rest of the industry to follow to a point by 2022.

Though not desktops or gaming laptops... right?... right?... Im kinda worried here, Right?

✨FNIGE✨

Just now, Wh0_Am_1 said:

Not for long.

It would take years, likely as you said...2022...to complete a buyout that large.  By then...different landscape completely.  The extrapolation of technology over...10 years...shows us that in 5...damn where will we be.

Also, every penny of profit AMD makes is a penny directly out of Intels pocket.  Buy now!  But I hope not.

1 minute ago, Tristerin said:

Absolutely - why?  Other than the ARM, its about $$$ - this is the first time AMD has been this profitable in a LONG time.  Get it now before it gets better...or way more expensive for shareholders to sell out that 51%.

That too.