MacBook Air 2018 – A PC Guy's Perspective

AlexTheGreatish

Been searching for a laptop kinda on the cheap (even "cheaper" than this), but then also wanted a "thin and light" that would last me a bunch of time or maybe a not so thin and lite with a gpu... most probably just going to go with the air and even run windows in bootcamp as it looks more and more appealing

It's a terrible deal even in the Apple line up. The Macbook Pro without touchbar is a better machine at the exact same price. Yes it weighs more (by all of 0.25lbs. Have fun even noticing that) while being practically as thin. Then if you are willing to spend more money the Macbook Pro with touch bar now gets even better graphics, a true quad, an even better display, all in the same package. It's just a stupid product.

Main Gaming PC - i9 10850k @ 5GHz - EVGA XC Ultra 2080ti with Heatkiller 4 - Asrock Z490 Taichi - Corsair H115i - 32GB GSkill Ripjaws V 3600 CL16 OC'd to 3733 - HX850i - Samsung NVME 256GB SSD - Samsung 3.2TB PCIe 8x Enterprise NVMe - Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM HD - Lian Li Air

Proxmox Server - i7 8700k @ 4.5Ghz - 32GB EVGA 3000 CL15 OC'd to 3200 - Asus Strix Z370-E Gaming - Oracle F80 800GB Enterprise SSD, LSI SAS running 3 4TB and 2 6TB (Both Raid Z0), Samsung 840Pro 120GB - Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Super Server - i9 7980Xe @ 4.5GHz - 64GB 3200MHz Cl16 - Asrock X299 Professional - Nvidia Telsa K20 -Sandisk 512GB Enterprise SATA SSD, 128GB Seagate SATA SSD, 1.5TB WD Green (Over 9 years of power on time) - Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2

Laptop - 2019 Macbook Pro 16" - i7 - 16GB - 512GB - 5500M 8GB - Thermal Pads and Graphite Tape modded

Smart Phones - iPhone X - 64GB, AT&T, iOS 13.3 iPhone 6 : 16gb, AT&T, iOS 12 iPhone 4 : 16gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 7.1.1 Jailbroken. iPhone 3G : 8gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 4.2.1 Jailbroken.

3 minutes ago, mrme4ka said:

Been searching for a laptop kinda on the cheap (even "cheaper" than this), but then also wanted a "thin and light" that would last me a bunch of time or maybe a not so thin and lite with a gpu... most probably just going to go with the air and even run windows in bootcamp as it looks more and more appealing

Congrats. You just killed the battery life improvement. Apple gives 0 shits about battery life in windows. It's really bad.

Main Gaming PC - i9 10850k @ 5GHz - EVGA XC Ultra 2080ti with Heatkiller 4 - Asrock Z490 Taichi - Corsair H115i - 32GB GSkill Ripjaws V 3600 CL16 OC'd to 3733 - HX850i - Samsung NVME 256GB SSD - Samsung 3.2TB PCIe 8x Enterprise NVMe - Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM HD - Lian Li Air

Proxmox Server - i7 8700k @ 4.5Ghz - 32GB EVGA 3000 CL15 OC'd to 3200 - Asus Strix Z370-E Gaming - Oracle F80 800GB Enterprise SSD, LSI SAS running 3 4TB and 2 6TB (Both Raid Z0), Samsung 840Pro 120GB - Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Super Server - i9 7980Xe @ 4.5GHz - 64GB 3200MHz Cl16 - Asrock X299 Professional - Nvidia Telsa K20 -Sandisk 512GB Enterprise SATA SSD, 128GB Seagate SATA SSD, 1.5TB WD Green (Over 9 years of power on time) - Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2

Laptop - 2019 Macbook Pro 16" - i7 - 16GB - 512GB - 5500M 8GB - Thermal Pads and Graphite Tape modded

Smart Phones - iPhone X - 64GB, AT&T, iOS 13.3 iPhone 6 : 16gb, AT&T, iOS 12 iPhone 4 : 16gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 7.1.1 Jailbroken. iPhone 3G : 8gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 4.2.1 Jailbroken.

1 minute ago, Hunter259 said:

It's a terrible deal even in the Apple line up. The Macbook Pro without touchbar is a better machine at the exact same price. Yes it weighs more (by all of 0.25lbs. Have fun even noticing that) while being practically as thin. Then if you are willing to spend more money the Macbook Pro with touch bar now gets even better graphics, a true quad, an even better display, all in the same package. It's just a stupid product.

is the 7th gen i5 that much better than this one due to core speed? I know that they are both dual core and the Pro is 100$ (which where i live is even a bigger increase) and also both of them are kinda over my budget.

1 minute ago, mrme4ka said:

is the 7th gen i5 that much better than this one due to core speed? I know that they are both dual core and the Pro is 100$ (which where i live is even a bigger increase) and also both of them are kinda over my budget.

Yes. Put it simply. Yes. 1.6 vs 2.3 is one hell of a gap. Other than that they are identical. If you don't want MacOS don't buy a mac. HP Spectre X360 is nice. I really like mine. Dell's XPS is also pretty solid.

Use spaces Linus you Mac noob

More of this Janice Tolkamp is not only expected but demanded!!!!!!

hey LTT,  i have concerns, you didn't bring up cooling, the fan is more of a show than actually help with cooling, snazzy lab did a really good video on this topic. if you can handle the weight go for a 2017 13 inch pro. FYI fan is supposed to touch the CPU die. 12 inch macbook beats this air at certain CPU tests, which is kinda sad. 

XAVKrLNmWnE5CvRe.thumb.jpg.4bfe4463b4b4e16fde6a3add6f2c5232.jpg

temps, you didn't touch on this 

1538622794_Annotation2018-12-12141243.jpg.d719fc4d2912840ba639612cb3fdfa8f.jpg

please do better/ more research in the future, thanks 

i fix it teardown-https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/MacBook+Air+13-Inch+Retina+2018+Teardown/115201

Snazzy lab review, IMO better review Ltt review was rushed and forced- https://youtu.be/xRDgVS5KZ_E?t=826

Sums up the video very nicely:

image.png.a187f41ef43467e4641fd8477c4d1c91.png

45 minutes ago, noise_pollution said:

Who's the new girl? 

Max 2.0 obviously because frizzy hair looks 10x worst on screens then in real life ?

image.png.df2e2046e20fc1c0b1315d99e0fe149b.png

15 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

Still waiting for them to take a look at the Huawei Matebook Pro................

Image result for huawei matebook x pro

like honestly. there must be a very good reason they havent Memed about this being a macbook. 

shiny Chinese spyware 

what aspect ratio is this ? 

PC: Alienware 15 R3  Cpu: 7700hq  GPu : 1070 OC   Display: 1080p IPS Gsync panel 60hz  Storage: 970 evo 250 gb / 970 evo plus 500gb

Audio: Sennheiser HD 6xx  DAC: Schiit Modi 3E Amp: Schiit Magni Heresy

1 hour ago, GoldenLag said:

Still waiting for them to take a look at the Huawei Matebook Pro................

Image result for huawei matebook x pro

like honestly. there must be a very good reason they havent Memed about this being a macbook. 

I love my matebook X pro. Its the no compromise laptop.

1 hour ago, Xilefian said:

os-x-split-screen.gif

Man that is unintuitive. 

MacOS gestures are powerful but their gestures make no god damn sense. 

12 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

I love my matebook X pro. Its the no compromise laptop.

heh, lets not mention the webcam......... hehe

i dont have one, but its one of those laptops you would think LTT to take a look at, before they make another video about the LG gram. like there has been a number of them...... not that i mind it too much, i mean the Gram is a pretty sweet laptop aswell.

it does beg the question why they havent taken a piece of this Apple Pie (see what i did there?)

1 hour ago, Xilefian said:

-snip-

Hu.... seems like mac DOES have snap functionality. This is news to me (as an apple fanboy). I seriously did not know this. 

For those of you who think this is an app or something, it's not. It's called "Split View". Basically just click and hold on the green "full screen" button in the upper left of the window. After a second or so, you'll get the option to drag it to one side or the other. Then let go of the mouse, and click the window you want beside it. It's quite literally identical to windows snap..... I seriously didn't know this.

However, there are a huge number of programs I know that add more functional windows management to mac. I know of at least a half dozen free ones. 

7 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

Man that is unintuitive. 

So unintuitive that I (a mac user for 25 years) did not know it existed.However now that I know... I mean the functionality is almost identical to windows snap, you just have to drag a different area of the window to get it to snap. I'm guessing this is probably something to do with patents or something. 

12 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

Man that is unintuitive. 

i myself discovered windows snap by accident once while trying to get the windows to fit, it was frickin amazing when it snapped into place

As for proper windows management, honestly I think mac has a lot more (and better) options than windows. Sure, windows has snap, but mac os has it's version of snap, easily accessible "spaces", "expose", a BETTER menu bar, better gestures (4 finger swipe up anyone?) etc. One of the thing that seriously annoys me with windows 10 is that if I have multiple excel windows open and click on the "excel" icon in the menu bar, it'll ask me WHICH excel sheet I want to display. Now, this is seriously annoying if you have multiple sheets open but are only working with one at a time.

Mac, on the other hand, just brings EVERY excel window to the front when you click on excel in the menu-bar. No need to select which you want, it just automatically brings the last one you looked at to the front. Mac also lets you assign apps to specific "spaces" and they will stay there. That's how I usually organize my mac screen. Mail is full screened in one space, then my calendar, reference manager, and messages share another space. I switch between spaces either with a 3 or 4 finger swipe or a command-left or command-right when I need one. 

7 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

heh, lets not mention the webcam......... hehe

i dont have one, but its one of those laptops you would think LTT to take a look at, before the make another video about the LG gram. like there has been a number of them...... not that i mind it too much, i mean the Gram is a pretty sweet laptop aswell.

it does beg the question why they havent taken a piece of this Apple Pie (see what i did there?)

I dont know why he only mentioned the matebook x pro briefly in a guide video.

For the same price as the gram or Mac Air

-Bezelless

-3000x2000

-QUAD CORE

-16GB 

-256GB NVME

-USB A

-2 USB C with TB#

-dGPU

-Fingerprint power button

-Large trackpad

-Great keyboard

-Fucking amazing laptop speakers

-$1500

Oh did I forget to mention all in a 13" chassis?

Its an amazing laptop and if you disable the GPU you get 10hours of battery easy. Sure webcam placement sucks but honestly who uses it outside of business meetings.