MacBook Air 2018 – A PC Guy's Perspective

AlexTheGreatish
18 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

True, but its not like Huawei isnt gaining mindshare with their followup of products. the P20 Pro has caught the interest of many, same with the Matebook X Pro

But then suffered the spying scandal. It’s all about reputation and theirs is in cinders.

Time to finally get an ssd for my 2012 macbook lol. Remember the days when you could get a kick-ass laptop for about 800$ (with student discount)? 

I'm really torn between the entry mbp and the new air but I't so overpriced ?

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

7 minutes ago, Nicnac said:

Remember the days when you could get a kick-ass laptop for about 800$ (with student discount)? 

you still can. they just arent called Macbook, Gram, XPS or Surface

you can get a HP Envy x360 either with an core i5 and mx150 or cheaper with an r5 2500u 

edit: there is also something called inflation

4 minutes ago, Nicnac said:

Time to finally get an ssd for my 2012 macbook lol. Remember the days when you could get a kick-ass laptop for about 800$ (with student discount)? 

I'm really torn between the entry mbp and the new air but I't so overpriced ?

I remember the days when Apple would give students discounts on Macs and they come either with a $100 iTunes gift card or an 8GB iPod Touch. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

4 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

But then suffered the spying scandal. It’s all about reputation and theirs is in cinders.

its surprising how little of that scandal hit my country. People are really considering the Huawei and other chinese brands here and a majority of users her use Iphones.

what has hit is in relation to the rather conservative goverment we have now and the telecom industry who is going to buy 5G deployment gear and other gear fro Huawei if its what they are looking for (and it is what they are looking at). 

even after that it got dismissed by the telecom industry and the goverment and has been out of the news for ages. idk about you but it really seems they arre getting a brand name for good products (if you look away from their software solutions)

4 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

you still can. they just arent called Macbook, Gram, XPS or Surface

you can get a HP Envy x360 either with an core i5 and mx150 or cheaper with an r5 2500u 

I've looked at those ryzen machines before and they are pretty much the best you can get in that price range. I thought about getting one just for lan games. But while they are reasonably thin and have an ok build quality they just lack the sex appeal of a macbook :/ 

1 minute ago, captain_to_fire said:

I remember the days when Apple would give students discounts on Macs and they come either with a $100 iTunes gift card or an 8GB iPod Touch. 

oh yea! I forgot the 100$ gift card! that would have been only 700$ for me then :D 

seriously I doubt any of their current machines are gonna last as long as my 2012 model does.

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

Just now, Nicnac said:

I thought about getting one just for lan games. But while they are reasonably thin and have an ok build quality they just lack the sex appeal of a macbook :/ 

very true. also the APUs are plagues by bad drivers since they are release by Asus and such and not through radeon . apperently being worked on a solution for next gen products. probably involving having radeon software installed.

i like the look of the Envy X360, but the appeal of the large display of an Matebook X Pro is a bit too tempting. some machines just dont have the clean look i am looking for.

4 minutes ago, Nicnac said:

oh yea! I forgot the 100$ gift card! that would have been only 700$ for me then :D 

seriously I doubt any of their current machines are gonna last as long as my 2012 model does.

It’s hard to be a Mac fan nowadays :(

4 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

very true. also the APUs are plagues by bad drivers since they are release by Asus and such and not through radeon . apperently being worked on a solution for next gen products. probably involving having radeon software installed.

i like the look of the Envy X360, but the appeal of the large display of an Matebook X Pro is a bit too tempting. some machines just dont have the clean look i am looking for.

Didn't they merge apu and gpu drivers recently? I think I read something somewhere..... 

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

Just now, Nicnac said:

Didn't they merge apu and gpu drivers recently? I think I read something somewhere..... 

did they?

i havent been 100% up to date on that. i think my info is about 3 weeks old at this point

Just now, GoldenLag said:

did they?

i havent been 100% up to date on that. i think my info is about 3 weeks old at this point

same, I didn't even know their apu drivers were problematic in the first place tbh ^^

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

Just now, Nicnac said:

same, I didn't even know their apu drivers were problematic in the first place tbh ^^

some issues with graphical issues in certain games due to very, very, very old drivers. believe Fortnite was hit a bit and the drivers were from around June or earlier iirc

2 minutes ago, Nicnac said:

Well that's a drama ?

yep, just look at youtube Rewind

19 minutes ago, captain_to_fire said:

It’s hard to be a Mac fan nowadays :(

Yeah. Apple’s attention seems to be on iOS devices and wearables these days. 

3 minutes ago, Nicnac said:

oh my don't get me started ? 

*Fetches ignition keys

54 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

its surprising how little of that scandal hit my country. People are really considering the Huawei and other chinese brands here and a majority of users her use Iphones.

what has hit is in relation to the rather conservative goverment we have now and the telecom industry who is going to buy 5G deployment gear and other gear fro Huawei if its what they are looking for (and it is what they are looking at). 

even after that it got dismissed by the telecom industry and the goverment and has been out of the news for ages. idk about you but it really seems they arre getting a brand name for good products (if you look away from their software solutions)

If they have knock off designs who knows what other areas they are cheating out on. Even Xaomi has nice unique designs for a more affordable price. Only Xaomi and Pocophone have made me look twice. 

1 hour ago, RorzNZ said:

If they have knock off designs who knows what other areas they are cheating out on. 

If you are reffering to the Matebook i can say: yes that is a veeery similar laptop to the Macbook, but they have certainly improved upon the design. 

New girl special appearance on WAN show this week? 

Hardware: i5 4590 + GTX 1060 6GB | Pixel 2 (Non XL) | Shield K1 | PS4 | PSVita | 3DSXL 

I guess it’s as fair a review as you will get out of a PC guy. Not a knock against Linus, but his inexperience with macOS still shows. From not showing more about the integration between iOS and macOS (continuity, airdrop, iCloud, native apps), to missing the point of mission control (Apple wants you to have a cluttered workspace), to not maximising the use of full screen apps or hiding the dock / moving it to the side. But it’s a lot better than when he was running boot camp on a MacBook and complaining about the poor battery life.

Any eta on the iPad Pro review? ? 

25 minutes ago, abazigal said:

Apple wants you to have a cluttered workspace

Isn't the point of mission control is to combine spaces aka virtual desktops and expose in a single gesture? You've got your spaces at the top and expose to view all open applications? It's actually good that Microsoft added it to Windows 10 under the name Task View.

6 hours ago, captain_to_fire said:

It's actually good that Microsoft added it to Windows 10 under the name Task View.

comboing Task view with Timeline was very nice of microsoft doing aswell.

6 hours ago, abazigal said:

not a knock against Linus, but his inexperience with macOS still shows.

im pretty certain it was Taran  Alex who worked on this review for some time. While Linus works at LTT, he doesnt nearly have enough time on his hands to do everything.