more bad news for AMD, they'll cut 5% workforce

zMeul

source: http://www.streetinsider.com/Corporate+News/Advanced+Micro+Devices+(AMD)+Announces+Restructuring+Plan%3B+Will+Cut+~5%25+of+Workforce/10938283.html

On September 26, 2015, Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. (the “Company”) adopted a restructuring plan (the “Plan”). The Plan is focused on the Company's ongoing efforts to simplify its business and align resources around its priorities of building great products and deepening customer relationships.

The Plan provides for a workforce reduction of approximately 5% of the Company's global workforce. The Plan includes organizational actions such as outsourcing certain IT services and application development. The Plan also anticipates a charge for the consolidation of certain real estate facilities. The Company currently expects to record restructuring and asset impairment charges in the aggregate of approximately $42 million resulting from the Plan. The Company expects to record a majority of the restructuring charge in the amount of approximately $41 million in the third quarter of fiscal year 2015, of which approximately $31 million is related to severance and benefit costs, approximately $1 million to facilities related consolidation charges and approximately $9 million of intangible asset related charges associated with the impairment of certain software licenses that have ongoing payment obligations. The Company expects the Plan will likely result in total cash payments of approximately $26 million and $15 million in the fiscal years 2015 and 2016, respectively.

The savings from the Plan are anticipated to be approximately $2 million and $7 million in the third and fourth quarters of fiscal year 2015, respectively. The Company anticipates savings of approximately $58 million in fiscal year 2016. The actions associated with the Plan are expected to be substantially completed by the end of fiscal year 2016.

---

AMD is "on the ropes"; cutting workforce, from IT .. that's not a very good sign - baffles me a bit the part that they outsource services and app development

the only "app" I can think of is Raptr Gaming Evolved, but that's not their own; and it's being developed by Raptr themselves

Here we go...

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

source: http://www.streetinsider.com/Corporate+News/Advanced+Micro+Devices+(AMD)+Announces+Restructuring+Plan%3B+Will+Cut+~5%25+of+Workforce/10938283.html

---

AMD is "on the ropes"; cutting workforce, from IT .. that's not a very good sign - baffles me a bit the part that they outsource services and app development

the only "app" I can think of is Raptr Gaming Evolved, but that's not their own; and it's being developed by Raptr themselves

I want to cry because AMD is struggling so bad.

My i5 6500 is bad and can't even maintain 4.5ghz, and 4.4ghz causes it to slowly become unstable over weeks with a vcore of 1.395. FML

as long as it doesn't slow them too much, while lowering the loses then its fine by me

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

That's just heartbreaking. I hope that AMD will recover from this sh*tty period...or it will be the end of good prices for hardware... NVIDIA and Intel are already pushing prices to the sky...

lol riperoni it's the slippery slope for AMD rn. Right now it's 5%, then 10%, then 20%, then salary cuts, then 25%, 50%, 60%, 75%, bankruptcy. Hopefully Zen brings them back though since I still like the various flame wars on the internet.

My rig: Intel Core i7-8700K OC 4.8 | NZXT Kraken X62 | ASUS Z370-F | 16 GB Trident Z RGB 3000 (2x8) | EVGA 1070 SC | EVGA SuperNova NEX650G1 | NZXT H700 | Samsung 250GB 850-EVO | 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs 

that's it? So somewhere around 500 jobs

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

Zmeul...

I don't see anything wrong with cutting work force It's a restructure. They need to be efficient anyways and what better is that then cutting the work force. This isn't even negative news, This is just a restructuring plan for departments that aren't even in AMD's current focus.

This is a respectable Business decision that you made it some kind of bad news when it really isn't.  

NO WHERE IN THE ARTICLE EVEN SAY THAT THIS IS BAD NEWS. sure it's 5% workforce cut that AMD has decided to cut to focus on other parts of the company and that group is no longer needed.

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

on the point of reading, you should read on why AMD is doing this; if they would've needed those 5%, they would not be hired in the 1st place

AMD desperately needs money to stay alive, at least until Zen arrives

The savings from the Plan are anticipated to be approximately $2 million and $7 million in the third and fourth quarters of fiscal year 2015, respectively

you should also consider this comes not later than the stalling of negotiation with Silver Lake 20% acquisition of AMD

---

they're cutting workforce from software development, department that does what?! you guessed it ... drivers

you might've noticed that WHQL drivers are even more far between - 242 days between 14.12 and the latest 15.7

on the point of reading, you should read on why AMD is doing this; if they would've needed those 5%, they would not be hired in the 1st place

you should also consider this comes not later than the stalling of negotiation with Silver Lake 20% acquisition of AMD

Nice cherry picking.

The Company anticipates savings of approximately $58 million in fiscal year 2016.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

Day is not complete without a zMeul post about AMD. 

Corsair 760T White | Asus X99 Deluxe | Intel i7-5930k @ 4.4ghz | Corsair H110 | G.Skill Ripjawz 2400mhz | Gigabyte GTX 970 Windforce G1 Gaming (1584mhz/8000mhz) | Corsair AX 760w | Samsung 850 pro | WD Black 1TB | IceModz Sleeved Cables | IceModz RGB LED pack

What I hear from industry sources is AMD is betting everything with Zen, although it doesn't look like consumer products will hit until Q4 2016 at best, at that point Intel will be readying Kaby Lake. Like with maxwell it looks like nvidia will ship pascal way ahead of AMDs greenland GPU products and this will not help them in the dGPU market.

R.I.P.

AMD

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

It's a restructure these people could have been hired under the old CEO, with Lisa Su, she can choose to restructure parts of the companies for other parts. AMD doesn't "desperately" need money to stay alive, They can still to handle their debt and have the confidence to work with that in mind, these are the benefits of corporations. 

There is a difference between needing to cut workforce or being smart with how you're spending money (which from this restructuring plan brought to the table), This is just reorganizing where money is being spent and why, if the company is going in a different direction there is no point in paying people to be irrelevant to the company down the road.

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

I guess Intel cutting 300 million $ in jobs means they're practically bankrupt!

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

AMD doesn't "desperately" need money to stay alive, They can still to handle their debt and have the confidence to work with that in mind, these are the benefits of corporations.

no? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/453758-has-amd-hit-rock-bottom/ - notice where 0 (zero) is and where preditions are  

they don't, eh ...  :lol:

wonder if Jim Keller's departure has anything to do with AMD being unable / not willing to pay his salary

---

meanwhile, nVidia and MicroSoft sight a agreement for Azure service - http://www.thestreet.com/story/13307606/1/nvidia-nvda-stock-hits-52-week-high-on-microsoft-azure-collaboration.html

Every company lays off part of their workforce every now and then to in order to restructure, which isn't necessary a bad thing. Even Intel just did layoffs with some of their employees recently.

wonder if Jim Keller's departure has anything to do with AMD being unable / not willing to pay his salary

As for Jim Keller, it has been heavily implied that he likes to move around a lot when he is finished with the project that he is given, so Jim Keller leaving does not mean it was because of AMD unable to pay his salary.

CPU amd phenom ii x4 965 @ 3.4Ghz | Motherboard msi 970a-g46 | RAM 2x 4GB Team Elite | GPU XFX Radeon HD 7870 DD | Case NZXT Gamma Classic | HDD 750 GB Hitachi | PSU ocz modxstream pro 600w

no? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/453758-has-amd-hit-rock-bottom/ - notice where 0 (zero) is and where preditions are  

they don't, eh ...  :lol:

When a business is incorporated, its separate legal status, property, rights and liabilities continue to exist until the corporation is dissolved, even if one or more shareholders or directors sell their shares, die or leave the corporation.

This includes Debt, They are Liable for all their debt, They don't need to be making positive amounts of money, they could be losing money (which goes into debt) but they have to keep paying their employee's even if that means more debt. The situation isn't bad enough to dissolve the company. If they didn't have a plan to pay off the debt or the company could no longer operate (no people, no assets and such) then the situation would be dire and they would dissolve.

Computing enthusiast. 

I would not call this bad news, just justified administrative house cleaning.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

they're cutting workforce from software development, department that does what?! you guessed it ... drivers

you might've noticed that WHQL drivers are even more far between - 242 days between 14.12 and the latest 15.7

Hate to be blunt, but they most likely deserved to be axed. AMD's #1 pitfall in the GPU realm is its driver optimizations, and if history has taught us anything, its that AMD seldom ever releases driver updates. I would make the same decision if i was paying people and nothing ever really got done. 

I don't know if AMD lit a fire under their software team recently, but i do admit that after complaining about CCC, i just recently used it on my laptop after downloading windows 10 on it. Not only did the install go without a hitch, it boasted nice options to tinker with, and did not feel as bloated as it did back in the day. Let's just hope they kept the most competent people, and cut the slackers out to make room for better software engineers. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

"Hey guys, we're bleeding money, and we have all these people on staff, we should maybe axe some of the redundancy."

"No, just let everyone keep their jobs, we have enough money from all those Fury Xs we're not selling because we have none to sell"

Hint:  I'm not saying AMD is in a great spot, but people losing jobs because of a restructuring (while it sucks) does not mean bad news for the company.  If it did, every game development company (especially MMOs) would be in deep shit.