more bad news for AMD, they'll cut 5% workforce

zMeul

source: http://www.streetinsider.com/Corporate+News/Advanced+Micro+Devices+(AMD)+Announces+Restructuring+Plan%3B+Will+Cut+~5%25+of+Workforce/10938283.html

---

AMD is "on the ropes"; cutting workforce, from IT .. that's not a very good sign - baffles me a bit the part that they outsource services and app development

the only "app" I can think of is Raptr Gaming Evolved, but that's not their own; and it's being developed by Raptr themselves

meanwhile intel cuts 20% of it's workforce and no one gives a shit. double standard much?

Another AMD post by the same user.

I mean why not just paint a picture of you knifing AMD in photoshop, it get's to the point faster.

REDLINECore i7 6700k 4.8ghz 1.37v.Noctua NH-u12s.MSI Z170A Gaming M7.16GB Kingston Hyper X Fury Black.MSI Gaming R9 390 8GB Crossfire + GTX 780 PhysX.Samsung EVO 850 500GB SSD.Fractal Design Define R5 Midi Black.SeaSonic X Series 1050w Gold.Logitech G302 Deadalus Prime.Ducky DK2108 Zero Mech Cherry Blue.

meanwhile intel cuts 20% of it's workforce and no one gives a shit. double standard much?

Intel doesn't swim with the fishes .. eh

estimize-amd-fq3-2015-91cccce0560ba5b5.p

vs

estimize-intc-fq3-2015-42227e148929de49.

CgDrIwt.png

Stopped caring about AMD when their FX series came out. The graphics cards come from the Ati side of things-so they are what I'm worried about. #fuckAMDFX

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

I.... um.... 

I thought that was the definition of out source?

no, that's not it

outsourcing is when you hire a 3rd party to do a job for you - quite the contrary with Raptr, Raptr Gaming Evolved is not AMD's app

Intel doesn't swim with the fishes .. eh

vs

What does stock prices have to do with liabilities, equity and daily operations of AMD? These are not influenced by stock prices per se. Shares losing value only has a negative impact on opportunity to loan money and to convert share assets to monetary assets.

No one claims lower stock prices are good, but your conclusions based on stock prices are incompetent at best.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

Didn't they just awarded a crap ton of money for people on the higher ups? This doesn't look good tbh, cutting on the workforce while reinforcing bad decisions by awarding the wrong people for shady decisions.

not really because they awarded it in company stocks which is a good decision because then the people have a vested interest in making sure the company does well

Why not see $1000 graphics cards? I'd very much argue the improvements have been enormous moving from Kepler to Maxwell, and the price is what that product is worth. Frankly AMD needs to stop playing the cheap game and act it's as good as Nvidia.

Yeah, 1000$ graphics card then they launch a 650$ graphics card that performs the same. Tell me about that.

Why not see $1000 graphics cards? I'd very much argue the improvements have been enormous moving from Kepler to Maxwell, and the price is what that product is worth. Frankly AMD needs to stop playing the cheap game and act it's as good as Nvidia.

Didn't they actually say something along the lines of wanting to stop being known as the budget option some time ago?

What you're saying is true anyway, a corporations own perception of themselves mirrors to consumers aswell.

FX 6300 @4.8 Ghz - Club 3d R9 280x RoyalQueen @1200 core / 1700 memory - Asus M5A99X Evo R 2.0 - 8 Gb Kingston Hyper X Blu - Seasonic M12II Evo Bronze 620w - 1 Tb WD Blue, 1 Tb Seagate Barracuda - Custom water cooling

Didn't they actually say something along the lines of wanting to stop being known as the budget option some time ago?

What you're saying is true anyway, a corporations own perception of themselves mirrors to consumers aswell.

Their top tier consumer card is about as expensive as NVidia's so they are already there. The fact that a 390x beats the crap out of a 980 in DX12, just shows what a rip off the 980/970 series are.

When ZEN arrives, I'm sure AMD will charge similar to Intel on competitive products.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

This is actually good news for AMD, becoming more lean and efficient, will most likely save them in the long run. Yeah its bad news for employees, but it's business, nothing in comparison to Qantas. 

You will find that we might even see even more value coming out of AMD than before, I personally prefer the other team, but still. 

source: http://www.streetinsider.com/Corporate+News/Advanced+Micro+Devices+(AMD)+Announces+Restructuring+Plan%3B+Will+Cut+~5%25+of+Workforce/10938283.html

---

AMD is "on the ropes"; cutting workforce, from IT .. that's not a very good sign - baffles me a bit the part that they outsource services and app development

the only "app" I can think of is Raptr Gaming Evolved, but that's not their own; and it's being developed by Raptr themselves

you should contact the Escapist they'll pay swag cash for your comments and make articles about it

fx-8350 @4,4Ghz/sapphire r9 fury/2x 8gb Kingstone ddr3 @2030Mhz

Yeah, 1000$ graphics card then they launch a 650$ graphics card that performs the same. Tell me about that.

And doesn't have the same capability and flexibility. As an OpenCL and CUDA programmer, that 12GB of VRAM makes some simulations much more feasible to test instead of having to rig complex memory swapping routines. Just because it's pricey for gamers doesn't mean it's overpriced. Nothing is overpriced unless no one buys it, sort of an economics 101 fact. Nvidia will segment its market and sell products at the cross point of marginal cost and marginal revenue as they always have. Just because we have more SKUs and a greater range of performance doesn't automatically mean the cost is unreasonable.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Their top tier consumer card is about as expensive as NVidia's so they are already there. The fact that a 390x beats the crap out of a 980 in DX12, just shows what a rip off the 980/970 series are.

When ZEN arrives, I'm sure AMD will charge similar to Intel on competitive products.

Since Nvidia's latest driver the 390X isn't winning any battles, got news for you. AOTS and Fable now both show Nvidia in the lead pretty much across the board.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Since Nvidia's latest driver the 390X isn't winning any battles, got news for you. AOTS and Fable now both show Nvidia in the lead pretty much across the board.

Got a source for that? AMD is out with a fable driver too.

I'm also legitimately curious, could you provide a source please? AFAIK, in DX12, the 390X still dominates the 980 in both AotS and Fable. I'd be really interested to see how the new drivers have affected this.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

I'm also legitimately curious, could you provide a source please? AFAIK, in DX12, the 390X still dominates the 980 in both AotS and Fable. I'd be really interested to see how the new drivers have affected this.

And for all we care, it doesn't mean anything, if the difference is still not notable. That means competition, that means aggressive pricing and a way for AMD to say, look ,we're still in the race.

In early previews from 24th Sep, the 980 gets beaten by a 390X by 3-5FPS, along with lower frame times for the 390X. Even if the tables have turned(as Patrick suggests) and nVidia wins, if the difference is the same, then there's nothing bad.

MARS_PROJECT V2 --- RYZEN RIG

Spoiler

CPU: R5 1600 @3.7GHz 1.27V | Cooler: Corsair H80i Stock Fans@900RPM | Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 | RAM: 8GB DDR4 2933MHz(Vengeance LPX) | GPU: MSI Radeon R9 380 Gaming 4G | Sound Card: Creative SB Z | HDD: 500GB WD Green + 1TB WD Blue | SSD: Samsung 860EVO 250GB  + AMD R3 120GB | PSU: Super Flower Leadex Gold 750W 80+Gold(fully modular) | Case: NZXT  H440 2015   | Display: Dell P2314H | Keyboard: Redragon Yama | Mouse: Logitech G Pro | Headphones: Sennheiser HD-569

And for all we care, it doesn't mean anything, if the difference is still not notable. That means competition, that means aggressive pricing and a way for AMD to say, look ,we're still in the race.

In early previews from 24th Sep, the 980 gets beaten by a 390X by 3-5FPS, along with lower frame times for the 390X. Even if the tables have turned(as Patrick suggests) and nVidia wins, if the difference is the same, then there's nothing bad.

The big problem (for NVIDIA anyway) is that the GTX 980 is losing to a card that is approximately $100 USD cheaper and is based on an architecture that was developed two years ago, in both DX12 benchmarks. We're now starting to see people already choosing the 390X over the 970 and 980 to futureproof themselves for DirectX12 - that says alot. I can only hope that this will allow for a more even competition between AMD and NVIDIA because let's face it, AMD is struggling compared to their GPU rival. If this trend continues, AMD will gain a significant portion of the GPU market, unless NVIDIA prices the 980 similarly to the 390X before Pascal hits, which I doubt.

However, what NVIDIA does have is the 980Ti. It's the king, no doubt about it. In the DX12 benchmarks for both Ashes and Fable, it beats out the Fury X. I don't think DX12 will allow the Fury X to top the 980Ti - so it'll likely stay like that until Pascal and Arctic Islands hits.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

I tried to watch some of AMD videos on youtube, those people who made them need to be fired......quickly.

Monopolies never last long in tech. If AMD goes under I would say 12 months max before China starts making cpu's that look allot like Zen cpu's.....oh wait...China would never infringe on US patent law!

This isn't bad news for AMD... if anything it's bad news for the workers being laid off.

It's a restructure these people could have been hired under the old CEO, with Lisa Su, she can choose to restructure parts of the companies for other parts. AMD doesn't "desperately" need money to stay alive, They can still to handle their debt and have the confidence to work with that in mind, these are the benefits of corporations. 

There is a difference between needing to cut workforce or being smart with how you're spending money (which from this restructuring plan brought to the table), This is just reorganizing where money is being spent and why, if the company is going in a different direction there is no point in paying people to be irrelevant to the company down the road.

this all the way

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

The big problem (for NVIDIA anyway) is that the GTX 980 is losing to a card that is approximately $100 USD cheaper and is based on an architecture that was developed two years ago, in both DX12 benchmarks. We're now starting to see people already choosing the 390X over the 970 and 980 to futureproof themselves for DirectX12 - that says alot. I can only hope that this will allow for a more even competition between AMD and NVIDIA because let's face it, AMD is struggling compared to their GPU rival. If this trend continues, AMD will gain a significant portion of the GPU market, unless NVIDIA prices the 980 similarly to the 390X before Pascal hits, which I doubt.

However, what NVIDIA does have is the 980Ti. It's the king, no doubt about it. In the DX12 benchmarks for both Ashes and Fable, it beats out the Fury X. I don't think DX12 will allow the Fury X to top the 980Ti - so it'll likely stay like that until Pascal and Arctic Islands hits.

And it's kind of a problem. 

Buying a 390/390X over a 970/980 based on two benchmarks is a bit of a rushed decision. 

You said 980 loses to a card that is 100$ cheaper, then it's good for AMD. They should promote this, look, our card is cheaper and has equal or better performance. Meanwhile, AMD's marketing department is still caught on "future, uncertain things". AMD's marketing team should be fired, they are like half responsible for AMD's situation.

They brag about HBM, about Zen and 40% better IPC, while on midrange GPU front, 390 and 380 are "stomping" the 970 and 960. People that are not so tech savvy don't know this. nVidia's marketing team although lying a lot these days, still does a better job at promoting their products.

MARS_PROJECT V2 --- RYZEN RIG

Spoiler

CPU: R5 1600 @3.7GHz 1.27V | Cooler: Corsair H80i Stock Fans@900RPM | Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 | RAM: 8GB DDR4 2933MHz(Vengeance LPX) | GPU: MSI Radeon R9 380 Gaming 4G | Sound Card: Creative SB Z | HDD: 500GB WD Green + 1TB WD Blue | SSD: Samsung 860EVO 250GB  + AMD R3 120GB | PSU: Super Flower Leadex Gold 750W 80+Gold(fully modular) | Case: NZXT  H440 2015   | Display: Dell P2314H | Keyboard: Redragon Yama | Mouse: Logitech G Pro | Headphones: Sennheiser HD-569

Care to share a trustworthy/referenced source?

Care to share a trustworthy/referenced source?

Him being on my ignore list means I haven't had the pleasure of seeing the garbage he types in a while except when people respond to him. Please, let me know when he provides a source that shows how a driver gives Maxwell better compute than GCN, especially in AOTS.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

And it's kind of a problem.

Buying a 390/390X over a 970/980 based on two benchmarks is a bit of a rushed decision.

You said 980 loses to a card that is 100$ cheaper, then it's good for AMD. They should promote this, look, our card is cheaper and has equal or better performance. Meanwhile, AMD's marketing department is still caught on "future, uncertain things". AMD's marketing team should be fired, they are like half responsible for AMD's situation.

They brag about HBM, about Zen and 40% better IPC, while on midrange GPU front, 390 and 380 are "stomping" the 970 and 960. People that are not so tech savvy don't know this. nVidia's marketing team although lying a lot these days, still does a better job at promoting their products.

Jesus, I agree with you so much there. The maybe only logical explanation I have is that they don't want to be known as the 'midrange' GPU company, but rather be known for their flagship cards. But that's still stupid, since I assume the mid-range portion of the GPU market is where most people will probably invest in.

AMD needs to cut out the bullshit marketing as well - that promise of an 'Overclocker's Dream' with the Fury X was far, far from the truth. They need to be ballsy. Like this:

3a.jpg

They need to show why their products are better than NVIDIA in that mid-range market. Otherwise, they're practically not pressing their advantage at all.

As for buying the 390X being a rushed decision, you're also right. But with all these benchmarks of how GCN architecture, Async Compute and other stuff appears to push AMD's cards way beyond their previous DX11 performance, it's sort of understandable. But AMD needs to sell as many cards as they can, so I'm not complaining.

Spoiler