more bad news for AMD, they'll cut 5% workforce

zMeul

Lets all just hope that 5% includes the Guys&Gals that make the "The Fixer" videos.

System CPU : Ryzen 9 5950 doing whatever PBO lets it. Motherboard : Asus B550 Wifi II RAM 80GB 3600 CL 18 2x 32GB 2x 8GB GPUs Vega 56 & Tesla M40 Corsair 4000D Storage: many and varied small (512GB-1TB) SSD + 5TB WD Green PSU 1000W EVGA GOLD

You can trust me, I'm from the Internet.

Look at the fool source and read the ones from Anandtech. 980 wins.

I looked at the fools source and the anand source and they don't compare 980 to 390x at all, granted they do show a 290x but multiple benchmarks have showed me that 290x and 390x have a performance difference.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-radeon-r9-390x-review

CPU amd phenom ii x4 965 @ 3.4Ghz | Motherboard msi 970a-g46 | RAM 2x 4GB Team Elite | GPU XFX Radeon HD 7870 DD | Case NZXT Gamma Classic | HDD 750 GB Hitachi | PSU ocz modxstream pro 600w

I looked at the fools source and the anand source and they don't compare 980 to 390x at all, granted they do show a 290x but multiple benchmarks have showed me that 290x and 390x have a performance difference.

The 390X looks to be 12-13% faster on average in those benches. That is actually a pretty good boost in performance. And here i thought people were complaining that the 300 series and 200 series are the exact same. Either way, the facts remain. The 390X is a better price:performance alternative when compared to the GTX 980. I always thought the GTX 980 was overpriced from the get go, when considering what it was. The 980 when compared to the 970 is not even worth the large price gap that it had (Back when the 970 was $330, and the 980 was $550). 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

Part of it is their own fault. No competitive CPUs on the market, GPUs which are rebrands of older GPUs which already were rebrands of the ones before them, projects that have no real value other than show-off material, etc.

Once you go down that path it's almost impossible to dig yourself out of it since sales and thus money flow drops down which means you don't have the cash to develop new stuff. Their only saving grace right now is a money injection by either government or private business like Intel or a buy-out by someone like Apple, just to get the money flowing.

Ye ole' train

Part of it is their own fault. No competitive CPUs on the market, GPUs which are rebrands of older GPUs which already were rebrands of the ones before them, projects that have no real value other than show-off material, etc.

Once you go down that path it's almost impossible to dig yourself out of it since sales and thus money flow drops down which means you don't have the cash to develop new stuff. Their only saving grace right now is a money injection by either government or private business like Intel or a buy-out by someone like Apple, just to get the money flowing.

for cpus, i agree they need to be more competitive, but of course they have zen in the works now. So we'll see how that turns out. In terms of GPU, that is where AMD is doing the best in right now, despite being their market share is 27%. Their 300 series, even it supposed to be a rebrand, is doing great against most of NV's 900 series gpus. When it comes down to GPU if amd is able to price their gpu competitively, be able to rival or beat NV equivalent and their own last gen gpu in terms of performance and support their latest technology; then the fact that it is a rebrand does not matter much to me.

For me my next build, I'm planning to replace both my gpu and cpu. So if zen is better than the intel chip I'm planning to get then I will buy amd, if not then my next cpu will be a intel one. if the amd's 400 series is better than the NV's 1000 series gpu then I will buy amd, if not NV it is.

CPU amd phenom ii x4 965 @ 3.4Ghz | Motherboard msi 970a-g46 | RAM 2x 4GB Team Elite | GPU XFX Radeon HD 7870 DD | Case NZXT Gamma Classic | HDD 750 GB Hitachi | PSU ocz modxstream pro 600w

That performance difference evaporates if you flash the 390X bios to 290X, which is easy to do.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

No, it's mostly their marketing team/strategy's fault.

As I said previously, they focus on things that are not here(zen, HBM2, blah blah.)

Show me a colored slide that emphasizes the 300 series beating their price conunterparts, or offering better value. Mhm...there's none of that.

On the CPU front, yeah they're bad, compared to intel's current offers, but on GPUs, they're alive and kicking.

Hawaii is showing its teeth in DX12 and compute performance, Tonga Pro is ok and pretty efficient(by AMD standards), Tonga XT(in the works) looks good on paper, even the little old Pitcairn is an ok choice for casual AAA at 1080p.

That performance difference evaporates if you flash the 390X bios to 290X, which is easy to do.

Proof, proof, PROOF, my friend. Show us a forum post, or a modder who benched a flashed 290x -> 390X.

MARS_PROJECT V2 --- RYZEN RIG

Spoiler

CPU: R5 1600 @3.7GHz 1.27V | Cooler: Corsair H80i Stock Fans@900RPM | Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 | RAM: 8GB DDR4 2933MHz(Vengeance LPX) | GPU: MSI Radeon R9 380 Gaming 4G | Sound Card: Creative SB Z | HDD: 500GB WD Green + 1TB WD Blue | SSD: Samsung 860EVO 250GB  + AMD R3 120GB | PSU: Super Flower Leadex Gold 750W 80+Gold(fully modular) | Case: NZXT  H440 2015   | Display: Dell P2314H | Keyboard: Redragon Yama | Mouse: Logitech G Pro | Headphones: Sennheiser HD-569

Im confused ...

390X beating 980 but in the same time a 290x is catching up to a 980ti ??? 

But the Fury X is behind the 980ti ???? 

Im happy with my 390 , whatever boost i get , is a plus . 

The Subwoofer 

Ryzen 7 1700  /// Noctua NH-L9X65 /// Noctua NF-P14s Redux 1200PWM

ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Gaming-ITX/ac /// 16GB DDR4 G.Skill TridentZ 3066Mhz

Zotac GTX1080 Mini 

EVGA Supernova G3 650W 

Samsung 960EVO 250GB + WD Blue 2TB

Im confused ...

390X beating 980 but in the same time a 290x is catching up to a 980ti ??? 

But the Fury X is behind the 980ti ???? 

Im happy with my 390 , whatever boost i get , is a plus . 

That is why you cannot compare benchmarks across several sources.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

So are you saying that if someone flashes a 290x, it will have 390x performance. That mean that a 290x can even to beat a 980.

I did provide a source. Look at the anandtech benchmarks in the fool.com link, and then please go skulking back into obscurity where you belong.

This is hilarious. You claim that the 980 should beat the 390X with the latest drivers. In what way does the AnandTech benchmark show this?

anandtech-fable_large.png

Firstly, the 980 is not present on the graph. Neither is the 390X. Secondly, the original AnandTech article clearly states:

AMD sent us a note that there is a new driver available specifically for this benchmark which should improve the scores on the Fury X, although it arrived too late for this pre-release look at Fable Legends

They're not even using the latest drivers. That was your original claim, that these latest drivers supposedly push the 980 ahead of the 390X. And here you are, using a source that fails to fulfil two vital aspects of your argument. The cards in question aren't even present in the benchmarks and neither are the 'latest' drivers.

This is from YOUR source.

So please, actually learn to read before insulting someone. Your mathematical bullshit isn't helping you here. Also notice why everyone else is questioning what you're saying? You're in the wrong.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

No, it's mostly their marketing team/strategy's fault.

As I said previously, they focus on things that are not here(zen, HBM2, blah blah.)

Show me a colored slide that emphasizes the 300 series beating their price conunterparts, or offering better value. Mhm...there's none of that.

On the CPU front, yeah they're bad, compared to intel's current offers, but on GPUs, they're alive and kicking.

Hawaii is showing its teeth in DX12 and compute performance, Tonga Pro is ok and pretty efficient(by AMD standards), Tonga XT(in the works) looks good on paper, even the little old Pitcairn is an ok choice for casual AAA at 1080p.

Proof, proof, PROOF, my friend. Show us a forum post, or a modder who benched a flashed 290x -> 390X.

We have members here who've done it, and I believe that includes Notional.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

So are you saying that if someone flashes a 290x, it will have 390x performance. That mean that a 290x can even to beat a 980.

Which should come as no surprise since it's a 2816SP part against a 2048, having an obvious compute potential advantage. That said, looking at the 970 performance and knowing the gap between it and the 980, Nvidia comes out ahead.

Which should come as no surprise since it's a 2816SP part against a 2048, having an obvious compute potential advantage. That said, looking at the 970 performance and knowing the gap between it and the 980, Nvidia comes out ahead.

I'm gonna keep poking at you - where are these benchmarks that show the 390X getting beaten by 980?

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

as usual with AMD this is a hot topic. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Neh, ya don't need to flash the bios anymore.

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

well we can't be sure until we have an actual comparison. We cannot make an assumption about the 390x from the 290x on your source chart either since it is not a bios flashed card.

So until said chart comes out updating the info, I'm going have to say the 390x is the better card compared to the 980.

as usual with AMD this is a hot topic. 

Yeah and it usualy gravitates over the blind amd-hate ignorance of @zMeul and the delusional bullshit and lies of @patrickjp93 .

Now finally it's not just one or two members calling out this users, it's a big part of the active community that's just fed up with them and wont stand it anymore. Both of them ruin topics for no reason other then hate and ego masturbation - both clearly have issues, but we don't need to get with this shit.

Well then, @Notional, if it's not too much of a problem, can you share with us? I believe you have a topic if such a thing works. I searched but haven't found it yet.

One topic mentions that it's risky and will most likely not work without a physical mod, since a 390X has better memory chips, running at higher freq and they also have tighter timings. Voltage is also a concern, stock being +50mV for a 390X compared to a 290X, so VRM has more to suffer as we already know it hits about 100 degrees..

Again Patrick, the eternal question, SOLID PROOF?

And don't send me searching, if you know it exists, you know where it is and it's not superhuman effort to paste a link.

MARS_PROJECT V2 --- RYZEN RIG

Spoiler

CPU: R5 1600 @3.7GHz 1.27V | Cooler: Corsair H80i Stock Fans@900RPM | Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 | RAM: 8GB DDR4 2933MHz(Vengeance LPX) | GPU: MSI Radeon R9 380 Gaming 4G | Sound Card: Creative SB Z | HDD: 500GB WD Green + 1TB WD Blue | SSD: Samsung 860EVO 250GB  + AMD R3 120GB | PSU: Super Flower Leadex Gold 750W 80+Gold(fully modular) | Case: NZXT  H440 2015   | Display: Dell P2314H | Keyboard: Redragon Yama | Mouse: Logitech G Pro | Headphones: Sennheiser HD-569

If I recall @MEC-777 flashed a 290 with the respective 390 driver shortly after their release and posted their findings in the then Booerns-AMD-thread-of-the-day news thread. And found that the performance delta appeared to be driver related, though it was certainly short term testing.  Don't know if anyone has revisited that entire topic with anything other than extrapolated speculation since(I don't hang around the GPU section), and haven't seen 290x <-> 390x done.  Nor do I recall the testing suite(games) used, but am fairly sure nothing dx12/mantle-vulcan was done; which is becoming evermore relevant.

If I recall @MEC-777 flashed a 290 with the respective 390 driver shortly after their release and posted their findings in the then Booerns-AMD-thread-of-the-day news thread. And found that the performance delta appeared to be driver related, though it was certainly short term testing.  Don't know if anyone has revisited that entire topic with anything other than extrapolated speculation since(I don't hang around the GPU section), and haven't seen 290x <-> 390x done.  Nor do I recall the testing suite(games) used, but am fairly sure nothing dx12/mantle-vulcan was done; which is becoming evermore relevant.

I know there's at least one on this forum who posted benches of a 290/x flashed as a 390/X and the delta evaporated. The only thing genuinely new about the 390X is a changed power delivery system and a lightly tweaked memory controller for the 6GHz GDDR5.