Experiences with non-techies

If anyone wants to teach someone chemistry, teach me. I have a $300 kit with equipment and chemicals, and I'm interested, just to lazy to learn.

Just a guy who peaked at building back in the days of the GTX 980. If you see me here, assume i have technical knowledge akin to a committed hobbyist builder back then. If something's changed, you'll need to tell me(nicely plz). I'm probably asking for help with the modern build scene since I have no clue what's going on.

he somehow has malware and viruses that aren't even possible to get on a mac.

You see, if he has done the impossible, THEN IT'S NOT IMPOSSIBLE ANYMORE

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

I used to work at a computer shop for IT support and service. Whenever something is wrong with the machine, they'll always ask if it's a virus or not. If the shortcut on the desktop is gone, they would think all of their data on the computer are gone. My mum isn't non-techy but she just double clicks on EVERYTHING she wants to open. That includes links and buttons on the web browser. She would double click on the Google searches to open them too and I got really annoyed watching her using the computer at some point of my life. I have another one but it's not really non-techies. My friend is a photographer but not much of a computer guy so he bought a netbook(yes, those 10-inches) and brought it to college. Apparently he actually used that netbook to edit photo and do his work. I remember him posting a comment which he thinks tiny computer are less powerful(true to some extent).

OMG, yes. My parents don't double click everything, but rather double and single click the wrong things!!

I'm here to learn and help others!

so this one time I was hanging out with my friend who is the manager at a tech shop by where I live and a girl comes in and buys a 2tb hard drive. we let her know that we install hard drives for $1 (the cost of the sata cable we use) and she says "just because I am a woman does not mean I cant work on computers" and leaves in a huff. two days later she comes back in saying that the HDD is not working so we take the computer in to look at it, we open it and the HDD is nowhere to be seen, so we ask her where it is. and it turns out that she scanned it and put the scanned image on her desktop to install the drive. and to top that off she threw away the drive she paid almost $200 for and she wanted us to give her a new one.

No way... lol

OMG, yes. My parents don't double click everything, but rather double and single click the wrong things!!

No way... lol

Yo, I know you're new here, but please don't try to quote anything over two weeks old :)

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

I recently was on spring break so this story takes place on a plane.

After takeoff I pull out my Nvidia Shield. An older lady sitting next to me asks what it is, no surprise there. I tell her it's an Android gaming device. She doesn't know what Android is, I tell her it's a smartphone operating system and she drops the topic.

Later when we land, I see her pull out an iPhone. She doesn't know what Android is but has an iPhone. That blew my mind a bit.

Good job Apple. That's some really powerful branding and marketing you have to have an audience that doesn't even know that Android even exists.

CPU: 5820k 4.5Ghz 1.28v, RAM: 16GB Crucial 2400mhz, Motherboard: Evga X99 Micro, Graphics Card: GTX 780, Water Cooling: EK Acetal CPU/GPU blocks,

240mm Magicool slim rad, 280mm Alphacool rad, D5 Vario pump, 1/4 ID 3/4 OD tubing, Noctua Redux 140/120mm fans. PSU: Evga 750w G2 SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB & Seagate SSHD 2TB Audio: Sennheiser HD558s, JBL! speakers, Fiio E10k DAC/Amp Monitor: Xstar DP2710LED @ 96hz (Korean Monitor) Case: Fractal Node 804

I recently was on spring break so this story takes place on a plane.

After takeoff I pull out my Nvidia Shield. An older lady sitting next to me asks what it is, no surprise there. I tell her it's an Android gaming device. She doesn't know what Android is, I tell her it's a smartphone operating system and she drops the topic.

Later when we land, I see her pull out an iPhone. She doesn't know what Android is but has an iPhone. That blew my mind a bit.

Good job Apple. That's some really powerful branding and marketing you have to have an audience that doesn't even know that Android even exists.

It's all in the advertising :P

I haven't seen many Android Phone/Tablet adds that actually mention the word android though lately... Maybe that's why...

Also Shield FTW 

Want a good game to play?  Check out Shadowrun: http://store.steampowered.com/app/300550/ (runs on literally any hardware)

another 12 core / 24 thread senpai...     (/. _ .)/     \(. _ .\)

It's all in the advertising :P

I haven't seen many Android Phone/Tablet adds that actually mention the word android though lately... Maybe that's why...

Also Shield FTW 

I wouldn't say that it's all in their advertizing. Take the media for instance, when Apple releases things it gets talked about "the big Apple event happened today", and iPhone launches are a much bigger deal than say HTC.

Apple advertizing that their latest product is "more betterer than the last" is a different phenomenon.

Also I've seen some Android ads on TV, but I haven't seen any with devices featured. Another nasty trend that I think is related to this is people recognize the brands instead of an OS. I hear things like "we have apps for Samsung and iPhone". Because Apple has high market share as a single company (even if Android's combined manufacturers are a larger share) it gets recognized.

CPU: 5820k 4.5Ghz 1.28v, RAM: 16GB Crucial 2400mhz, Motherboard: Evga X99 Micro, Graphics Card: GTX 780, Water Cooling: EK Acetal CPU/GPU blocks,

240mm Magicool slim rad, 280mm Alphacool rad, D5 Vario pump, 1/4 ID 3/4 OD tubing, Noctua Redux 140/120mm fans. PSU: Evga 750w G2 SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB & Seagate SSHD 2TB Audio: Sennheiser HD558s, JBL! speakers, Fiio E10k DAC/Amp Monitor: Xstar DP2710LED @ 96hz (Korean Monitor) Case: Fractal Node 804

Also Shield FTW 

I actually really want a Shield. Even though I don't see myself using it that often since I don't have a Nvidia GPU in my desktop from which I could stream stuff from.

Yeah Apple is rather good at marketing. It's amusing since Android (with the expetion of the undo feature) is significantly better than iOS. But then I switched from iOS back when it was iOS 6 or 7 so maybe it's better (or worse) now. Anyways Android with CyanogenMod is the best.

I wouldn't say that it's all in their advertizing. Take the media for instance, when Apple releases things it gets talked about "the big Apple event happened today", and iPhone launches are a much bigger deal than say HTC.

Apple advertizing that their latest product is "more betterer than the last" is a different phenomenon.

Also I've seen some Android ads on TV, but I haven't seen any with devices featured. Another nasty trend that I think is related to this is people recognize the brands instead of an OS. I hear things like "we have apps for Samsung and iPhone". Because Apple has high market share as a single company (even if Android's combined manufacturers are a larger share) it gets recognized.

tru dat

Want a good game to play?  Check out Shadowrun: http://store.steampowered.com/app/300550/ (runs on literally any hardware)

I actually really want a Shield. Even though I don't see myself using it that often since I don't have a Nvidia GPU in my desktop from which I could stream stuff from.

Yeah Apple is rather good at marketing. It's amusing since Android (with the expetion of the undo feature) is significantly better than iOS. But then I switched from iOS back when it was iOS 6 or 7 so maybe it's better (or worse) now. Anyways Android with CyanogenMod is the best.

I only got to play android games with a controller :P

Playing goat simulator with a controller is so much more fun than using touchscreen controls 

I don't use it super often either, but it's super nice for emulators on the go. I played through Mario 2 up through half way into the last level on my flight out/back home.

I am planning on switching to android from my shitty iPhone 5c (not my choice for a phone, just a hand me down) can someone tell me what CyanogenMod is?

I am planning on switching to android from my shitty iPhone 5c (not my choice for a phone, just a hand me down) can someone tell me what CyanogenMod is?

Custom rom which requires a bit of effort and could break your phone when installing. http://www.cyanogenmod.org/But don't worrry when I installed it on my S4 I remember messing up since it took me 2 days to get it installed and all and when my brother installed it on his LG G3 he broke it to the point that he had to essentially reinstall the original OS to fix it. But he got it fixed and will likely attempt again when he gets the chance. It's rather difficult to do permanent damage though software alone.

Basically stock Android with a skin. Easy to use and gets rid of a lot of gross stuff that carriers put on your phone. Supports most popular Android devices. I still prefer bone-stock Android.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Basically stock Android with a skin. Easy to use and gets rid of a lot of gross stuff that carriers put on your phone. Supports most popular Android devices. I still prefer bone-stock Android.

I don't know why everyone hates touchwiz so much, I have no complaints with it on my phone

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

I don't know why everyone hates touchwiz so much, I have no complaints with it on my phone

I am not sure if its the problem with touchwiz but my 1 Year Old Note 3 have issues with opening camera at times, gets stuck using too many applications and sometimes gets stuck when trying to restart the phone. I have to remove the battery and place it back in to start my phone. I did not have these issues when I first got my phone, on the other hand my older blackberry is still working fine though.

CPU Intel Core i7-5930K @ 3.5 GHz Motherboard Asus X99 Deluxe RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB @ 2800MHz GPU 2 x Gigabyte GTX 980 G1 Gaming (SLI)

Case Corsair Carbide Series Air 540 (Gray) Storage 2 x 1TB 850 Pro, 2 x 4TB WD Black PSU Corsair AX1500i (1500W) Display Asus PG348Q Ultrawide - G-Sync

Cooling Corsair Hydro Series H100i Keyboard Razer BlackWidow Chroma Mouse Razer Mamba Sound Logitech G633 Operating System Windows 10

I just rather CM. Touchwiz seems over the top and it's much more demanding than what CM is. Also CM is much more open and I trust it more than something like Touchwiz.

Yo, I know you're new here, but please don't try to quote anything over two weeks old :)

Ok, I'll try not to.

It uses a lot of RAM, and overall is just slow. Plus comes with Samsung's bloatware that can only be deleted if you root the phone and use root uninstaller apps (and some phones can't even be rooted. One example of such is my Samsung Galaxy XCover 2: it can't connect to any PC via USB, only via WiFi, and it requires the use of Samsung Kies, which is sh*t).

Despite this, the only Android skin which i have ever used is TouchWiz; all of my smartphones have been Sammies, 2 have been hand me downs, and my latest one (S2) was the only one that I have bough (second-handed, as usual).

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

If anyone wants to teach someone chemistry, teach me. I have a $300 kit with equipment and chemicals, and I'm interested, just to lazy to learn.

So you wan't to be the next Walter White?  ;)

|CPU: Intel i7-5960X @ 4.4ghz|MoBo: Asus Rampage V|RAM: 64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum|GPU:2-way SLI Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980's|SSD:512GB Samsung 850 pro|HDD: 2TB WD Black|PSU: Corsair AX1200i|COOLING: NZXT Kraken x61|SOUNDCARD: Creative SBX ZxR|  ^_^  Planned Bedroom Build: Red Phantom [quadro is stuck in customs, still trying to find a cheaper way to buy a highend xeon]

The English :P

It's a bit of a 'Linusism" as he often uses phrases such as "The more the betterer", so some people tend to use <ahem> iffy grammar when writing as a sort of homage (at least that's what they say they do, no-one ever makes mistakes).

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

And another one i remembered

True story

I have a friend, genius, IQ of 155, grades above 90, awesome at playing he piano, the textbook stereotypical asian kid.

He asked me 2 questions in succession.

1. Can your CD/usb get viruses if you don't cover it up?

2. Can you move files by rubbing usb sticks together?

He was dead serious

iq tests aren't 100% reliable ;) you should take quite a few of them to determine a sort of reliable score and bare in mind you can train (voluntarily or not) for the sort of questions they ask.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

To be fair it's a solid tablet offering at its price point. Particularly on the Android side of the market. It's good value even without all of Nvidia's extra stuff (streaming, local hardcore play, pen etc.).

Why the interest in CyanogenMod? It's not something worth faffing about with on your first phone and the only phone which comes with it preinstalled (in the West as far as I know) is the Oneplus One. Great phone by the way. Would recommend alongside Motorola and Nexus devices for first time Android phones.

Side note: what is this Gild option I see at the bottom of my posts?