Experiences with non-techies

Someone once had me build a pc for them. Right before I did it their parents backed out and bought them a dell. It had an i7 and 16gb of ram, they thought it could beat anything I could build. .

Oh shoot! Was that offensive! (I don't care).

Please try not to quote anything that's older than 2 weeks, let alone 2 years

And what's wrong with something like that? I'm pretty sure there's no rule about something like that.

|CPU: Intel i7-5960X @ 4.4ghz|MoBo: Asus Rampage V|RAM: 64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum|GPU:2-way SLI Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980's|SSD:512GB Samsung 850 pro|HDD: 2TB WD Black|PSU: Corsair AX1200i|COOLING: NZXT Kraken x61|SOUNDCARD: Creative SBX ZxR|  ^_^  Planned Bedroom Build: Red Phantom [quadro is stuck in customs, still trying to find a cheaper way to buy a highend xeon]

My mom won't let me try turning on the Dell with a screwdriver... It isn't going to kill you...

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

"You dont need a old fashioned desktop setup, any imac is more than enough"

school IT 2015

What if I don't like being locked down? What if I want a large option of upgrades? What if I want to do serious gaming, streaming, rendering, and 3D modelling? I'm sure the cheapest iMac that is like $1000 with a dualcore at like 1.4GHz can't do any of that decently.

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

What if I don't like being locked down? What if I want a large option of upgrades? What if I want to do serious gaming, streaming, rendering, and 3D modelling? I'm sure the cheapest iMac that is like $1000 with a dualcore at like 1.4GHz can't do any of that decently.

post-22077-rap-battle-parody-perfect-loo

#rekt

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

My mom won't let me try turning on the Dell with a screwdriver... It isn't going to kill you...

DO it anyway

My Rig  

PCPartPicker part list: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/kGNksY

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($379.00 @ shopRBC) 

CPU Cooler: RAIJINTEK THEMIS 65.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($34.99 @ NCIX) 

Motherboard: MSI CSM-H87M-G43 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($78.83 @ DirectCanada) 

Memory: Kingston HyperX 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($139.99 @ Memory Express) 

Storage: Kingston Fury 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($71.34 @ DirectCanada) 

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($92.95 @ Vuugo) 

Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card  ($298.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($125.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($66.99 @ NCIX) 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit)  ($116.00 @ shopRBC) 

Case Fan: Cougar Turbine 120 (4-Pack) 60.4 CFM 120mm  Fans  ($23.99 @ NCIX) 

Monitor: HP 22xi 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($187.11 @ Amazon Canada) 

Keyboard: Logitech G710 Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($114.99 @ NCIX) 

Mouse: Razer DeathAdder 2013 Wired Optical Mouse  ($76.99 @ Amazon Canada) 

Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Pro Headset  ($78.98 @ DirectCanada) 

Total: $2074.22

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when availableGenerated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-10 15:33 EDT-0400Build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/303263-the-dell-from-hell/#entry4121100 

Phone Compassion Spreadsheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EN6s426gyxqPloIqT4wQ7Y7yovkkQy_5B3djVN-N-R8/edit#gid=0

Gta V Pc Online Crew http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/344773-unofficial-linus-tech-tips-gta-v-crew-pc/

DO it anyway

i hate it when people say this. 

''i cant, mom says not too''

''do it anyway''

'allright, i'll just deal with none of my income for the next month and deal with thier bitching at me not obeying them ever. because all parrents forgive nicely. ''

not attacking you, just.... letting off some steam. T^T

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

Oh, thought of another.

One of the head professors of my physics department brought his laptop to connect to the projector screen during the meeting. When his computer didn't automatically connect to the internet, a concerned look showed on his face. Not recognizing that the university requires you to login for wifi access, he waited to see if it'd work without him doing anything. Finally, he said he couldn't get it to work and said that IT would have to look at his laptop again. The rest of the professors agreed, while I sat there in shock. So when he left to call the IT person, I walked over to his computer, reconnected to the guest wifi, and when he came back, just said, "oh look, it's working now!" He was convinced the computer fixed it by itself, and the other professors didn't know what I did, even though they watched me do it. Help, I don't want to live on this planet anymore, they're all full PhDs in physics, many of whom use high tech equipment 24-7....

in all fairness having a PhD in physics should not mean you are well versed in the use of computers.

''do it anyway''

'allright, i'll just deal with none of my income for the next month and deal with thier bitching at me not obeying them ever. because all parrents forgive nicely. ''

SO TRUE

Made a bit of a non-techie mistake myself. So, if you look in my sig, you will see that I am still working on my first build. But I really wanted to get my hands in some PC stuff. So I banned up my dad's ancient 1.5gig ram 80tb Pentium something Windows XP machine, and took it apart. I went to put it back together out of case and... Connected the wrong two pins. Zzpppt. Dead. In my defense, it didn't come with a mobo manual.

Just a guy who peaked at building back in the days of the GTX 980. If you see me here, assume i have technical knowledge akin to a committed hobbyist builder back then. If something's changed, you'll need to tell me(nicely plz). I'm probably asking for help with the modern build scene since I have no clue what's going on.

''do it anyway''

SO TRUE

Made a bit of a non-techie mistake myself. So, if you look in my sig, you will see that I am still working on my first build. But I really wanted to get my hands in some PC stuff. So I banned up my dad's ancient 1.5gig ram 80tb Pentium something Windows XP machine, and took it apart. I went to put it back together out of case and... Connected the wrong two pins. Zzpppt. Dead. In my defense, it didn't come with a mobo manual.

Just a guy who peaked at building back in the days of the GTX 980. If you see me here, assume i have technical knowledge akin to a committed hobbyist builder back then. If something's changed, you'll need to tell me(nicely plz). I'm probably asking for help with the modern build scene since I have no clue what's going on.

Slow internet... Sorry...

#doublepost

in all fairness having a PhD in physics should not mean you are well versed in the use of computers.

but if its your job to use them everyday you better fucking know how. x'D 

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

Slow internet... Sorry...

#doublepost

#DoublePostIsSexy

-Jim Hensen

I happen to know that..

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Please try not to quote anything that's older than 2 weeks, let alone 2 years

no,they know that. 

you dont qoute things that old on your own. after you psot it you realize and then cry yourself to sleep. 

dont deny it. its happened to you. 

-Jim Hensen

I happen to know that..

dual core at less than 2 jiggahertz i dont care what architecture or setup its at, all current proccesors at those specs=poo. 

literal. 

poo. 

web browsing. thats about it. 

-Jim Hensen

#DoublePostIsSexy

Why thank you

#DoublePostIsSexy

Why thank you

I used to work at a computer shop for IT support and service. Whenever something is wrong with the machine, they'll always ask if it's a virus or not. If the shortcut on the desktop is gone, they would think all of their data on the computer are gone. My mum isn't non-techy but she just double clicks on EVERYTHING she wants to open. That includes links and buttons on the web browser. She would double click on the Google searches to open them too and I got really annoyed watching her using the computer at some point of my life. I have another one but it's not really non-techies. My friend is a photographer but not much of a computer guy so he bought a netbook(yes, those 10-inches) and brought it to college. Apparently he actually used that netbook to edit photo and do his work. I remember him posting a comment which he thinks tiny computer are less powerful(true to some extent).

Oh god. The constant double click. I try to correct my mom, but it never stops. She works on a computer all day and double clicks everything. One time she was stumped by youtube because she double clicked the video and it would full screen instead of pause and then switch back when she went for a second attempt. 

Also, 10 inches is never enough

''do it anyway''

well its as simple as telling her you used a diffrent way.

My Rig  

PCPartPicker part list: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/kGNksY

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($379.00 @ shopRBC) 

CPU Cooler: RAIJINTEK THEMIS 65.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($34.99 @ NCIX) 

Motherboard: MSI CSM-H87M-G43 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($78.83 @ DirectCanada) 

Memory: Kingston HyperX 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($139.99 @ Memory Express) 

Storage: Kingston Fury 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($71.34 @ DirectCanada) 

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($92.95 @ Vuugo) 

Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card  ($298.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($125.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($66.99 @ NCIX) 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit)  ($116.00 @ shopRBC) 

Case Fan: Cougar Turbine 120 (4-Pack) 60.4 CFM 120mm  Fans  ($23.99 @ NCIX) 

Keyboard: Logitech G710 Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($114.99 @ NCIX) 

Mouse: Razer DeathAdder 2013 Wired Optical Mouse  ($76.99 @ Amazon Canada) 

Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Pro Headset  ($78.98 @ DirectCanada) 

Total: $2074.22

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when availableGenerated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-10 15:33 EDT-0400Build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/303263-the-dell-from-hell/#entry4121100 

Phone Compassion Spreadsheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EN6s426gyxqPloIqT4wQ7Y7yovkkQy_5B3djVN-N-R8/edit#gid=0

Gta V Pc Online Crew http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/344773-unofficial-linus-tech-tips-gta-v-crew-pc/

True, but they should have basic knowledge of them, since they use them everyday. I mean, the same is basically expected of elementary school and high school teachers. But our department has 100+ faculty with 1 part time IT guy. They need to hire more IT (shudders at the thought) if they're going to be that incapable. 

There is this person at the Verizion store when I was getting my S5. He directed me to cases, and I am like why? they make my phone look like shit. He is like its not waterproof. He said he put his S5 in the tub, and pulled it out and it got rekt. Its waterproof for real world settings, not for testing limits of IP certifications. You look ONLINE for limits, NOT throwing 600 dollars down the toilet.

That doesn't sound right. I've dunked my s5 and poured water on it plenty of times. I also take into the shower with me to listen to music every day(jawbone died a while back) and I haven't had any issues. Errr, aside from the cheap charge port cover falling off.

CPU Intel i7 8700k | Motherboard ASUS Z370-E | RAM Corsair Vengeance 16GB(8x 2GB) | GPU Asus Strix 1080ti | Case Corsair 570X | Storage Samsung 960 NVME M.2, Intel 530 240GB ssd, WD Caviar Black 1TB | PSU Corsair AX1200iCooling XSPC Photon 270 reservoir, D5 pump, Raystorm cpu block, and an EX360 rad | Keyboard Corsair k70 rgb | MousLogitech Proteus Spectrum rgb